2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it stems from the fact that we are a "2 pass curriculum" meaning that we go through each body system twice while most schools only do 1 pass of each body system. Its not nearly as bad as everyone seems to say on SDN. It's just more fast-paced

Hmmm. Interesting. Western University also uses a 2 pass system. Although, I don't know if students there gripe about the same things regarding stress.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current students - when does the first tuition payment need to be made by?

Do COB people generally come off the waitlist?

I'm gonna assume some COB students will get off the WL, but I doubt that all of them will since they also have to compete with regular applicant pool as well. I believe they can call you through end of July so I'm sure there will be a lot of movement closer to end of April / May when people decide on other schools / withdraw. If worse comes to worst you can apply early next cycle and probably have a better shot. Good luck and wish you all the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Do COB people generally come off the waitlist?
I was waitlisted today as well. Someone asked during the interview if the COB waitlist and the general applicant waitlist is the same and Brooke said no. We are separate. So we are not on the same waitlist as other people. They waitlist a lot of COB students because they want to see how well we do second semester. Don’t freak about about being waitlisted. Keep doing well in school. If we get a 3.6+ in both semesters, I don’t see why they wouldn’t accept us. After all, they accepted us into this program with the intention of giving us spots if we do well in it(they reserve seats for us every year). So I wouldn’t worry about being waitlisted and just keep studying.

Probably a biased place to ask but does anyone have any thoughts on PCOM vs KCU advantages/disadvantages?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going to be honest, after you get past the shell-shock of the volume of material being presented it really isn’t that bad. Also, difficulty of a program is very subjective. Med school is hard no matter where you go. Whether you went here or somewhere else, you are going to think it’s hard. After that initial shell-shock of “welcome to medical school”, it will subjectively feel the same to you as your colleagues at other schools. In terms of what makes us “more difficult”, I haven’t really been able to identify anything. With that being said, I do think our exams are harder than other schools, just based on my own interactions with other medical students. Especially our OS and PCM exams. I would never pick a medical school based off it being difficult or not. It’s going to suck no matter what. Lol
Sorry still learning the med school lingo.
What is OS and PCM? Thank you! Incoming OMS1 at KCU-KC here!

Osteopathic Skills, principles of clinical medicine. They’re longitudinal classes that you take throughout the first two years. Basically, how to do OMM and how to be a doctor.

Sorry super basic question again, but I keep reading people on this thread post about Zanki. Is that the same as Anki? Im used to Anki from the MCAT but what is this Zanki?
Also can someone share if they use Anki in med school the same exact way as they did for the MCAT (asking those who used Anki for the MCAT and then again for med school)? If there is a different approach for Anki in med school, please share.

I will be deleting my MCAT Anki decks soon!

Sorry super basic question again, but I keep reading people on this thread post about Zanki. Is that the same as Anki? Im used to Anki from the MCAT but what is this Zanki?
Also can someone share if they use Anki in med school the same exact way as they did for the MCAT (asking those who used Anki for the MCAT and then again for med school)? If there is a different approach for Anki in med school, please share.

I will be deleting my MCAT Anki decks soon!

zanki is just a deck for anki...unfortunate naming. Zanki (the deck) covers all of First Aid, pathoma, sketchy(I think) and other board resources. Really, the deck you want now is the Anking deck, which combines all of those with easily sortable tag organization. Head over to reddit.com/r/medicalschoolanki

Reactions: 3 users
I believe that the plan starting next year is that OS and PCM will become one class for you guys. Not sure what they will call it, but apparently someone thought it was a good idea to re-integrate OMM into your "doctoring" class, because "this is an osteopathic school after all".

I believe that the plan starting next year is that OS and PCM will become one class for you guys. Not sure what they will call it, but apparently someone thought it was a good idea to re-integrate OMM into your "doctoring" class, because "this is an osteopathic school after all".

Whoa really? they're combining classes for the new class? That's not gonna change next year for us 1st years, right?

They did that for a little while for the current first years, it was cool because it was less time in the lab but when it came to testing it was a little confusing since they were still 2 different classes. But I think if they combined it into one class it would be good.

Apparently they used to be a combined course, but were separated years ago. Now someone has decided they should be reintegrated. I don't really care, so long as they keep lab times at or under two hours.

Reactions: 2 users
They did that for a little while for the current first years, it was cool because it was less time in the lab but when it came to testing it was a little confusing since they were still 2 different classes. But I think if they combined it into one class it would be good.

Really? I dont remember this lol. GIGU must be really getting to me

what is GIGU?
Gosh, is there a book where I can learn all these acronyms before med school starts? lmao :lol:

Just make new acronyms when you start to mess with everyone else, especially the students entering the year after you.

Anybody looking for a roommate? I'm a 21-year-old female from Kansas City and would love to find another girl to live with for this upcoming year. Private message or reply to this so we can chat!

Are tornadoes common in KC City?
I know when I interviewed at the Joplin, they said they have a tornado shelter.

Are tornadoes common in KC City?
I know when I interviewed at the Joplin, they said they have a tornado shelter.
They're common but usually not a big deal. We had one last May where the sirens were going on and we had to shelter but it ended up dying before getting to us. That was the only time we had one that got paid attention.

So I was curious about the timing to send a Letter or Intent? If you were told the admissions committee were meeting later in the week to discuss the interviews from 2-3 weeks ago, would it be beneficial to send the Letter of Intent prior to the admissions committee? Or should I wait to see what my fate is haha? Basically interviewed 2 weeks ago, admissions committee is meeting later this week. Should I send a LOI before the meeting?

So I was curious about the timing to send a Letter or Intent? If you were told the admissions committee were meeting later in the week to discuss the interviews from 2-3 weeks ago, would it be beneficial to send the Letter of Intent prior to the admissions committee? Or should I wait to see what my fate is haha? Basically interviewed 2 weeks ago, admissions committee is meeting later this week. Should I send a LOI before the meeting?

So I would send it after you get on a waitlist. I got put on the waitlist and they gave me instructions on how to submit a LOI at that time. Hopefully your thank you letters and interview expressed your desire to have KCU as your number one option but also i don’t see it hurting to send it in now if you’re concerned/want to do all you can as you are waiting

So I would send it after you get on a waitlist. I got put on the waitlist and they gave me instructions on how to submit a LOI at that time. Hopefully your thank you letters and interview expressed your desire to have KCU as your number one option but also i don’t see it hurting to send it in now if you’re concerned/want to do all you can as you are waiting
I was recommended to write a LOI only if I had already received a WL and had at least waited a month after the fact. It shows that you have given your LOI thought and have also considered other options you may have. Considerate, thoughtful, and intentional are what you want to convey. You may also have more to update them with in a months time, which is generally when they start pulling from the WL anyway.

has anyone heard anything about whether or not school will start on time?

I doubt they're planning that far ahead right now...too busy fighting fires to finish out this year. admins are pretty communicative--I'm sure they'll let us know as soon as they have a plan in place, one way or the other.

i'm trying to find an apartment and do some tours next month but COVID is testing me.

has anyone heard anything about whether or not school will start on time?

I think it mostly depends on what other schools are doing, they usually copy one another.

Seeing how the Olympics, the biggest global event this year, got postponed (when it usually starts in July), I wouldn't be suprised if orientation week, including white coat ceremony, got cancelled at the bare minimum at most schools.

I wouldn't be suprised if orientation week, including white coat ceremony, got cancelled at the bare minimum at most schools.
This is perhaps a possibility, but I doubt when you guys actually start class will change. Especially considering you don't hit the anatomy labs for awhile, if you had to you'd probably just start online.

thanks, everyone. it's definitely stressful as an incoming M1 trying to make plans in this time of uncertainty, so i hope all you current students are handling things well. keeping you all in my thoughts!

one bright spot is that we are truly all effected, some certainly more than others, but everyone is grappling with questions about the future. as much as some of us might enjoy complaining and criticizing the faculty and admins, I think they're doing an excellent job keeping the ship afloat and pointed into the waves.

Reactions: 2 users
one bright spot is that we are truly all effected, some certainly more than others, but everyone is grappling with questions about the future. as much as some of us might enjoy complaining and criticizing the faculty and admins, I think they're doing an excellent job keeping the ship afloat and pointed into the waves.
I'm just worried about apartments not letting us move.. lmao.

I'm just worried about apartments not letting us move.. lmao.
They are considered essential businesses and are still open. Most places won't let you tour but have an option for a virtual tour or something like that, and you can definitely still move (have a bunch of friends moving for 3rd year).

They are considered essential businesses and are still open. Most places won't let you tour but have an option for a virtual tour or something like that, and you can definitely still move (have a bunch of friends moving for 3rd year).
oh phew I was gon say.. :(

Hope everyone is staying mostly sane right now! I had a quick question about research, does most of the class do research with the various hospital systems in KC? I was wondering what I could do to get myself into research either at KCU or elsewhere in KC?

i'm trying to find an apartment and do some tours next month but COVID is testing me.

Feel that! My fiance and I are trying to buy a house near KC and our realtor is having trouble even getting into homes for virtual tours. Crossing fingers that we won't be homeless in July.

I know a lot of you are overwhelmed about how the current situation will impact starting school, finding places to live, etc. I totally get it and it's stressful; hell, I don't even know if I'll be able to take my Step 1 on my currently scheduled date. Just remember we're all in this together and we will get through this. The next year, with or without a virus, would be filled with uncertainty and anxiety for most of you, cause that's just how starting med school is. Work on your coping skills now. Use this time to enjoy your loved ones because that time will be scarce once you start school. It's hard, but try not to ponder the unknown too much. Everything will fall into place.

• Love
Reactions: 23 users
I know a lot of you are overwhelmed about how the current situation will impact starting school, finding places to live, etc. I totally get it and it's stressful; hell, I don't even know if I'll be able to take my Step 1 on my currently scheduled date. Just remember we're all in this together and we will get through this. The next year, with or without a virus, would be filled with uncertainty and anxiety for most of you, cause that's just how starting med school is. Work on your coping skills now. Use this time to enjoy your loved ones because that time will be scarce once you start school. It's hard, but try not to ponder the unknown too much. Everything will fall into place.
Thanks for this!!

Should I get a gym membership somewhere or is the KC on-campus one good enough?