2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys I just got a phone call I got off the waitlist and I got accepted to the Joplin campus!! I’m freaking out. I feel like I have so much to do now I don’t even know where to start.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Any accepted students not have their big sib reach out to them yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im applying to KCUCOM right now and if you dont mind me asking, what were your stats? Also when did you submit your application?
Hey! No not a problem. My stats were actually on the low side, I had a sub-500 MCAT, 3.4scGPA, and 3.7 cumGPA. I submitted last year around Sept, got secondary in Oct, got interview in Feb, WL in March, sent in additional letters of support and made sure to send in updates and got off today!! I also have an MPH, and my job during the app cycle was right in the thick of the COVID-19 pandemic. I got really positive feedback on my interview so I think that may have helped me overcome my lower stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! No not a problem. My stats were actually on the low side, I had a sub-500 MCAT, 3.4scGPA, and 3.7 cumGPA. I submitted last year around Sept, got secondary in Oct, got interview in Feb, WL in March, sent in additional letters of support and made sure to send in updates and got off today!! I also have an MPH, and my job during the app cycle was right in the thick of the COVID-19 pandemic. I got really positive feedback on my interview so I think that may have helped me overcome my lower stats.
interesting, I thought they would send an email?

Hey! I’m curious, when you got feedback on your interview, was it during the interview session or did you email them for feedback? I didn’t get any feedback lol 😭

Hey! I’m curious, when you got feedback on your interview, was it during the interview session or did you email them for feedback? I didn’t get any feedback lol 😭
So for this, I didn't ask for feedback I just had two of my three interviewers compliment me on how I answered their questions once we finished, and the med student who interviewed me told me I gave her the best answer she had ever heard to her question! So it wasn't anything specific they just kind of gave it to me :rofl: Sorry if thats not super helpful!

You guys I just got a phone call I got off the waitlist and I got accepted to the Joplin campus!! I’m freaking out. I feel like I have so much to do now I don’t even know where to start.
First off, congratulations and thank you so much for answering all of our questions! It means more than you know. I just was curious what time they called at? I heard a student from last year received a call in the morning

Hello there!

Would someone be able to help me answer the campus location question (Joplin vs Kansas City) on the primary? I selected that either campus is fine and I need reasons as to why both are good. As a Canadian, I don't know much about Missouri, so any feedback would be appreciated!
joplin is rural/Kansas City is urban

If you truly don’t care about what setting you go into school you can talk about your desire to just attend KCU

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there!

Would someone be able to help me answer the campus location question (Joplin vs Kansas City) on the primary? I selected that either campus is fine and I need reasons as to why both are good. As a Canadian, I don't know much about Missouri, so any feedback would be appreciated!
joplin is rural/Kansas City is urban

If you truly don’t care about what setting you go into school you can talk about your desire to just attend KCU
There is a class size difference if that matters to you as well, but if you don’t care about which location you want to attend you can just say no preference. It’s what I did and I was accepted. I don’t think they’re looking for anything extra about why you want to go to Kcu in that question.

First off, congratulations and thank you so much for answering all of our questions! It means more than you know. I just was curious what time they called at? I heard a student from last year received a call in the morning
Hey! Thanks so much! I got the call around 10am CT!

Hey! Thanks so much! I got the call around 10am CT!
Hi! Congrats on your acceptance!! 🥳 I know we’ve all been bombarding you with a variety of questions, but I was just curious if they called you or emailed you first and if your status changed on Student Workday?

I went through last years thread and apparently C/O 2024’s students got a free item from the campus store. Anyone know if 2025 will get the same? I would really like to not have to buy a backpack.

This isn't normal right? For there to be literally no WL movement into the second week of June??? I think I've only read one person on SDN say they got off the WL for Joplin but apart from that how is there no movement?! I'm going nuts :(
I’m also going nuts so I emailed admissions again last Friday and they said they just started calling off the waitlist. In addition they said “waitlist candidates wil be up for review as needed for spots that open up”. At this point, I’m just hanging in there 😅

I’m also going nuts so I emailed admissions again last Friday and they said they just started calling off the waitlist. In addition they said “waitlist candidates wil be up for review as needed for spots that open up”. At this point, I’m just hanging in there 😅
So…are they implying that there are no spots open…?

So…are they implying that there are no spots open…?
I have no idea what they are implying, but they keep on talking about how they have until the first day of classes to call... which is even more stressful

Yeah this makes it sound like spots aren't exactly open as it stands. I have no idea what I expected lol.
There’s no way that every single spot is filled up after traffic day and the June 1 deposit deadline. They must just be backed up and delayed in moving for whatever reason. I’m suffering lol

Reactions: 5 users
There’s no way that every single spot is filled up after traffic day and the June 1 deposit deadline. They must just be backed up and delayed in moving.
Agreed. They have a super high post-interview acceptance rate, so I highly HIGHLY doubt that WL movement is over for this cycle. Stay calm, y'all. The game isn't over until orientation.

Reactions: 5 users
Agreed. They have a super high post-interview acceptance rate, so I highly HIGHLY doubt that WL movement is over for this cycle. Stay calm, y'all. The game isn't over until orientation.
Thank you! I really appreciate this perspective. It definitely helped my nerves!

when exactly is orientation tho? Need to know how much longer i need to be anxious for 😅

*game isn’t over until the first day of class!!

Reactions: 2 users
I think the problem is that there really is a low WL movement because a lot of applicants are settling for their DO acceptance when they have none from their anticipated MD II or perhaps from not even getting an MD II in the first place because of the crazy cycle. They just want to be doctors and I think they’re taking any A they can get and settling with it. I would do the same 😆 and I think this why we got screwed over in a way when some of us only applied DO thinking we would make it.

Anywayyyy I’m gonna go cry in the shower

Reactions: 2 users
I think the problem is that there really is a low WL movement because a lot of applicants are settling for their DO acceptance when they have none from their anticipated MD II or perhaps from not even getting an MD II in the first place because of the crazy cycle. They just want to be doctors and I think they’re taking any A they can get and settling with it. I would do the same 😆 and I think this why we got screwed over in a way when some of us only applied DO thinking we would make it.

Anywayyyy I’m gonna go cry in the shower
Maybe, but I also think covid made things really slow to begin with. KCU JUST started pulling from waitlist. We can talk hypotheticals all day long, but I think the most productive thing to do is share facts when we get them and continue to be positive- as much as I hate people telling me to stay optimistic about WL, it’s the best thing to do here. We have more than a month left to see more movement. Wishing everyone nothing but the best ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
No, I don’t want an extended warranty for my 2001 Saturn that I paid $1000 for.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to say to everyone on the waitlist, don't fall into negativity. I have recently found myself pushing away loved ones, friends, anything I can due to uncertainty. My advice is don't close up, open up, and don't put yourself down.

You did a great thing and accomplished a lot. It's hard to see it from where we are now, but our future selves will be proud of us at this moment.

Reactions: 11 users
Just wanted to say to everyone on the waitlist, don't fall into negativity. I have recently found myself pushing away loved ones, friends, anything I can due to uncertainty. My advice is don't close up, open up, and don't put yourself down.

You did a great thing and accomplished a lot. It's hard to see it from where we are now, but our future selves will be proud of us at this moment.
Thank you I really needed this!

I think the best words of wisdom I’ve gotten recently is from a friend who’s in med school atm studying for step 1, that regardless of the outcome, we made it this far, we accomplished making it and we did it all while the world was literally dying during a global pandemic. We lost so much this year, and it has taken a toll. But we’ve stood on. We deserve to be proud of that, regardless of what happens moving forwards. Wishing you all nothing but the best with waitlist, it sucks and nothing can make it easier, but at least we’re all in this together :)

Reactions: 7 users
I think the best words of wisdom I’ve gotten recently is from a friend who’s in med school atm studying for step 1, that regardless of the outcome, we made it this far, we accomplished making it and we did it all while the world was literally dying during a global pandemic. We lost so much this year, and it has taken a toll. But we’ve stood on. We deserve to be proud of that, regardless of what happens moving forwards. Wishing you all nothing but the best with waitlist, it sucks and nothing can make it easier, but at least we’re all in this together :)
"But we’ve stood on." I love that. Living through it really is a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: 4 users
Love this. Hold your head up high, everyone. Most people get off WL end of June into july. I know it's crap but this is the time to be flexible. Med school is all about flexibility.

Thanks, I so needed this today🖤

Rescinded my spot at Joplin today - so stay strong if you’re on the waitlist. More movement will happen!

Reactions: 14 users
Hi! Congrats on your acceptance!! 🥳 I know we’ve all been bombarding you with a variety of questions, but I was just curious if they called you or emailed you first and if your status changed on Student Workday?
Thank you!! Not a problem I've been a ball of stress for like the last 6 months so I feel you. They called me in the morning, then I got an email in the afternoon, and my portal didn't change until after I had gotten the email (I didn't do a great job of checking it though). Then I got bombarded with 900 matriculation emails that same day so it all happened really fast.

I don’t think there was any movement today again. I’m convinced someone in admissions who handles this must be on vacation/out of office

Reactions: 8 users
Gonna be withdrawing my A at the KC campus

Reactions: 15 users
It’s been days since admissions has replied to my emails about the waitlist and sending an update letter. Any of you heard back from them?

It’s been days since admissions has replied to my emails about the waitlist and sending an update letter. Any of you heard back from them?
They typically only say things like “thank you we’ve saved this to your file”. Admissions also has 0 information about the WL, or at least none they’re sharing. There’s been minimal movement and all their responses are generic “there hasn’t been a lot of movement yet and we can’t say when there will be”. Hang in there friend

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
When do they usually post the official block and orientation schedule to the matriculation website?? I know they gave us a quick glimpse during accepted students day but it sounded like it wasn’t quite the final version yet.

When do they usually post the official block and orientation schedule to the matriculation website?? I know they gave us a quick glimpse during accepted students day but it sounded like it wasn’t quite the final version yet.
They had mentioned that it was going to be closer to orientation. I have the block schedule they gave us if you want that for now!