2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ current students: you guys buy a printer? Or school gives printing $?
I had my old printer from college. Hardly used it. Did use the school printer on occasion but mainly my ipad and apple pencil

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, just withdrew my A and scholarship. And I wanted to let you know that if you have a hard time paying the deposits, just email admissions. As crappy as it is for schools to ask for massive sums, KCU has been really nice about it. They even gave me an extension for the other forms and requirements.

Ok niceties out of the way, it should be illegal to do this to applicants, especially when the medical process already strongly favors applicants of higher socioeconomic status. The avg matriculant’s household income is not *remotely* reflective of the broader society. It requires insane privilege to even apply to med school. Schools can go all day saying they want to help alleviate disparities and scribble things like “we’re student centered” on their website, but if their actions don’t match their words, it doesn’t mean anything. Like asking for a 1k deposit called “Accepted Student Deposit.” That doesn’t even make sense. You accepted the student?

I know they’re trying to confirm who’s staying on and who’s not, but there are other ways. Schools love to ask for “creative ways we came up with solutions to problems” during essays and interviews, but will lazily default to asking for money when it comes to figuring out their problems. 2k is nothing for some people, and a ton for others. And considering all the loss that happened during the pandemic, there’s no sugarcoating that this is simply unethical. As pre-meds, med students, and drs we’re expected to adhere to the highest standards of ethics, and yet the systems in place think it’s okay to exploit us because we’ve already put years into coming to this point.

Okay, that is all lol. Wishing all accepted and WL folks the best of luck in their journeys! <3

• Care
Reactions: 24 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do students use textbooks or are there lecture notes available to purchase at bookstore? Or do students use electronic versions of notes given by professors?

Do students use textbooks or are there lecture notes available to purchase at bookstore? Or do students use electronic versions of notes given by professors?
Pretty much everyone uses pdf copies of the text books that’s you’ll get in a google drive from other students when u start. As far as notes, you’ll use Professor PowerPoints mainly, and some professors give out not packs as well. Never heard of buying notes from the bookstore

Reactions: 2 users
I had a quick question regarding clinical rotations/clerkships. Do you get to select any U.S. site (outside of the 23 KCU sites) for the elective rotations during 4th year? Thanks in advance!

I had a quick question regarding clinical rotations/clerkships. Do you get to select any U.S. site (outside of the 23 KCU sites) for the elective rotations during 4th year? Thanks in advance!
Yes. Certain sites require affiliation agreements so then it would be contingent on KCU reaching one with them. KCU doesn't require one themselves, however. Most people do 4th year all over because you will apply for away rotations through VSAS etc.

Yes. Certain sites require affiliation agreements so then it would be contingent on KCU reaching one with them. KCU doesn't require one themselves, however. Most people do 4th year all over because you will apply for away rotations through VSAS etc.
Thank you so much. That is super helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else on the waitlist that’s completely lost hope at this time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else on the waitlist that’s completely lost hope at this time?
Well the traffic day for DO schools seems to be May 15th so there might be a bunch of movement starting then. I feel it tho

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know if our MSPE states that we literally cannot honor an elective?
I do not. Theoretically, I believe each rotation should have some sort of bar graph that shows % of students that get each grade. So for your cores it should show x% pass, y% honor, z% fail. I'm not sure if they do something similar for electives though.

so sorry if this was already asked, but could someone please tell me when I can expect to receive my financial aid package? have been accepted since April. thank you!

so sorry if this was already asked, but could someone please tell me when I can expect to receive my financial aid package? have been accepted since April. thank you!
If you filled out your FAFSA, check your workday account. They sent the financial aid letters out a couple weeks ago I believe.

Hey guys, I already interviewed here and am on the waitlist. I just got an email from KCU saying "Thank you for your interest and application to KCU. At this time, our interview spots are full and we are no longer processing applications for the incoming class of 2025"

Is this just a generic email they send out to all applicants that haven't been accepted yet or is this a foreshadowing to a potential R?

Hey guys, I already interviewed here and am on the waitlist. I just got an email from KCU saying "Thank you for your interest and application to KCU. At this time, our interview spots are full and we are no longer processing applications for the incoming class of 2025"

Is this just a generic email they send out to all applicants that haven't been accepted yet or is this a foreshadowing to a potential R?
Got this email too. Now freaking out

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users

Same here

• Hmm
Can someone from last year's application cycle shine some light on this lol? Pretty nervous!

It sounds generic. They said interview spots are full, not seats in the class. You already interviewed.

Got this email too. Now freaking out
Also got the email. It looks super generic so I imagine that they just sent it to everyone on their email list that was not yet accepted. I am not sure if they sent out pre II rejections, but if not this would fulfill that purpose. Keep in mind our WL surveys were due last Friday so they probably ran the numbers and determined that they have enough people on the WL to satisfy their class size requirements. I doubt they can be done sending out Acceptances as we have not even hit the 5/15 traffic day. So they have no idea if people they accepted have other As, unless students told them.

Short version: I got the email. I think that someone in their admissions office used the wrong email list. The sky is not yet falling, now I shall go watch chicken little.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
That email is a generic one referring to interview spots, not waitlisted applicants who already interviewed.

That email is a generic one referring to interview spots, not waitlisted applicants who already interviewed.
In the same boat as ya'll. I was def freaking out but I'm glad I can calm my nerves at least a little bit. Is it worth responding to make sure? Or is that too desperate/annoying?

Reactions: 3 users
In the same boat as ya'll. I was def freaking out but I'm glad I can calm my nerves at least a little bit. Is it worth responding to make sure? Or is that too desperate/annoying?
I responded to clarify...let's see what they say

I'm pretty sure it's just for interviews, but I mailed them to confirm!

Got this email now:

"Good morning.

We have had several inquiries about the cycle closeout email that was sent on Thursday, May 14th.

Please know that while KCU is no longer conducting interviews, you will remain on the waitlist for the current cycle.

We apologize for any confusion this email may have caused."

UPDATE! KCU just sent out an email for those of us on the WL, they said the waitlist is still active and we will remain on the waitlist for this cycle, and apologized for the confusion. Everyone can take a little bit of a deep breath!!

Emailed this AM!

Good morning.

We have had several inquiries about the cycle closeout email that was sent on Thursday, May 14th.
Please know that while KCU is no longer conducting interviews, you will remain on the waitlist for the current cycle.
We apologize for any confusion this email may have caused.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

KCU-COM
Office of Admissions

Should I email KCUMB that they are my committed choice as an accepted student? I'm worried I may be on some waitlist I don't know about prior to May 15

Should I email KCUMB that they are my committed choice as an accepted student? I'm worried I may be on some waitlist I don't know about prior to May 15
? Did you receive an acceptance email? If so, then you're not on some waitlist and should be fine!

I think you can stay on waitlists just fine. You just can't hold multiple acceptances

I was told that you rank your top three of the 23

I was told that you rank your top three of the 23
For third year you have to rank all of them and then they place you at one. Most people get a spot in there top 3. Fourth year you can go wherever like fldoctorgirl said

For third year you have to rank all of them and then they place you at one. Most people get a spot in there top 3. Fourth year you can go wherever like fldoctorgirl said
Does being in the honors track help with this?

I had a feeling. So for honors track they help you get rotations close by.. and are the rotations "better"? Sorry for the mediocre questions!
I wouldn't know as I'm just an incoming student, but it sounds to me like the special honors track rotations are specific rotations they've set up in Kansas City. They're specialty focused, so I'd assume it's advantageous for the specialty you're going for. In that way, it sounds better, but probably would be hard to properly compare them to all of the other rotation sites.

I had a feeling. So for honors track they help you get rotations close by.. and are the rotations "better"? Sorry for the mediocre questions!
The rotations aren't necessarily "better" you will just be in KC for sure and get priority for some electives, but they kinda screwed over a bunch of people this year cause they got into an honors tack and then didn't get to choose the electives they were originally promised. The KC regions rotation site is one of the better ones overall, but the one in Detroit is probably our best.

Reactions: 4 users
The KC “site” seems more like a bunch of different sites all under the umbrella of KC just because they are within ~1 hour or so of the KC metro. There is a lot of variability in quality—from preceptor-based outpatient experiences to wards based with residents and a teaching service.

I’m only a 2nd year, so no direct experience, but I would look closely at what you want out of your clerkships experiences and talk to third and fourth years at the sites you’re interested in before making any decisions. I really don’t get the sense that the honors track provide any added value. But I’m not in one and didn’t apply to one so I would again seek out someone with firsthand knowledge of you think you want to go this route.

I really don’t get the sense that the honors track provide any added value. But I’m not in one and didn’t apply to one so I would again seek out someone with firsthand knowledge of you think you want to go this route.
Completely agree with this. I don't see any benefit in the honors tracks so I didn't apply to any even though I am interested in one of the specialties they offer.