-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Central Florida
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
no, I don't think any school goes exactly in order. I'm sure they have a system but it seems pretty random to meIt seems like they're not going in order of receiving applications for sending out interview invites?
D
deleted858665
Got an II here this week. LM mid-high 70s, complete early September. Can't wait to visit Lake Nona!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems like they're not going in order of receiving applications for sending out interview invites?
Schools rarely go in order. It's about the competitiveness of application.
So with the recent breaking ties with the hospitals, how has it been affecting the students and school? If anyone could shed some light on that, that would be great!
D
deleted858665
I'd like to know this as well, and how the building of the new hospital will affect clinicals for c/o 2024.So with the recent breaking ties with the hospitals, how has it been affecting the students and school? If anyone could shed some light on that, that would be great!
I'd like to know this as well, and how the building of the new hospital will affect clinicals for c/o 2024.
When I interviewed, they said it was really only affecting this year's M3s. By next year the hospital will be completed (supposedly) and by time c/o 2024 is in clinical years, it will be no issue at all.
To add on, while we lost partnerships with Orlando health and advent health, we gained partnerships with HCA hospitals, which are one of the larger hospital systems in the state. So there are plenty of places to do your rotations. In addition, you can still do your elective rotations during fourth year at Orlando and advent health. Again, this really won’t be an issue for your class.When I interviewed, they said it was really only affecting this year's M3s. By next year the hospital will be completed (supposedly) and by time c/o 2024 is in clinical years, it will be no issue at all.
Also include the other Lake Nona Hospitals, VA and Nemours Peds, both offer many rotations, electives, and residencies. The multiple systems helps our students to be flexible with many different procedures and systems.To add on, while we lost partnerships with Orlando health and advent health, we gained partnerships with HCA hospitals, which are one of the larger hospital systems in the state. So there are plenty of places to do your rotations. In addition, you can still do your elective rotations during fourth year at Orlando and advent health. Again, this really won’t be an issue for your class.
Last edited:
just a general question! Are these hospitals close to campus or are they quite far? I briefly remember someone mentioning that they are distant
Some are in Lake Nona, others in the general Orlando area, and some are more distant. For the more distant rotations we will provide housing for the duration of the training period.just a general question! Are these hospitals close to campus or are they quite far? I briefly remember someone mentioning that they are distant
comet2sixty
Full Member
Hello, I am somewhat of a non traditional applicant. I received my B.S. in physics, and then later decided to go back to school and pursue a career in medicine. I have since completed a M.S. degree in Biomedical sciences. I earned both my degrees at U.C.F. During my Master's coursework, my mother was diagnosed with cancer, and I spent a lot of time taking care of her. This pushed my applications back into late August-early September. I am AORTA-EFI.
My question is whether I should be worried at this point having not received an interview invite, and whether non traditional students are interviewed later since some of my peers are experiencing the same thing. I am also worried if I applied late, even though I explained this situation in my secondary.
My question is whether I should be worried at this point having not received an interview invite, and whether non traditional students are interviewed later since some of my peers are experiencing the same thing. I am also worried if I applied late, even though I explained this situation in my secondary.
Gpa? Mcat?Hello, I am somewhat of a non traditional applicant. I received my B.S. in physics, and then later decided to go back to school and pursue a career in medicine. I have since completed a M.S. degree in Biomedical sciences. I earned both my degrees at U.C.F. During my Master's coursework, my mother was diagnosed with cancer, and I spent a lot of time taking care of her. This pushed my applications back into late August-early September. I am AORTA-EFI.
My question is whether I should be worried at this point having not received an interview invite, and whether non traditional students are interviewed later since some of my peers are experiencing the same thing. I am also worried if I applied late, even though I explained this situation in my secondary.
if you’re competitive, i’d say dont worry. I’m an orlando native so i was hit with a “we have an opening next friday, would you be able to make it”. Which was like 2 weeks ago
comet2sixty
Full Member
Gpa? Mcat?
if you’re competitive, i’d say dont worry. I’m an orlando native so i was hit with a “we have an opening next friday, would you be able to make it”. Which was like 2 weeks ago
MCAT was 511 which I took in the middle of taking care of my mom, It could've been better. GPA is not perfect by premed standards from when I was a physics major, but I went back and completed 50 hours post bacc then masters with a 4.0. I also have a lot of clinical experience as a full time medical oncology scribe here in Orlando.
id say try not to worry too much ive been AORTA for a hot minute (2 almost 3 months) and UCF hasnt said a word. If it happens it happens
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could update a letter of interest, thats what i did and it work ! Maybe mention your mother and staying with her in orlandoMCAT was 511 which I took in the middle of taking care of my mom, It could've been better. GPA is not perfect by premed standards from when I was a physics major, but I went back and completed 50 hours post bacc then masters with a 4.0. I also have a lot of clinical experience as a full time medical oncology scribe here in Orlando.
comet2sixty
Full Member
Thanks everyone! This is my first application cycle, and it's good to hear from others in the process. I'll try and relax some. I guess I'm starting to think about whether or not to retake the MCAT if I don't get accepted this go around.
Unless you're dead set on going to a big name school I don't think the stress of taking the MCAT again is worth it if you already have a pretty good score of 511 (congrats btw). Also I submitted my secondaries in mid september and I recently got an interview from UCF so you're definitely not too late, just try to relax and interviews will come eventually.Thanks everyone! This is my first application cycle, and it's good to hear from others in the process. I'll try and relax some. I guess I'm starting to think about whether or not to retake the MCAT if I don't get accepted this go around.
II today, OOS, AORTA for 3 months, dates in Dec so it looks there’s a good amount of II left to go out!
Shahryar556
Full Member
just got put on the lowest wait list, I’m a little surprised by this. But I think it may also be because I’m not from Florida since my stats and ec’s are good. I would’ve liked moving out to florida, but it’s all good. I do like the place I’ve been accepted to too. Good luck to the rest of yalls cycles
Anyone know when this school releases its financial aid packages?
They tell you your position in the waitlist?just got put on the lowest wait list, I’m a little surprised by this. But I think it may also be because I’m not from Florida since my stats and ec’s are good. I would’ve liked moving out to florida, but it’s all good. I do like the place I’ve been accepted to too. Good luck to the rest of yalls cycles
They tell you your position in the waitlist?
They tell you which third you're in: top, middle, or bottom.
.
Last edited:
for those who have interviewed, how is the dinner with med students the night before the interview?
Some bangin pizza, one bite, everybody knows the rules
@tucanjose Current M1 here, highly reccomend going to the pre-interview dinner! Alot of us M1's and M2's go to them and are able to provide you guys with valuable insight into the process, the school and other questions you may have! Plus we are in n way involved with admissions so its a very relaxed environment 🙂
D
deleted1012097
II just now! IS, LM 69, January date scheduled.
When were you complete?
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1012097
10/8
So did they give you any December dates? Congrats!!!
SteministUnderGrad
Full Member
II on Thursday (11/21) at around 3 p.m. So excited!
IS, LM~70, complete 10/7, ORM
IS, LM~70, complete 10/7, ORM
.
Last edited:
SteministUnderGrad
Full Member
I was scheduled for a December date FYI. Maybe it depends on your proximity to the school, who knowsNope early January at the earliest.
D
deleted858665
Can any students or REL shine some light on the hospital relationship changes and how this would affect the incoming class's clinical education? Adding the stress of traveling long distances for clinical rotations onto doing well in them concerns me. I'm assuming that by the time I'd be in M3 the new hospital would be open, but is it realistic to do clinicals all at Lake Nona once the hospital is built?
.
Last edited:
D
deleted858665
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm a bit concerned about that since the specialties I'm interested in might not be available to rotate on campus, but I like that population diversity.It won’t be a large hospital, I think less than 100 beds to start with room to expand. I imagine people will have to go to Ocala or Kissimmee or Gainesville still. The VA and Nemours Children’s is on the UCF campus though.
I will address the clinical partnership issue like I did in last year's thread. The short answer to all of this is the MATCH list. We have compiled the last 2-3 years of matches into specialties based on the individual Florida MD school match lists. Looking specifically at the nine traditionally most difficult and considered high-level specialties UCF and UM come out on top. We also have been building residency positions over the last 3 years and will have the final ~200 of 650 residencies open in the next two years. This does not count the residencies also brought by our Lake Nona VA and Nemours partners. More to follow (MTF).Thanks for clearing that up. I'm a bit concerned about that since the specialties I'm interested in might not be available to rotate on campus, but I like that population diversity.
D
deleted858665
I appreciate the detailed reply! This assuages a lot of my concerns.I will address the clinical partnership issue like I did in last year's thread. The short answer to all of this is the MATCH list. We have compiled the last 2-3 years of matches into specialties based on the individual Florida MD school match lists. Looking specifically at the nine traditionally most difficult and considered high-level specialties UCF and UM come out on top. We also have been building residency positions over the last 3 years and will have the final ~200 of 650 residencies open in the next two years. This does not count the residencies also brought by our Lake Nona VA and Nemours partners. More to follow (MTF).
This is very encouraging as far as residencies go, but, as you know, really does not address the concerns regarding the rotations, especially since the students comprising your past 2-3 years of matches had the benefit of training at Orlando Health and Advent. I am hoping this resolves itself in a few years when it's my turn to apply. How legit are the concerns expressed in the recent Orlando Sentinel article regarding the quality of training at HCA facilities, and what, if anything is being done to address them in the short term?I will address the clinical partnership issue like I did in last year's thread. The short answer to all of this is the MATCH list. We have compiled the last 2-3 years of matches into specialties based on the individual Florida MD school match lists. Looking specifically at the nine traditionally most difficult and considered high-level specialties UCF and UM come out on top. We also have been building residency positions over the last 3 years and will have the final ~200 of 650 residencies open in the next two years. This does not count the residencies also brought by our Lake Nona VA and Nemours partners. More to follow (MTF).
Is the dinner the night before the interview required? In the email, it doesn't say it's optional.
It's not required, but it is highly recommended. You get good food, info about interview day/the school from current students, and you're able to ask whatever questions you'd like in a laid back environment. It'll benefit you to go if you're able.Is the dinner the night before the interview required? In the email, it doesn't say it's optional.
For those who have been accepted, Where did you submit the Residency Classification form? Snail mail via the address at the bottom, or did you email a scan of the form to the admissions office @ [email protected] ?
@REL @Hi_I'mPaul @djsbaseball2014 @foodie96 @CaptainPoopyPants
I'm old school, so I actually faxed it to the fax number. I'm sending them an e-mail today to see if they received everything, so I'll let you know.
I did the latter!For those who have been accepted, Where did you submit the Residency Classification form? Snail mail via the address at the bottom, or did you email a scan of the form to the admissions office @ [email protected] ?
Awesome, thanks so much!I did the latter!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bestestmench
Full Member
Has anyone had any luck after sending an update?
bestestmench
Full Member
Anyone who received an II or acceptance have any idea what about your experiences/apps resonated with UCF specifically?
snowmonkey1023
New Member
I was told that I was in the top 1/3 of the waitlist. Is it possible to be dropped lower on the waitlist as more interviewees from later interview dates are filed on this list throughout the cycle?