2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone interviewed? Is it 2, 1 hour long interviews or are they not actually a whole hour? I read somewhere they are actually two 30 minute ones
They are designed to be two roughly 30 minute interviews, but they are scheduled to begin at the top of each hour.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For others like me who need a bit of reassurance pre-interview... the UCF interview is incredible. Epitome of conversational, zero curveballs, the interviewers were all smiling and cracking jokes. Prep a bit so you don't stumble over basic questions about what makes you, you but don't stress out!
 
@REL - for today's interview, is it likely to get the decision on 10/15? If not, when can we expect the decision?
 
Does this school give rejections? I have completed all the in-state interviews that I was interested in and the only school that would affect my decision is this one. They're so competitive though, but I thought I had a chance because they gave me a secondary even though I was below a 3.0 sGPA. I am a former knight so that may work against me a bit, because we all want to go here.
 
Does this school give rejections? I have completed all the in-state interviews that I was interested in and the only school that would affect my decision is this one. They're so competitive though, but I thought I had a chance because they gave me a secondary even though I was below a 3.0 sGPA. I am a former knight so that may work against me a bit, because we all want to go here.
According to the portal, rejections are only done at end of the cycle. I don't know if they follow that practice.
 
For the first question, I have zero connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida. According to MSAR, they prefer a connection to the state. Do you think it's fine to just say that I have no connection?
 
According to the portal, rejections are only done at end of the cycle. I don't know if they follow that practice.
Yeah, I read that, just wish I had a better handle on what my odds are... I saw a chart that said interview spots are super low around this time for some schools and I think UCF has been interviewing since August/September
 
According to the portal, rejections are only done at end of the cycle. I don't know if they follow that practice.
Applications that do not meet minimum requirements are rejected during the application cycle. Rejections of those that complete an application and are not selected for an interview will be rejected once we get information from the admissions committee - normally mid-February. Those on the wait list will receive rejections during the last weeks leading up to the end of July matriculation date.
 
@REL - for today's interview, is it likely to get the decision on 10/15? If not, when can we expect the decision?
Those who interviewd and already attended our first Virtual Visit will receive committee decisions on 10/15 or soon thereafter. Those who attend the 10/16 Virtual Visit will receive committee decisions most likely on 10/17 or later.

Remember that we call everyone to discuss the committee decision whether accepted or waitlisted. That means that we will be making a lot of calls in the 10/15+ timeframe.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
has anyone not gotten the AORTA - EFI status? it seems like basically everyone gets it so i am hesitant to think that 30-40% of EFI applicants get II, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.
an adcom himself mentioned that percentage, remember there's a huge bias in the posts you see from applicants here
 
From today's session it sounds like we should not expect 10/17 decisions for 10/8 or 10/9 interviews
 
Correct, even in prior years there was always an 17-18 day wait from interview to decision.

Thanks REL! You were very helpful and informative in today's session and I think it only further piqued my interest in UCF!
 
has anyone not gotten the AORTA - EFI status? it seems like basically everyone gets it so i am hesitant to think that 30-40% of EFI applicants get II, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.
As of this minute 1,916 of 5,445 applicants have achieved EFI status.
 
@REL I received the phone call to schedule an interview but haven't received thev follow up email yet. Should I schedule the interview now or wait until I receive the email?
 
I realized that I didn't do so well on my secondary essays and want to correct a couple. Do you think it is worth it to email them and see if I can resubmit them improved even if it costs another secondary app fee? Also does anyone know of any way to improve on my chances if I've been Eligible for Interview for about two months now?

honestly I don't think resubmitting you look good on your part...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL I am currently at the EFI stage and believe I previously submit 4 or 5 letters of recommendation. I work very closely with two UCF COM graduates and was wondering if it would potentially be beneficial to add letters from one or both of them?
 
I realized that I didn't do so well on my secondary essays and want to correct a couple. Do you think it is worth it to email them and see if I can resubmit them improved even if it costs another secondary app fee? Also does anyone know of any way to improve on my chances if I've been Eligible for Interview for about two months now?
Ya don't send that email to resubmit lol.
 
Does anyone know if they interviewers are part of the admissions committee or students?
I am not entirely sure of this, but from what I have gathered from our faculty and staff, we have a lot of interviewers that are not necessarily on the admissions committee. You can get professors, doctors, librarians, etc. As a 2nd year student who helps with the pre-interview information sessions often, I have no say in regards to your application. However, I did have a 4th year student interview me when I interviewed so it is possible.
 
@REL I just wanted to confirm something you had posted earlier, if we do upload an update letter to the portal should we also reach out to the admissions email letting them know?
 
If it helps, I had an interview with a physician and another with a medical student.
Members of the Admissions Committee may interview but only a few actually do. Interviewers are members of the faculty and also our volunteer faculty ranks who are physicians in the many networks from Orlando and the surrounding cliinical hospitals and clinics. They can also be M4 students.
 
@REL Are interview invites still being sent out? If so, when is the last date we should expect to hear if we got an interview before the winter break? Thank you!
 
@REL Are interview invites still being sent out? If so, when is the last date we should expect to hear if we got an interview before the winter break? Thank you!
Yes, we continue to invite applicants to interview on a weekly basis, we are nearing the completion of interview invites for December. There will be more in January and February.
 
If you have been in the EFI pool for a couple of months and havent been invited for an interview yet, you might consider updating the committee on things that you may have been doing (volunteering, academics, maybe research progress, etc.). We have passed our previous high for applications for a cycle and we have a few more days to go. So much for those who warned that it would be a down year for applications....I guess there is fake news in this business too.
 
If you have been in the EFI pool for a couple of months and havent been invited for an interview yet, you might consider updating the committee on things that you may have been doing (volunteering, academics, maybe research progress, etc.). We have passed our previous high for applications for a cycle and we have a few more days to go. So much for those who warned that it would be a down year for applications....I guess there is fake news in this business too.
Percentage-wise, how many interview invites do you believe remain to be given out? I was marked EFI in early September and I'm starting to worry a bit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does this school yield protect?
I'm not an adcom, so please bear that in mind, but the way it was described to me by those who know, ALL schools yield protect. Internally, they refer to it as resource management.

The rationale is not to punish anyone whose application is deemed to be too strong for the school. Rather, it's a concession to the reality that there are only so many interview slots, and it's a waste of limited resources to allocate them to applicants empirically unlikely to attend, based on reams of prior cycle data.

Hopefully @REL will provide a more informative, specific response with respect to UCF, but that's my understanding.
 
I'm not an adcom, so please bear that in mind, but the way it was described to me by those who know, ALL schools yield protect. Internally, they refer to it as resource management.

The rationale is not to punish anyone whose application is deemed to be too strong for the school. Rather, it's a concession to the reality that there are only so many interview slots, and it's a waste of limited resources to allocate them to applicants empirically unlikely to attend, based on reams of prior cycle data.

Hopefully @REL will provide a more informative, specific response with respect to UCF, but that's my understanding.

So this is the first time I have heard the terms Yield Protect, and based on your discussion it must mean that does UCF evaluate the application and determine whether the applicant will come before offering an interview based on metric strength? I am not so sure that we do it by intention but I guess we probably do via our AORTA teams. Once a file is complete it goes to AORTA for a team (a mixture of 4-5 MD,PhD, or program knowledgeable folks) review. Each AORTA member independently reviews all facets of an application from metrics and trends, degree, background, motivations for medicine, humanism, teamwork, research (not required but if done should understand process of research), essays, and yes in the secondary, the question to explain your relationship(s) or desire to be here. None of these factors are absoute or "deadly" but it is competitive and too many "dings" mught just be what is needed for another applicant to edge ahead in the interview derby.
 
Last edited: