2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is EFI?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the prelim screens exactly? Just the 3.0 GPA and 500 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the prelim screens exactly? Just the 3.0 GPA and 500 MCAT?
Hopefully @REL will be willing to shed some light on this. It's more than just that -- the minimum is the screen they apply to send a secondary. I'd assume advancing to EFI involves more than that, but maybe it's just getting in the necessary number of LORs, having some minimum level of ECs, etc.? Or maybe it's the same as simply being marked complete elsewhere.

@REL Does getting a medical master’s, certificate or smp greatly enhance an application? Are online programs alright?

Last edited:
@REL Does getting a medical master’s, certificate or smp greatly enhance an application? Are online programs alright?

Getting a MS in a core-science area, or an SMP, is recommended if you have been away from academics for 4-5+ years if you have an older core-science degree baseline in your history. They are also good for the applicant who did not fare well in their BS degree, and can be used to build on an upward trend from that BS degree to enhance academic competitiveness.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes based on volume, we went from 4,700 last cycle to 5,800 this cycle.....
Woah!! Earlier you said things looked the same as last year!! Sudden late influx, or just a delay in processing? If you would be willing to share, in order to maybe shed some light on a debate in another thread, are the additional 1,100 indistinguishable from the 4,700, or is it clear that they are rushed, last minute applications submitted in response to the economic downturn (i.e., same distribution of grades, MCATs, ECs, etc.)?

Getting a MS in a core-science area, or an SMP, is recommended if you have been away from academics for 4-5+ years if you have an older core-science degree baseline in your history. They are also good for the applicant who did not fare well in their BS degree, and can be used to build on an upward trend from that BS degree to enhance academic competitiveness.

Thank you for the response! If a student does not have a bad gpa and graduated recently is it not recommended? I have these things but am still worried about my application and wondering if it might help.

Thank you for the response! If a student does not have a bad gpa and graduated recently is it not recommended? I have these things but am still worried about my application and wondering if it might help.
So it is ok to build on your academics as well if you feel that they need enhancement. What is also important is a consistency of displayed medical motivation (volunteering & shadowing) and humanism (volunteering). Metrics will get your application looked at, but what you have consistently done in these other areas will get you the interview.

Woah!! Earlier you said things looked the same as last year!! Sudden late influx, or just a delay in processing? If you would be willing to share, in order to maybe shed some light on a debate in another thread, are the additional 1,100 indistinguishable from the 4,700, or is it clear that they are rushed, last minute applications submitted in response to the economic downturn (i.e., same distribution of grades, MCATs, ECs, etc.)?
The gradual slowdown that normally occurs over the last 6-8 weeks did not happen so it kind of snuck up to this number. I have not looked deeply, but there is a good mix of of credible metrics in the last few weeks.

• Love
does UCF do silent Rs for people who are currently EFI?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the virtual visit, is it like a webinar where we only see the speakers or are our videos on?

@REL if an applicant receives an email saying adcom will meet on mm/dd/yyyy and he/she has not heard till 2 days, should he/she call to find status?

@REL if an applicant receives an email saying adcom will meet on mm/dd/yyyy and he/she has not heard till 2 days, should he/she call to find status?
No, I have made several calls today and will not finish due to meetings. I will resume in the morning and be done by lunchtime tomorrow.....that is my goal.

No, I have made several calls today and will not finish due to meetings. I will resume in the morning and be done by lunchtime tomorrow.....that is my goal.
Thank you. Hope the later calls do not meet WL.

Do all applicants with the specific date get called or only a subset?

I was complete in July and still haven't heard anything. Does that mean it's a silent R at this point @REL ?

• Care
I was complete in July and still haven't heard anything. Does that mean it's a silent R at this point @REL ?
That could depend on your status indicator on your application portal. Many are at EFI, and if this is the case your applications are addressed weekly by the committee as applicants are selected to be invited for an interview. There are many more in the EFI category than there are interview opportunities do many of those in EFI will eventually be rejected once the committee is done selecting in mid-February or so. If you are in a different category send an email to the admissions office to see if something has gone awry. I know that there are some that did not meet minimum requirements who will receive an email of rejection soon, but that should not be a surprise to anyone.

That could depend on your status indicator on your application portal. Many are at EFI, and if this is the case your applications are addressed weekly by the committee as applicants are selected to be invited for an interview. There are many more in the EFI category than there are interview opportunities do many of those in EFI will eventually be rejected once the committee is done selecting in mid-February or so. If you are in a different category send an email to the admissions office to see if something has gone awry. I know that there are some that did not meet minimum requirements who will receive an email of rejection soon, but that should not be a surprise to anyone.
Will the committee look at updates as well if we have submitted them for interview possibility?

What are the chances of getting an II if you are currently EFI ?

What are the chances of getting an II if you are currently EFI ?
I believe someone stated that it was around 40-50% in past years but this year its closer to 25-30% since about 1500 of 6000 or so UCF applicants are EFI as of now and there are about 450 interview slots in total

Does anyone know when we should expect to receive an email with the date that our application will be reviewed? I interviewed about a week ago and have not received anything yet, so just want to see if I should reach out to the school.

Does anyone know when we should expect to receive an email with the date that our application will be reviewed? I interviewed about a week ago and have not received anything yet, so just want to see if I should reach out to the school.
I interviewed 10/9, got the review date email on 10/26.

Do we get a phone call on a specific day around a certain time if we are selected for an Interview @REL ?

Do we get a phone call on a specific day around a certain time if we are selected for an Interview @REL ?
There is not a daily schedule for calls to be invited for an interview but calls should be made weekly in most instances. In the past interview invites concluded around the middle of Feb.

There is not a daily schedule for calls to be invited for an interview but calls should be made weekly in most instances. In the past interview invites concluded around the middle of Feb.
How many interview spots are still left?
About 40% of our interview seats are yet to be offered as of today.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
About 40% of our interview seats are yet to be offered as of today.

REL, I hope you had a fantastic thanksgiving. your regular assistance and dealing with all of us neurotic people has been one of the things I am most thankful for on this website.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
REL, I hope you had a fantastic thanksgiving. your regular assistance and dealing with all of us neurotic people has been one of the things I am most thankful for on this website.
I do this every year. I think that it is important to provide you all with something that can be helpful and give you insights as to this overall process. I also think it important to open up the process so that you can understand it and begin to understand that not all programs have this highest forms of ethics no do they want you to have a choice.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
@REL when should waitlist individuals get an update about their position on the waitlist?

I haven't completed the secondary yet. Is it even worth doing at this point since it's so late in the cycle?

I'm OOS, w/ a 518 MCAT, 3.98 GPA, a lot of research and decent other EC's.

I haven't completed the secondary yet. Is it even worth doing at this point since it's so late in the cycle?

I'm OOS, w/ a 518 MCAT, 3.98 GPA, a lot of research and decent other EC's.
Only if you have a genuine interest in this program.

I have been stuck in EFI for a few months now. Anybody have any suggestions for how to be able to boost that to an interview as this is one of my top choices? As well, does anyone know when the last interviews will be sent out as I am considering taking another MCAT to try to bolster mine even more and if so it will come out in the first week of February?