2019-2020 South Florida

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II for SELECT (10/7 in Allentown) via phone an hour ago!! First one, what a way to start the weekend

Complete 7/10, LM 73 OOS

Edit: I originally only applied to CORE but got switched to SELECT if that helps anyone. I live 45 min from Lehigh Valley campus
 
Last edited:
Hello all, I'm a new M1 in SELECT and am happy to answer any questions (as best as I can, only been here a few weeks!)

I get the impression that the difference between the SELECT and Core programs is that the SELECT program has a slightly more administrative lean. Would you say that characterization is accurate? And what sort of role do you see in your and your classmates' futures?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I'm interviewing for SELECT and this is my top choice. Do you have any suggestions or advice for the interview? Thanks in advance

Congrats on the interview! I would look into the things that SELECT emphasizes like emotional intelligence, teamwork, and leadership and thinking about any experiences that relate to them. It’s honestly very relaxed, very conversational! I enjoyed my interview very much and it made me really want to come here.
 
I get the impression that the difference between the SELECT and Core programs is that the SELECT program has a slightly more administrative lean. Would you say that characterization is accurate? And what sort of role do you see in your and your classmates' futures?

There is a lean towards health systems, management, and leadership. Whether or not this plays in a role in our future careers, I’m not totally sure. Basically, SELECT is a scholarly concentration, so select students don’t do one like the CORE students do. Personally, I think the SELECT curriculum is highly applicable for teamwork in general as there’s an emphasis on developing emotional intelligence and learning how to self-regulate, manage conflicts, and be aware of differences that exist between us and our peers and patients.
 
There is a lean towards health systems, management, and leadership. Whether or not this plays in a role in our future careers, I’m not totally sure. Basically, SELECT is a scholarly concentration, so select students don’t do one like the CORE students do. Personally, I think the SELECT curriculum is highly applicable for teamwork in general as there’s an emphasis on developing emotional intelligence and learning how to self-regulate, manage conflicts, and be aware of differences that exist between us and our peers and patients.
Do you think it would be correct to view SELECT as somewhat like the Health Systems Engineering concentration, but with a level of focus that is more towards a specific healthcare practice or hospital rather than a broad-based look at medicine as an institution? Or would it be more like a concentration on clinical skills with the same level of focus a CORE student would put on research or public health or any other specific concentration? Or is it some combination of that or something completely different?
 
Do you think it would be correct to view SELECT as somewhat like the Health Systems Engineering concentration, but with a level of focus that is more towards a specific healthcare practice or hospital rather than a broad-based look at medicine as an institution? Or would it be more like a concentration on clinical skills with the same level of focus a CORE student would put on research or public health or any other specific concentration? Or is it some combination of that or something completely different?

I would say its definitely a mix of both. If you look at the SELECT curriculum, we discuss leadership, values based patient centered care, and health systems. The summer immersion can involve research in any of the three. Honestly, there isn't a huge difference between CORE and SELECT other than the fact that you don't pick a scholarly concentration and you move to Lehigh Valley for the clinical years.
 
By the way-totally fine to generally discuss the interview and how you felt about yours, but you can't share any details since you sign an NDA. Adcoms do check both here and Reddit and have ways to find out who you are-they can and will penalize you for violating the NDA.
 
I would say its definitely a mix of both. If you look at the SELECT curriculum, we discuss leadership, values based patient centered care, and health systems. The summer immersion can involve research in any of the three. Honestly, there isn't a huge difference between CORE and SELECT other than the fact that you don't pick a scholarly concentration and you move to Lehigh Valley for the clinical years.
How would you say the clinical experience is at Lehigh compared to what it would be like at Tampa General if you were in CORE?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those that received phone calls for interview, did they just assign you an interview date? Or do you get to pick?
 
How would you say the clinical experience is at Lehigh compared to what it would be like at Tampa General if you were in CORE?

SELECT MS3 here.

Main three sites for core students are TGH, Moffitt cancer center, and the James A Haley VA. Although I do know a couple of people who rotate at Johns Hopkins All Children's in St. Pete, which is awesome. SELECT students rotate at Lehigh Valley Health Network campuses in Cedar Crest, Muhlenberg, and 17th street. In terms of reputation/variety of hospitals, it's hard to say SELECT is comparable in that regard.

Generally for core the rotations are 8 weeks, (although surgery is 12 I hear). In SELECT the rotations are 12 weeks (more time to study for shelf). SELECT also has a longitudinal family med rotation throughout the year, while core has a more traditional separate family med rotation. Idk which is better tbh, each has pros and cons. SELECT also has more outpatient experience than inpatient experience. 50-50 split in select, i think it's closer to 60 ip-40 op or 70-30 in core, but not exactly sure.

This is hearsay, but it seems that the rotations at Lehigh valley are not as stressful as the rotations in Tampa. Not sure what this means specifically, just something i've noticed. From my experience so far, the preceptors at LVHN are great, and teach well. SELECT has been around for a while so they seem to be pretty used to students by now, which was something I worried about when I first came. there's also Desales University PA students and 4th year PCOM students who come and rotate sometimes, but it definitely feels like select students are the main student presence here.

Those are the main differences I can think of, but let me know if you have any more specific questions.
 
Yes, I was told by someone in their office that the residency form requirement is a must-do in order for the application to be viewed as complete.
I was actually called by the admissions office about this. They called to say my residency form wasn't complete so I asked them if that means the committee had reviewed my app and they said yes. SO, you have to submit it but that doesn't mean it has to be perfect 😉
 
Damn, what's going to happen with hurricane Dorian on the way?
Checking in as a Tampa local. Shouldn't be a big deal here in Tampa. Whether we get hit or not, the storm will pass through by the end of Monday. Will probably get some heavy rain and wind gusts, but based on the current forecasting, doesn't look like we will be taking the brunt of it here on the west coast. If it is a serious concern for people potentially traveling for interviews next week, I'm sure the school will be flexible. All is par for the course for a Florida school in September.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi everyone, I didn't submit my primary to USF yet, but was wondering if there is a prerequisite section/question that asks about any online coursework you completed? thanks!!
 
hi everyone, I didn't submit my primary to USF yet, but was wondering if there is a prerequisite section/question that asks about any online coursework you completed? thanks!!
I'm pretty sure there wasn't.
 
Actually, yes please let me know. I couldnt find anywhere that says I can't.
I'm just trying to help anyone new to Tampa going to their interview who needs somewhere close to USF Morsani to stay at. I'm a student myself and I know how hard finding an affordable place can be (especially in Tampa).

From Rules:
6. Don’t stealth market/advertise. If you want to discuss your product or service in the forums, we ask that you do so in a transparent and professional manner. We do not want to dilute valuable discussion with fake accounts posting to secretly promote services or products. To discuss your service or product, you must be a recognized sponsor. You have two options for sponsorship: 1. basic sponsorship which identifies you as a sponsor to our members and allows for signature block placement. 2. subforum sponsorship which additionally includes banner placements on the subforums sponsored. (Note that we maintain a strict firewall between sponsorship and content. No content or forum preferences are given to sponsors.)

Are you a sponsor?
 
Any current students out there who originally applied for CORE but were switched to SELECT by adcoms? I'm prepping for my interview and trying to identify what aspects of my application made them decide I would be a better fit for SELECT.
 
just a quick question about the scholarly concentration prompt. Are we all supposed to choose a concentration of interest or is that an optional program offered? I know the essay prompt is optional but im confused
 
just a quick question about the scholarly concentration prompt. Are we all supposed to choose a concentration of interest or is that an optional program offered? I know the essay prompt is optional but im confused

The SCP is optional, but the majority of CORE students participate. You should just do the essay and pick one that seems interesting to you as it just gives the committee more information about you, but it's in no way binding.

Source: am current M1
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone get an email when they submitted their secondary or when their app was complete? I received one for every school except USF.