2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been stuck in EFI for a few months now. Anybody have any suggestions for how to be able to boost that to an interview as this is one of my top choices? As well, does anyone know when the last interviews will be sent out as I am considering taking another MCAT to try to bolster mine even more and if so it will come out in the first week of February?
I feel your pain for sure! I think at this point all we can do is upload an update attachment in the portal (if we have something significant to add) and wait. According to the portal and some prior comments it seems the final interviews are slated for late Feb but maybe that'll change with the larger number of applicants, I'm not sure!

Members don't see this ad.

When is the last date interview invites will be sent out this calendar year?

@REL

If we had an interview the week before thanksgiving, when should we be getting an email about the admission committee reviewing our application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any advice on how to draft the update that can be uploaded on the portal?

@REL in future update emails, will we find out whether we're in the top or bottom half of the third we're in? Thank you!

I ended up getting an interview invite, finally after completing my application back in early August. I am pretty excited, especially since they I didn't initally meet the secondary requirement, I am beyond excited at this point. I am just worried, what happens if you miss the call for the commitee decison after the interview? Could an acceptance at some point turn into a rejection if you don't call back quickly enough?

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up getting an interview invite, finally after completing my application back in early August. I am pretty excited, especially since they I didn't initally meet the secondary requirement, I am beyond excited at this point. I am just worried, what happens if you miss the call for the commitee decison after the interview? Could an acceptance at some point turn into a rejection if you don't call back quickly enough?
I am sure they will not rescind for not calling back.

Never. Nobody would do that to you. Depending on the school, they'll always either try again, send an e-mail, update your portal, or leave you a message. Don't worry about that. Just focus on killing the interview. Med school admissions are not a raffle (although sometimes it certainly seems like they are! :cool:) where you have to be present to win, and if you don't respond when your number is called, they just move on to the next lucky contestant! Good luck!!! :)

I received an email for an II yesterday (super excited), but did not receive an accompanying phone call. did others have the same thing happen? also would love to hear how the interview experience has been!

I received an email for an II yesterday (super excited), but did not receive an accompanying phone call. did others have the same thing happen? also would love to hear how the interview experience has been!
Please inquire of the admissions office, sometimes that can get missed.....

@REL Are there certain requirements that must be met grade-wise (As, Bs, Cs) after an acceptance or is it just receiving a Bachelor’s degree for Florida schools?
Not sure of the question, but if an applicant is accepted and tanks subsequent coursework the committee can rescind the offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @REL this might have gotten lost in your notifications, but I was still curious about it
In the early going we generally list just the upper, middle, or lower since the list is not as large. As it grows we will get into the upper/lower halves.

When should people that interviewed the week before thanksgiving get the email regarding a decision? @REL

@REL If we interviewed on 11/19, when should we hear back? I saw you mentioned it's typically a 17-18 day wait to get the phone call and today would be around that time frame. Thanks in advance! :)

did they extend their secondary deadline? when i submitted the original email had a different date listed than on their website - dec 16 ? and if so, why

Hello, Thanks for your help @REL ... will any interviews invites be extended this month ? Or is the school already set to resume in January?

If we ended up on the lower third of the waitlist, is it possible for us to move up the waitlist by sending update letters? If so, should we upload them into the applicant portal or email them? @REL

@REL I saw someone mention that the interviews are usually 30 minutes each. Is that correct or will they take the full hour, or does it really vary case by case?

@REL I saw someone mention that the interviews are usually 30 minutes each. Is that correct or will they take the full hour, or does it really vary case by case?
its 30 min but some can go over but its an hour max. the zoom link is set for an hour in case it goes over

Reactions: 1 user
@REL If we interviewed on 11/19, when should we hear back? I saw you mentioned it's typically a 17-18 day wait to get the phone call and today would be around that time frame. Thanks in advance! :)
In past years the time from interview day to admission committee decision was a controlled 18 days, in the new format it is taking approximately 3, maybe 4 weeks. You should receive an email with that information in it. Let me see where we are on that.

If we ended up on the lower third of the waitlist, is it possible for us to move up the waitlist by sending update letters? If so, should we upload them into the applicant portal or email them? @REL
Update letters will not help once you are on the WL. IN March/April/May a bonafide Letter of Intent (to enroll) not a letter of interest, would help only if we were in your general vicinity of the list.

In past years the time from interview day to admission committee decision was a controlled 18 days, in the new format it is taking approximately 3, maybe 4 weeks. You should receive an email with that information in it. Let me see where we are on that.
Thank you! I am going on 3 weeks now so I am super curious! I love UCF! @REL

@REL Hi REL, how often does the Admissions Committee meet to pull applicants off the waitlist? i.e. Could I hear back any week? Or is it more of a month to month update? Thank you for being on SDN!!!

If we interviewed beginning of December, is it still a 3-4 week wait or longer because of the holidays? Thank you for all your help @REL !

Update letters will not help once you are on the WL. IN March/April/May a bonafide Letter of Intent (to enroll) not a letter of interest, would help only if we were in your general vicinity of the list.
Thank you for your response! However, I am a bit confused. What do you mean by my general vicinity of the list?

This School is a State school but I am seeing that they are taking in more OOS students than instate. Is this something to do with budgets and OOS fees that can be charged. Is there any instate students with acceptance on this board.

This School is a State school but I am seeing that they are taking in more OOS students than instate. Is this something to do with budgets and OOS fees that can be charged. Is there any instate students with acceptance on this board.
Where did you get your data? Based on the USNWR data, IS and OOS have roughly the same number of applicants. The number of IS II and A are 2:1 to OOS.

Total BS. The IS/OOS matriculation stats for last year were 81/39. You can't draw conclusions from SDN posts in December, and then post them as fact to the unaware!!!!!
Thank you for the stats @KnightDoc, but wonder if there is a need to be rude to show your better knowledge?

Reactions: 1 users
The IS/OOS matriculation stats for last year were 81/39. You can't draw conclusions from SDN posts in December, and then post them as fact to the unaware!!!!!
if you write essays the same way you write sdn posts im sure ull do fantastic applying to med schools

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Point well taken. I will remove the post.
Thanks. You could have just edited. The stats and info you posted important. 81 IS to 39 OOS. So, OOS is not greater than IS

if you write essays the same way you write sdn posts im sure ull do fantastic applying to med schools
Actually makes us wonder where s/he finds the time.

Thanks. You could have just edited. The stats and info you posted important. 81 IS to 39 OOS. So, OOS is not greater than IS
I know, but it came off a lot worse than I meant it to, and @Rheopecty said basically the same thing, so my post really wasn't necessary. I just reacted to what I thought was a gratuitous attempt to spread falsehoods about FL public schools backing away from their commitment to IS students due to finances, which they really don't have the freedom to do on account of all the subsidies they receive from the state.

P.S. -- those subsidies are why there is actually no financial incentive to take OOS over IS. I am pretty sure the money is the same to the school either way.

Actually makes us wonder where s/he finds the time.
COVID. :cool: Few in person classes + no in person activities = lots of time!!!

Not sure about you, but you seem to have a pretty healthy number of posts yourself since you received your first wave of As! :cool:

Last edited:
  • Okay...
I know, but it came off a lot worse than I meant it to, and @Rheopecty said basically the same thing, so my post really wasn't necessary. I just reacted to what I thought was a gratuitous attempt to spread falsehoods about FL public schools backing away from their commitment to IS students due to finances, which they really don't have the freedom to do on account of all the subsidies they receive from the state.

P.S. -- those subsidies are why there is actually no financial incentive to take OOS over IS. I am pretty sure the money is the same to the school either way.
If you noticed, the Q was posted by a first time poster - same Q on this and South FL. May have seen a trend in just a few messages that s/he read. Thanks for the clarification

If you noticed, the Q was posted by a first time poster - same Q on this and South FL. May have seen a trend in just a few messages that s/he read. Thanks for the clarification
Yeah, I didn't see that. Like I said, I definitely overreacted, and that's why I pulled it. He didn't deserve it, and I am fully aware that everyone is on edge. I just didn't want IS folks like you getting the wrong idea!!!

Yeah, I didn't see that. Like I said, I definitely overreacted, and that's why I pulled it. He didn't deserve it, and I am fully aware that everyone is on edge. I just didn't want IS folks like you getting the wrong idea!!!
Now that everyone has said their peace thought I would reply. My thoughts that I posted were based on what I am reading on this message board and not on previous years MSAR or USNWR reports. I have done nothing wrong in expressing my opinion. It is my right to look at these numbers when they are published later.
Patience is a virtue. Let bygones be bygones, hope everyone gets an acceptance soon.

My thoughts that I posted were based on what I am reading on this message board and not on previous years MSAR or USNWR reports. I have done nothing wrong in expressing my opinion.
So you formed and expressed a factually-incorrect "opinion" based on incomplete, biased data instead of verifiable, published data. And here I thought medicine was evidence-based. I guess I should have went into politics instead :p

• Love
So you formed and expressed a factually-incorrect "opinion" based on incomplete, biased data instead of verifiable, published data. And here I thought medicine was evidence-based. I guess I should have went into politics instead :p
Well messages on SDN are also kinda evidence (partial / biased not withstanding). It's like using Uptodate versus Google as evidence for medical treatment :p

Going to politics is your prerogative. No one is stopping you. Now I have to be scared of the “fact checker almighty “ to share an opinion?. The evidence in this situation is what is available in the present. I am not analyzing last years data which is past. It is just my opinion and I stand by what I posted.

Going to politics is your prerogative. No one is stopping you. Now I have to be scared of the “fact checker almighty “ to share an opinion?. The evidence in this situation is what is available in the present. I am not analyzing last years data which is past. It is just my opinion and I stand by what I posted.
Hey - I am trying to defend by keeping everyone from becoming rude, but you are not playing sport. You seem to be new to SDN. Please understand that SDN is a very small subset of all applicants, so the results here are no where near accurate. It would be like FDA approving or disapproving a drug, based just on a handful of biased test participants. Others are just warning you about this. Anyways, let us leave this topic because we are hijacking from the main topic of this thread. Thank you all.

• Okay...
@REL Were you able to find out when interviews from the week before thanksgiving will get a decision? Will it be before the winter break?

Just thought I'd drop in after reading all this and say, I understand that tensions are high and that stress is high. This is my third application cycle and I wouldn't wish one med admissions cycle on my worst enemy. Just a terrible combination of uncertainty, sometimes competitiveness, and stress. Thinking about this time next year when we'll be stressed for a different reason taking med school finals (!!) and hopefully hitting our strides in med school!

Reactions: 3 users
@REL Were you able to find out when interviews from the week before thanksgiving will get a decision? Will it be before the winter break?
So, many that were interviewed in that timeframe will be reviewed by the admissions committee on 12/15. That means we will be contacting those members on 12/16-17. Normally an email goes out to reveal these dates. Let me check on this, maybe they were overlooked. If so I will ensure that they are sent by Monday.