2019-2020 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you two get an email?

Yep, email that just told me to check my application portal

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
People who have received financial aid packages, anyone received need-based grants?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed they increased the price of tuition by $2,000 from last year too :(

Got my award, all loans. Will be withdrawing my A and 10k scholarship in a few days, hope one of you gets it!

• Sad
Also got all loans beyond the 15k deans scholarship. Unfortunate.

• Love
Was anyone able to sign up for an appointment via the Financial Aid Counseling Request form? No available meeting times ever showed up for me. Perhaps it will open up tomorrow. Or it was completely booked almost instantly, which doesn't seem likely.

Was anyone able to sign up for an appointment via the Financial Aid Counseling Request form? No available meeting times ever showed up for me. Perhaps it will open up tomorrow. Or it was completely booked almost instantly, which doesn't seem likely.

I was. Email them!

I just finished my Financial aid meeting. Basically, your award is set, there is no award matching. Since all I received were loans, I am likely to be withdrawing my acceptance, unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my Financial aid meeting. Basically, your award is set, there is no award matching. Since all I received were loans, I am likely to be withdrawing my acceptance, unfortunately.

+1, asked about matching a scholarship and was told BU doesn't do that

So what your saying is there no chance for us to receive a merit scholarship from someone who dropped their A or decided to go elsewhere

So what your saying is there no chance for us to receive a merit scholarship from someone who dropped their A or decided to go elsewhere

I only asked about need-based aid. Not sure about merit

I asked that too
Apparently the scholarship is determined through a specific formula and was told it's set in stone...

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any success emailing the financial aid office to set up an appointment, I’ve tried to set up one multiple times through the YouCanBook me link but it states there is no availability

Withdrew because this was my most expensive A (EFC of 0 too lol). Really liked the mission but not worth the price tag for me. Good luck to everyone else!

Where can we find the recorded virtual open house sessions?

So accepted students... are Questions 3 and 4 (unique experiences/anything else) truly optional? I'm a pretty traditional applicant (one gap-year), so I feel like I don't really have anything to add.

Anyone else still waiting for financial aid award?

Reactions: 3 users
Most likely will withdraw as well. In my opinion the school is definitely not worth the price that they're asking. Yes, BUSM has high MCAT/GPA standards but other than that it's an above average school at best.
Also another deciding factor for me is the rumors that have been circulating that BUSM will not start classes until 2021. I've heard this from multiple people in Boston. Looking at how bad the situation is in Massachusetts, that rumor is most likely true in my opinion.
Goodluck to everyone else.

Just a clarification, these are ongoing considerations that are mostly coming from the main undergraduate campus and not from the medical school.

Also, they're thinking they may have to cancel in-person instruction, not all Fall 2020 classes altogether.

BUSM 2020 Virtual Commencement

It's interesting to see last 5 min where candidate says what they thought they will do (specialty) and actually what they will be doing...
We all will start similar journey soon and will see where we end up after 4 years.

Sorry if this has been answered before but WL is unranked correct?

Just a clarification, these are ongoing considerations that are mostly coming from the main undergraduate campus and not from the medical school.

Also, they're thinking they may have to cancel in-person instruction, not all Fall 2020 classes altogether.
if the undergrad is shut down the med school will be too. albeit with online classes

Yeah, that's what my friends in Boston were saying.
I'm sure some of you don't care about that, but for me it's just added stress that I don't want during my M1 year. If you have the option of staying away from Boston and NY schools then I would do that given how bad the coronavirus situation is in those places. That's especially true of BU because they were one of the first schools to cancel classes for the year. But obviously some people don't have the privilege of having multiple schools to choose from.
Just my 2 cents!
If schools decide to move online, I don't think it would be unique to Boston and NYC schools. Because people are traveling from all over to wherever school they choose, IF schools choose to move online, it will probably be unilateral imo

Reactions: 4 users
That's a possibility but I can't imagine a school in Georgia, for example, having the same opening guidelines as a school in the heart of New York City.
I personally think that by the Fall, most medical schools/ universities will open. Those schools that do open will have coronavirus testing (including IgG testing) as an entrance requirement.
I would also agree most schools will be open. With many states discussing reopening, schools will probably walk back from any online discussions in the summer in favor of testing on arrival.

How's the waitlist gang holding up? Do we know any past trends from the previous years/when to expect something by?

How's the waitlist gang holding up? Do we know any past trends from the previous years/when to expect something by?
Last year, or a couple of years ago, nobody got off the waitlist... this might be anecdotal however. Then again, this year has been a series of unprecedented events, so anything can happen.

During the instagram Q&A Dr. Goodell said that as of right now the class is still overbooked and they don't anticipate any movement until after the April 30th deadline.

Where did you hear this from @coffee&scrubs ?
Well the MSAR has said for the last couple of years that they accept 20 of the 300 waitlisted applicants, but on last year's school specific thread (or the year before, you can go back and look), people had called the admissions office and were told multiple times that no one was taken off the waitlist.

Just got my award and while I was very happy with the package, it still wasn't quite as good as my other school choice so I will be withdrawing. Hopefully the scholarship goes to one of you! Best of luck :)

Will also likely be withdrawing - hope my award package goes to one of yall as well :)

Just got my award and while I was very happy with the package, it still wasn't quite as good as my other school choice so I will be withdrawing. Hopefully the scholarship goes to one of you! Best of luck :)
Will also likely be withdrawing - hope my award package goes to one of yall as well :)
If you don't mind, Just curious, what school are you guys selecting?

I am debating between Tufts and BU. Any thoughts? and hoping for WL movement at other college.

I am debating between Tufts and BU. Any thoughts? and hoping for WL movement at other college.
Unless there's finances at play, the biggest question you have to answer is what kind of patient population do you want to serve. BU is focused on patients with complex social needs.

Does anyone know when waitlist movement will start at BU? I know they say that most of the movement will be in June, but does that mean they don't accept anyone in May?

Debating on withdrawing from the WL here. BU is nice but not BU price tag nice

• Haha