2019-2020 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when you guys submitted the secondary, did you get any receipt for the payment or confirmation email for the application?

Members don't see this ad.

2 open file, one-on-one interviews with faculty
How long were the interviews? Were you and the interviewer pressed to be done in 30 minutes or was the length more flexible?

How long were the interviews? Were you and the interviewer pressed to be done in 30 minutes or was the length more flexible?
Each was supposed to be 30 minutes, but ours were cut short because they were short-staffed on interviewers that day. Super conversational.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding application updates, the website says this:
"The Office of MD Admissions will only accept application updates AFTER an applicant has been invited to interview. If applicable, additional information can then be submitted on the day of your interview and after. When submitting additional information, please indicate that you are an applicant invited to interview so updates are included with your file. Acceptable updates include any significant developments in scholarly endeavors or projects or letters of recommendation."
I interviewed at USF a month ago. I sent an update on Thursday, and got a really snarky response from someone in their admissions office that "consistent with their published policy" they are unable to accept any application updates. Like I should have known better. Huh? Has anyone else had this issue? Do I respond? USF was my top choice but this kinda rubs me the wrong way. Any suggestions would be welcome...I feel my update qualifies as a "significant developments in scholarly endeavors."

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
They were very clear in person, no updates unless it is something your interviewer asked for. Now, if it is something you talked about with your interviewer (hey bro - because that's how we talk to interviewers - Imma go publish this paper in some journal sometime) then you talked about it in the interview and you can send it to them. Just be clear when you send the update that it was discussed within the interview.

They were very clear in person, no updates unless it is something your interviewer asked for. Now, if it is something you talked about with your interviewer (hey bro - because that's how we talk to interviewers - Imma go publish this paper in some journal sometime) then you talked about it in the interview and you can send it to them. Just be clear when you send the update that it was discussed within the interview.

Thanks! I’m my visit they didn’t say that specifically. And it’s very clear on their website that their “policy” is different from what they said at your visit. I guess I will just remain looking like an idiot!

• Sad
Thanks! I’m my visit they didn’t say that specifically. And it’s very clear on their website that their “policy” is different from what they said at your visit. I guess I will just remain looking like an idiot!
Don't take it too personally. Admission committees are all very busy right now, and anything that came off the wrong may have unintended and not directed completely towards you.

Honestly, even if you talked tangentially about it you can say you talked about it and send it in

Does anybody remember how long they said it usually takes to hear back post-interview? I’m getting so antsy here, even though I know it’s early. I thought I remembered hearing them say two to three weeks.

Does anybody remember how long they said it usually takes to hear back post-interview? I’m getting so antsy here, even though I know it’s early. I thought I remembered hearing them say two to three weeks.
Hear back about what? Schools are bound by AAMC rules and cannot offer any admissions before October 15 at the earliest.

they can't release any decisions until October 15.

They said 2-3 weeks after oct 5

Members don't see this ad :)
II for CORE this morning, in-state. Latest date available was 10/8.

Reactions: 4 users
For the interview day, has anyone used the student housing option or been to the dinner the night before with medical students? How did it go? Does attendance bear weight on the admissions process? Does any input from these students go to admissions?

I am not sure I can attend the dinner before. When do you have to rsvp by? Does it look bad to not attend? Are we sure no feedback goes back to the admissions committee? I am not sure if it looks bad to not attend the dinner

It does not look bad. Its literally just for your convenience/welcome if you can go. They know that not everyone will be able to attend, so they would not make any of the feedback/interview based on that. It would be inequitable for students who can't make it.

I am not sure I can attend the dinner before. When do you have to rsvp by? Does it look bad to not attend? Are we sure no feedback goes back to the admissions committee? I am not sure if it looks bad to not attend the dinner
I went, it was fun and relaxed. The biggest plus to going, I felt, was that it made the next day a lot more comfortable. If you're going to do something stressful, its even worse when you do it with a whole bunch of strangers. It was nice to meet people and chat before they got stressed too.

Wondering how USF picks to accept from interviews. Say for example you went to the first interview session, you’d presumably be among the school’s top picks (from the apps they’d reviewed by that time). US World & News says they accept 62% of IS (but for some reason 67% of OOS interviewees). Does that mean that even though they presumably interview people they’re most interested in (of the reciewed apps) first, they’d only accept 62/67% from each round or do they accept more people from early interviews compared to later ones and it all averages to 62/67%?

Wondering how USF picks to accept from interviews. Say for example you went to the first interview session, you’d presumably be among the school’s top picks (from the apps they’d reviewed by that time). US World & News says they accept 62% of IS (but for some reason 67% of OOS interviewees). Does that mean that even though they presumably interview people they’re most interested in (of the reciewed apps) first, they’d only accept 62/67% from each round or do they accept more people from early interviews compared to later ones and it all averages to 62/67%?
If the school interviews you, of course they're interested. From the interview, if you're a fit, than you're a fit and you're accepted. I wouldn't try to read into it too much as every school is a little different on how they make post-interview decisions. Best thing to do is sit patiently and wait for that phone-call/email.

If the school interviews you, of course they're interested. From the interview, if you're a fit, than you're a fit and you're accepted. I wouldn't try to read into it too much as every school is a little different on how they make post-interview decisions. Best thing to do is sit patiently and wait for that phone-call/email.
Sure, then why publish any numbers at all! Who cares how many people they interview or move off the waitlist. You are welcome to wait in the dark, I will know.

• Wow
Any way to check the status of your secondary? I completed a long time ago and haven't heard much back from them. Are they still offering II's?

Anyone know if the social/dinner the night before is formal? I’m just packing jeans

II now, is anyone having trouble selecting an interview date?

When I interviewed, it was just a call and they gave you two dates one the spot.
Oh maybe they had a system error, they gave me an email that said take the next step and the interview slot disappeared. Oh well

Did anyone else get an email from admissions stating to take the next step with your application? I already submitted my secondary in August, so I’m wondering if it’s just a glitch. For people who were invited to interview, did you receive a phone call or email?

Did anyone else get an email from admissions stating to take the next step with your application? I already submitted my secondary in August, so I’m wondering if it’s just a glitch. For people who were invited to interview, did you receive a phone call or email?
I got that email right before I got an II.

I got the next step email too but no II and the portal looks the same, should I call and ask about it or just wait (hopefully) for a call?
I tried calling a couple of times but there has been no one picking up the phone. The suspense is killing me :/ lol

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a CORE II!! Complete sometime in early August (maybe the 8th?), OOS, LM <70

Gave three dates in October (15th, 22nd, and 29th)

Just got a CORE II!! Complete sometime in early August (maybe the 8th?), OOS, LM <70

Gave three dates in October (15th, 22nd, and 29th)

Did they send an email or call you? Received an email saying to "take the next step" but the link they gave had an interview date option that disappeared after I refreshed the page?

Did they send an email or call you? Received an email saying to "take the next step" but the link they gave had an interview date option that disappeared after I refreshed the page?

They sent me an email. I received the "take the next step" email first and then I got another email telling me "Congratulations, we're offering you an interview!" I clicked on the link in the "take the next step" email and there was an interview dropdown box that I was able to select a date from and then I hit submit. I'm not sure why it disappeared when you refreshed the page :confused: I did it on my phone, not on the computer. Idk if that made a difference.

Mine disappeared too, I called and emailed. I'll let you all know what they say!

Reactions: 4 users
I was sent an invite through e-mail this afternoon but I couldn't schedule it on the portal? I didn't even see an option to. I left a vm and also emailed them. Did someone have this problem too?

I was sent an invite through e-mail this afternoon but I couldn't schedule it on the portal? I didn't even see an option to. I left a vm and also emailed them. Did someone have this problem too?
Same. I saw the interview invite on my portal after clicking on the link in my email but it disappeared after I refreshed the page...

Oh no...this is making me nervous...what if that II email was a mistake and I just scheduled before they had a chance to remove it from my portal?

That would be much worse than the "Secondary completed!" emails that CUSM sent out on accident lol

Oh no...this is making me nervous...what if that II email was a mistake and I just scheduled before they had a chance to remove it from my portal?

That would be much worse than the "Secondary completed!" emails that CUSM sent out on accident lol
That’s what I’m thinking as of now. Hopefully it wasn’t haha

Received an II over the phone just now. I got the next step email this morning so hopefully it's a good sign for anyone else who got that email.

Complete 8/13, LizzyM ~ 71

Reactions: 1 users
They probably just sent out the next wave of II. I don't think it was a mistake.

Ya know...there have been schools that sent out II's by accident before.

I'll let ya'll go to bed with that now.