2022-2023 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Mediocre_Reapp99 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota Secondary Essay Prompts (same as last year)
Please submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each).

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated.

2. We are all differentiated from or connected to one another by individual inflections that constitute our diversity. Explain how your relationship with your own diversity and to the diversities of others manifests in your personal and professional activities.

3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey this is my dream school. Super excited for this app. period

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have insight on when to expect this secondary?

Nice, could you share the prompts with us?
MD Essays

Essays: Please submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each).

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated.

2. We are all differentiated from or connected to one another by individual inflections that constitute our diversity. Explain how your relationship with your own diversity and to the diversities of others manifests in your personal and professional activities.

3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

@wysdoc

OOS secondary received :')

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS received. Good luck to everyone applying.

In writing secondary responses, how should I shorten the name "Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine", if at all? Just refer to it as "Mayo Alix", maybe?

OOS received. Good luck to everyone applying.

In writing secondary responses, how should I shorten the name "Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine", if at all? Just refer to it as "Mayo Alix", maybe?
Their acronym is MCASOM.

Is it beneficial to rank all the campuses instead of selecting "not interested" for your bottom choices? I am most interested in AZ and the AZ+FL tracks and don't see myself going to MN. I just worry that it looks bad to say I am not interested in one of their campuses bc it's obviously still amazing! What are y'all doing, rank them all or only the ones you really want?

Is it acceptable to use the acronym in a secondary? (I can feel how neurotic this question sounds haha)
Yes, it is generally acceptable to use an acronym in place of a school's full name if it is one the school itself uses. General ettiquette when using any acronym is to write out the full name and then put the acronym in parantheses after it, then use the acronym whenever you need to after.

There have been a number of threads on SDN stating this is the case.

i.e. North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)

Reactions: 2 users
Is it beneficial to rank all the campuses instead of selecting "not interested" for your bottom choices? I am most interested in AZ and the AZ+FL tracks and don't see myself going to MN. I just worry that it looks bad to say I am not interested in one of their campuses bc it's obviously still amazing! What are y'all doing, rank them all or only the ones you really want?
The secondary application explictly states "Please do not select or rank any campus track option to which you would not want to be accepted." If you do not see yourself at a particular program or campus, then there isn't really a point in applying for that track choice if you are inevitably going to withdraw if you are assigned that choice. I would stick with the campus choices you actually want to go to (in any capacity).

Reactions: 1 users
Does how you rank the campuses affect your admissions chances? For example, would you have a lower chance of getting in if you were to rank the Florida location above all others because it accepts the least number of students?

Last edited:
I plan to only rank the tracks with a full 4 years in each place because I have a family. I won't be able to just relocate to another state easily. I would only rank where you would willingly go!

Does anyone have any insight into tangible differences between the MN and AZ campuses? I can't really find much online regarding reasons why someone would choose one over the other (besides perceived prestige differences or weather)

Does anyone have any insight into tangible differences between the MN and AZ campuses? I can't really find much online regarding reasons why someone would choose one over the other (besides perceived prestige differences or weather)
Phoenix campus is much newer, all facilities within 5 years old. AZ doesnt have in house pediatrics so they would venture off to Banner and PCH. AZ is predominantly adult only. Small differences there, but thats some off the top of my head.

Question - Is there any chance of acceptance to this school without research? Without going into to many details, I feel I am a unique applicant in that I have started a business and a charity that has been very meaningful to me. Would appreciate anyones input on this.

Stats:
3.83 cGPA
3.9 sGPA
512 MCAT

Thanks again.

Question - Is there any chance of acceptance to this school without research? Without going into to many details, I feel I am a unique applicant in that I have started a business and a charity that has been very meaningful to me. Would appreciate anyones input on this.

Stats:
3.83 cGPA
3.9 sGPA
512 MCAT

Thanks again.
We take all kinds. Can't give you chances without knowing more.

Reactions: 1 users

Stats:
3.83 cGPA
3.9 sGPA
512 MCAT

Thanks again.
I've seen sub 510 mcat's get accepted here. It seems to be very holistic!

MD Essays

Essays: Please submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each).

@wysdoc
For the first essay, are people nearing the 500 word limit, or are they adhering to "few sentences?"

For the first essay, are people nearing the 500 word limit, or are they adhering to "few sentences?"
Its two separate questions. The first part of the question is " Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine?" This should use the majority of your space, around 400 words or so.

The second part of the question is asking which track your doing, such as minnesota, Florida, Arizona, etc. Answer this part of the question in a few sentences. I hope this helps!

Edit: I don't work for Mayo, this is just how I addressed this prompt. I could be wrong!

Reactions: 2 users
Its two separate questions. The first part of the question is " Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine?" This should use the majority of your space, around 400 words or so.

The second part of the question is asking which track your doing, such as minnesota, Florida, Arizona, etc. Answer this part of the question in a few sentences. I hope this helps!

Edit: I don't work for Mayo, this is just how I addressed this prompt. I could be wrong!

OHHHHH. No wonder my CARSs score was the worst for me XD. Thank you for the advice!

II! OOS to MN campus!!! Stoked because this is my top choice!!

Reactions: 9 users
AZ campus II

LM 81.7 submitted 7/16

Last edited:
Why so many people for the AZ campus? Do more people just prefer that one over MN?

For those of yall who got IIs for Arizona, was that your first or second option?

Historically, do they send out the FL track II later?
Went looking in 2021-2022 thread: seems like first round FL IIs occurred the day after AZ and MN IIs.