2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Mayo Clinic

Members don't see this ad.

I see only one choice for Mayo (MN) in AMCAS. But in many blog, it says there are two campus (AZ and MN) and you have to apply separately to both campus. How do I apply to AZ campus?

I see only one choice for Mayo (MN) in AMCAS. But in many blog, it says there are two campus (AZ and MN) and you have to apply separately to both campus. How do I apply to AZ campus?

There are two choices on AMCAS:

1) Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
2) Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They are only accredited as one. From what I have heard, they have different stats, with Arizona having higher medians.

• Wow
They are only accredited as one. From what I have heard, they have different stats, with Arizona having higher medians.

Yes, accredited as one. Stats were different for the first year, but no difference between the campuses anymore per Dr. Bostwick. As a side note, they are really trying to emphasize that Mayo is a "national" medical school and are working to enhance the sense of community.

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question about their coursework requirements, does anyone know if the 1 year organic chem with lab can be satisfied by two quarters of organic chem lecture and one quarter of full time lab? My school only offered the sequence this way. I was going to ask them directly but it appears there is only a phone number or a generic online form to fill out without a place to ask my specific question. I plan to call on Monday to double check but was hoping someone had a similar experience. Thanks!

Quick question about their coursework requirements, does anyone know if the 1 year organic chem with lab can be satisfied by two quarters of organic chem lecture and one quarter of full time lab? My school only offered the sequence this way. I was going to ask them directly but it appears there is only a phone number or a generic online form to fill out without a place to ask my specific question. I plan to call on Monday to double check but was hoping someone had a similar experience. Thanks!

Pretty sure this is fine - my school has almost the exact same thing, so 3 credits orgo I and 3 credits orgo II, and a separate orgo lab that's 2 credits. As far as I know, no premed I've met has had trouble with it with their schools!! As long as it's the only thing your school offers, and that's what all the other premeds take, it's probs fine - don't sweat it

Pretty sure this is fine - my school has almost the exact same thing, so 3 credits orgo I and 3 credits orgo II, and a separate orgo lab that's 2 credits. As far as I know, no premed I've met has had trouble with it with their schools!! As long as it's the only thing your school offers, and that's what all the other premeds take, it's probs fine - don't sweat it
Thank you so much, you've eased my neuroticism for the day!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
anyone got secondary?

• Angry
A few years ago there was a GPA/MCAT screen for the secondary. But to my knowledge, that is no longer the case. In fact, partway through that cycle, the dean removed the screen and several applicants that had been ineligible for a secondary ultimately matriculated.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at last year, they may not send out secondaries until August 1st. With interviews starting end of August. Fast turn around time...git it.

really hoping that Mayo doesn't ask the whole "comment on the importance of diverse learning environments" from last year.....

really hoping that Mayo doesn't ask the whole "comment on the importance of diverse learning environments" from last year.....
I haven’t prewritten that one bc I’m counting on them dropping it. I can’t imagine how that question is useful for them for differentiating applicants

I haven’t prewritten that one bc I’m counting on them dropping it. I can’t imagine how that question is useful for them for differentiating applicants

I personally prefer that prompt to the typical personal diversity essays

Same!! Also didn’t per write bc hoping they drop it LOL

Got 2° here about an hour ago.

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools?
2. We are all differentiated from or connected to one another by individual inflections that constitute our diversity. Explain how your relationship with your own diversity and to the diversities of others manifests in your personal and professional activities.
3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

To be honest, at this point, I'm so ready to just stitch together responses from other secondaries I've already written, but these are different.

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine even if you gain acceptances to other highly ranked medical schools?
2. We are all differentiated from or connected to one another by individual inflections that constitute our diversity. Explain how your relationship with your own diversity and to the diversities of others manifests in your personal and professional activities.
3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

To be honest, at this point, I'm so ready to just stitch together responses from other secondaries I've already written, but these are different.

Glad they didn't change much from last year. I prewrote. :soexcited:

For the first question, would it be worthwhile to mention that I have worked in their simulation center and loved the facilities?

For the first question, would it be worthwhile to mention that I have worked in their simulation center and loved the facilities?

There is also a question where it asks you to check off your relationship with Mayo. This would be like Current or Past Mayo Employee right? And then there's a room for 500 words to explain your relationship, so I think you can also talk about it there.

There is also a question where it asks you to check off your relationship with Mayo. This would be like Current or Past Mayo Employee right? And then there's a room for 500 words to explain your relationship, so I think you can also talk about it there.
Do you think a 4 day excercise with the Army reserves in which I did their 'teamwork and communication in the hospital" training would be worthwhile? lol

What about "Unlike most other top schools, Rochester MN is in an affordable area with fantastic public schools available for my young family."?
I'm basically saying the first half of that. Lol. I think it's a good reason.

From previous years' threads it looks like Mayo screens pretty heavily, and not just with stats either. Maybe that's why it's going so slowly?

MSTP secondary received, there's only one question (in addition to letter of rec and PhD info):

In the space below, write a brief paragraph explaining why you are specifically applying to the Mayo Clinic Medical Scientist Training Program. (Limited to 500 characters.)

@PapaGuava

What does it mean relationship to the diversity of others for the second question?

Still waiting on secondary as well. Not the last one, but still waiting....They do seem to roll out pretty slowly, at least looking at last year's thread.

Secondary received!