Sep 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
You have a very good understanding of the problem and have wrapped up the thoughts of most admissions offices and applicants well. In fact what you are saying is what I preached to my UCF interviewee groups last year. My time on the the Committee for Admissions (COA) ended ~4 years ago but I still have a strong voice along with many counterparts around the nation. I could go into a long explanation as to why the system changed, but it short the AAMC used this ridiculous anti-trust court case that everyone knew would get no traction, predictably the judge ruled that there was no anti-trust as long as there were no finances involved by admissions. (Please note that Admissions has no control of finances/scholarships. They may receive information from their own scholarship committees to pass to applicants.) The judge also commented that the current (now past) admissions process did not did not appear to violate anti-trust. The AAMC had already strong-armed the change through COA and was not about to reverse course because their real goal was to remove themselves from any legal risk and shift it all to the med programs. "IMO" the AAMC took advantage of the case they knew was ridiculous and used it to change the rules and, most importantly to them, get themselves out of a potential legal risk situation. Also IMO there was likely a national situation (on-going for years) where a few medical programs were likely practicing "back room" agreements off the books where, if questioned, the AAMC could be implicated.

In truth the AAMC/COA was never an enforcer of rules in the prior process, enforcement was always up to programs as far as their own process rules were within agreed upon boundaries. They did intercede on the behalf of a program if one program felt that another program was not working in accordance with the community agreed-upon Traffic Rules (Protocols). As you correctly indicate the new process provides the med programs with no tangible knowledge of anything about the acceptance of an applicant except that they are accepted somewhere in the MD world. The new process also gives med programs authority to determine their own CTE deadline authority after April 30. Some programs set this unreasonably early to "lock down" applicants and deny them wait list opportunities. This is bad for applicants and for the med school community for obvious reasons. There are many other things about these changes that are very disturbing to med programs. Active conversations continue between the med programs and AAMC to try to modify and mollify.

Regarding your idea, it has some merit but the med community has to come to a consensus. The major problem that will have to be overcome in some way will be to provide the med programs with some information about who is holding acceptances/wait list offers. The AAMC/COA maintains that providing us with a number (not the school) violates student confidentiality in their opinion; even providing us with zero is a violation. We have a different opinion and need something tangible to enforce any rules. As we agree without some information enforcement impossible.
If anyone wants a really good read and good laugh, please read the court case for this.

Thank you for informing us about this, overall it was a fantastic read.

Reactions: KnightDoc

Stoich91

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2016
Based on similar issues people had had in this thread earlier, I would make sure to contact the admissions office! Since it’s beyond the given time frame for AORTA I don’t think it will hurt you, and of course you want your app to be in active consideration as soon as possible
Thank you for the courage to send an email! :) And good luck to the entire SDN network; you guys have made the journey a lot easier.

Reactions: callmeboba

On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It seems like they're not going in order of receiving applications for sending out interview invites?
Schools rarely go in order. It's about the competitiveness of application.

netflix007

2+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So with the recent breaking ties with the hospitals, how has it been affecting the students and school? If anyone could shed some light on that, that would be great!

OriginsInsertions

2+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So with the recent breaking ties with the hospitals, how has it been affecting the students and school? If anyone could shed some light on that, that would be great!
I'd like to know this as well, and how the building of the new hospital will affect clinicals for c/o 2024.

MrsDrDr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd like to know this as well, and how the building of the new hospital will affect clinicals for c/o 2024.
When I interviewed, they said it was really only affecting this year's M3s. By next year the hospital will be completed (supposedly) and by time c/o 2024 is in clinical years, it will be no issue at all.

SnP500

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
When I interviewed, they said it was really only affecting this year's M3s. By next year the hospital will be completed (supposedly) and by time c/o 2024 is in clinical years, it will be no issue at all.
To add on, while we lost partnerships with Orlando health and advent health, we gained partnerships with HCA hospitals, which are one of the larger hospital systems in the state. So there are plenty of places to do your rotations. In addition, you can still do your elective rotations during fourth year at Orlando and advent health. Again, this really won’t be an issue for your class.

REL

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2005
To add on, while we lost partnerships with Orlando health and advent health, we gained partnerships with HCA hospitals, which are one of the larger hospital systems in the state. So there are plenty of places to do your rotations. In addition, you can still do your elective rotations during fourth year at Orlando and advent health. Again, this really won’t be an issue for your class.
Also include the other Lake Nona Hospitals, VA and Nemours Peds, both offer many rotations, electives, and residencies. The multiple systems helps our students to be flexible with many different procedures and systems.

Last edited:

netflix007

2+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
just a general question! Are these hospitals close to campus or are they quite far? I briefly remember someone mentioning that they are distant

REL

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2005
just a general question! Are these hospitals close to campus or are they quite far? I briefly remember someone mentioning that they are distant
Some are in Lake Nona, others in the general Orlando area, and some are more distant. For the more distant rotations we will provide housing for the duration of the training period.

Nov 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, I am somewhat of a non traditional applicant. I received my B.S. in physics, and then later decided to go back to school and pursue a career in medicine. I have since completed a M.S. degree in Biomedical sciences. I earned both my degrees at U.C.F. During my Master's coursework, my mother was diagnosed with cancer, and I spent a lot of time taking care of her. This pushed my applications back into late August-early September. I am AORTA-EFI.

My question is whether I should be worried at this point having not received an interview invite, and whether non traditional students are interviewed later since some of my peers are experiencing the same thing. I am also worried if I applied late, even though I explained this situation in my secondary.

Jan 10, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, I am somewhat of a non traditional applicant. I received my B.S. in physics, and then later decided to go back to school and pursue a career in medicine. I have since completed a M.S. degree in Biomedical sciences. I earned both my degrees at U.C.F. During my Master's coursework, my mother was diagnosed with cancer, and I spent a lot of time taking care of her. This pushed my applications back into late August-early September. I am AORTA-EFI.

My question is whether I should be worried at this point having not received an interview invite, and whether non traditional students are interviewed later since some of my peers are experiencing the same thing. I am also worried if I applied late, even though I explained this situation in my secondary.
Gpa? Mcat?

if you’re competitive, i’d say dont worry. I’m an orlando native so i was hit with a “we have an opening next friday, would you be able to make it”. Which was like 2 weeks ago

Reactions: comet2sixty
Nov 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Gpa? Mcat?

if you’re competitive, i’d say dont worry. I’m an orlando native so i was hit with a “we have an opening next friday, would you be able to make it”. Which was like 2 weeks ago
MCAT was 511 which I took in the middle of taking care of my mom, It could've been better. GPA is not perfect by premed standards from when I was a physics major, but I went back and completed 50 hours post bacc then masters with a 4.0. I also have a lot of clinical experience as a full time medical oncology scribe here in Orlando.

Jan 10, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
MCAT was 511 which I took in the middle of taking care of my mom, It could've been better. GPA is not perfect by premed standards from when I was a physics major, but I went back and completed 50 hours post bacc then masters with a 4.0. I also have a lot of clinical experience as a full time medical oncology scribe here in Orlando.
Could update a letter of interest, thats what i did and it work ! Maybe mention your mother and staying with her in orlando

Reactions: comet2sixty
Nov 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks everyone! This is my first application cycle, and it's good to hear from others in the process. I'll try and relax some. I guess I'm starting to think about whether or not to retake the MCAT if I don't get accepted this go around.

Oct 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks everyone! This is my first application cycle, and it's good to hear from others in the process. I'll try and relax some. I guess I'm starting to think about whether or not to retake the MCAT if I don't get accepted this go around.
Unless you're dead set on going to a big name school I don't think the stress of taking the MCAT again is worth it if you already have a pretty good score of 511 (congrats btw). Also I submitted my secondaries in mid september and I recently got an interview from UCF so you're definitely not too late, just try to relax and interviews will come eventually.

Oct 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
just got put on the lowest wait list, I’m a little surprised by this. But I think it may also be because I’m not from Florida since my stats and ec’s are good. I would’ve liked moving out to florida, but it’s all good. I do like the place I’ve been accepted to too. Good luck to the rest of yalls cycles