2019-2020 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my AWPA letter today in the mail! Interviewed 1/16.

Got an AWPA email today as well. I am a bit curious to know if anyone that interviewed from November/December received an email from Beth that their file was not presented at the January admissions meeting due to a majority of the committee being sick?

Tl;dr Did anyone else's application get deferred from the January meeting to February meeting?

Members don't see this ad.

Got an AWPA email today as well. I am a bit curious to know if anyone that interviewed from November/December received an email from Beth that their file was not presented at the January admissions meeting due to a majority of the committee being sick?

Tl;dr Did anyone else's application get deferred from the January meeting to February meeting?
Not mine, but I know one of my friends from early December had their file deferred.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an official Acceptance email!!!! Interviewed 1/16 and AWPA letter this morning.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know here of the Lincoln Scholars program they are opening at SIUSOM. Highly interested in it and I know you guys recently had interviews. How competitive is that and share your experience please! thanks!

Just got an official Acceptance email!!!! Interviewed 1/16 and AWPA letter this morning.
When did you apply , like how late in the cycle or early⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ and can you please provide MCAT and GPA? It would really help!

Based off last year’s thread, 3rd batch should be released either 3/6 or 3/13!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year's third batch was released on 3/8. That was the day I was accepted! Best of luck ya'll!

Hey guys, if you've been accepted, just wondering when you guys sent in your application and received secondaries? I'm planning to apply this next upcoming cycle and I'm getting worried because I lost the date I want for my MCAT. Let me know! At this point I'm looking at a June 5 MCAT date but plan to submit my application that first week for it to be verified without the MCAT date so it seems to me my actual application would not be sent until July 5. Is that late? Let me know!

Hey guys, if you've been accepted, just wondering when you guys sent in your application and received secondaries? I'm planning to apply this next upcoming cycle and I'm getting worried because I lost the date I want for my MCAT. Let me know! At this point I'm looking at a June 5 MCAT date but plan to submit my application that first week for it to be verified without the MCAT date so it seems to me my actual application would not be sent until July 5. Is that late? Let me know!
That's plenty of time. I didn't submit my primary until mid-August and received my secondary a few weeks later. I wouldn't worry!

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my application August 15, 2019 since I took the MCAT at the very end of June, and was accepted today!

I submitted my application August 15, 2019 since I took the MCAT at the very end of June, and was accepted today!
that's awesome!! what was your mcat score and gpa if you don't mind!!!? congrats on the acceptance!!!

Has anyone heard anything recently? Will there be a batch anytime this week?

Did not receive an email this week. Hopefully next week! Stay safe everyone :)

Has anyone heard anything this week?

Has anyone heard anything this week?

Hey everyone. I am new to SDN but I have been following this thread for a while and I thought I would create an account give you all an update. My best friend (who I have been applying with this whole cycle) got an acceptance email last week on Wednesday, March 11, 2020. I still haven't heard anything back myself yet :cryi:.

From what I gather from last year's thread, we are now at the phase where we have to wait until around decision day in April since last week was the last batch to "fill the class." However, from last year's thread, they did sprinkle some acceptances from now till then, but not a lot. And although people were expecting a lot of movement off of the AWPA list from May to July, that didn't necessarily happen and only a few more people were moved off of the list. According to last year's thread, 140-150 people are put on the AWPA, but only 125 people were given acceptance to fill a class of 72 which was low from previous years.

I haven't called SIU or Beth to verify any of this info. This is solely from reading through last year's thread. I also have no idea how COVID-19 is impacting our status and the delivery of our acceptances. However, this process has been really brutal on my mental health especially since I am still waiting for my first acceptance. I just couldn't stand seeing you all waiting for an update while I was holding all that info.

Hey everyone. I am new to SDN but I have been following this thread for a while and I thought I would create an account give you all an update. My best friend (who I have been applying with this whole cycle) got an acceptance email last week on Wednesday, March 11, 2020. I still haven't heard anything back myself yet :cryi:.

From what I gather from last year's thread, we are now at the phase where we have to wait until around decision day in April since last week was the last batch to "fill the class." However, from last year's thread, they did sprinkle some acceptances from now till then, but not a lot. And although people were expecting a lot of movement off of the AWPA list from May to July, that didn't necessarily happen and only a few more people were moved off of the list. According to last year's thread, 140-150 people are put on the AWPA, but only 125 people were given acceptance to fill a class of 72 which was low from previous years.

I haven't called SIU or Beth to verify any of this info. This is solely from reading through last year's thread. I also have no idea how COVID-19 is impacting our status and the delivery of our acceptances. However, this process has been really brutal on my mental health especially since I am still waiting for my first acceptance. I just couldn't stand seeing you all waiting for an update while I was holding all that info.
Thanks, really appreciate you going out of your way to make an account to relay this info. And so the wait continues :(

I just got a message from Beth stating the class is full and we have to wait until people reject their acceptance around the end of April.

Has anyone asked or heard anything about whether or not the pre-orientation or any other activities will be affected by COVID?

Has anyone asked or heard anything about whether or not the pre-orientation or any other activities will be affected by COVID?
Except for my financial award package, I haven’t heard anything from SIU in awhile.

Hey friends! Current M1 here.. While I'm at no liberty to give any information about pre-orientation, I just wanted to inform you all that for the past month our classes have been 100% online. We were also informed that final exams the first week of June will be online. M3 clinical activities (i.e. rotations) have also been suspended, and students are learning remotely. M2s are struggling to study for Step 1, and M4's had their match day ceremonies online and will likely not have an in-person graduation. Needless to say, we're all struggling a bit! Administration is working diligently to keep up with the ever-changing timelines and recommendations and is releasing information as quickly as possible. I'm sure it's frustrating to not know what will happen in the summer, but please try your best to relax and enjoy the extra time with family! Apologies for the unsolicited advice, but just wanted to give anyone who was in the dark a bit of an update.

P.S. (more unsolicited advice...) DO NOT STUDY THIS SUMMER. You've likely heard that input elsewhere, but trust me no one is an exception to the rule. I can promise you that you will look back and laugh. If anyone is super bored now or later this summer and would like some recommendations, medicine-related or not, feel free to shoot me a message.

Keep relaxin and wash those hands!! Best,
a soon to be M2 :)

Last edited:
Anyone else accepted in the Lincoln Scholars Program or applied? If so, can I please message you? I have questions.

Has anyone received an acceptance in the past few days?

I just withdrew my acceptance this afternoon. I hope it goes to one of you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received an acceptance in the past few days?
I literally haven’t heard anything since the last email saying to apply for the Lincoln Scholars Program. Hoping for some updates next week!

Has anyone heard anything?
I have not. Looking at previous years' threads, there seems to be acceptances sprinkled throughout May on various days. All of May seems viable.. I think after June 1 we should be thinking of a Plan B.

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page yet for housing/general use?

Just asked Beth a few things. The Facebook group should be set up sometime next week. And the current plan is for a virtual pre-orientation on June 12 with more info coming soon. I think we'll get a few emails next week about paperwork and other details

Received an acceptance elsewhere and asked Beth to remove my name from the AWPA list. Hope that helps anyone else still waiting for acceptances.

Reactions: 4 users
Just asked Beth a few things. The Facebook group should be set up sometime next week. And the current plan is for a virtual pre-orientation on June 12 with more info coming soon. I think we'll get a few emails next week about paperwork and other details
I’m really hoping our first semester isn’t online.