2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure about others, but I have received these emails in the past 2 weeks!
Thank you for sharing that. Also, congrats on your As! Wishing you all the best in your decision making and medical studies

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I noticed on last year's forum that some applicants on waitlist received an interest-gauging email from Mayo. Has anyone received one yet?
I received one recently as well. Hopefully a good sign 🥺

To those who received an interest-gauging email, did you send a letter of interest or intent before receiving the email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody provide insight on the importance of the interest-gauging email? Is it if you get it "you're in", and if you don't then "hopefully you got accepted somewhere else"? I've sent a letter of intent but haven't received a "did you really mean it when you said you like us" email.

Can anybody provide insight on the importance of the interest-gauging email? Is it if you get it "you're in", and if you don't then "hopefully you got accepted somewhere else"? I've sent a letter of intent but haven't received a "did you really mean it when you said you like us" email.
I didn't receive one either, so at this point, I am hoping that they also accept those who didn't receive these emails

• Care
I would not put too much thought into these communications. They could be random. They could be only sent to people that haven't sent letters of intent/interest in the last 30 days. They could be sent in alphabetical order. Who knows. There were people from last year's thread who got accepted off the WL without receiving the email. There were also people that were accepted off the WL that received the email 2 or 3 days prior to their acceptance call. You could receive an email this week or next week and then be accepted a few days after.

Point is, these communications are unpredictable and you should not be losing sleep over them. Getting on Mayo's or any other T20's WL is wildly impressive as is, just be patient and remain confident in yourself.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I would not put too much thought into these communications. They could be random. They could be only sent to people that haven't sent letters of intent/interest in the last 30 days. They could be sent in alphabetical order. Who knows. There were people from last year's thread who got accepted off the WL without receiving the email. There were also people that were accepted off the WL that received the email 2 or 3 days prior to their acceptance call. You could receive an email this week or next week and then be accepted a few days after.

Point is, these communications are unpredictable and you should not be losing sleep over them. Getting on Mayo's or any other T20's WL is wildly impressive as is, just be patient and remain confident in yourself.
I can confirm "interest-gauging emails" are sent in reverse alphabetical order. ;)

But seriously, reading these emails is like reading tea leaves. Whether you receive one sometimes depends more on your interviewer than your status. The thing about an unranked waitlist is that anyone could be called up based on who withdrew their acceptance. For instance, if the accepted former Navy Seal trombonist withdraws the committee might go to the next former Navy Seal trombonist on the waitlist. "Be patient" is seldom comforting, but I'll repeat it anyway -- be patient; everyone is still in the running.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone on the waitlist received a call today yet? Wondering when they'll start making them...

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think calls will start going out tomorrow?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
1651606297428.jpeg

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
was still in shock but got the call around an hour ago!! Accepted to 2 + 2 FL!!! I never received emails before today asking specifically about my interest

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think there are still spots being offered or has movement slowed?

• Hmm
Do you think there are still spots being offered or has movement slowed?
There have not been any reported waitlist acceptances yet for the 4-year Minnesota track (which is where quite a bit of waitlist movement happens every year). So, if they've started sending out waitlist acceptances for the 4-year Minnesota track, they probably haven't sent out very many as of right now. Most movement will probably occur between now and next Friday, with pretty slow trickling movement after that.

There have not been any reported waitlist acceptances yet for the 4-year Minnesota track (which is where quite a bit of waitlist movement happens every year). So, if they've started sending out waitlist acceptances for the 4-year Minnesota track, they probably haven't sent out very many as of right now. Most movement will probably occur between now and next Friday, with pretty slow trickling movement after that.
I really hope so 🤞🏽

Do you know if that also applies to the 2+2 track?

• Hmm
I received a text from an associate dean earlier today saying to call them ASAP if I was still interested in Mayo. So I called and they asked me if they were to take me off the WL and match the financial aid of the institution I am planning to enroll in whether I would choose Mayo or not. I said that I needed more time to weigh out both options, but it seemed like they wanted me to decide then and there. This was for the 4-year Minnesota track. I have not received an official acceptance yet, so I am thinking my indecisiveness hurt me, but there are definitely spots open according to the associate dean I talked to.

• Hmm
They definitely want you to commit, I was emailed around 4 hours before my acceptance telling me there was an open spot but they needed to know my interest level.
On a different note they are very quick with fin aid, I received it literally 24 hours after the acceptance call

Full disclosure, I was on their interview waitlist. However, I got into schools in a similar tier and none of them pulled this crap lol. But I mean, who am I to judge? Mayo is a great school!

Congrats and I hope your indecisiveness didn’t shoot you in the foot. I think you still deserve to get the spot if it’s available.

I received a text from an associate dean earlier today saying to call them ASAP if I was still interested in Mayo. So I called and they asked me if they were to take me off the WL and match the financial aid of the institution I am planning to enroll in whether I would choose Mayo or not. I said that I needed more time to weigh out both options, but it seemed like they wanted me to decide then and there. This was for the 4-year Minnesota track. I have not received an official acceptance yet, so I am thinking my indecisiveness hurt me, but there are definitely spots open according to the associate dean I talked to.
I got the same call today. Do you think it’s good news besties???🥺🥺🥺

Doesn’t it seem like waitlists are moving at a snails pace this year? Almost every school I have a WL at is barely reporting any movement compared to years prior (including Mayo)

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
nope still waiting :(
I am a but cautious to share this (even though I wasn't told not to share or anything like that) but the dean I talked to (interest gauging phone call) told me they are meeting today and the results might go out either today or early next week. Not sure how helpful it is to people though...

So does that mean if we didn’t receive any call or email, we should lose hope lol?

I am a but cautious to share this (even though I wasn't told not to share or anything like that) but the dean I talked to (interest gauging phone call) told me they are meeting today and the results might go out either today or early next week. Not sure how helpful it is to people though...
If I don't mind me asking, I was wondering whether you have acceptances from other medical schools

So does that mean if we didn’t receive any call or email, we should lose hope lol?
No. There will continue to be a trickle of acceptances until orientation starts. Less hope? Maybe. Lose hope entirely? Nope.

Folks who got an interest-gauging phonecall, did you also get an interest-gauging email?

As of today, the Rochester FB group has +12 members this past week, while the Phoenix one has +4. Hopefully these numbers will grow this coming week

Reactions: 2 users
So do we think the bulk of movement is done? It seems odd that no one has reported a WL->A for the MN campus, but also Mayo historically has had most of their WL movement in the days immediately after traffic day.

Do we think there will be any more waitlist movement for the 2+2 program?

So do we think the bulk of movement is done? It seems odd that no one has reported a WL->A for the MN campus, but also Mayo historically has had most of their WL movement in the days immediately after traffic day.
What's traffic day? Is that the day after applicants have to narrow down to one school?

I have a weird update and would like to hear if any of you experienced something similar. I received another call on Monday from the same person who called me last week about my interest in Mayo. This time they asked why I am no longer interested in Mayo, and I just asked “what do you mean? I haven’t withdrawn my app or anything” and they responded with “it shows on my screen that you said no to Mayo” and then I just said I still have that I am planning to enroll at another school because I don’t have that option with Mayo. They sounded confused and asked “are you just waiting to hear back from our financial aid to choose us?” and I said “No, I haven’t even received an official acceptance.” They were very confused after that because they said I should’ve received the acceptance call last week, but I never did. They said they’d figure out what was going on and get back to me, they never did. However, a friend of mine received the interest gauging phone call yesterday (Tuesday) from the same person from Mayo, so I honestly don’t know what is going on with them.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
They are a bit messed up. I received total of 3 interest gauging phone calls (1 from one person and 2 from another) asking me to "commit" even before acceptance is given out (based on what sounded like though all they need me to say is yes I commit and they would send the acceptance right away). I just declined. Too much for me. They seem to be doing this backwards. As a medical school, if you want me as a student, you accept me and then woo me rather than asking for my allegiance even before getting accepted.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I have a weird update and would like to hear if any of you experienced something similar. I received another call on Monday from the same person who called me last week about my interest in Mayo. This time they asked why I am no longer interested in Mayo, and I just asked “what do you mean? I haven’t withdrawn my app or anything” and they responded with “it shows on my screen that you said no to Mayo” and then I just said I still have that I am planning to enroll at another school because I don’t have that option with Mayo. They sounded confused and asked “are you just waiting to hear back from our financial aid to choose us?” and I said “No, I haven’t even received an official acceptance.” They were very confused after that because they said I should’ve received the acceptance call last week, but I never did. They said they’d figure out what was going on and get back to me, they never did. However, a friend of mine received the interest gauging phone call yesterday (Tuesday) from the same person from Mayo, so I honestly don’t know what is going on with them.
So does that mean Mayo can see if we "planned to enroll" via AMCAS at another school? I thought that was a non-binding and anonymous feature that just helps out the other school with getting an idea of people's plans.

after April 30th (may 2nd this year) any school you are WL at can see if you are PTE’d to another school but I believe they cant see what school I think that stays anon

after April 30th (may 2nd this year) any school you are WL at can see if you are PTE’d to another school but I believe they cant see what school I think that stays anon
Lol hopefully that doesn’t screw me over. I planned to enrolled at another med school but would totally accept their offer if they gave me one (I’m waitlisted as well)

Lol hopefully that doesn’t screw me over. I planned to enrolled at another med school but would totally accept their offer if they gave me one (I’m waitlisted as well)
for what its worth I was PTE at another school and got pulled off the Mayo WL so dont think it matters to them much

Yeah the interest gauging calls are hilarious. They said if we can potentially offer half a ride would I accept. Why does a school like MAYO have to do this? Why not just accept who you want and let the student decide if they want to come or not??? Very weird tbh.

Yeah the interest gauging calls are hilarious. They said if we can potentially offer half a ride would I accept. Why does a school like MAYO have to do this? Why not just accept who you want and let the student decide if they want to come or not??? Very weird tbh.
Got the same phone call a couple hours ago. I agree with you 100%. Why do we gotta keep going with the hypotheticals??