2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

@REL Is there a reason why the email said January5th as opposed to what you said December 15th?
I just checked the system, all those that will be reviewed at the December 12 admissions committee meeting had already been send their committee date email. The next meeting will be January 5 and those members had not received their interview date yet....until now.
 
I just checked the system, all those that will be reviewed at the December 12 admissions committee meeting had already been send their committee date email. The next meeting will be January 5 and those members had not received their interview date yet....until now.
Im a little confused.. by interview date do you mean committee review date? @REL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL so the next committee meeting is January 5th? So those who interviewed this past week and next week will likely not receive news until January?
 
@REL so the next committee meeting is January 5th? So those who interviewed this past week and next week will likely not receive news until January?
The next meeting is December 15 and then Jan 5. The university will be closed Dec 24-Jan 1. Reading above you will find that it is taking about 4-5 weeks to receive a committee decision without any holiday interruptions.
 
The next meeting is December 15 and then Jan 5. The university will be closed Dec 24-Jan 1. Reading above you will find that it is taking about 4-5 weeks to receive a committee decision without any holiday interruptions.
@REL 4 weeks from my interview date is this week so why am I not getting a decision this week? Im going to be waiting almost 2 months for a decision if the januaray 5th date sticks.
 
@REL 4 weeks from my interview date is this week so why am I not getting a decision this week? Im going to be waiting almost 2 months for a decision if the januaray 5th date sticks.
I don't know how they breakdown who to review when, guess your file missed the Dec 15th review date. I know it's hard to wait. But no choice. Good luck to you.

We should thank UCF for being transparent with their dates and actions. Other schools just remain silent.
 
The next meeting is December 15 and then Jan 5. The university will be closed Dec 24-Jan 1. Reading above you will find that it is taking about 4-5 weeks to receive a committee decision without any holiday interruptions.
Thank you for your prompt response, it is much appreciated in these otherwise uncertain times!!
 
I have one more question, if anyone knows the answer. When is the VITA due for UCF? I saw in the email we didn’t need it done prior to our interview, and I just got the email last week for the invite so should I just do it ASAP?
 
I have one more question, if anyone knows the answer. When is the VITA due for UCF? I saw in the email we didn’t need it done prior to our interview, and I just got the email last week for the invite so should I just do it ASAP?
Yeah the email just says you don't have to get it completed before the actual interview, but I would get it completed asap
 
@REL , Not sure if you know/can provide the answer to this, but are there still OOS Interviews being given... or have they run out of interviews?
We have completed ~65% of interview invitations, we constantly intermingle FL and non-FL residents for every interview group.
 
If 35% of available for Interview, how many candidate are EFI now? I am EFI and still crossing my fingers for an II.
I think he means 65% are completed as if not every person who has received an II so far has been interviewed. So unfortunately there may be like what 20-30% left. Hopefully more, still on EFI myself
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewing soon, any words of advice from someone who's interviewed so far? 🙂
It was a lot more conversational than I was expecting which made it much more comfortable to experience. I personally found myself speeding through my answers and not giving as detailed of answers as I meant to (I didn’t have much time to practice but I think it still went fairly well!). Just be yourself and you’ll be okay for the interview!
 
Are those that submitted early unlikely to get an interview invite at this point? I feel like ADCOMs have had plenty of time to consider earlier applications and having not received an II by now I see it as unlikely to happen as it gets later in the cycle. Or am I misunderstanding something?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sigh still no II. and they stop interviewing in Feb. I saw the campus and its is gorgeous. I took longer than 2 weeks on my secondary bc I didn't want to submit blindly w/o an mcat and worried that this why I haven't heard back
 
sigh still no II. and they stop interviewing in Feb. I saw the campus and its is gorgeous. I took longer than 2 weeks on my secondary bc I didn't want to submit blindly w/o an mcat and worried that this why I haven't heard back
also still no II and this is my top choice/dream school 🙁 sad but hoping for the best for us both
 
Last edited:
sigh still no II. and they stop interviewing in Feb. I saw the campus and its is gorgeous. I took longer than 2 weeks on my secondary bc I didn't want to submit blindly w/o an mcat and worried that this why I haven't heard back
Hang in there! I sat on my secondary for almost 2 months before I submitted it.... I was waiting for my second MCAT score and was overwhelmed with work because I didn’t pre-write anything 😬 but also, they did mention they had a bit more applicants this year so it might just take some time.
 
Nationally applications for MD programs has increased by 18%, UCF has a 27% increase. Why the increase? There are some reports that it is related to an increased desire to participate in the health professions. I am not so sure that this is true for MD programs because those applying to medical school do not do so on a whim. You know that there is specific coursework that you must take to successfully prepare for medical school and the MCAT thereby discrediting that theory as a major factory (in my mind - maybe I am wrong?). Why do you suppose that there are more applicants to medical programs this year?
 
Nationally applications for MD programs has increased by 18%, UCF has a 27% increase. Why the increase? There are some reports that it is related to an increased desire to participate in the health professions. I am not so sure that this is true for MD programs because those applying to medical school do not do so on a whim. You know that there is specific coursework that you must take to successfully prepare for medical school and the MCAT thereby discrediting that theory as a major factory (in my mind - maybe I am wrong?). Why do you suppose that there are more applicants to medical programs this year?
There have been several intense discussions on SDN about this. In terms of more applicants: Some attributed factors include early returning peace Corp, people deciding to apply early instead of taking gap year (unable to find meaningful gap year activity due to covid), etc. In terms of more applications per applicant - biggest seems to be no cost or time for interviews. Also may be FAP expansion
 
Nationally applications for MD programs has increased by 18%, UCF has a 27% increase. Why the increase? There are some reports that it is related to an increased desire to participate in the health professions. I am not so sure that this is true for MD programs because those applying to medical school do not do so on a whim. You know that there is specific coursework that you must take to successfully prepare for medical school and the MCAT thereby discrediting that theory as a major factory (in my mind - maybe I am wrong?). Why do you suppose that there are more applicants to medical programs this year?
We were hoping you'd be able to tell us! 😎

As noted above, SDN speculation has centered on future applications being pushed forward due to limited gap year opportunities, but I'm not so sure that is true, since opportunities will probably be opening up by the time school starts next year. I always thought people were in fact rushing in half baked applications due to the economic downturn and medicine being seen as a stable, well paying profession.

So, seriously, do you have any insight into what the applications look like that you can share? They are up 27% -- are they (the 27%) at least as good as in prior years and the rest of the pool? Is it obvious which ones were slapped together at the last minute? Prereqs and MCATs aren't that tough to obtain, assuming one had a decent foundation before deciding to apply, even if at the last minute last spring.

My question, which no one has yet been able to definitively answer, is whether an application from someone who either decided last minute last March, or who was always planning on applying but pushed it up at the last minute, would be competitive with one from someone planning for years to apply this cycle? What do you think based on what you've seen?
 
Nationally applications for MD programs has increased by 18%, UCF has a 27% increase. Why the increase? There are some reports that it is related to an increased desire to participate in the health professions. I am not so sure that this is true for MD programs because those applying to medical school do not do so on a whim. You know that there is specific coursework that you must take to successfully prepare for medical school and the MCAT thereby discrediting that theory as a major factory (in my mind - maybe I am wrong?). Why do you suppose that there are more applicants to medical programs this year?
Also to clarify is that the national stat of 18% is apparently the number of applicants, which usually averages around 53k, this year up by 18%. In addition, number of applications per applicant is also likely to be up. Unless @REL has info that it is indeed the total number of applications that is up by 18%, I which case it is very possible due to reduced cost and efforts for interviews and the expansion of FAP.
 
Nationally applications for MD programs has increased by 18%, UCF has a 27% increase. Why the increase? There are some reports that it is related to an increased desire to participate in the health professions. I am not so sure that this is true for MD programs because those applying to medical school do not do so on a whim. You know that there is specific coursework that you must take to successfully prepare for medical school and the MCAT thereby discrediting that theory as a major factory (in my mind - maybe I am wrong?). Why do you suppose that there are more applicants to medical programs this year?
I think that is very easy deduce. This time around since the interview is virtual the overall cost is less. So all applicants are increasing their probability. We all know this concept of holistic is a lottery(bs). So there are folks who have got 8 or 9 acceptances and when April comes there is going to be a lot of dropouts. I read the articles on the surge was because of COVID. Those articles just show the lack of effort on the part of the person writing the fake news. I agree with you as we all know we don’t wake up one day in April or May see all the suffering around and decide to write the MCAT and complete the course work to become Dr’s.
 
Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 6.34.55 AM.png

allegedly verified apps have gone down
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
By aamc's own data (reposted on ethical med students)
You are misinterpreting the data they are presenting. They show apps submitted are up 17%, but verified apps are down. This can only be explained by a delay in verification, since the data from last year clearly shows the vast majority of apps submitted are ultimately verified. The following quote is directly from the linked article, which appears on AAMC's website and was posted on October 22nd:

Final tallies won’t arrive for another month or so — all schools’ application windows must close first — but early numbers are striking. So far, there are more than 7,500 additional applicants nationwide, according to data from the American Medical College Application Service® (AMCAS®), which processes submissions for most U.S. medical schools. That’s an increase of nearly 17%.


Apps are up, way up, everywhere, as confirmed by every adcom who has posted here since late summer. The table you posted confirms this, showing apps submitted are up 17% over last year.
 
Nationally applications for MD programs has increased by 18%, UCF has a 27% increase. Why the increase? There are some reports that it is related to an increased desire to participate in the health professions. I am not so sure that this is true for MD programs because those applying to medical school do not do so on a whim. You know that there is specific coursework that you must take to successfully prepare for medical school and the MCAT thereby discrediting that theory as a major factory (in my mind - maybe I am wrong?). Why do you suppose that there are more applicants to medical programs this year?

I think that it is due to students who were going to have gap years decided to apply this year due to the pandemic limiting activities.
Also students who didn’t think they’d have time to study enough for the MCAT had more time than expected due to situations like being laid off.
 
I think that it is due to students who were going to have gap years decided to apply this year due to the pandemic limiting activities.
Also students who didn’t think they’d have time to study enough for the MCAT had more time than expected due to situations like being laid off.
I have considered this aspect as well and feel like it is a major factor. The gap year has been gaining popularity and our data show that med school applications fell about about 10% last year. This year I suspect that those who took the gap year, and those who had planned to take a gap year this year and did not, combined for a majority of the increase. Other factors initiated by the AAMC like the increase in the FAP limit and extension of the MCAT dates, offering more MCAT testing opportunities by (40-50%), reduction in the testing times were, I suspect, also lesser contributing factors. There were projections earlier in the application season that projected a drop in applications. I greatly discount the "F effect" theory that is being espoused, most successful applicants began the journey to this application season 2+ years ago.

I would be interested in hearing from any applicants who did not intend to apply this year, but decided to do so for xx reason.
 
Last edited: