2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The KC “site” seems more like a bunch of different sites all under the umbrella of KC just because they are within ~1 hour or so of the KC metro. There is a lot of variability in quality—from preceptor-based outpatient experiences to wards based with residents and a teaching service.

I’m only a 2nd year, so no direct experience, but I would look closely at what you want out of your clerkships experiences and talk to third and fourth years at the sites you’re interested in before making any decisions. I really don’t get the sense that the honors track provide any added value. But I’m not in one and didn’t apply to one so I would again seek out someone with firsthand knowledge of you think you want to go this route.
This.

The benefit of the honors track is honestly only a connection with the track leader which will be a doc in the specialty. You can really get to know them and get a good LOR from them. Especially for something more niche like ortho, where also getting connected through said faculty member adds value, there is not much purpose to something like the IM track (not a competitive field).

Honors tracks aren't a thing at any MD school that I know of, so literally no one will care. It's essentially meaningless no matter how hard they may try to sell it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This wait is really getting ridiculous

Edit: did anyone's portal date change since they found out they were on the waitlist?
It should have begun by the end of May! It is a long and draining process, but I wish all of you on the WL luck.

Reactions: 1 user
+1, No Portal change or heard anything yet from the school on WL movement. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

It should have begun by the end of May! It is a long and draining process, but I wish all of you on the WL luck.
I saw that in last year's thread, someone got off the waitlist on May 18th lol! So I was really hoping for something today :lol: What time do they typically give out calls?

And no date changes on my portal either!

I saw that in last year's thread, someone got off the waitlist on May 18th lol! So I was really hoping for something today :lol: What time do they typically give out calls?

And no date changes on my portal either!
WL decisions go out until the 1st day of classes so y'all got more than 2 months.

Hi for any of you looking for a med kit, I'm selling mine, but I'm having trouble posting it on the KCU for sale FB page because apparently you can't sell healthcare products on there. I'm moving for rotations next week, so if you're not in KC already, I can leave it for you in storage at CT.

PM me if interested!

Last edited:
For the people that sent in coursework that was previously in progress (now completed since the spring semester is over) does KCU notify you if they received and approved the coursework?

Does KCU accept additional LORs from applicants on the WL to add to our files?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people that sent in coursework that was previously in progress (now completed since the spring semester is over) does KCU notify you if they received and approved the coursework?
I received confirmation that they added it to my file a few days after I emailed it to them

Hi for any of you looking for a med kit, I'm selling mine, but I'm having trouble posting it on the KCU for sale FB page because apparently you can't sell healthcare products on there. I'm moving for rotations next week, so if you're not in KC already, I can leave it for you in storage at CT.

PM me if interested!

You should join the FB group for COM 2025 to sell it. But you should be able to just put med kit and a pic on the KCU for sale group.

Couple questions.. has anyone been waitlisted and then received a rejection?? Also, does anyone have any insight on the delay of movement on the WL compared to last year?

Reactions: 6 users
Any WL movements this year? Lol
I am going to use my small sample size of 2 (me and my friend who interviewed here), but I think decisions usually come out on Monday/Tuesday. So I imagine they meet at the end of the week about who they will accept. Just my thoughts. I am also really bored right now.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone on WL wanting to get in? You owe me at least 25% of my deposit.

On that note I am withdrawing from Joplin campus and was wondering anyway I can get some cashback?

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Where can I get the calendar for the 2021 academic year for OS1?

Also when is the White Coat ceremony for the incoming class of 2025?

Also when is the White Coat ceremony for the incoming class of 2025?
Just letting you guys C/o 2024 hasn't gotten any info on our own white coat ceremony so it may be a while before both of our classes hear about how KCU will go ahead with it, unless one of my fellow M1s know more lol

Just letting you guys C/o 2024 hasn't gotten any info on our own white coat ceremony so it may be a while before both of our classes hear about how KCU will go ahead with it, unless one of my fellow M1s know more lol
This is factual. Our class will have one first before 2025 will have theirs as it wouldn't make sense for ours to be delayed any longer.

Hi! I’m new to this forum but I just wanted to know how everyone on the WL is holding up? I’ve been super anxious since 02/08 😅

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
New to this forum and SDN but anyone else feeling like they’re aging a year a day waiting for waitlist, I feel like I’m dying lol and I’ve been waiting for 6 months now :(

• Sad
Reactions: 12 users
What is the very last day to pay the tuition? I haven't started on the loan process yet and not sure how long it takes.

What is the very last day to pay the tuition? I haven't started on the loan process yet and not sure how long it takes.
Tuition is usually due the weekend before classes start or the weekend after, i forgot.

Does KCU accept additional LORs from applicants on the WL to add to our files?
I emailed them about this because I wasn’t sure if there was anything else I needed to do other than an LOI. They told me I was welcome to send another one so I did!

I emailed them about this because I wasn’t sure if there was anything else I needed to do other than an LOI. They told me I was welcome to send another one so I did!
Oh this is great news, thanks for the info

Hey guys, after sending a letter of intent, does admissions email you back confirming they received it?

Withdrawing my acceptance as I got pulled off the waitlist at a different school. If anyone is still looking for a place to live near campus please PM me. Best of luck to everyone, hope it goes to one of you!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
What exactly is a slack channel?
Slack is a messenger app- like groupme/etc. *there’s a slack for the class (didn’t mean slack channel- but there are different channels on there- basically a channel a thread for each topic)

Reactions: 2 users
Any waitlist movement from KCU yet? I've seen a lot of people withdrawing their acceptances and am wondering if WL has moved at all from it? Any info about WL would be appreciated!

Reactions: 3 users
Any waitlist movement from KCU yet? I've seen a lot of people withdrawing their acceptances and am wondering if WL has moved at all from it? Any info about WL would be appreciated!
Not that I know of! Everyone says that end of May onwards is when we will hear back. From last year's thread, there were a few waitlist decisions that went out on May 26th so here's to hoping for tomorrow!! 🤞