2019-2020 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was granted an interview. Does anyone know if it's going to be an entirely closed file interview? It'd be helpful to know if there are going to be stations that are going to be based on my app.

Members don't see this ad.

I was granted an interview. Does anyone know if it's going to be an entirely closed file interview? It'd be helpful to know if there are going to be stations that are going to be based on my app.

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats and state status?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for the secondary essay? I understand it to mean, what will CMU give you? What will you give CMU? I dont get this part "Include how your motivation has influenced your preparation for your future career in medicine." I appreciate any help!

Any advice for the secondary essay? I understand it to mean, what will CMU give you? What will you give CMU? I dont get this part "Include how your motivation has influenced your preparation for your future career in medicine." I appreciate any help!

I think they are getting at: how did you interests influence you to pursue activities that has prepared you for a career in medicine.

I think they are getting at: how did you interests influence you to pursue activities that has prepared you for a career in medicine.
Oh so basically, what activities did you do that made you choose/would help you in medicine?

Oh so basically, what activities did you do that made you choose/would help you in medicine?

Yeah, so like if you volunteered at a clinic that worked with individuals with disabilities, why did you do it and how did that prepare you for a career in medicine; at least that's how I interpreted the prompt lol

Is there anything that makes CMU different from other medical college in the US?

Last edited:
I have a question for you guys: I don't have an interview invite or rejection or anything yet, but is it normal to see a red exclamation mark sign by the "invited for interview" category?

I have a question for you guys: I don't have an interview invite or rejection or anything yet, but is it normal to see a red exclamation mark sign by the "invited for interview" category?
That's what I had prior to an II

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi congrats! stats and date of completion if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks! IS, for the purpose of anonymity I'll tell you my GPA is <3.5 and MCAT <510, so nothing spectacular. Do fit the mission very well tho and good ECs. Complete 7/10

Reactions: 2 users
II IS, sent 8/2, best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
3.8 501, I received an email 8/2 for the II.

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts on bringing a padfolio to the interview?

I plan to bring some type of notebook/padfolio in regards to the presentation/panel. Are you interviewing the 23rd as well?

II OOS now, complete 7/9 with zero ties to Michigan

Last edited:
II | OOS, complete 7/9. Received two Rs this morning so this made the day better

Reactions: 4 users
Scheduled for 10/11
if anyone else is flying in from oos for 10/11 feel free to message me to figure out the best way to get there!
I’m interviewing 9/27 from OOS... seems like only way is to fly into MBS international airport and rent a car from there

For this question: Please provide additional details about being underrepresented in medicine. 400 character
Did anyone use up nearly all the characters? Like, there isn't much you can say except being straightforward.

Current M4 at CMU, let me know if you have any questions! Good luck this application cycle, I'm rooting for you!!

Star.buck,

Can you speak about the Standardized Patient Program? I would just like to hear your experience and thoughts about it.

Star.buck,

Can you speak about the Standardized Patient Program? I would just like to hear your experience and thoughts about it.

Hey! So basically they are specially trained actors/actresses that have a carefully constructed script to simulate different diseases and help us learn different physical exam skills. I found our SP’s to be very good for the most part and the first 2 years experience with them definitely helped my eventual encounters with real patients.

@star.buck Not sure if you're allowed to answer, but a couple questions about the interview:

Are the MMI role-playing or situational?
Are there any traditional interview questions?

@star.buck Not sure if you're allowed to answer, but a couple questions about the interview:

To add on to this, I assume the interview will be close-file?

I believe it is closed file. Expect both role playing and traditional questions - which is typical for most schools. This is my guess from prior year trends though, not exact info for this year.

Mmi’s are not designed as something you can prepare for. They have your application - now they want to know who you are, how you react to situations, and if you’re a good fit for the school.

My best advice is: be yourself.

Interviewed yesterday- it was actually really fun! Everyone seems so nice there. I'm so glad this was my first ever interview because it was definitely low-key. Also CMU is a really beautiful campus and the College of Medicine building is BEAUTIFUL. It looks brand new and has comfy chairs lol.

Reactions: 7 users
Good luck to everybody applying! It's funny seeing things from the other side now lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed yesterday- it was actually really fun! Everyone seems so nice there. I'm so glad this was my first ever interview because it was definitely low-key. Also CMU is a really beautiful campus and the College of Medicine building is BEAUTIFUL. It looks brand new and has comfy chairs lol.

+1 on the comfy chairs

Just a heads up - as an M4 I'm not the best one to ask about curriculum questions in the first 2 years of school. They have made some improvements/changes to the curriculum since I went through it, which makes most of my information outdated. I'd highly recommend asking curriculum questions on this page so everyone can see the answers as well. :)

Hiya! I was hoping to ask some CMU students a bit more about the curriculum. I can tell everyone loves the facilities and community from the comments, but I was wondering more about the "adult, self-directed learning" from the curriculum page.

They have a TON of amazing resources for M1's on studying effectively (which I'm absolutely going to steal) but I don't really know how this realistically pans out on a daily basis...does this mean there is less lecture time and more individual study time per day? How does this look in a realistic study week compared to other schools?

Reactions: 3 users
Any Canadians applying this cycle or previously applied and been accepted?