2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL is it too early to send letters of intent if we are positive UCF is our number one choice? I remember you mentioned earlier to wait until March/April to send those letters but I'm currently in the top 1/2 of the top 1/3 of the not yet accepted list and out of all the schools I've applied to I'm 100% sure UCF is the school for me
Well Mr. Skippy you are welcome to send a Letter of Intent, do it in a Jif, Butternut Delay!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I felt similarly about my VITA experience (probably worse than meh lol) and I'm sure many others didn't feel so hot about it either. At UCF's virtual visit they mentioned that the VITA will not be scored and not factored into the decision, so I hope that's reassuring! They mentioned they used as more of an assessment of the tool itself. I wish other schools didn't factor it in either.

As for the interview, I can't give out specific info but my interviewers were very acquainted with my application (more than any school I interviewed at), which I liked. It was a really pleasant experience, highly conversational, so don't worry too much about it (coming from one nervous applicant to another)! I would suggest deep-diving into UCF's website, watch the links they sent out, and really know yourself as an applicant, your story, etc. Kinda the traditional advice given. Best of luck to you and everyone else interviewing!
This is super helpful, thanks! Quick question I think I didn’t ask clearly, if you feel comfortable answering. Was this interview open or closed file, or partial? Or open to everything but stats and updates or something?
 
Hey guys, does anyone know UCFs post -II acceptance rate for IS/OOS students? Have an upcoming interview and love the school so much, but worried about the odds of an A at this point in the cycle.
 
Hey guys, does anyone know UCFs post -II acceptance rate for IS/OOS students? Have an upcoming interview and love the school so much, but worried about the odds of an A at this point in the cycle.
The date is in "wet cement" right now, but currently ?Monday, April 5, (5-8pm-ish EST?). Whether in-person or not is pending, but I would not bet on in-person too heavily, if at all.
 
@REL do you think there is any reason to believe there will be less waitlist movement this year due to the pandemic? This is a silly question but I was just nervous about the possibility of the upper third not being exhausted this year
 
@REL do you think there is any reason to believe there will be less waitlist movement this year due to the pandemic? This is a silly question but I was just nervous about the possibility of the upper third not being exhausted this year
Not a silly question, thanks for asking it. Also very curious!
 
Is it a bad idea to send a letter just reiterating my interest pre-II invite with no significant updates? I love this school so much and its 100% my top choice so the wait near the end of the interview cycle is killing me
 
Well Mr. Skippy you are welcome to send a Letter of Intent, do it in a Jif, Butternut Delay!
Can we send letters of intent directly after interviewing (if we know UCF is our top choice and will 100% attend if accepted) or should we wait for a decision?
 
Is it a bad idea to send a letter just reiterating my interest pre-II invite with no significant updates? I love this school so much and its 100% my top choice so the wait near the end of the interview cycle is killing me
Never bad to tell a program that you are very interested, or maybe would even matriculate if offered.
 
Can we send letters of intent directly after interviewing (if we know UCF is our top choice and will 100% attend if accepted) or should we wait for a decision?
Yes, you can sent a Letter of Intent (to enroll) whenever it pleases you. The committee will continue to accept letters of continued interest as well.
 
Is it a bad idea to send a letter just reiterating my interest pre-II invite with no significant updates? I love this school so much and its 100% my top choice so the wait near the end of the interview cycle is killing me
Do you know if a pre-II letter of continued interest gets uploaded to the portal or if we should email it to admissions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know if a pre-II letter of continued interest gets uploaded to the portal or if we should email it to admissions?
from what i've seen, upload to portal but maybe send an email to admissions letting them know you uploaded (not necessary to email but helpful)
 
Hi @REL sorry I was just wondering if you had any insight on this?
I almost suspect the opposite and that there could be more movement. Consider that "accepting" an interview is easy now, no travel/time cost. I suspect that applicants might get more offers to interview and take it just because it is there. I have not data, but if any would like to contribute their experiences, especially reapplicants....compare the years.
 
@REL Hello! UCF is my top choice medical school, I know for sure I’d go there if accepted.

Would it be alright to send a letter of intent or would that be inappropriate since I haven’t received an interview?
I recommend sending updates, especially if you would prefer "that" school and "guarantee" matriculation.....ie. Letter of Intent (to matriculate) and not a Letter of Interest. It is getting late, and you have to be interviewed to be accepted.
 
I almost suspect the opposite and that there could be more movement. Consider that "accepting" an interview is easy now, no travel/time cost. I suspect that applicants might get more offers to interview and take it just because it is there. I have not data, but if any would like to contribute their experiences, especially reapplicants....compare the years.
I have had the opportunity to apply to many more schools than normal because I qualified for FAP this year when I would not have in normal years. I also attended all my interview invites in pursuit of the best financial aid package which would not have been financially feasible previously and as a result, am currently holding a number of acceptances that I am deciding between still of which some were schools that I applied to only because of the FAP change.
 
I have had the opportunity to apply to many more schools than normal because I qualified for FAP this year when I would not have in normal years. I also attended all my interview invites in pursuit of the best financial aid package which would not have been financially feasible previously and as a result, am currently holding a number of acceptances that I am deciding between still of which some were schools that I applied to only because of the FAP change.
Yes, FAP is another factor allowing more applications and acceptances. As for med school cost, it can be well worth the extra ~$10k per year if the program had a better match opportunity/outcome. You will make up that $40k in extra expenditure over a fairly short time (after residency of course). The outcome of the program is something that you have to study at least as much as the financial cost.
 
Yes, FAP is another factor allowing more applications and acceptances. As for med school cost, it can be well worth the extra ~$10k per year if the program had a better match opportunity/outcome. You will make up that $40k in extra expenditure over a fairly short time (after residency of course). The outcome of the program is something that you have to study at least as much as the financial cost.
Also @REL is it true that UCF gives great grants and scholarships to OOS students? Not sure if that’s purely anecdotal from previous threads, but that would be a huge motivator bc the OOS tuition as it stands is hefty.
 
So far every member of every class that has matriculated has received some form/amount of scholarship. Each year we weren't sure if it would continue but it has....hopefully through your class as well. I am pretty sure that non-FL will continue to receive some scholarship. Please understand that we have a scholarship committee that makes these decisions.
 
Hi @REL, I’ve uploaded two updates letters so far and have expressed great interest in UCF. Is there anything you would recommend to increase the changes of getting an interview, or do you think it’s a little late now? I have a feeling that my app was already looked at already, so I don’t know if I should keep my hopes up. My mentor currently was an alumni and has only raved about her great experience. I know it’s an extremely competitive cycle, and I want to thank you for all your time answering our questions during these trying times. Good luck everyone!! And congrats to all those how’ve been granted the A!!
 
Hi @REL, I’ve uploaded two updates letters so far and have expressed great interest in UCF. Is there anything you would recommend to increase the changes of getting an interview, or do you think it’s a little late now? I have a feeling that my app was already looked at already, so I don’t know if I should keep my hopes up. My mentor currently was an alumni and has only raved about her great experience. I know it’s an extremely competitive cycle, and I want to thank you for all your time answering our questions during these trying times. Good luck everyone!! And congrats to all those how’ve been granted the A!!
We are still selecting for interview groups so there is still some time, but it is fleeting.
 
Hi @REL are calls going out all day or is there a certain time range? I work so just trying to see if I can plan a strategic break😂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Placed in the top half of the middle third yesterday on the waitlist. I was told someone in this position is usually offered an acceptance towards late April or May but that of course is never guaranteed. Here’s to hoping for a lot of waitlist movement! Good luck everyone!
 
So far every member of every class that has matriculated has received some form/amount of scholarship. Each year we weren't sure if it would continue but it has....hopefully through your class as well. I am pretty sure that non-FL will continue to receive some scholarship. Please understand that we have a scholarship committee that makes these decisions.
I love this school so much and honestly with even a decent OOS financial scholarship/grant package, I’d commit to this place for sure. So that’s what I’m hoping for.
 
Hi all! Interviewed here this morning and it was an incredible experience. My interviewers were two faculty members, and they were kind, helpful, and incredibly understanding. I won't discuss specifics (questions, names, etc), but feel free to message me if you're confused or have questions about the process!

Submitted 10/19, II 1/21, IA 2/5.
ORM, IS, 3.7/512, was on EFI for a HOT minute, so stay patient!
 
Did UCF say anything about when to have the VITA complete by?
Only thing it said in regards to VITA was that it does not have to be done before the interviews. Ive already done the VITA for other schools so I didn't investigate for a concrete deadline, but I'm assuming the earlier the better so that adcom can completely review your app and make a decision.
 
ahhh I'm really hoping for a lot of waitlist movement this year! I'm on top half of middle third according to last update and this is my top school but I'm not sure how much of the middle third gets accepted every year
 
? I think you meant late Jan, also mine only took two-three weeks and you have to attend a virtual visit before decision will be released.
 
? I think you meant late Jan, also mine only took two-three weeks and you have to attend a virtual visit before decision will be released.
My bad I meant late jan! Oh I wasnt unable to attend the virtual visit because my interview was during that virtual visit time. I guess I will have to wait for the next virtual visit?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I believe that is how it works. I would call to be sure though since you can't receive a decision until you have attended the virtual visit. GL!
 
Hi Friends,

I know this year is wildly different and Rel (who really is the bomb.com!) answers all the questions mostly, but I'm an M1 here and rooting for you all. I may not be able to give you much info on the area/school because of COVID, but if you have any questions I'm more than happy to give it a go.

Best of luck to you all, I can't imagine being in your shoes during these times. It's inspiring to see so many students so passionate about UCF COM - this school truly is one in a million because they care about their students and they "look to the future and keep moving forward." The culture of medicine can be - for lack of a better term - sterile or clinical and extremely competitive. What patients need now more than ever, however, are docs who are taking care of themselves, reflective, cooperative, resilient team-players who put humanity and togetherness before tradition and bureaucracy for the health of their patients. I'm proud to be team UCF COM and looking forward to meeting you all. Good luck!
 
My bad I meant late jan! Oh I wasnt unable to attend the virtual visit because my interview was during that virtual visit time. I guess I will have to wait for the next virtual visit?

I think it mentions in the interview invitation email that if you are not able to attend your scheduled virtual visit because your interview is on the same day, that you can attend the next scheduled one. However, it says you need to RSVP in order to do so.
 
I think it mentions in the interview invitation email that if you are not able to attend your scheduled virtual visit because your interview is on the same day, that you can attend the next scheduled one. However, it says you need to RSVP in order to do so.
Oh goodness I did not RSVP to that. I thought it meant that only if you are attending the Virtual Visit you need to RSVP to it omg. I will email them right now. Is it too late at this point to be considered for admission or this may harm my app? 🙁