You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Harvard
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted996731
You’re the ****. A Harvard ii isn’t ever going to be a mistake lol. Complete date if you don’t mind?ii guys holy **** imposter syndrome full blast
D
deleted910929
Congrats!!!!!! Do you mind sharing your stats and completion date?ii guys holy **** imposter syndrome full blast
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
qingcai
Full Member
You’re the ****. A Harvard ii isn’t ever going to be a mistake lol. Complete date if you don’t mind?
Thanks that's honestly so nice of you for saying!! complete 7/11
qingcai
Full Member
Congrats!!!!!! Do you mind sharing your stats and completion date?
Sure no worries! complete 7/11, LM = 73.6 (MCAT 516), ORM
Mr.Wick
Full Member
if i'm not mistaken, I remember seeing you on the UCSF thread with an ii already ~ you're a stud and should believe it! well deserved!ii guys holy **** imposter syndrome full blast
qingcai
Full Member
if i'm not mistaken, I remember seeing you on the UCSF thread with an ii already ~ you're a stud and should believe it! well deserved!
Thank you so much Mr. Wick!!! lol
I really, really appreciate the kind words
I'm free to myself for the next 3 hours and half. Any suggestions? Any cool places/food/sights?
ii guys holy **** imposter syndrome full blast
congrats!!Also, II! In complete shock.
Travelood
Full Member
Also, II! In complete shock.
EDIT: Complete 7/29
+1 Complete 9/1
D
deleted996731
Holy crap that turnaround time. Congrats!!+1 Complete 9/1
qingcai
Full Member
@qingcai @Ramo35 : Congrats to both of you! Do you know which interview dates HMS is on? (applied early Sept. so hoping it's not too late)
It's pretty early! There was actually a date for like Sept 26 I think, but the other dates were early October. Also in case you didn't know, the school is NOT rolling so it doesn't matter how early your interview is I believe. They send out all decisions in early March.
I'm free to myself for the next 3 hours and half. Any suggestions? Any cool places/food/sights?
If you enjoy vegetarian food, Clover is yummy. Bon Me has good fast casual asian food. Penguin Pizza has AMAZING pizza and a great craft beer list if you're into that. Also if you like ice cream, JP Licks is the bomb.
Edit: I say this as someone who works in Longwood, btw. Have eaten at these places many times. If I had to pick one I'd say go to Penguin 🙂
Last edited:
The letter is because you opted in to marketing emails and indicated that you were URM when you took the MCAT. Its a marketing email. No connection to admissions.Just got the letter in the mail from the Office of Recruitment and Multicultural Affairs "inviting me to apply" due to my MCAT scores. Pretty sure it's not worth it, but curious if anyone else has received the same with an II?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oioeoelgd154
Full Member
For those who already interviewed, did you receive your schedule via email or the portal beforehand? Thanks!
To add to this, did you guys find out who was interviewing you that day or in advance?For those who already interviewed, did you receive your schedule via email or the portal beforehand? Thanks!
D
deleted783578
To add to this, did you guys find out who was interviewing you that day or in advance?
They gave us our schedules at the morning orientation, which is also when we found out who our interviewers were.
genieinaflask
Full Member
Quick question before I email the admissions office, do you think they accept a writing-intensive biology course as writing prereq?
D
deleted972488
YesQuick question before I email the admissions office, do you think they accept a writing-intensive biology course as writing prereq?
The letter is because you opted in to marketing emails and indicated that you were URM when you took the MCAT. Its a marketing email. No connection to admissions.
I'm ORM and also unchecked the marketing box. It's the only marketing material I've gotten from any school this cycle so I'd say it was probably a mistake and doesn't mean much.
HST II. Completely Speechless. Complete 08/0X/19. See some of you there in Nov?
HST II. Completely Speechless. Complete 08/0X/19. See some of you there in Nov?
That's amazing! Congrats!
Congratz!!!! I'm so jealous XDHST II. Completely Speechless. Complete 08/0X/19. See some of you there in Nov?
filthy_premed
Full Member
any thoughts on the interview day? I heard it was really unstructured and I'm wondering if that's trueThey gave us our schedules at the morning orientation, which is also when we found out who our interviewers were.
Just got the R from MSTP, but a minute later was offered an II to Pathways!
Sorry about MSTP but that’s incredible about Pathways!!! Congrats! When were you complete?
Thanks! I don't think I can be too upset about the MSTP given the circumstances 🙂Sorry about MSTP but that’s incredible about Pathways!!! Congrats! When were you complete?
I was complete 7/8
9
907914
Anyone who has interviewed here have any feedback to give on what you thought of the interview day, program(s), school itself, and Boston?
Looking forward to my interview Tuesday, I just literally know nothing about the school beyond their website and “it’s Harvard”
Looking forward to my interview Tuesday, I just literally know nothing about the school beyond their website and “it’s Harvard”
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
spontaneous23
Full Member
Anyone who has interviewed here have any feedback to give on what you thought of the interview day, program(s), school itself, and Boston?
Looking forward to my interview Tuesday, I just literally know nothing about the school beyond their website and “it’s Harvard”
I think a lot of people have mentioned this, but the day was super unstructured. Had lots of opportunities to check out optional things though, and all the current students and faculty I met were very welcoming. I think no one in my group had an interview later than 3:30. The campus area was beautiful, Boston is great! From how the students spoke, it seems like you can find a resource for literally any type of program or activity you could be interested in, and there’s a lot of guidance and advising
D
deleted783578
Just to add to this -- I was one of (I think) three people who had interviews at 4:30 or 5, so don't plan on leaving early!I think a lot of people have mentioned this, but the day was super unstructured. Had lots of opportunities to check out optional things though, and all the current students and faculty I met were very welcoming. I think no one in my group had an interview later than 3:30. The campus area was beautiful, Boston is great! From how the students spoke, it seems like you can find a resource for literally any type of program or activity you could be interested in, and there’s a lot of guidance and advising
9
907914
Unfortunately had to schedule my flight out the next day because nothing left Boston heading back west after 650!Just to add to this -- I was one of (I think) three people who had interviews at 4:30 or 5, so don't plan on leaving early!
Awesome, sounds like it could be a potentially good school COL aside and great interview day!
D
deleted972488
I have never heard Harvard described this way. Lola potentially good school
spontaneous23
Full Member
I know nothing about Harvard except from Gilmore girls and “it’s Harvard.” Looking to be pleasantly surprised!
Oh also another thing I want to add: people seemed to LOVE the flipped classroom structure. Apparently there was a great deal of educational research that went into how they structured their curriculum and people very much enjoy the foundations portion. They also all seemed to like the 1-year preclinical, and even during that one year they spend one day a week in the hospital! Seems to me like they’ve implemented a very effective way of learning
D
deleted972488
This sounds great. I will be crossing my fingers for an interview here.Oh also another thing I want to add: people seemed to LOVE the flipped classroom structure. Apparently there was a great deal of educational research that went into how they structured their curriculum and people very much enjoy the foundations portion. They also all seemed to like the 1-year preclinical, and even during that one year they spend one day a week in the hospital! Seems to me like they’ve implemented a very effective way of learning
D
deleted958920
+1This sounds great. I will be crossing my fingers for an interview here.
Retweet.This sounds great. I will be crossing my fingers for an interview here.
9
907914
Excellent! My university biology department has just adopted flipped models for all upper division bio classes and I have TA’d for a couple of them and I absolutely love that style. Hope to be able to sit in on some of the classes!Oh also another thing I want to add: people seemed to LOVE the flipped classroom structure. Apparently there was a great deal of educational research that went into how they structured their curriculum and people very much enjoy the foundations portion. They also all seemed to like the 1-year preclinical, and even during that one year they spend one day a week in the hospital! Seems to me like they’ve implemented a very effective way of learning
yea the flipped classroom is definitely why I wanna go to harvard.
9
907914
What other reasons? *genuine question from a dude that threw a random dart and it stuck and wants to know more*yea the flipped classroom is definitely why I wanna go to harvard.
Attachments
D
deleted972488
Reputation. Research funding/opportunities.What other reasons? *genuine question from a dude that threw a random dart and it stuck and wants to know more*
Excellent! My university biology department has just adopted flipped models for all upper division bio classes and I have TA’d for a couple of them and I absolutely love that style. Hope to be able to sit in on some of the classes!
I sat in in HBS case studies a few times before and I really liked the learning style. I wish we had it at my UG. Lectures just go in one ear and out the other.
9
907914
But is the school actually better than any other T10/T20 or is it just the name?Reputation. Research funding/opportunities.
D
deleted972488
The quality of education you receive will likely be great no matter where you go to medical school (“top” whatever or otherwise). The differences lie in research funding, networking opportunities, and reputation when applying to residencies.But is the school actually better than any other T10/T20 or is it just the name?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
907914
Righteous, I can dig that. Makes total sense.The quality of education you receive will likely be great no matter where you go to medical school (“top” whatever or otherwise). The differences lie in research funding, networking opportunities, and reputation when applying to residencies.
Like other people have said, the interview day has a lot of free time. I would highly recommend sitting in on a class during your interview. We have 4 societies in class at the same time; everyone is friendly and would be happy to have you with us!Anyone who has interviewed here have any feedback to give on what you thought of the interview day, program(s), school itself, and Boston?
Looking forward to my interview Tuesday, I just literally know nothing about the school beyond their website and “it’s Harvard”
Anyone get an II from the HST program?
I sat in in HBS case studies a few times before and I really liked the learning style. I wish we had it at my UG. Lectures just go in one ear and out the other.
HMS is all case study for preclinical?