2020-2021 East Carolina (Brody)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
current M1 here again - I wish I had some insight for you. this is way later than anything took last year (as you probably already know) and I'd assume it's almost entirely because of COVID; virtually the entire school is still working remotely including admin so a lot of things are moving at a snail's pace even for us current students. I'm not connected with admissions in any way or I would try to offer some reassurance, but all I can say is hang in there and I hope that all of you get good news soon.
Thank you! Hope you med school experience improves in the coming months👍🏽

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! Hope you med school experience improves in the coming months👍🏽
I appreciate that - we're pretty much all just waiting to get the green light to go back to in-person classes again. we've practically all been vaccinated (those who haven't are those who haven't wanted to - we were all given the opportunity back in January - and they're few and far between) but they're telling us to prepare for lectures to continue to be virtual in the fall as well. I know they're trying to err on the side of caution and that the plan might change in the coming weeks/months but it's a little frustrating. anyway, for incoming M1s, would highly recommend a good desk chair for your future house/apartment because you're going to be sitting in it a lot

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, does the email say 5 pm Monday April 23 2021. I'm pretty sure it's a typo but just asking.

Reactions: 1 user
I also got the WL email - how much movement do ya'll think there will be?

I had called them earlier this week on Tuesday and they told me that they weren't going to release waitlist decisions until after April 30th since they were waiting on people's decisions (that turned out to be false lol). I also asked about submitting a letter of intent - they told me that if I wanted to I could but the committee wouldn't review any new information in my application.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
WL today as well! Even though it’s not a final decision I’m glad we got some sort of decision!

If last year's number holds true to this year and they offer 145 offers, there will be 38 of us coming off the waitlist. Pretty good if it's like last year or if more people come off the waitlist given its a covid cycle. What do yall think?

They heard our cry! I bet they are fervent SDN followers!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Also got waitlisted today. Sounds like they waitlisted a good amount of people RIP.

• Care
Me too!! This sucks for two years in a row!!! They won’t even give feedback on your application because you got WL. I feel like this is it no more med school for me. 😭😭
WL as well. Did you apply DO? If you’re waitlisted, you’re obviously competitive so stay positive

WL as well. Did you apply DO? If you’re waitlisted, you’re obviously competitive so stay positive
I did last cycle and was accepted but gave up that spot cause am set on MD! Thank you for your encouragement. At this point in time do feel a bit unsure where if I will land! 🤞🏼🤞🏼 All the best to you and rest of us still waiting!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I did last cycle and was accepted but gave up that spot cause am set on MD! Thank you for your encouragement. At this point in time do feel a bit unsure where if I will land! 🤞🏼🤞🏼 All the beat to you and rest of us still waiting!
You turned down a DO acceptance? Good luck lol

I did last cycle and was accepted but gave up that spot cause am set on MD! Thank you for your encouragement. At this point in time do feel a bit unsure where if I will land! 🤞🏼🤞🏼 All the beat to you and rest of us still waiting!
The unknowing does suck and it can be incredibly frustrating. I’m right here with you. And if you’re dead set on MD, then get that MD acceptance! You don’t want to look back at the end of your med school journey and wish you had taken a different path. 🙌🏼

The unknowing does suck and it can be incredibly frustrating. I’m right here with you. And if you’re dead set on MD, then get that MD acceptance! You don’t want to look back at the end of your med school journey and wish you had taken a different path. 🙌🏼
That’s where I was at as crazy as it may sound! It’s draining and this waiting is awful. Hoping for the best and have a back-up plan this time around. Thanks for your support. 🌞🌞

• Care
That’s where I was at as crazy as it may sound! It’s draining and this waiting is awful. Hoping for the best and have a back-up plan this time around. Thanks for your support. 🌞🌞
I don’t think it sounds crazy. And there’s nothing wrong with a back up plan either! You have to do what’s going to make you happy

Me too!! This sucks for two years in a row!!! They won’t even give feedback on your application because you got WL. I feel like this is it no more med school for me. 😭😭
Same here. when i called them last year to see where i could improve, they literally said "no your application is fine we just didnt have enough room for you this year"

• Angry
  • Wow
Same here. when i called them last year to see where i could improve, they literally said "no your application is fine we just didnt have enough room for you this year"
Geez - it is like they should have given you a deferred acceptance (I know there is no such thing.)

Yup said not enough spots for all on waitlist! Which is understandable but what could be done to improve and secure that spot would have been helpful.

I hate that they said this to you. There is obviously something they were looking for that was not present and could have easily told you why you weren't chosen. I hate that for you :/

Sending everyone on the waitlist good vibes! Also, for those of us who are getting ready to reapply, I wish you all the best! It's a long and hard journey, but let's all press on and achieve our goals.

Reactions: 5 users
I hate that they said this to you. There is obviously something they were looking for that was not present and could have easily told you why you weren't chosen. I hate that for you :/
Race could play a role as strange as it sounds.

I do want to make a quick comment on the race component of applying. I think it is imperative that medical schools strive to increase the presence of doctors who are traditionally underrepresented in medicine. Our physician population should match the population of people that they serve. I'm glad to be applying to an institution that values this, and I look forward to studying/learning alongside a diverse med school student body.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I do want to make a quick comment on the race component of applying. I think it is imperative that medical schools strive to increase the presence of doctors who are traditionally underrepresented in medicine. Our physician population should match the population of people that they serve. I'm glad to be applying to an institution that values this, and I look forward to studying/learning alongside a diverse med school student body.
Yasssss!

So just for speculation purposes, since only 107 were accepted, is it safe to say that this year might be like last year given there were 145 hours so the remaining 38 spots could be from WL. I'm thinking there might be more movement given there were online interviews and more people prob applied to more schools so more chance of acceptance.

So just for speculation purposes, since only 107 were accepted, is it safe to say that this year might be like last year given there were 145 hours so the remaining 38 spots could be from WL. I'm thinking there might be more movement given there were online interviews and more people prob applied to more schools so more chance of acceptance.
I hope you are right!👍🏽

They said 107 as of April 15, they could’ve sent out 13 more by the time they sent waitlists. I would guess they wouldn’t just stop offers at 107 while reiterating that it typically takes 120 to fill a class. Just speculation here we really don’t know. Does anyone know when the date is that people have to narrow to 1 school?

They said 107 as of April 15, they could’ve sent out 13 more by the time they sent waitlists. I would guess they wouldn’t just stop offers at 107 while reiterating that it typically takes 120 to fill a class. Just speculation here we really don’t know. Does anyone know when the date is that people have to narrow to 1 school?

April 30th is the deadline to narrow it down to one MD acceptance. According to an AMCAS pdf I saw, there are 75-100 people generally placed on the Brody waitlist and approximately 25 people accepted off the WL.

Source: https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7056/download

Hopeful for movement this week and acceptances for those of us on the WL!

Does anyone know if they receptive to update letters and/or spring semester grades since being placed on WL?