2019-2020 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, DO students do not use the cadaver lab and do not have access to it. And, to be completely honest, I don’t think it’s appropriate for them to take you into the cadaver lab ESP if they’re not being abundantly clear that there is no cadaver lab anywhere in the curriculum. This is what they did to me and I was really upset about it on the first day in classes when I found out. I felt lied to (and frankly I was lied). Taking you in there gives the impression that you’ll be in there as a student, when you won’t be. I’ve been in there once for maybe 30 minutes and it was because M2s from SOSA (the surgery club) hosted us. The fact that students are asking about cadavers after their interview is crazy. Administration needs to be more clear about this - a lack of transparency on this topic is not a good way to start a relationship with your students. You should email them and ask them this question very directly.

With that said, I want to reintegrate that, in the grand scheme of things, I don’t think not having cadavers impacted me that much and I’m interested in a surgical speciality.

Regarding the club with cadavers that you mentioned, I’m not aware of one. I only know of the fellowship that is offered by the anatomy course director. I suggest you reach out to the person who gave your tour and ask for details.

Really?! On interview day they talked like we would be in there and be in groups. o_O

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Really?! On interview day they talked like we would be in there and be in groups. o_O

They

They probably referred to that ONE time when we were able to go in there and learn about the anatomy while the M2s showed us around but that was it. You don’t really need it honestly. You can still get an A without it and it removes having anatomy practicals which was nice seeing as how our exams and other practicals are hard enough already. I just saw it as one less thing we have to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn’t really bother me that there isn’t going to be a cadaver lab but I agree that the interview was very misleading. They told us that while it’s not integrated into the curriculum, the lab is very accessible and students can always take advantage of it by making appointments to go in and practice...

It doesn’t really bother me that there isn’t going to be a cadaver lab but I agree that the interview was very misleading. They told us that while it’s not integrated into the curriculum, the lab is very accessible and students can always take advantage of it by making appointments to go in and practice...

Lmao oh no I’m sorry. Unless it’s something new they’re doing for y’all. But yeah it is misleading and they should definitely not do that. We didn’t find out there were no cadavers till like a month before school started. Imagine the disappointment

Reactions: 2 users
They

They probably referred to that ONE time when we were able to go in there and learn about the anatomy while the M2s showed us around but that was it. You don’t really need it honestly. You can still get an A without it and it removes having anatomy practicals which was nice seeing as how our exams and other practicals are hard enough already. I just saw it as one less thing we have to do.
I'm not sure the grade is what concerns people about with not having a cadaver experience. The question is whether or not having a cadaver lab will impact us in the long run, like when we're on surgical rotations and asked to identify something mid-surgery. Unfortunately, we don't know the answer to that yet. Hopefully it won't.

I wouldn't describe the lab is accessible... If I made an appointment to go in there, I wouldn't know the first thing to do. We've never been trained on gowning and gloving, we don't know where to find tools or where to put dirty ones. If they wanted you to use the lab, they'd show you how to use the lab but they don't. Maybe they will be doing something different with your class (because they certainly got an earful from ours) but remember that anything they offer davie must be offered to clearwater, and clearwater doesn't have a cadaver lab. You should seriously considered emailing and asking someone about this if/when you are accepted. It'll be worth it to have a very clear understanding of what they meant by this.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure the grade is what concerns people about with not having a cadaver experience. The question is whether or not having a cadaver lab will impact us in the long run, like when we're on surgical rotations and asked to identify something mid-surgery. Unfortunately, we don't know the answer to that yet. Hopefully it won't.

I wouldn't describe the lab is accessible... If I made an appointment to go in there, I wouldn't know the first thing to do. We've never been trained on gowning and gloving, we don't know where to find tools or where to put dirty ones. If they wanted you to use the lab, they'd show you how to use the lab but they don't. Maybe they will be doing something different with your class (because they certainly got an earful from ours) but remember that anything they offer davie must be offered to clearwater, and clearwater doesn't have a cadaver lab. You should seriously considered emailing and asking someone about this if/when you are accepted. It'll be worth it to have a very clear understanding of what they meant by this.

Yeah that’s true you make a good point. I can tell you from experience dissecting cadavers though and being in surgery a lot that the difference is huge. Everything looks mangled in a cadaver and things are a lot easier to identify in a live one. But we’ll see how it impacts us in the end like you say.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s true you make a good point. I can tell you from experience dissecting cadavers though and being in surgery a lot that the difference is huge. Everything looks mangled in a cadaver and things are a lot easier to identify in a live one. But we’ll see how it impacts us in the end like you say.
If it makes y’all feel any better every M1 in the country right now is doing virtual anatomy lol

Great, that gives me some peace of mind. Thanks, and congrats on your acceptance!
I think I’m both- undergrad GPA of 3.46, nontrad complete career changer several years out of college, did a post bacc with a 3.86 gpa, 508 MCAT. WL then accepted 2 weeks later!

Interviewed 4/28 and got the acceptance email today!!! I'm screaming!! I didn't think I'd hear back until May 15th, but I guess they've started making decisions! So thankful! Trust the process guys, I applied late and didn't think I would get an interview! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted today as well! :) I cried a bunch of tears of excitement. it's a good day!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from the certificate in health professions interview?

I got an email last week Monday saying that I’m in the next top five to be moved to Davie campus. Did anyone else get this email and were e you moved over yet?

Last edited:
Has anyone been accepted with a gpa between 3.2-3.5? Or during/after reinventing with a masters/post-bacc after a low undergraduate gpa?
It seems like most stats I've seen posted with acceptance to the DO and masters programs at Nova had low MCAT/high gpa if they were offset rather than low gpa.
My Gpa was 3.6 undergrad and 3.5 Masters and relatively low to mid range MCAT

Hey everyone, OMS1 at TBR, if you have any questions or would like advice about moving, taking on the first year at NSU, COL, resources I would recommend etc. Please reach out to me, preferably PM. I can't give you much advice about your chances of getting off waitlist etc but do know that some of my classmates got in last week and many interviewed well into may last year. Congratulations everyone who has made it and know that NSU does offer good experiences and has a great atmosphere.

I just got moved from Tampa to Davie.

Lol I was cheering you on from bleachers ..I am waiting as well so hopefully that's a good sign for myself...hope to see you in Davie
Haha thanks!! Hope to see you then!!!

will we be having an in person white coat ceremony?
It's hard to say for you all. I know our labs like OPP are supposed to be modified to limit how many are in the room at one time. I don't know what they plan to do yet. Hopefully, this isn't the case.

It's hard to say for you all. I know our labs like OPP are supposed to be modified to limit how many are in the room at one time. I don't know what they plan to do yet. Hopefully, this isn't the case.
Thank you for the reply, i got an email this morning confirming that we will have it and fall classes will be in person. I copied and pasted the email below for all who are interested

Good Afternoon Incoming Students:

On May 1, President Hanbury announced that the University be open and students will be back on campus for the Fall term. We have been planning for your July 27 start date but it's great news to have an official announcement.

With that we have a little less than 3 months before you start this journey and less than two months before the July 1 deadline for immunizations and background checks. At this time, we are adhering to this deadline but we will continue to evaluate this depending on when states start to resume normal business. We do ask that you complete as much as you can as early as you can to avoid any delays.

In addition to the immunizations and background check, you should have placed your order for your white coat. If not, please do so. We are suggesting that you have it shipped directly to your home (by selecting returning student instead of new student). The bookstore is still closed to the public so they aren't prepared to receive shipments yet. The White Coat ceremonies are scheduled as planned-August 8 in Fort Lauderdale and August 15 in Tampa. Additional information regarding this will be forthcoming. Scrubs can be purchased anywhere and the OPP shorts and t-shirts will be readily available once they're fully up and running.

You should have received information on equipment you'll need for your physical diagnosis course. You can purchase these on your own but the package is offered at a good rate and you will ensure that the equipment you have meets the requirement. Welch/Allyn also provides services to students throughout your four years so that if you have a problem with anything, they will handle it for you.

You will soon also be receiving a checklist of things you can be doing when possible as well as other requirements such as a laptop and iPad.

We're waiting on the finalized book list, many of which are online. Your class schedule and information on registering won't be available until late June/early July so please be patient.

Final reminder: all communication to you is sent to your NSU email. We ask that you only correspond with us using your NSU email. It is important to get in the habit of receiving and sending through that account so that you don't miss anything.

We wish you and your families good health and can't wait to see you in July.

Thank you for the reply, i got an email this morning confirming that we will have it and fall classes will be in person. I copied and pasted the email below for all who are interested

Good Afternoon Incoming Students:

On May 1, President Hanbury announced that the University be open and students will be back on campus for the Fall term. We have been planning for your July 27 start date but it's great news to have an official announcement.

With that we have a little less than 3 months before you start this journey and less than two months before the July 1 deadline for immunizations and background checks. At this time, we are adhering to this deadline but we will continue to evaluate this depending on when states start to resume normal business. We do ask that you complete as much as you can as early as you can to avoid any delays.

In addition to the immunizations and background check, you should have placed your order for your white coat. If not, please do so. We are suggesting that you have it shipped directly to your home (by selecting returning student instead of new student). The bookstore is still closed to the public so they aren't prepared to receive shipments yet. The White Coat ceremonies are scheduled as planned-August 8 in Fort Lauderdale and August 15 in Tampa. Additional information regarding this will be forthcoming. Scrubs can be purchased anywhere and the OPP shorts and t-shirts will be readily available once they're fully up and running.

You should have received information on equipment you'll need for your physical diagnosis course. You can purchase these on your own but the package is offered at a good rate and you will ensure that the equipment you have meets the requirement. Welch/Allyn also provides services to students throughout your four years so that if you have a problem with anything, they will handle it for you.

You will soon also be receiving a checklist of things you can be doing when possible as well as other requirements such as a laptop and iPad.

We're waiting on the finalized book list, many of which are online. Your class schedule and information on registering won't be available until late June/early July so please be patient.

Final reminder: all communication to you is sent to your NSU email. We ask that you only correspond with us using your NSU email. It is important to get in the habit of receiving and sending through that account so that you don't miss anything.

We wish you and your families good health and can't wait to see you in July.

So the packages offered at nsu for phyical diagnosis are nice and a good price for new. However, if you know someone with those supplies used, some students had friends or family who are physicians, you can get away with using the old equipment. You will not need them in almost any clinical rotation. Just dont cheap out on the stethoscope. I bought new and dont regret it. Sometimes used equipment is faulty.

I recommend the littmann cardiology 4 over welch.

You do not need any of our textbooks hardcover so do no worry about the bookstore being closed. Just used the online ones if needed. I recommend any supplemental books like first aid to get hard copies. There are older ebook versions floating around school. Costanzo is good for physiology and would recommend it for our respiratory and cardio section.

Facebook page has a discount for figs scrubs courtesy of the dental department

So the packages offered at nsu for phyical diagnosis are nice and a good price for new. However, if you know someone with those supplies used, some students had friends or family who are physicians, you can get away with using the old equipment. You will not need them in almost any clinical rotation. Just dont cheap out on the stethoscope. I bought new and dont regret it. Sometimes used equipment is faulty.

I recommend the littmann cardiology 4 over welch.

You do not need any of our textbooks hardcover so do no worry about the bookstore being closed. Just used the online ones if needed. I recommend any supplemental books like first aid to get hard copies. There are older ebook versions floating around school. Costanzo is good for physiology and would recommend it for our respiratory and cardio section.

Facebook page has a discount for figs scrubs courtesy of the dental department

To add to this about supplies, many M4s sell theirs before gradúating, that’s how I got mine and I got it for about half price with mostly everything included, all I had to buy was a pt gown. Make sure you guys have your own supplies for every physical diagnosis session, you will actually get to use them and won’t be able to borrow a neighbors as we all have to have them to practice. Also make sure you have the KPCOM shorts for both Opp and PDX, they check if you’re wearing them or not and it can count negatively towards your grade if you don’t. You can get ones at the bookstore for like $5 otherwise they’re like 35 each. T shirt wise for Opp and PDx you can wear any Club t shirt or any t shirt related to the med school. Youll have plenty of opportunities to buy many if you want.

To add to this about supplies, many M4s sell theirs before graduating, that’s how I got mine and I got it for about half price with mostly everything included, all I had to buy was a pt gown. Make sure you guys have your own supplies for every physical diagnosis session, you will actually get to use them and won’t be able to borrow a neighbors as we all have to have them to practice. Also make sure you have the KPCOM shorts for both Opp and PDX, they check if you’re wearing them or not and it can count negatively towards your grade if you don’t. You can get ones at the bookstore for like $5 otherwise they’re like 35 each. T shirt wise for Opp and PDx you can wear any Club t shirt or any t shirt related to the med school. Youll have plenty of opportunities to buy many if you want.

Good addition! TBR folks, obviously there are no M4 floating around. We don't really have a bookstore so I just ordered mine online and had them shipped to my house. You will get so many NOVA shirts so just aim for one atm. Your society will have a shirt, every group has a shirt, etc. I would just buy the first one and wait for additional ones to float in. Also, many clubs sell their previous shirt designs for discount if they have leftovers.

Make sure to join the facebook page and the groupme! All of your reviews, events, and info will be on there. It is a need to be on the facebook page. The groupme is where a lot of good info is shared for students like resources etc.

Has anyone started filling out the background checks and immunizations on castle branch?? Sorry i feel late to the party but i just realized background checks for jobs are super backlogged thanks to covid, so I’m assuming it’s the same with this *crying emoji

I know we NEED an ipad. If I get the new iPad Pro, do I also need a laptop?

I know we NEED an ipad. If I get the new iPad Pro, do I also need a laptop?

I think incoming M1s will be required to have a laptop plus the iPad as well as us for our M2 year. As far as I know faculty is working with financial aid so we can borrow extra money to afford it.

Hey all,

Just have a quick question regarding USLME exams preparation in NSU-KPCOM. I would appreciate If anyone has any idea of the how preparation here is approached for the USLME exam.

From the interview process, it was obvious that COMLEX is favored (which is of course understandable, as this is a D.O. school), but it seemed students are discouraged from taking the USLME. At most, it seems that the curriculum will help you to a certain extent to prepare you for it, but it seems like a solo effort if you want to take the USLME licensing exams as an NSU-KPCOM student.

Is there anyone who is an upperclassman who can shed some light on this? How do you feel about USLME preparation here?

I am obviously invested on taking the COMLEX, but taking the USLME also is a good undertaking , especially after the residency merger, even if it's not encouraged or pushed.

Also, on an unrelated note, what type of iPad are we expected to buy?

Thank you all!

Hey all,

Just have a quick question regarding USLME exams preparation in NSU-KPCOM. I would appreciate If anyone has any idea of the how preparation here is approached for the USLME exam.

From the interview process, it was obvious that COMLEX is favored (which is of course understandable, as this is a D.O. school), but it seemed students are discouraged from taking the USLME. At most, it seems that the curriculum will help you to a certain extent to prepare you for it, but it seems like a solo effort if you want to take the USLME licensing exams as an NSU-KPCOM student.

Is there anyone who is an upperclassman who can shed some light on this? How do you feel about USLME preparation here?

I am obviously invested on taking the COMLEX, but taking the USLME also is a good undertaking , especially after the residency merger, even if it's not encouraged or pushed.

Thank you all!
Its a DO school so they prepare you for comlex not USMLE

Hey all,

Thank you all!

I wouldn't say we are discouraged but some admin don't see it as a necessity. Talking to other upperclassmen in the mix, it seems like they disagree with this statement. I always planned on taking step and recommend everyone does the same given you will not fail or do bad. If you follow the correct preparations and keep up with board prep services and see what they focus on vs what the school is teaching you, you can learn what is important to know in practice vs what is important to know for boards.

You will see that medical programs can only prepare you so much for boards through lecture and this is the case for all programs. You need to stay on top of outside studying and programs, this is something I would talk to upperclassman more and something I hope to touch on with our class more.

As far as board prep, we do have a board prep summer M1 year taught by one of the best professors in the game Dr. Nguyen. He is approachable and honest, and will help guide you in life and in medicine in general. He was a professor at UCLA but relocated here for various reasons. I am very grateful for him.

We also get a lot of board material included in our tutition costs. We get pathoma and lecturio which is pretty decent. Supposedly, we will be getting Uworld too.

TLDR 1)pass classes 2)stay up on board material 3)talk to upperclassman what they use 4)nova does provide you with board prep material.

I recommend the ipad pro with the apple 2 pencil. Dont cheap out on this, it makes a difference. minimal requirements should be listed on the website

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't say we are discouraged but some admin don't see it as a necessity. Talking to other upperclassmen in the mix, it seems like they disagree with this statement. I always planned on taking step and recommend everyone does the same given you will not fail or do bad. If you follow the correct preparations and keep up with board prep services and see what they focus on vs what the school is teaching you, you can learn what is important to know in practice vs what is important to know for boards.

You will see that medical programs can only prepare you so much for boards through lecture and this is the case for all programs. You need to stay on top of outside studying and programs, this is something I would talk to upperclassman more and something I hope to touch on with our class more.

As far as board prep, we do have a board prep summer M1 year taught by one of the best professors in the game Dr. Nguyen. He is approachable and honest, and will help guide you in life and in medicine in general. He was a professor at UCLA but relocated here for various reasons. I am very grateful for him.

We also get a lot of board material included in our tutition costs. We get pathoma and lecturio which is pretty decent. Supposedly, we will be getting Uworld too.

TLDR 1)pass classes 2)stay up on board material 3)talk to upperclassman what they use 4)nova does provide you with board prep material.

I recommend the ipad pro with the apple 2 pencil. Dont cheap out on this, it makes a difference. minimal requirements should be listed on the website

Thanks so much for your response! Appreciate the guidance you are giving all of us!!

A

Actually the only reference ever made to comlex boards are for OPP. Every other professors tells you what to prepare for the regular USMLE boards. Not that they’re that different anyways. A large number of our professors are MDs so they give us advice and gear the lectures for Step.

Yeah

Yeah we get Uworld second year! Although I’d recommend getting your own subscription so you don’t have to wait till then. Its worth it!

Yeah

Yeah we get Uworld second year! Although I’d recommend getting your own subscription so you don’t have to wait till then. Its worth it!
Do you know when it's supposed to drop? I was eyeing AMBOSS soon before I went full blown on Uworld myself.

For people recently accepted, have you heard back from students affair regarding the next step in admission process?

Is the 256gb iPad requirement going to be enough space, or should we just get the 512gb? I'm on the fence lol