2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone from 2+2 MN/FL had a phone call yet?
Wondering the same thing rn......I personally haven't!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do most of the phone calls happen on the first day does anyone know? Thank you Sherpa11 for a little bit of hope!

Just got accepted to MN/FL 2+2!!!! Interviewed mid-October, and got a call from the Dean of the Florida campus!! so so pleased!!

If anyone cares, I received a lot of communication from Mayo throughout the application process, including a scheduled zoom meeting and a phone call with Mayo faculty. I also sent LOIs and received highly ranked communication 2 times before this date.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted to MN/FL 2+2!!!! Interviewed mid-October, and got a call from the Dean of the Florida campus!! so so pleased!!

If anyone cares, I received a lot of communication from Mayo throughout the application process, including a scheduled zoom meeting and a phone call with Mayo faculty. I also sent LOIs and received highly ranked communication 2 times before this date.
Same here! Accepted for the 2+2 MN/FL about 1.5 hours ago!! Only received direct communication from my interviewer. Has the portal updated for you?!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Does this seem like it's it for calls until the WL then?

• Sad
Accepted!! So overwhelmed/still processing!!

Got the call like an hour ago.

My call was from an interviewer who is a doctor at mayo and I assume was working today hence the late(r) call - I wouldn’t assume the calls are all done, I just think the interviewers have different levels of availability to call!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Accepted!! So overwhelmed/still processing!!

Got the call like an hour ago.

My call was from an interviewer who is a doctor at mayo and I assume was working today hence the late(r) call - I wouldn’t assume the calls are all done, I just think the interviewers have different levels of availability to call!
Congrats!!

would you be able to say if you got the highly ranked email?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!

would you be able to say if you got the highly ranked email?
Yes, I received a personal message from someone on the admissions committee just after my interview and then sent a letter or interest (but not intent) more recently

Accepted about an hour ago! I did receive the highly ranked email and did email with my interviewer.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
So do we think they are done with calls now? 🤔
Let’s assume there are 10 different interviewers calling people (more likely more than 10). If you gave 10 different people a list of accepted students to call, do you think they’d call all of them in just 1 day? I think it’s likely some more acceptances trickle out today maybe even tomorrow. Def the bulk are sent out i think

• Love
OK, nothing reported on either thread this morning so far. Is this the part where we give up hope, or nah?

• Sad
  • Care
Don’t give up! Got a call this morning!! (HR Email, LOIntent, etc) there’s still some to go out I think!! Take a deep breath and eat some good lunch.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t give up! Got a call this morning!! (HR Email, LOIntent, etc) there’s still some to go out I think!! Take a deep breath and eat some good lunch.
Thanks! This helps! I just love this school so much. Got the "highly ranked" email, so hoping I'm at least destined for the waitlist.

Congratulations, by the way!

• Love
Thanks! This helps! I just love this school so much. Got the "highly ranked" email, so hoping I'm at least destined for the waitlist.

Congratulations, by the way!
I totally understand - I was also struggling last night and this morning but hang in there! It’s not over yet I think.

Just a quick word from a current Mayo student - as calls go out, do not spend one second of your time or ounce of your energy trying to read the tea leaves of who is getting what call when or what that means for you. I tried to do that during my cycle, had abandoned all hope of getting in, and then got the call VERY late one night aftee I had convinced myself it was over. So while it’s next to impossible to be patient, try to get your mind off it.

Since I happened to read this, if anyone who applied or has heard happy mews by getting a call, if you have questions about what Mayo’s like, feel free to message me. Happy to chat.
what's the housing situation like in Rochester? Do most students roommate or live alone? Is rent generally affordable? Also, i have read somewhere before that Mayo does internal rankings that is reported to residencies. Is this true from your experience? any advice on winter gear to bring?

Could any of the accepted people say if they were called by their interviewers or someone else from the committee?

Was accepted earlier today and spoke with one of my interviewers. Best of luck everyone !
Congrats, you’re having a fantastic cycle! Did they give any indication if they were wrapping up calls?

I appreciate the kind words! No doubt you will as well!
I’m not quite sure - from a personal hunch, i think they will likely be doing calls over the course of this week at the caller’s leisure. These people are busy hehe!

I appreciate the kind words! No doubt you will as well!
I’m not quite sure - from a personal hunch, i think they will likely be doing calls over the course of this week at the caller’s leisure. These people are busy hehe!
Thank you, that makes me feel a little better! Maybe we’ll be classmates at one of the schools we share! Have a good rest of your night!

Congrats, you’re having a fantastic cycle! Did they give any indication if they were wrapping up calls?
Not from my call, but the “end of interviewemail said the following:
  • Acceptance phone calls will be made starting February 22.
  • Scholarship awards for accepted applicants will be sent during the week of February 22 via email.
  • Alternate list placement and initial rejections will be sent by March 8 via email.
    * edited because it wasn’t in the highly ranked email

Last edited:
Not from my call, but the highly ranked email said the following:
  • Scholarship awards for accepted applicants will be sent during the week of February 22 via email.
  • Alternate list placement and initial rejections will be sent by March 8 via email.
Thanks! I didn’t get a high ranked email so I’m not exceedingly confident but still holding out hope

Not from my call, but the highly ranked email said the following:
Was this the highly ranked email? I got this same email but it didn’t say like “you are highly ranked among our applicants”. Did it say something explicitly like that?
I guess mine just said we’re deciding soon, we seek to accept those who rank us highly, and we hope you’ll communicate basically?

Reactions: 3 users
Was this the highly ranked email? I got this same email but it didn’t say like “you are highly ranked among our applicants”. Did it say something explicitly like that?
I guess mine just said we’re deciding soon, we seek to accept those who rank us highly, and we hope you’ll communicate basically?
Yeah, I got the same email too w/ a timeline but mine didn't explicitly say I was highly ranked. I thought everyone got this email

Yeah, I got the same email too w/ a timeline but mine didn't explicitly say I was highly ranked. I thought everyone got this email
Gotcha. I can’t remember if someone posted the full thing but I guess it was this plus an additional mention of you being highly ranked.

Has anyone reached out to admissions and asked how long acceptance calls are made?

I definitely was confusing emails! My bad. It was in the general “interviews have concluded send us updates” email not the “highly ranked email”. They email a lot and it mentioned if we ranked them highly which made me mix them up!

I definitely was confusing emails! My bad. It was in the general “interviews have concluded send us updates” email not the “highly ranked email”. They email a lot and it mentioned if we ranked them highly which made me mix them up!
No that makes more sense thank you!

Agreed. I think they are pretty much done with calls at this point, maybe a few stragglers. I'm holding out hope for WL because I'm sure there will be a fair amount of movement this year. It's not over until it's over!
For those who care, I received the highly ranked email and sent in an LOI.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
M a n i f e s t everyone. Realistically I think we all have until around 9pmEST tonight. Might be arbitrary but that is when I am officially losing hope.

ACCEPTED!!! Just got the call from one of my interviewers!!! SO EXCITED I CAN'T EVEN THINK STRAIGHT.

LM 70. Interviewed in November. Sent a letter of intent in December. Received a response to my letter stating that "my application was viewed favorably". Received check in e-mail from one of my interviews. Received highly ranked e-mail.
Congratulations!
Just wanted to know your thoughts on another school .. VTCSOM. Ofcourse VTCSOM is newer, but has a mandatory “publishable” research integrated in all 4 years and is small in size ( just 49 students) just like Mayo. But I’m not sure of their match list as most are in southern states and Texas and CA.
Can you share your thoughts- Thanks

Congratulations!
Just wanted to know your thoughts on another school .. VTCSOM. Ofcourse VTCSOM is newer, but has a mandatory “publishable” research integrated in all 4 years and is small in size ( just 49 students) just like Mayo. But I’m not sure of their match list as most are in southern states and Texas and CA.
Can you share your thoughts- Thanks

It's fairly common for schools to have a mandatory research requirement. One would hope that your contributions lead to possible publication(s). I am a big fan of small class sizes (especially when there is a generous student-to-faculty ratio). This was a determining factor in choosing Mayo. I don't know much about VTCSOM, though! Might be something worth taking to the school-specific thread and asking for advice from current students. Best of luck in deciding!

Well, they might be wrapping up soon, but here's to hoping for good news the rest of this week!

• Care
Ultimately we have no control over decisions and if/when we get calls, which has been hard to accept as my phone has been silent these last few days! Even so, we all worked so hard to even get interviews so we have a lot to be proud of!! Shoutout/thanks to everyone for updating this thread, it’s been great to know we’re all going through the same things.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Might be worth keeping in mind: a current MS1 mentioned in the AZ thread that calls would be going out over the next few days and early into next week, too. All the callers are volunteering their time, so it's based on their availability. Not sure if that'll be the case for MN, but don't give up yet, folks :thumbup:

Appreciate the information!

This whole process sucks, but I will say that imho this is one of the most supportive threads I've seen on SDN. Y'all are gonna be some fantastic doctors one day. Manifesting more As or lots of WL movement for us ~*~*

Edited: I can't use a computer and hit "post" too soon. oopsss

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
I was really hoping to hear from Mayo this week. I did receive the highly ranked e-mail. Up until Tuesday night, I was feeling very down to the point of anguish. Around 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, in the middle of an EMT shift (work is the only thing that has helped my survive the anxiety), I received an e-mail from the University of Florida, saying I have been accepted. Accepted MD (my first)! I am relieved, grateful, and excited for the future.

I am also satisfied. I believe I "left it all out on the field" for Mayo. I worked extremely hard to get an interview, convey my fit, etc. I did all I could. Hearing from Florida (one of those schools, like Mayo, whose pedagogy/philosophy/values actually excite me) reminds me that all (most) medical schools have the same worthwhile goal of training competent, empathetic, thoughtful, and well-rounded physicians, and all of us (most), as physicians-in-training, will have the same goal of caring for the sick and putting the needs of the patient first. At a certain level it really does not matter what school we attend (and Florida is absolutely great, perhaps even the best outcome for me personally). I did have my hopes very high and reached for the stars. For several months I even imagined the possibilities present for me at perhaps our country's brightest star (Mayo). But alas.

Sincere congratulations to all of you accepted to Mayo!

We all have a new mountain to climb, one even bigger than the last. Here is to our success!

EDIT: previously, when people told me it really does not matter what school you attend, I never wanted to believe them, because I was in love with Mayo. For those in love, you know what this is like. If it is somewhat hypocritical for me to now make the same statement when I previously was inwardly unbelieving, so be it! This is life. :)

• Care
  • Love
I was really hoping to hear from Mayo this week. I did receive the highly ranked e-mail. Up until Tuesday night, I was feeling very down to the point of anguish. Around 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, in the middle of an EMT shift (work is the only thing that has helped my survive the anxiety), I received an e-mail from the University of Florida, saying I have been accepted. Accepted MD (my first)! I am relieved, grateful, and excited for the future.

I am also satisfied. I believe I "left it all out on the field" for Mayo. I worked extremely hard to get an interview, convey my fit, etc. I did all I could. Hearing from Florida (one of those schools, like Mayo, whose pedagogy/philosophy/values actually excite me) reminds me that all (most) medical schools have the same worthwhile goal of training competent, empathetic, thoughtful, and well-rounded physicians, and all of us (most), as physicians-in-training, will have the same goal of caring for the sick and putting the needs of the patient first. At a certain level it really does not matter what school we attend (and Florida is absolutely great, perhaps even the best outcome for me personally). I did have my hopes very high and reached for the stars. For several months I even imagined the possibilities present for me at perhaps our country's brightest star (Mayo). But alas.

Sincere congratulations to all of you accepted to Mayo!

We all have a new mountain to climb, one even bigger than the last. Here is to our success!

EDIT: previously, when people told me it really does not matter what school you attend, I never wanted to believe them, because I was in love with Mayo. For those in love, you know what this is like. If it is somewhat hypocritical for me to now make the same statement when I previously was inwardly unbelieving, so be it! This is life. :)
Congrats on the Florida acceptance! but calls may totally not be over yet 🙏

Congrats on the Florida acceptance! but calls may totally not be over yet 🙏
You may be right. I am just trying to move on as best I can, and look toward the future. This process has been soooo long.

Does anyone know about when alternate invitations will come out based on previous threads? Do they call applicants for this?

Does anyone know about when alternate invitations will come out based on previous threads? Do they call applicants for this?
From an email they sent earlier: "Alternate list placement and initial rejections will be sent by March 8 via email."

totally feel like they said this during interview season, but does anyone recall whether mayo matches merit-based aid from elsewhere?
thanks!