2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like how you only have to pay the supplemental fee once between the Mayos. That's nice of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I like how you only have to pay the supplemental fee once between the Mayos. That's nice of them.
I wonder if the fee waiver applies to both or only one. The Mayo MN portal was somewhat confusing on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how to take advantage of this? I'm filling out the AZ secondary rn and it's still prompting me to pay the fee.
Mine was automatic... did you designate both campuses on your primary at the same time?

Anyone know their numbers on how many secondaries they give, interviews, and acceptances?

Current MS1 here, at my interview last year they gave these stats to us:

6000 applicants, 300 interviews, 80-90 acceptances (150-200 people on alternate list), ~45-50 matriculate

Did you all enter the coursework exactly as it shows up on your transcripts? I ask because a few of my classes (gen bio & gen chem) include a lab component, but don't state "with lab" on the transcript.

Edit: I'm thinking of adding this short explanation: "Please note that my general biology and general chemistry coursework included lab components not stated on my transcript."

Last edited:
So, I see that Mayo may not accept AP credits?

So, I only have one quarter of physics granted from AP credits and the other two are in person with 4.0.

Ialso have 2 quarters of Gen chem AP credit with one quarter in person with 4.0. I have like 2 years of chemistry directed study and will have one 6 credit Quantitative analysis class (presumably 4.0?) plus I have gotten A's in every upper division chemistry class (except an A- in second quarter of OCHEM2).

What do y'all think?

I just got a reply from the admissions office about this. On the quarter system, if the general/intro sequences are three quarters, AP credit or any other "testing out" for one quarter + 2nd and 3rd quarter of the sequence (so let's say Gen Chem 2 and 3 after getting AP credit for Gen Chem 1) fulfills Mayo Clinic's requirements

Reactions: 1 user
I just got a reply from the admissions office about this. On the quarter system, if the general/intro sequences are three quarters, AP credit or any other "testing out" for one quarter + 2nd and 3rd quarter of the sequence (so let's say Gen Chem 2 and 3 after getting AP credit for Gen Chem 1) fulfills Mayo Clinic's requirements
Excellent! Thank you. That is what I marked (AP Mechanics with Physics 2/3 classes) and AP for Chemistry 1+2 and Chem 3 class with 2 semesters of clinical chemistry. Sweet.

Just curious, is your first II from an MDPhD program?

Members don't see this ad :)
This 500 word count is killing me. I'm not quite sure how to stretch these out.

Has anyone else watched the Mayo Clinic documentary on Netflix? I highly recommend it! You can learn about the history of Mayo and some of the things they value.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone else watched the Mayo Clinic documentary on Netflix? I highly recommend it! You can learn about the history of Mayo and some of the things they value.
Gotta look in to it! When I was there for training last year, I can honestly tell you it was as fantastic as a hospital can possibly be. Great place!

Anyone applying MSTP already have their letter writers submit the rating sheet? My recommender said the email address they give ([email protected]) bounced back

Thanks for the recommendation! I already submitted my secondaries, but will definitely watch it if I get an interview

So would that mean we can't use AP credit if it's under the semester system (ie. use AP credit for Gen Chem 1 but take Gen Chem 2 in school)?

You’re going to hate them even more once you realize it is mandatory lectures and I believe professional attire for dress code.

Fantastic school and fantastic city, however.

Mandatory lectures?? On MSAR it says, "Students have 12 weeks of vacation during Y1-Y2. Many lectures are recorded. Attendance is mandatory for major exams, Sim Center activities, direct observations, and patient and clinical experiences." Is what's listed pretty much all lectures then?

Mandatory lectures?? On MSAR it says, "Students have 12 weeks of vacation during Y1-Y2. Many lectures are recorded. Attendance is mandatory for major exams, Sim Center activities, direct observations, and patient and clinical experiences." Is what's listed pretty much all lectures then?

They have an attendance philosophy on their website. Year one has 13 weeks of selective service, which could be vacation but I believe most students use it for additional pursuits. Year two has 15 weeks of selectives.

Personally, I don’t mind mandatory - I love asking questions, can’t ask questions if I am not present! Also, the selectives sound sick.

Anyone applying MSTP already have their letter writers submit the rating sheet? My recommender said the email address they give ([email protected]) bounced back

All of my letter writers submitted the rating sheet and none reported that it bounced back, so not sure what’s going on for you. I also emailed them at that address last week and it went through fine.

All of my letter writers submitted the rating sheet and none reported that it bounced back, so not sure what’s going on for you. I also emailed them at that address last week and it went through fine.

Ok thanks! I'll have to figure out what's going on with their my letter writer's email then lol

The email with the secondary invite mentions that if you apply to one campus, then the secondary fee for the other campus is waived. I just went to submit my AZ secondary about 15 minutes after I submitted my MN one, and it was still trying to make me pay. Am I missing something? Or how did y'all get around this?

The email with the secondary invite mentions that if you apply to one campus, then the secondary fee for the other campus is waived. I just went to submit my AZ secondary about 15 minutes after I submitted my MN one, and it was still trying to make me pay. Am I missing something? Or how did y'all get around this?

Give it time, I got an automatic email the following business day saying the waiver has been applied

PSA for all FAP applicants out there: the fee waiver applied to both MN & AZ

Does anyone know if the Science of Health Care Delivery certificate is for both campuses or just the Phoenix campus?

Did you guys use the same essays (including the why us essay) for this as you did for the arizona campus?

throughout your essay, what did you refer the the school as? Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (or better yet, Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine) takes up a lot of words lol

throughout your essay, what did you refer the the school as? Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (or better yet, Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine) takes up a lot of words lol

I used a bunch of different names. MCASOM, Mayo Clinic SOM, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, Alix School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine, etc... Mayo gives ample word counts for their essays.

I used a bunch of different names. MCASOM, Mayo Clinic SOM, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, Alix School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine, etc... Mayo gives ample word counts for their essays.
Honestly their why mayo I'm at like 550 words lol. Such a great school

If it hasn't already been posted, here is the MSTP Essay prompt:
  • "Write a brief paragraph explaining why you are specifically applying to the Mayo Clinic Medical Scientist Training Program." 500 Characters (not the 500 word limit for some reason)
Very brief, though tiny amount of space for "Why Mayo" imo. This is the only prompt if applying only-MSTP.

Honestly their why mayo I'm at like 550 words lol. Such a great school

True, I could have easily expanded into more, but 500 words of brown-nosing is a lot to have to read.

submitted secondary earlier today (8/2), received secondary 7/17 (16 day turnaround because of family circumstances) –– haven't seen consensus about whether the 2 week turnaround is a suggestion or a deadline (since the email sounds more like a suggestion but the application portal sounds more like a deadline). Submitted anyways because it is my dream school, so why not? Now just curious about my chances. Any thoughts?

submitted secondary earlier today (8/2), received secondary 7/17 (16 day turnaround because of family circumstances) –– haven't seen consensus about whether the 2 week turnaround is a suggestion or a deadline (since the email sounds more like a suggestion but the application portal sounds more like a deadline). Submitted anyways because it is my dream school, so why not? Now just curious about my chances. Any thoughts?

+1

Had the same exact turnaround time. Interested to hear this answer.

Honestly, this is one of the few upper echelon schools where turnaround really matters. It is taken as a sign of interest. That said, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about being 2 days over. Good luck!

Honestly, this is one of the few upper echelon schools where turnaround really matters. It is taken as a sign of interest. That said, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about being 2 days over. Good luck!
Yeah, that's what I figured, but fingers crossed the extra time added some quality that might tip the scales. Thanks for the response!

Your boy Elmo is going back to Rochester!
Got that II!
Congrats! Just to clarify, did you mean to post this in the MN thread, or do they all interviews at Rochester?
Totally did! Will go over there! Whoops! I forgot Arizona campus was a thing. Either way, Elmo is going to MN lol
After a little mixup - Your boy Elmo is going back to Rochester!
Got that II!

Edit: Submitted 7/17, complete 7/18, OOS, 3.65/3.97/521

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
So...this is a really neurotic question....Mayo clinic REALLY emphasizes "professionalism" even in their II email. My head shot is with a gray suit and black tie because that is what I had on hand...and I have a beard (well maintained, obvi)...Do I need to wear my nicer suit and shave for a new headshot for Mayo, or is that fine?