2020-2021 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the deal with the laptop/ipad everyone's talking about? People can't seem to give any specific answer other than we'll get something and have a choice between Windows/iOS. I'm not looking for SKU's, :lol: but can you give any additional detail?

Also, first year tuition is about $54k. We pay a $2k deposit to hold our seat.
When we take out first year loans, can we take out the full $54k and essentially get out deposit money "back", or will the school only let us take out $52k (which is the remaining balance after the credit from the deposit).

Thanks Stella.
Hey!

This was the information given during my matriculation time:

A computer will be provided for your use during your four years at ACOM. Students have the following choices:
(1) Dell XPS 2-in-1 13 inch 7th Generation Intel(R) Core™ i5-7Y57 Processor, 3.3 GHz, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) OR
(2) MacBook Air 13 inch Intel® Core™ i5 (1.6 GHz, Turbo Boost to 2.7 GHz, 8 GB RAM)

The younger class of course got newer laptops than us. You also do get an ipad!

For loans, you are given the exact tuition which goes directly to the school plus however much you take out for living expenses. Via the living expenses, you could say you're "getting your money back," but of course will just ending up owing it one day plus interest.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
What's the deal with the laptop/ipad everyone's talking about? People can't seem to give any specific answer other than we'll get something and have a choice between Windows/iOS. I'm not looking for SKU's, :lol: but can you give any additional detail?

Also, first year tuition is about $54k. We pay a $2k deposit to hold our seat.
When we take out first year loans, can we take out the full $54k and essentially get out deposit money "back", or will the school only let us take out $52k (which is the remaining balance after the credit from the deposit).

Thanks Stella.
Its cause they wait till the last minute to buy to get the best deal. So people can tell you what they got last year, but it has some variation year to year. You tell the school how much you want to take but since you already paid the deposit they will take out 52k and you keep whatever extra you decided to take out. But just FYI there is a disbursement fee on federal loans, so don't take out just 54k you will need more then that

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
When will we start seeing movement off the waitlist? I interviewed in August and got waitlisted. Just wanting to know if there is still a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
When will we start seeing movement off the waitlist? I interviewed in August and got waitlisted. Just wanting to know if there is still a chance.
From what I understand they haven't looked at the Waitlist yet. I'm guessing that they will start looking after March when the interviews stop. But again that's just a guess. I don't know. Last year's forum had people getting off the waitlist in July so there's still time to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, does anyone remember how much dedicated time acom gives for board prep?

I have an interview coming up soon! Does anyone know if interviewing this late at ACOM is basically a guaranteed waitlist or not?

• Hmm
So i was waitlisted last week and got a random email just now saying I was accepted. but my portal hasn't changed? super confused and they won't pick up kinda scared it is a mistake
Doubt they would make a mistake like that. Might take a day or two for the portal update. Congrats on the A!!

Doubt they would make a mistake like that. Might take a day or two for the portal update. Congrats on the A!!
Thank you so much i really appreciate it - was just super thrown off because I literally was waitlisted less than a week ago, was not expecting this

Members don't see this ad :)
So i was waitlisted last week and got a random email just now saying I was accepted. but my portal hasn't changed? super confused and they won't pick up kinda scared it is a mistake
Same thing just happened to me! Waitlisted last week and accepted today. Let's hope its not a mistake

Hey guys, anyone know compared to wvsom which one might be better ? Leaning towards acom bc it feels less rural but still not sure where i might better better off for either IM and emergency medicine

I got off the wl in like may. i know people who got off the waitlist from jan all the way till the first week of class. keep the faith!

Reactions: 5 users
WAITLISTED NOOOOOOOO 🥺🥺🥺 hope I get off the waitlist! Interviewed 2/12, 3.69 cGPA/501/3.5 sGPA/standard ECs.

My interviewer seemed to be misguided about my research experiences, though, as one experience had conclusive data and the other did not, but he thought they were the same thing, so when I tried to explain I felt he was a little dismissive and thought I fibbed about them or something, even though I detailed them as clearly distinct on my application. Not sure if that would have had an effect on my decision, but who knows.

WAITLISTED NOOOOOOOO 🥺🥺🥺 hope I get off the waitlist! Interviewed 2/12, 3.69 cGPA/501/3.5 sGPA/standard ECs.

My interviewer seemed to be misguided about my research experiences, though, as one experience had conclusive data and the other did not, but he thought they were the same thing, so when I tried to explain I felt he was a little dismissive and thought I fibbed about them or something, even though I detailed them as clearly distinct on my application. Not sure if that would have had an effect on my decision, but who knows.
I was waitlisted at first and then accepted after only being on the waitlist for five days. I think there will be lots of waitlist movement this cycle so stay strong!

Interviewed 1/29

Waitlisted 2/22. Interviewed 2/12. 3.X sGPA, 3.X cGPA, 51X MCAT. My cat knocked over my laptop and for the remainder of the day, I had a loose hinge and had my camera pointing above my head, unfortunately. To my fellow interview day companions and ACOM students and faculty, I am so sorry for this mishap and less than ideal scenery.

Apologize for the X edits; my mom found me on here...

Last edited:

Praying for As for everyone!!!! Let’s stay hopeful!

• Care
Hi everyone, current second year here and future fellow for next year. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to DM me!
I was wondering if you would tell me what you like the most about ACOM academically and in terms of the ACOM community. ACOM is my top choice but I would love to know your thoughts.

Does ACOM give out scholarships or would you have to apply to specific ones listed on their website? Any current students, please give insight as I’m hoping to ease some of my financial burdens if possible! :)

Does ACOM give out scholarships or would you have to apply to specific ones listed on their website? Any current students, please give insight as I’m hoping to ease some of my financial burdens if possible! :)
There are no scholarships given out by ACOM, besides 2 you can apply for your second year.

I remember seeing it posted in this forum before, but I want to know if anyone can confirm it

If we attend ACOM we are given and iPad and the choice between a Dell or Mac computer. Is that correct?

I remember seeing it posted in this forum before, but I want to know if anyone can confirm it

If we attend ACOM we are given and iPad and the choice between a Dell or Mac computer. Is that correct?
correct. dell latitude or mb air

Just got the R :(
Disappointed, but at least I didn’t get a silent R.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Also got the R after being put on interview hold. I think lots of people not from the southeast area are getting rejected at this time.

Also got the R after being put on interview hold. I think lots of people not from the southeast area are getting rejected at this time.
From what I have read there’s a ton more Waitlist spots and R’s than the previous years. This cycle is crazy.

Pre II R
OOS URM 510 3.3sgpa
Good luck everyone!

• Care
Just submitted my secondary! Did any interviewers bring up your CASPER score?

Just submitted my secondary! Did any interviewers bring up your CASPER score?
Nope, but I wish they did, I would be very interested to know how I scored on that lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Interview invite on 2/25 but withdrawing app as I have A's elsewhere. Good luck to all

Reactions: 3 users