2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Secondary prompt:
1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
2. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?
3. Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.
4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.
5. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances that you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.

Last edited:
PSA, there's a new MSAR-akin tool for DO schools now that's free to use. Figured I should share! Good luck everyone this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they start sending out secondaries?

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received!

Submitted!

@PapaGuava

Q's:
1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
2. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?
3. Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.
4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.
5. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances that you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.

Are the secondaries selective or are they sent out to everyone who meets the minimum requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach question 3? Is it bad to refer to any clubs we can connect with or have interest in? Just not sure what they're wanting from this question. Or do we focus on the geography.

"Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you. (500 words)"

Am I the only who answered this question as if they're asking about their campus and not the region... I feel like a massive idiot right now.

Crossing this 1 off my list.

Should I be concerned if I was verified 6/13 and still haven't received a secondary?

Should I be concerned if I was verified 6/13 and still haven't received a secondary?

I would think so. I was verified on 6/25 and got the secondary a week later. Might want to give them a call.

Do they screen or is it just the minimum requirements?

This school is asking for too much info! Like.... wayyyyyyy too much.

What are the character counts for the secondary questions?

I just realized it would be dope to live in Oregon and submitted my primary. Here's to being way behind everyone! :banana:

Got my secondary today, OOS. I was verified and submitted mid-May.

Got my secondary! OOS, submitted 2 days ago! That was quick, I'm excited!

Are anyone's reference letters completed? Mine are all set in AACOMAS, but in both my Pomona and Lebanon apps they say they are not completed. Should I contact admissions? ALso my CASPer score is not in yet so maybe they check the letters after they get those results? Anyone have any idea?

Are anyone's reference letters completed? Mine are all set in AACOMAS, but in both my Pomona and Lebanon apps they say they are not completed. Should I contact admissions? ALso my CASPer score is not in yet so maybe they check the letters after they get those results? Anyone have any idea?
My LORs was marked completed only two days ago and I verified/submitted 2ndary's pretty early. I believe they manually check all your letters so it will take a while. You can e-mail but you may not get a response...I e-mailed about that (Pomona) and haven't heard anything back.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Current student here. I know this is a long and nerve racking process, so let me know if you ever have any questions about Lebanon, the school, or just medical school itself. I’ll do my best to answer.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! Current student here. I know this is a long and nerve racking process, so let me know if you ever have any questions about Lebanon, the school, or just medical school itself. I’ll do my best to answer.

Good luck!!
Thanks- what is the best thing about living in Lebanon? Do you like it?

Thanks- what is the best thing about living in Lebanon? Do you like it?

I guess what I like most is the small town type of feel but if you’re craving a a bigger city Corvallis is close by as are Salem and PDX which is nice because sometimes Lebanon will get a bit boring. Lebanon has a decent mix of breweries, restaurants, and different things to do. Plus we are in the middle of a whole bunch of hiking trails if that’s your thing.

Specifically my favorite place is a 1 mile hike that’s really close that ends in a mini waterfall you can swim at. There’s also a brewery/restaurant that my friends and I go to a lot.

Just be prepared that if you are from a big city Lebanon will be a bit of a culture shock. That said, some of my class is from bigger cities and they didn’t seem to have that big of an issue. I just like to kinda caution people that Lebanon is not a large city. But like I said. That’s something that I definitely enjoy!

Reactions: 2 users
Would also like to say Albany is only about 15 min away from the school and has basically everything you need. Between Corvallis and Albany life is pretty great. Honestly, I’m from a small town and this area is really nice. Lebanon has two golf courses, great teriyaki place, good breweries, hiking, 3 nice walking trails, the area around the school is probably the best place I’ve ever walked my dog (green grass for days), there is an outdoor basketball court, field and playground at the elementary school acrossed the street from COMP-NW too. I start school this year but we have lived in a lebanon for about two months now and have really enjoyed it. Plus it’s about 1.5 hours from the mountains, beach and Portland. Eugene is huge and is only about 40 min away.

I was born and raised in Lebanon, lived here for 18 years and my mom still lives here. It’s so weird to hear people talking about it as a medical school small town, because it has changed sooooo much since I was younger!

I have a quick question, does Western have minimum requirements? And if so what are they?

Last edited:
I was born and raised in Lebanon, lived here for 18 years and my mom still lives here. It’s so weird to hear people talking about it as a medical school small town, because it has changed sooooo much since I was younger!

I have a quick question, does Western have minimum requirements? And if so what are they?
There isn't anything published that they hard screen, only competitive class stats: Competitive Class Stats | Prospective Students

My GPAs are no where near the average, so I believe they don't hard screen and look at the entirety of your app.

Soft screens technically. They look at the entire app though.

If I applied in early June and still haven’t received a secondary, would it be out of the question to call and check the status of my application?

If I applied in early June and still haven’t received a secondary, would it be out of the question to call and check the status of my application?
I think it would be okay.

I would call, they really like people who show interest

So I called. They said they raised minimum requirements for MCAT and I didn’t meet that requirement, but they need to check with admission heads before sending out rejection letters because it’s new? Would this warrant me calling back and asking that they look at the rest of my application, including my GPA? I was kind of shocked because I figured I would receive a secondary with my score.

So I called. They said they raised minimum requirements for MCAT and I didn’t meet that requirement, but they need to check with admission heads before sending out rejection letters because it’s new? Would this warrant me calling back and asking that they look at the rest of my application, including my GPA? I was kind of shocked because I figured I would receive a secondary with my score.
What is the minimum requirement now?

What is the minimum requirement now?
They didn’t tell me directly, but I got a 499 MCAT with a 3.8 GPA. That would have passed requirements last year and I only had one subsection that was low in my MCAT. I feel like I should ask for consideration but I’m not sure how lol.

What's your score?

Yikes, I hope it's not higher than 500 since 500 is what I have lol.
I don’t know if I should call and ask to talk over my application. I’m from Lebanon, I have a LOR from a DO that gave a presentation there, my ECs and clinical hours and research are solid. It’s literally just 1 subsection of my MCAT holding me back. Thoughts everyone? :(

I don’t know if I should call and ask to talk over my application. I’m from Lebanon, I have a LOR from a DO that gave a presentation there, my ECs and clinical hours and research are solid. It’s literally just 1 subsection of my MCAT holding me back. Thoughts everyone? :(
I would definitely call them. Being from Lebanon helps a lot. I have a friend that goes their now so I will ask about what he knows about this MCAT increase. Did you already receive a secondary?

Last edited:
They didn’t tell me directly, but I got a 499 MCAT with a 3.8 GPA. That would have passed requirements last year and I only had one subsection that was low in my MCAT. I feel like I should ask for consideration but I’m not sure how lol.
Ugh I hope that's not the case. I have a 499 MCAT too and this school is one of my top choices! I think it never hurts to call and ask.

I think you should, especially since you are from there!

I would definitely call them. Being from Lebanon helps a lot. I have a friend that goes their now so I will ask about what he knows about this MCAT increase. I was also told that they have new software and so are behind on reviewing peoples apps. Interviews are likely to go out mid August. Did you already receive a secondary?
I did.

Ugh I hope that's not the case. I have a 499 MCAT too and this school is one of my top choices! I think it never hurts to call and ask.
Just talked to my friend at the school and was told that if you don't have a 500 you will be rejected pre-secondary.

• Wow
A little unfair to have changed the MCAT requirement without notifying students beforehand. I'm sure people could've saved money not applying if they knew they'd be rejected right away.

Reactions: 4 users