2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that it is due to students who were going to have gap years decided to apply this year due to the pandemic limiting activities.
Also students who didn’t think they’d have time to study enough for the MCAT had more time than expected due to situations like being laid off.
I have considered this aspect as well and feel like it is a major factor. The gap year has been gaining popularity and our data show that med school applications fell about about 10% last year. This year I suspect that those who took the gap year, and those who had planned to take a gap year this year and did not, combined for a majority of the increase. Other factors initiated by the AAMC like the increase in the FAP limit and extension of the MCAT dates, offering more MCAT testing opportunities by (40-50%), reduction in the testing times were, I suspect, also lesser contributing factors. There were projections earlier in the application season that projected a drop in applications. I greatly discount the "F effect" theory that is being espoused, most successful applicants began the journey to this application season 2+ years ago.

I would be interested in hearing from any applicants who did not intend to apply this year, but decided to do so for xx reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have considered this aspect as well and feel like it is a major factor. The gap year has been gaining popularity and our data show that med school applications fell about about 10% last year. This year I suspect that those who took the gap year, and those who had planned to take a gap year this year and did not, combined for a majority of the increase. Other factors initiated by the AAMC like the increase in the FAP limit and extension of the MCAT dates, offering more MCAT testing opportunities by (40-50%), reduction in the testing times were, I suspect, also lesser contributing factors. There were projections earlier in the application season that projected a drop in applications. I greatly discount the "F effect" theory that is being espoused, most successful applicants began the journey to this application season 2+ years ago.

I would be interested in hearing from any applicants who did not intend to apply this year, but decided to do so for xx reason.
I was one of those applicants who wasn't going to apply this cycle, but changed their mind last minute. I applied in the 2019-2020 cycle and was waitlisted, so I planned to take 2 years to teach and focus on some outside work/hobbies. But online opportunities were limited (as @DearFutureDoctor mentioned) and I live with high-risk parents, so spending time polishing my app + reapplying made a lot of sense at the time. General uncertainty about the future helped make the decision lol.

FAP extension was also a factor and so was the shortened MCAT. My low mcat score was my biggest pitfall so I decided to study bit by bit with the extra time I had at home, and then I committed to a retake. My score improved drastically so I decided to go full-on for the app cycle.

• Care
I was one of those applicants who wasn't going to apply this cycle, but changed their mind last minute. I applied in the 2019-2020 cycle and was waitlisted, so I planned to take 2 years to teach and focus on some outside work/hobbies. But online opportunities were limited (as @DearFutureDoctor mentioned) and I live with high-risk parents, so spending time polishing my app + reapplying made a lot of sense at the time. General uncertainty about the future helped make the decision lol.

FAP extension was also a factor and so was the shortened MCAT. My low mcat score was my biggest pitfall so I decided to study bit by bit with the extra time I had at home, and then I committed to a retake. My score improved drastically so I decided to go full-on for the app cycle.
Thank you for that info. How is your cycle going so far. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for that info. How is your cycle going so far. Good luck.
Hey! I'm glad I applied this cycle. 2 IIs, 4 Rs, and 4 holds so far, but since I submitted late I'm still waiting on most schools. Last cycle was really draining, waiting until July to find out I didn't get off the waitlist. Good luck to you too (and everyone else reading this)! And congrats on your acceptances @r2med 😸<3

Hey! I'm glad I applied this cycle. 2 IIs, 4 Rs, and 4 holds so far, but since I submitted late I'm still waiting on most schools. Last cycle was really draining, waiting until July to find out I didn't get off the waitlist. Good luck to you too (and everyone else reading this)! And congrats on your acceptances @r2med 😸<3
Thank you for responding, this great information. Did you also request feedback from programs last year to help you target areas of your application that you could enhance?

Thank you for responding, this great information. Did you also request feedback from programs last year to help you target areas of your application that you could enhance?
Yes! A few schools responded, including UCF. The main reason was my MCAT score (specifically B/B). UCF told me my below-average mcat and timing of my application contributed. I mentioned specifically addressing these as a reapplicant in my secondary!

Yes! A few schools responded, including UCF. The main reason was my MCAT score (specifically B/B). UCF told me my below-average mcat and timing of my application contributed. I mentioned specifically addressing these as a reapplicant in my secondary!

what was your MCAT score and when did you submit your secondary last year if you don’t mind my asking :)

what was your MCAT score and when did you submit your secondary last year if you don’t mind my asking :)
I was complete mid-december with a score below 505. In hindsight it was dumb lol, but a school i submitted in january (similar mcat avg to UCF) offered an II, so it feels school-dependent on how timing impacts your application.

anyone have any insight if it's too late to submit an update letter if i'm going to be reviewed at the 1/12 committee meeting?

Members don't see this ad :)
@REL I hope that you had a happy holidays! When do you think will be the last time the committee reviews for the last interviews to be sent out? I am taking the MCAT this month and am hoping that my score (hopefully better) will make it in time?

@REL Hi REL, I just wanted to confirm that for accepted students, there is no deposit fee to reserve your seat in the class?

@REL Hi REL, I just wanted to confirm that for accepted students, there is no deposit fee to reserve your seat in the class?
Yep no deposit. I have always believed that a dollar in your own pocket is probably spent more wisely that a dollar in the government/organization' pocket.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
ii just now! IS, 4.0/511. dates out until 1/15

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got accepted today!!!! Submitted middle of October and interviewed 11/19. 514/4.0

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Does UCF have a scholarship application or are all students automatically considered

Is there a financial aid number you could provide? I need to speak to someone over the phone. @REL

What other options are available?
Two great options are the federal programs that fully pay for your education and provide a monthly stipend while in the med program are the HPSP and NHC. HPSP is miltary related and NHC Service Corps is a nearly identical program that serves areas that are underserved in medicine. Both pay for all/most of your required med school costs and provide you a monthly living stipend of ~$2k per month. After graduation they require 1 year of service per year of support provided but note that NHC requires you go be a primary care physician. In addition to there are also federal programs that will provide some loan forgiveness after graduation once you go into specific specialties. Any med fin aid office should be able to detail these options. You can also seek out support annual support from local businesses, family members, etc that will mount up to reduce your overall debt. Finally you may as well understand most will likely accrue a debt of $200k +/- and you will be in residency for 3-6 years making a lesser wage until you complete residency. Once you begin making a full salary as a physician you will have the means to pay down your debt fairly repidly if you live minimally. With regard to finances if you live like a doctor while you are a med student then you wll live like a med student when you are a doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
@REL, I would like to update the UCF admissions committee on new research and leadership experiences that I believe strongly improve my application. If I am interviewing soon (next week) would it be better for me to send in an update letter or bring up the information during the interview day? Thanks so much in advance.

Thank you for your inquiry. You should submit your update into the UCF Applicant Dashboard as an Attachment so that the committee will have immediate access to that information. It is also a good idea to inform the Admissions Office via email to let them know that an attachment has been loaded for the committee.

Hey guys, AAMC VITA question if anyone knows definitively. With regards to the 1 minute we have to prepare for the 3 minute recording, can we take notes on paper? If so, can we use those notes as talking points/look at them briefly during the 3 minute recording?

Hey guys, AAMC VITA question if anyone knows definitively. With regards to the 1 minute we have to prepare for the 3 minute recording, can we take notes on paper? If so, can we use those notes as talking points/look at them briefly during the 3 minute recording?
You are not allowed to take notes. You can find this information in the VITA webinar on the AAMC website.

@REL Thank you so much for being here and answering our questions!

I got a little bit confused regarding the email with instructions about the virtual visit (for the already interviewed students). If I am able to make it to the upcoming one, do I need to RSVP anyway, or is RSVP only for those who cannot make it this month and want to attend in February?

How much movement is there with the waitlist ? Do letters of intent/updates help ?

@REL Thank you so much for being here and answering our questions!

I got a little bit confused regarding the email with instructions about the virtual visit (for the already interviewed students). If I am able to make it to the upcoming one, do I need to RSVP anyway, or is RSVP only for those who cannot make it this month and want to attend in February?
All should RSVP, we monitor attendance. The Admissions Committee will not release their decision to an applicant who has not attended a Virtual Visit.

Reactions: 3 users
@REL hello! Are there many interview invitations left this cycle? I was wondering around what percentage it is now

Reactions: 2 users
@REL is UCF COM still on track for review of applicants today, 1/12?

What’s the latest interview dates that have been scheduled ? Asking bc I know they stop interviewing feb 28

Been on Aorta/EIS since September. IS/514/3.87. Is this pretty much a silent R?

Been on Aorta/EIS since September. IS/514/3.87. Is this pretty much a silent R?
UCF interviews up until February 28. Unless interviews have been scheduled up until that date (which I don't believe they have been), you have not been rejected.