2019-2020 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha my interview is April 21st so I guess I'll have to find out

Well did anyone get ethical questions or questions about healthcare reform for their regular in-person interviews?
Yup. I was asked how I would improve health care, not healthcare as a system. Which was slightly easier to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Well did anyone get ethical questions or questions about healthcare reform for their regular in-person interviews?
I did. They asked me about any healthcare problem in the US I would see worsen in the future and how I would address it.

I did not! My interview was pretty much solely focused on things I put in my application. I think it depends on the interviewer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it is completely necessary to have a 128 gb iPad? I have a 64 gb iPad Pro I bought a few months ago before I made nova.

I did not! My interview was pretty much solely focused on things I put in my application. I think it depends on the interviewer.
Yeah I think so too. I'm just worried about the ethical questions since those are the hardest for me to answer. Plus the interview is only 30 minutes so I'm worried about what I could get asked in the short of a time slot

Does the school ever give out either 1.) Need based aid or 2.) Merit based aid? Asking for someone else!

Thanks a bunch!

Does anyone know if it is completely necessary to have a 128 gb iPad? I have a 64 gb iPad Pro I bought a few months ago before I made nova.

I don’t recommend 64g. There’s a crazy amount of information and apps you need to download and you need at least at 500mg free to download the exams. I have a 256g. I’ve already used 80 gigs and it’s not the end of the first year.

Reactions: 1 users
How did everyone's interviews go today? What were you asked?

Finished my interview a little while ago! Overall it was much less stressful than I thought it would be. My interview was with 2 faculty members over Zoom and they asked me to tell a little about myself, discussed some of my volunteering/shadowing/clinical experience, what specialty I would be interested in, and why NSU. Felt more like a conversation since I got to ask the interviewers questions about themselves. So no ethical questions or questions about how to improve healthcare on my end but this might be different for others who interviewed.

Finished my interview a little while ago! Overall it was much less stressful than I thought it would be. My interview was with 2 faculty members over Zoom and they asked me to tell a little about myself, discussed some of my volunteering/shadowing/clinical experience, what specialty I would be interested in, and why NSU. Felt more like a conversation since I got to ask the interviewers questions about themselves. So no ethical questions or questions about how to improve healthcare on my end but this might be different for others who interviewed.
Congrats! Did they give any info about whether spots are still available at each campus? Any info on any changes to decision making due to COVID19?

Congrats! Did they give any info about whether spots are still available at each campus? Any info on any changes to decision making due to COVID19?
They mentioned spots are still open at Tampa and Davie is full, but you can get on the waitlist for another campus without necessarily giving up your spot in the class. Decisions are supposed to come out before the end of May

I don’t recommend 64g. There’s a crazy amount of information and apps you need to download and you need at least at 500mg free to download the exams. I have a 256g. I’ve already used 80 gigs and it’s not the end of the first year.
I wonder if this requirement will be waived in a way since some people haven't been able to work at all and the iPad isn't cheap lol I guess we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh sounds like a pretty chill interview, how long was it? Also, when did they email you to let you know exactly what time your interview would be. Do they contact you first through zoom?

I wonder if this requirement will be waived in a way since some people haven't been able to work at all and the iPad isn't cheap lol I guess we'll see.

I hear you. I don’t know what’s gonna happen but since we’re all supposed to have the same equipment either everyone will be required to have an iPad or a MacBook to take the exams, they won’t let you have one or the other. Or you might get lucky and they’ll include it intuition. But right now they’re focused on what’s gonna happen with our curriculum currently so it’s all up in the air.

Also, who interviewed you?

I hear you. I don’t know what’s gonna happen but since we’re all supposed to have the same equipment either everyone will be required to have an iPad or a MacBook to take the exams, they won’t let you have one or the other. Or you might get lucky and they’ll include it intuition. But right now they’re focused on what’s gonna happen with our curriculum currently so it’s all up in the air.
That’s fair. Regardless, I’m so excited to start!

Dr. Alessandra Posey and Dr. Naushira Pandya
How long was it? Also, when did they email you to let you know exactly what time your interview would be. Do they contact you first through zoom?

No one will check your iPad to see how much storage you actually have, but *an* iPad is 100% mandatory. I have the 256GB and I have 91GB on it.

I’ve been on the campus waitlist since the last week of February. I tried calling to find out where I’m holding or how much movement there’s been but they haven’t been very receptive. Anyone know any information about recent movement on the campus waitlist? I have a daughter that I need to enroll in school and a husband who needs to find a job so it’s really important for me for find out where I’ll be moving...

How long was it? Also, when did they email you to let you know exactly what time your interview would be. Do they contact you first through zoom?
It was 30 minutes. They sent an email 4 days before the interview with 3 zoom links: the first is for the welcome session, the second is your personal zoom interview link with the time of the interview, and the third link is for the meet and greet session with the dean

It was 30 minutes. They sent an email 4 days before the interview with 3 zoom links: the first is for the welcome session, the second is your personal zoom interview link with the time of the interview, and the third link is for the meet and greet session with the dean
oh so you got to talk to the dean? Was it a one on one?

oh so you got to talk to the dean? Was it a one on one?
I wish! But no everyone who interviewed that day signed on to speak with her. She basically gave an overview of Nova's mission to help the underserved, the curriculum, as well as some future plans for the school. We got to ask her questions at the end. Supposedly she likes students who ask questions

Alright y'all, I'm trying to read the match list for 2019 (the latest one they have on their website right now anyway) and I have a question. If there are 28 transitional year matches but 17 "PGY-2" matches which are defined as placements of students in Class of 2019 who have a second year residency slot different from their first year slots (e.g. transitional years)--- does that mean that basically 17 of the transitional year students already have their PGY-2 year lined up and 11 students do not? Or does that mean all 28 transitional year matches have to reapply to match? Hope this question makes sense. :)

Will be withdrawing my acceptance after putting a 2k deposit for this school. Got into a school closer to home with lower coa. This one hurt lol but hope the A goes to one of you guys! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Will be withdrawing my acceptance after putting a 2k deposit for this school. Got into a school closer to home with lower coa. This one hurt lol but hope the A goes to one of you guys! :)
Which location were you enrolled in?

are you serious so my 12GB ipad 3 is basically a trash? and my laptop has only 256 GB SSD and my games have taken 200 GB so i have to delete all of them?

Get a new iPad. If you don’t have the cash now, you’ll get student loans a couple days before school starts- get it then.

Primary Completed: 7/30/19

Secondary Offered: 8/28/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 9/11/19 (late due to personal emergency)

Rejected: 4/20/20

Goodluck all!

are you serious so my 12GB ipad 3 is basically a trash? and my laptop has only 256 GB SSD and my games have taken 200 GB so i have to delete all of them?

Just make your life easy like the rest of us broke med students-student loans. And that’s not just for the iPad but for all the other equipment you’re gonna have to buy too.

Has anyone whose supposed to interview on Tuesday been emailed the details of it yet?

Does anyone know the updated GPA and MCAT averages for NOVA? their website only has average stats from the 2018 entering class

Does anyone know the updated GPA and MCAT averages for NOVA? their website only has average stats from the 2018 entering class
I usually use this link to compare schools, but i also don't trust everything i see here

according to this site, the average gpa and mcat scores of accepted students is 3.64 and 507 respectively
take this with a grain of salt because note everything online should be trusted

Has anyone whose supposed to interview on Tuesday been emailed the details of it yet?
I got an email on Tuesday for my interview on 4/28 saying "9am" but I'm not sure if that's the actual time yet or not, b/c they said they would email us the night before with a time. I'll assume it's right for now, but I'll probably call to confirm tomorrow or still keep an eye on my email for any new emails about a time.

I got an email on Tuesday for my interview on 4/28 saying "9am" but I'm not sure if that's the actual time yet or not, b/c they said they would email us the night before with a time. I'll assume it's right for now, but I'll probably call to confirm tomorrow or still keep an eye on my email for any new emails about a time.
I got that too but it was just an automated reminder email. We’re supposed to get an email with 3 links: one for the welcoming, one for the interview with the real time, and another one for a meet and greet with the dean. They told you that we would receive this email the day before? Hopefully it’s tomorrow then lol

I usually use this link to compare schools, but i also don't trust everything i see here

according to this site, the average gpa and mcat scores of accepted students is 3.64 and 507 respectively
take this with a grain of salt because note everything online should be trusted

Appreciate the reply, I have used that site before but I've definitely noticed some inconsistencies between their stats and MSARs at times. Not sure about their DO stats though

I have my virtual interview 4/30. Was the zoom information emailed out the morning or afternoon before the interview? Thanks so much!

I have my virtual interview 4/30. Was the zoom information emailed out the morning or afternoon before the interview? Thanks so much!
I received it the morning before

Withdrew acceptance for Tampa Bay Campus yesterday! Good luck to you all!

Hey, sorry I’m just seeing this. While we are technically “streamed” into each other’s labs (Davie and Clearwater), the instruction isnt as hands-off as that may sound. For example, after a professor gives a demonstration (whether it was streamed from the other campus or right in front of you), we break out into small groups of 6-8 students and each group has their own OPP fellow (for OPP class) or a physician proctor (in PDx) to review/repeat everything that was just said in the demonstration before we do it to each other. So, while the “Presenter“ may be at the other campus, there‘s essentially a 8:1 student:teacher ratio for both OPP and PDx. You could actually argue its a little better than that because, in addition to the fellows/proctors, the class admins are roaming around to help too because they aren’t assigned a break-out group. Hope that makes sense.

Regarding cadaver labs, we don’t have them... period. The anatomy lab exists (at davie) but we aren’t allowed in. Our anatomy “lab” is basically an additional lecture (albeit a really really great anatomy lecture in my opinion because its all demonstrations) with some built in group study and personal tutoring. We do have Complete anatomy (which is actually a really great app) and some other resources/software to make up for it. I personally didnt like the software but, if you want to be a radiologist, that software will put you light years ahead of anyone else because you’re basically looking at full body MRI scans. With that said, I dont really know if not having a cadaver lab really impacted me. A lot of my peers at other schools would complain that cadaver labs take forever because dead tissue looks very different than live tissue. You could be looking for an organ for 45 mins only to realize it was right in front of you but you didnt know it because its covered in cysts or is essentially a giant tumor. so... who knows if this will really impact us that much. Lastly, the fellowship that was mentioned, you need a B in the class just to apply and you might not get chosen.

Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions.

Yes, most of the classes, I've been told are 50% streamed from Clearwater and 50% to Clearwater from Davie since it's a satellite campus so essentially "everything" has to be the same including resources offered. However, I was referring to things that require to be done in person e.g. OPP, and other classes.

Has anyone been accepted with a gpa between 3.2-3.5? Or during/after reinventing with a masters/post-bacc after a low undergraduate gpa?
It seems like most stats I've seen posted with acceptance to the DO and masters programs at Nova had low MCAT/high gpa if they were offset rather than low gpa.

Hey, sorry I’m just seeing this. While we are technically “streamed” into each other’s labs (Davie and Clearwater), the instruction isnt as hands-off as that may sound. For example, after a professor gives a demonstration (whether it was streamed from the other campus or right in front of you), we break out into small groups of 6-8 students and each group has their own OPP fellow (for OPP class) or a physician proctor (in PDx) to review/repeat everything that was just said in the demonstration before we do it to each other. So, while the “Presenter“ may be at the other campus, there‘s essentially a 8:1 student:teacher ratio for both OPP and PDx. You could actually argue its a little better than that because, in addition to the fellows/proctors, the class admins are roaming around to help too because they aren’t assigned a break-out group. Hope that makes sense.

Regarding cadaver labs, we don’t have them... period. The anatomy lab exists (at davie) but we aren’t allowed in. Our anatomy “lab” is basically an additional lecture (albeit a really really great anatomy lecture in my opinion because its all demonstrations) with some built in group study and personal tutoring. We do have Complete anatomy (which is actually a really great app) and some other resources/software to make up for it. I personally didnt like the software but, if you want to be a radiologist, that software will put you light years ahead of anyone else because you’re basically looking at full body MRI scans. With that said, I dont really know if not having a cadaver lab really impacted me. A lot of my peers at other schools would complain that cadaver labs take forever because dead tissue looks very different than live tissue. You could be looking for an organ for 45 mins only to realize it was right in front of you but you didnt know it because its covered in cysts or is essentially a giant tumor. so... who knows if this will really impact us that much. Lastly, the fellowship that was mentioned, you need a B in the class just to apply and you might not get chosen.

Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions.

During my interview tour, they took us to the cadaver room. Does that mean DO students don't utilize this even if available? If I remember correctly, is there a club or program of some sort where you get to dissect the cadaver, instead of it being prosected, if you were like interested in surgery or something.

During my interview tour, they took us to the cadaver room. Does that mean DO students don't utilize this even if available? If I remember correctly, is there a club or program of some sort where you get to dissect the cadaver, instead of it being prosected, if you were like interested in surgery or something.
No, DO students do not use the cadaver lab and do not have access to it. And, to be completely honest, I don’t think it’s appropriate for them to take you into the cadaver lab ESP if they’re not being abundantly clear that there is no cadaver lab anywhere in the curriculum. This is what they did to me and I was really upset about it on the first day in classes when I found out. I felt lied to (and frankly I was lied). Taking you in there gives the impression that you’ll be in there as a student, when you won’t be. I’ve been in there once for maybe 30 minutes and it was because M2s from SOSA (the surgery club) hosted us. The fact that students are asking about cadavers after their interview is crazy. Administration needs to be more clear about this - a lack of transparency on this topic is not a good way to start a relationship with your students. You should email them and ask them this question very directly.

With that said, I want to reintegrate that, in the grand scheme of things, I don’t think not having cadavers impacted me that much and I’m interested in a surgical speciality.

Regarding the club with cadavers that you mentioned, I’m not aware of one. I only know of the fellowship that is offered by the anatomy course director. I suggest you reach out to the person who gave your tour and ask for details.

Last edited:
Has anyone been accepted with a gpa between 3.2-3.5? Or during/after reinventing with a masters/post-bacc after a low undergraduate gpa?
It seems like most stats I've seen posted with acceptance to the DO and masters programs at Nova had low MCAT/high gpa if they were offset rather than low gpa.

I think I’m both- undergrad GPA of 3.46, nontrad complete career changer several years out of college, did a post bacc with a 3.86 gpa, 508 MCAT. WL then accepted 2 weeks later!