2019-2020 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think April 30th is optional: if you ignore it, and keep say 2 acceptances and only "plan to enroll" at one school, the other might send you a warning email and then remove your acceptance (or maybe not even warn you!). It's true some extremely unusual schools are chill about it and don't enforce it, but USF does!

And April 30th is just the date when half of the students with acceptances from basically every school leave. The waitlist will then start to be reviewed by committees and over the next month should fill in those lost spots. Some schools are faster about it since they already review their waitlist ahead of time. So no, I would say the waitlist will be moving heavily until say late May, when it will start to slow down (but some people could get in even in June).

yes and Michelle told me they accept people up until the first day of class

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the 4/30 deadline to narrow to 1 acceptance technically optional?
i don’t know if everyone enforces it but schools can see all of the acceptances you’re holding after that date and may choose to rescind your acceptance if you are “plan to enroll” somewhere else. Also, it is the kinder option for other people who are trying to get off of the waitlist

Reactions: 2 users
I also got the waitlist email but interviewed on 3/16 and haven't actually gotten any mail about my status. I'm not sure if that means I'm waitlisted or they just automatically sent it
I am also in the same boat. I interviewed on 3/16 for the SELECT program and have not heard anything from them except for the "waitlist update" email. Their interview follow up email said formal admission decisions would be sent via USPS, but I have not received anything in the mail. The worst part is, I have been trying to contact the admissions office this week and have not been able to reach anyone. Over the last week, I tried contacted the office and left voicemails and emails but I have not received any information about my application or even been able to get a response.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Does any know much about the MMSD program? I can't seem to find much info on the experience from previous years.

Also, my laptop gave out on me last June and I got a new one that stills fits the technical requirements, do I really need to get a new one just because it was a couple of months before this seemingly arbitrary deadline?

I am also in the same boat. I interviewed on 3/16 for the SELECT program and have not heard anything from them except for the "waitlist update" email. Their interview follow up email said formal admission decisions would be sent via USPS, but I have not received anything in the mail. The worst part is, I have been trying to contact the admissions office this week and have not been able to reach anyone. Over the last week, I tried contacted the office and left voicemails and emails but I have not received any information about my application or even been able to get a response.

They send waitlist decisions by the mail as well, this is how I found out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The financial aid form just became available for me, one day before I have to narrow my list lol. Withdrawing. I feel like there will be a lot of WL movement...

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
The fin-aid, and in general the publicity for the school have been awful. If this was a sales pitch, I would give it an F, my other "A" did a way better job. It's actually really sad, they didn't advertise any of their positives, it's like a bunch of marketing majors with no medical school knowledge took 3 hours to compile the second look website and what not.

But I did a lot of research on this and, barring any last second acceptance at some T20 schools I was WL'd at, I think Imma pick USF for the April 30th deadline.
The students I spoke had the same typical number of complaints as those from my other school...so weirdly enough, the "problems" with organization are actually better later.

The school is still in Florida, the new building looks great, and in general the school seems to be growing. There are tons of minie bonuses that add up that they never mentioned: like that SELECT helps you do QI research projects that residencies really like (the guidance seems awesome because research is a weak spot for me), they give you a little 2k moving stipend (supposedly) to move to Lehigh, Lehigh's rotations are way "chiller" (you get more off time to do SHELF and STEP2 prep and in general sleep and not die lol, people said they consistently get weekends off instead of just 1 day off like other rotations, and apparently the chillness has zero negative impact on your clinical abilities, they're just kinder and won't drive you crazy), you can do away rotations super freaking easily, your fourth year can end in like FEBRUARY (no kidding, one student told me they did their last rotation in February, and they ended up going to UCSF for residency), you can arrange your sched apparently to make a butt ton of time for STEP2, SELECT is like a little resume booster considering the whole STEP1 P/F debacle so maybe will help you stand out, 4th year you can almost purely do electives, in other words just do rotations in your wanted field to really pump out your letters of rec and credentials if you set your mind on a specialty, lots of personalized attention at LVHN, and the list goes on.

Also other things, like to chill out about the pre-clinical grading: apparently only 3d year grades get used for AOA (and I think maybe even ranking). The first 2 years literally are just a psychological trick to get you to study. While that sucks and causes stress, most schools that pretend to be P/F are lying (well at least my other acceptance is), and still keep a "secret" class ranking that you can bet your ass they will share with residencies whether you like it or not lol. So saying the graded thing is a huge negative I think should be taken with a grain of salt, because, trust me, TRUE P/F schools are rare, and most of the P/F schools sprouting around are definitely still ranking you, some with your preclinical grades also included (except you don't even know how you're doing!!!). To be fair, it's still extra stress to see myself missing a HP and getting a P. But I don't think I care so much anymore.

Edit: I could keep going (lol I'm just trying to list everything because I'm going crazy with having to pick a school finally lmao).
Having an all star Dean is a big plus: Charles Lockwood is actually a heavyweight (read his Bio and prepare to be wowed), unlike some of other Deans who either are unimpressive, or worse are not involved at all with the school and kind of just show up for 2-3 years and then leave with their resumes poofed up.
Also, this will be controversial and people will disagree with me hardcore on this, but I think the US World Research ranking (which USF got its highest mark at #47) is the most reliable grade we have of it, and that's top 50 which is legit. Research ranking at least has a very clear formula: how much research/NIH money do you rake in, and a few other ACTUALLY MEASURABLE data points. No offense, but the Primary Care and PD rankings are BS lol. Like, did you reach out to EVERY director in the country, and ask them to rank schools from 1 to 200? Lol. Yea right. Also, even if you want to go into Primary Care, how the **** did they determine a Primary Care ranking lmao? I'm fairly sure going to a research heavy institution will open just as many doors to Primary Care...so that's an utterly pointless ranking.
The SOAP thing was weird. Yeah, for some mysterious reason Ortho got shredded, no doubt. But when I look at the match list, I see so many Rads and other specialties, I really doubt the school is going to hold you back at all. If anything, I'm sure the admin and Lockwood are going to berate the residencies, and in a few years (with STEP1 P/F) USF and LVHN are both going to be taking Morsani students like crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
The fin-aid, and in general the publicity for the school have been awful. If this was a sales pitch, I would give it an F, my other "A" did a way better job. It's actually really sad, they didn't advertise any of their positives, it's like a bunch of marketing majors with no medical school knowledge took 3 hours to compile the second look website and what not.

But I did a lot of research on this and, barring any last second acceptance at some T20 schools I was WL'd at, I think Imma pick USF for the April 30th deadline.
The students I spoke had the same typical number of complaints as those from my other school...so weirdly enough, the "problems" with organization are actually better later.

The school is still in Florida, the new building looks great, and in general the school seems to be growing. There are tons of minie bonuses that add up that they never mentioned: like that SELECT helps you do QI research projects that residencies really like (the guidance seems awesome because research is a weak spot for me), they give you a little 2k moving stipend (supposedly) to move to Lehigh, Lehigh's rotations are way "chiller" (you get more off time to do SHELF and STEP2 prep and in general sleep and not die lol, people said they consistently get weekends off instead of just 1 day off like other rotations, and apparently the chillness has zero negative impact on your clinical abilities, they're just kinder and won't drive you crazy), you can do away rotations super freaking easily, your fourth year can end in like FEBRUARY (no kidding, one student told me they did their last rotation in February, and they ended up going to UCSF for residency), you can arrange your sched apparently to make a butt ton of time for STEP2, SELECT is like a little resume booster considering the whole STEP1 P/F debacle so maybe will help you stand out, 4th year you can almost purely do electives, in other words just do rotations in your wanted field to really pump out your letters of rec and credentials if you set your mind on a specialty, lots of personalized attention at LVHN, and the list goes on.

Also other things, like to chill out about the pre-clinical grading: apparently only 3d year grades get used for AOA (and I think maybe even ranking). The first 2 years literally are just a psychological trick to get you to study. While that sucks and causes stress, most schools that pretend to be P/F are lying (well at least my other acceptance is), and still keep a "secret" class ranking that you can bet your ass they will share with residencies whether you like it or not lol. So saying the graded thing is a huge negative I think should be taken with a grain of salt, because, trust me, TRUE P/F schools are rare, and most of the P/F schools sprouting around are definitely still ranking you, some with your preclinical grades also included (except you don't even know how you're doing!!!). To be fair, it's still extra stress to see myself missing a HP and getting a P. But I don't think I care so much anymore.

Edit: I could keep going (lol I'm just trying to list everything because I'm going crazy with having to pick a school finally lmao).
Having an all star Dean is a big plus: Charles Lockwood is actually a heavyweight (read his Bio and prepare to be wowed), unlike some of other Deans who either are unimpressive, or worse are not involved at all with the school and kind of just show up for 2-3 years and then leave with their resumes poofed up.
Also, this will be controversial and people will disagree with me hardcore on this, but I think the US World Research ranking (which USF got its highest mark at #47) is the most reliable grade we have of it, and that's top 50 which is legit. Research ranking at least has a very clear formula: how much research/NIH money do you rake in, and a few other ACTUALLY MEASURABLE data points. No offense, but the Primary Care and PD rankings are BS lol. Like, did you reach out to EVERY director in the country, and ask them to rank schools from 1 to 200? Lol. Yea right. Also, even if you want to go into Primary Care, how the **** did they determine a Primary Care ranking lmao? I'm fairly sure going to a research heavy institution will open just as many doors to Primary Care...so that's an utterly pointless ranking.
The SOAP thing was weird. Yeah, for some mysterious reason Ortho got shredded, no doubt. But when I look at the match list, I see so many Rads and other specialties, I really doubt the school is going to hold you back at all. If anything, I'm sure the admin and Lockwood are going to berate the residencies, and in a few years (with STEP1 P/F) USF and LVHN are both going to be taking Morsani students like crazy.

What do you mean by the students having same number of complaints as your other school

Hello everyone!

Well, this is unreal. I got the call today for MD SELECT! (Actually, I got two of them yesterday--that I missed!)

Anyway, I've got a few data points for anyone interested:

Program: MD SELECT
Application Complete: December 2019
Interview Date: Early February
LOI Submitted: Two days after interview via post
Waitlist Date: Sometime in March?
Acceptance Call: 28 April 2020 (29 April 2020 if you count the missed calls--still can't believe I did that)
GPA: 3.5x (AMCAS), 3.9x (major), strong upward trend
MCAT: 514

It looks like I've got a little catch up to do regarding housing and the like. At the moment I am interested in discussing rooming with someone downtown. I seem to remember some others discussing housing earlier in this thread which I'll go back through and review later.

Anyway, I am super hyped for this!!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Does any know much about the MMSD program? I can't seem to find much info on the experience from previous years.

Also, my laptop gave out on me last June and I got a new one that stills fits the technical requirements, do I really need to get a new one just because it was a couple of months before this seemingly arbitrary deadline?

Current MS1 here. Had a friend who did the MSSD program and they really liked it. It's a nice little (free) introduction to medical school and refresher as well if you're coming off from a gap year(s). It was a smaller group so you could get to know the professors better as well who thought. Plus some people received a small stipend for relocating costs which was nice lol. Now with that being said, if school in-person is still an uncertainty come July and the program would be online, not sure if it'd be the same experience.

As far as the laptop checks, if you recently bought it before the 12 month requirement, I am pretty sure they weren't checking receipts (don't quote me on this just in case others did, but I bought a new laptop and don't remember showing proof). IT checked all the tech requirements, and then in person, they just made sure the screen was the right size and you had the remaining materials (privacy screen, ethernet cord)

Reactions: 1 users
They send waitlist decisions by the mail as well, this is how I found out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They ended up emailing me back today and clarified that I was waitlisted. Still no mail with my decision, however, I was told it should reach me soon. Good luck to everyone on their waitlists!

Hello everyone!

Well, this is unreal. I got the call today for MD SELECT! (Actually, I got two of them yesterday--that I missed!)

Anyway, I've got a few data points for anyone interested:

Program: MD SELECT
Application Complete: December 2019
Interview Date: Early February
LOI Submitted: Two days after interview via post
Waitlist Date: Sometime in March?
Acceptance Call: 28 April 2020 (29 April 2020 if you count the missed calls--still can't believe I did that)
GPA: 3.5x (AMCAS), 3.9x (major), strong upward trend
MCAT: 514

It looks like I've got a little catch up to do regarding housing and the like. At the moment I am interested in discussing rooming with someone downtown. I seem to remember some others discussing housing earlier in this thread which I'll go back through and review later.

Anyway, I am super hyped for this!!!
Congrats that’s awesome! I hope we start to see some movement for Core :))

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing from CORE MD

Good luck everyone!

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Withdrawing from CORE MD

Good luck everyone!

Noooooooooooo! Icebird :(

Hey man good luck at Miami Miller or wherever you go ;)

By the way, another person posted about a lease, you kinda missed it :p

• Haha
I’m so nervous for tomorrow!

Yeah! Every school is getting withdrawels like CRAZY. Does not matter if you're low tier, upper tier, or middle tier, it's gonna be a blood bath!

On the bright side, in the next 3 weeks some serious movement is gonna happen on the waitlists

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
In the post-interview email, they said that they'd prefer a LOI only after we hear a decision from our interview. I interviewed online on 3/30 and haven't heard back from the committee at all yet. Do you guys think it'd still be worth sending a LOI since a good deal of movement is expected soon?

I'm dying out here for some waitlist movement news.
Turned my phone off silent mode for the first time in like 5 years just awaiting any notifications from this thread or (fingers crossed) a call from USF.

Reactions: 6 users
In the post-interview email, they said that they'd prefer a LOI only after we hear a decision from our interview. I interviewed online on 3/30 and haven't heard back from the committee at all yet. Do you guys think it'd still be worth sending a LOI since a good deal of movement is expected soon?

probably, it won’t hurt to send it

Looks like silence today - Ive been glued to my phone 24/7

Reactions: 9 users
I got called by the dean yesterday and got accepted to the CORE program. He said he had my acceptance letter in front of him so i'd say it's safe to assume they will start mailing acceptances soon. I will be declining the acceptance so I hope it goes to one of you guys.

Reactions: 6 users
I got called by the dean yesterday and got accepted to the CORE program. He said he had my acceptance letter in front of him so i'd say it's safe to assume they will start mailing acceptances soon. I will be declining the acceptance so I hope it goes to one of you guys.
That's awesome! Do you remember when you interviewed?

I turned down my other acceptance and "planned to enroll" today here at USF for SELECT :D

Some long and difficult deliberation occurrence to get to this point, including spending the past 10 hours on my couch just thinking, haha.

I've got some heavy hitting waitlists, but for now:

GO BULLS!

Reactions: 10 users
hello! calls are being made today -- got in off the waitlist! (core applicant)

Reactions: 12 users
I was recently admitted to SELECT on 4/28 by a phone call from the dean after interviewing on 3/16. I sent in my letter of intent on 4/27 so I'm not sure if that influenced it but don't lose hope! Even late interviews get in without being waitlisted! But also do any of the admitted students know how I can join this groupchat. Would love to start meeting y'all

I think the main one is the FB group, that you can find searching "morsani 2024".

do you think they're accepting high stat applicants off the waitlist first?

do you think they're accepting high stat applicants off the waitlist first?

I doubt it. It seems like it was more dependent on interview performance based on what the Dean said in my call.

Reactions: 2 users