2019-2020 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long does it normally take to hear back regarding an interview? I believe I was marked complete on 10/5.

Members don't see this ad.

II for 12/10! Super stoked since I’m an OU alum

Reactions: 2 users
awesome!! and no, my mom will be traveling with me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II received for 12/17!!! Primary early July, Secondary late July, but one of my letter writers took 6 months to get my letter in (trust me it was horrible) and didn't turn it in until 11/5.

Does anyone happen to know the post-II acceptance rate?

Does anyone happen to know the post-II acceptance rate?
I found one spread sheet on Reddit that has multiple schools and their post II acceptance rates. OUHCOM had an 80% post II acceptance rate. I do not know where this information came from or how accurate it is.

Reactions: 1 users
For clarification, if you sign the OOS contract, you're saying you will serve Ohio for 5 years once you are done with medical school?
This is a failsafe for if they do not have enough IS students I believe. You should contact the admissions to be 100% sure, but I do know for sure they have waived that contract every year (AKA have not heard of it ever being enforced. Like I said double check to be sure and don't let it dissuade you.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new pathways to health and wellness curriculum? I love that they are adopting the “flipped classroom” approach where it seems the majority of the studies are outside of class while we integrate and apply this information to “real” life case studies in different small and large group settings. I am just curious what proportion of each day will be spent in class applying this information to case studies while what proportion of our day will be spent understanding and studying this information on our own time.
I'm a first-year at OUHCOM-Cleveland. I love the new curriculum. It is very innovated and ahead of its time. It is part of a consortium of about 30 medical schools working on advancing medical education (Some of which include Case and Harvard). It has been proven a million times that sitting in lecture is the worst way to learn so they did away with it (mostly, we have some question base lectures).
We are in about 4 hours a day (no more than that, sometimes less). Most Friday's we just have a two hour class that is just with small groups discussing things so not really a class. It gives you a ton of flexibility and the time to learn however you learn best. I think other schools will begin to switch to this curriculum eventually.

Wondering if anyone has any info about the Cleveland campus here, are all rotations done at Cleveland Clinic? Are they at main campus and South Pointe or mostly other ambulatory sites? The partnership with the clinic seems awesome.
Almost all are done within the Cleveland Clinic system. Not many are done at Main campus unless you arrange it yourself (It does make shadowing or having a mentor at main very easy since there is an affiliation already). Not much is done at South Point, but some rotations could be. There are rotations at Hillcrest, lutheran, fairview, Akron general, lakeview, etc). It also makes doing research at the Clinic easier.

I’m an accepted OOS student. The contract was waived for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do we think they are with interviews??

Can any current students clarify a couple questions about the curriculum?

1.) is there any time dedicated to studying for boards? I’m between this school and another that gives 6 weeks just for this
2.) Do you feel that the new wellness curriculum prepares you well for the boards (particularly USMLE)?

last final this year is 4/28. boards need to be taken by 6/26.

Withdrew my acceptance here, good luck to those who have yet to interview and those on the waitlist!

Withdrew my Acceptance here. Great school, good luck to everyone still waiting!!

II for the TCC program and Cleveland campus in January. Excited and nervous!

This is a failsafe for if they do not have enough IS students I believe. You should contact the admissions to be 100% sure, but I do know for sure they have waived that contract every year (AKA have not heard of it ever being enforced. Like I said double check to be sure and don't let it dissuade you.

Wow, I wish I had known this beforehand. Didn't seem to read this on the previous years' threads. Would've definitely applied here as an OOSer. I wasn't entirely opposed to the idea of living in Ohio for 5 years post-grad, but knowing that the contract might be waived would've pushed me over the edge.

Accepted! Primary early July, Secondary late July. GPA: 3.7. Interviewed 12/17. Interview was very laid back and everyone there was very nice. I'd be happy to answer any questions based off of the interview if anyone needs help or wants to prepare. Good luck!
PS for those on the waitlist: The Dean today made a big deal about calling them and asking what you can improve if you are on the waitlist. He said the easiest way to get moved up was to work on whatever they tell you and show them that you are still interested improving. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Primary early July, Secondary late July. GPA: 3.7. Interviewed 12/17. Interview was very laid back and everyone there was very nice. I'd be happy to answer any questions based off of the interview if anyone needs help or wants to prepare. Good luck!
PS for those on the waitlist: The Dean today made a big deal about calling them and asking what you can improve if you are on the waitlist. He said the easiest way to get moved up was to work on whatever they tell you and show them that you are still interested improving. Hope this helps!
Was it Dr. Schriner or Dr. Rice who said that about the calling?

Does anyone know where there is a current curriculum map for the first 2 years or maybe all 4 years?

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance! I have an interview with OUHCOM coming up and I was wondering if you could give us some insight on the kind of questions you got during your actual interviews and just what to expect! I saw on the website that we are supposed to have 3 one-on-one 30 minute interviews!

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance! I have an interview with OUHCOM coming up and I was wondering if you could give us some insight on the kind of questions you got during your actual interviews and just what to expect! I saw on the website that we are supposed to have 3 one-on-one 30 minute interviews!
Use this link below! This is what I did and the questions on here were asked. Each interviewer had a little bit of a different style. It felt like a conversation with them. They asked me mainly about things on my application. It was very stress free. Good luck!

Use this link below! This is what I did and the questions on here were asked. Each interviewer had a little bit of a different style. It felt like a conversation with them. They asked me mainly about things on my application. It was very stress free. Good luck!
Thanks so much, this is great!!

Hi, Are they still reviewing secondaries and sending interviews or they are done with this year interview cycle?
Not sure about reviewing secondaries but they are definitely still sending out interviews for this cycle! Recently interviewed myself (loved it btw) and they mentioned they are still filling in the class and it should get more tight later

Has anyone been pulled off or know of anyone pulled of the waitlist recently ?

Hi, Are they still reviewing secondaries and sending interviews or they are done with this year interview cycle?
I got the invite last week ! So I think they def are still sending out interviews, I submitted my secondary around august

Hi everyone! Just got an invite for the TCC program in Cleveland. Has anyone interviewed for it yet or have any insight about it? appreciate the feedback!

Does anyone know where to find a list for all possible rotation sites for Dublin students during years 3 and 4? Thanks!

II on 12/19, interviewed 1/14, accepted 1/14 later that night with a call from Dr. Schriner!

In-state.

Interviewed 01/07, Accepted 01/07 over the phone (with an email the next day too). Athens Campus!! Loved the whole interview experience, feel free to message me

Anyone attending the Athens campus this July looking for roommates?

If my application status says "Application Submitted" and all my letters have check marks on them is my app considered complete? Or do I have to wait for a complete email?

I just received an II! It's in Athens. Does anyone know if that means I'm interviewing for the Athens campus or the Cleveland campus or both? I ranked Cleveland first; didn't rank Dublin.
They conduct all the interviews at the Athens campus. If you do get selected for the other (Cleveland) campuses, you can ask for a tour there as well, but all the interviews are in Athens as far as I know! When I was interviewed, I don't think they decided my campus preference until after my interview.