2020-2021 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a call asking if I was still interested in being on the WL

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your insights! They said on the FA handout that the estimated COA for OOS is 110k per year, which is crazy. Do you know what’s the actual COA for most students?
COA for 2021-2022 is122k

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
That’s crazy... Isn’t the tuition around 68k? Then how come the COA is 122k?
61k for OOS 55 for IS. When I got my FA award it listed 122k with everything. Obviously as a IS student it would go down slightly

I received a phone call this afternoon asking if I wanted to be moved from the waitlist to the "next up list for open seats in the coming days." Has anyone received similar message?

I received a phone call this afternoon asking if I wanted to be moved from the waitlist to the "next up list for open seats in the coming days." Has anyone received similar message?
I did and received an A a few days later!

Hey guys, I’m an accepted student a little late to the party. Is there a GroupMe or anything to connect with incoming students?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those accepted what do they require you to do pre-matriculation, is it the standard drug screening, immunizations, physicals etc?

I got the A today for Davie campus!! Received a call Friday asking if I was still interested

Got an official A today!! Was also called last Friday and told I was in the top priority group of their next acceptances.

Just wanted to tell you guys that this is my
second application cycle, and many disappointing news later, I finally got into my dream school. I was waitlisted at every school I interviewed at and totally lost hope. But in the end everything works out the way it’s supposed to so keep believing and don’t hesitate to email schools w updates and continued interest. I genuinely never thought I’d be posting an A on sdn. Good luck everyone!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Got an official A today!! Was also called last Friday and told I was in the top priority group of their next acceptances.

second application cycle, and many disappointing news later, I finally got into my dream school. I was waitlisted at every school I interviewed at and totally lost hope. But in the end everything works out the way it’s supposed to so keep believing and don’t hesitate to email schools w updates and continued interest. I genuinely never thought I’d be posting an A on sdn. Good luck everyone!!
Congrats!! When were you waitlisted?

Can any current student talk about the experience of rotating at one of the Tampa Bay locations?
Current M3 at Largo Medical Center, which is the only Tampa area site until the other hospitals start taking Nova students next year. I have loved my time here. The attendings are great for the most part, the residents are nice and helpful, and the hours are fine and leave enough time for you to explore your own interests (I want to do anesthesia and Nova doesn't give us a rotation in it, so I shadow on my own time in the hospital). The site clinical coordinator is also great and way more accommodating than the Nova admin. We also have a meal stipend.

Cons: Psych, Surg, and 1/2 of IM are the only inpatient rotations (not necessarily a bad thing)
OB/GYN is now gone and they are scrambling to find a replacement
You are assigned a site based on a lottery system and this site has been competitive (probably even more so now that there is a Clearwater campus)

Reactions: 2 users
Current M3 at Largo Medical Center, which is the only Tampa area site until the other hospitals start taking Nova students next year. I have loved my time here. The attendings are great for the most part, the residents are nice and helpful, and the hours are fine and leave enough time for you to explore your own interests (I want to do anesthesia and Nova doesn't give us a rotation in it, so I shadow on my own time in the hospital). The site clinical coordinator is also great and way more accommodating than the Nova admin. We also have a meal stipend.

Cons: Psych, Surg, and 1/2 of IM are the only inpatient rotations (not necessarily a bad thing)
OB/GYN is now gone and they are scrambling to find a replacement
You are assigned a site based on a lottery system and this site has been competitive (probably even more so now that there is a Clearwater campus)
Even though you don't have an Anesthesia rotation, can you apply for one fourth year? Also, how supportive are the admin/staff with applying to specialities outside of family med?

Im a current waitlisted applicant. I got very good vibes and really loved the school, but many people and posts on reddit/sdn have warned that NSU has a "bad rep" I know one doctor who graduated from here and loved their experience but I was wondering if any current students could shed some light on the situation/criticisms? Thank you!

Im a current waitlisted applicant. I got very good vibes and really loved the school, but many people and posts on reddit/sdn have warned that NSU has a "bad rep" I know one doctor who graduated from here and loved their experience but I was wondering if any current students could shed some light on the situation/criticisms? Thank you!
The following is the honest and frank opinion of a current student at kpcom that chose it for proximity to family, go to VCOM. 1. The curriculum is not new, it is simply restructured, same old lectures are being taught and there is little emphasize on board related material (with the exception of a couple of professors, but not enough to matter) 2. Not enough rotation sites and established rotations sites keep dropping Nova 3. Amazing professors that care, but are told to stop caring by administration. 4. Some deans are really petty and have no problem being so in front of other students, so I am not surprised if the post you mentioned is true 5. Not worth the 60K a year (our whole class literally discovered this within the 1st month of starting med school and we were not happy) 6. You are constantly being threatened to be sent to student progress, for like anything, even for submitting a complaint/concern to the accreditation body that Nova does not agree with.

Trust me, you may be away from your family for 4 years, but that to me is worth it!
Here is a portion of a discussion that took place addressing those concerns on page 31 of this thread. I personally am hopeful it would be a "you put in what you get out" situation as I am patiently on the WL hoping to receive an A *peace and blessings*

Reactions: 1 user
Went to this school for undergrad and ended up going to another DO school in the south. If this is your only acceptance by all means take it, but yeah the school has declined in recent years. Other than great location, nova doesn’t have much to offer.
I’m debating between nova and william carey? And thoughts?

As a current student, I agree. I would only choose this school if it is your only option or you need to be in the area because of family or an SO. The price and other issues are not worth it.
William carey or Nova? Any thoughts?

Congrats!! When were you waitlisted?

Congratulations! Make a good use of it

To quell the concerns about Nova, I will share a few things I have heard from a current student. Take it as you will:

- There was a supposed cheating scandal in the prior classes with poor match rates.

- Students will be students and complain or cast responsibility that should've been personal onto the school or professors.

- At the end of the day you will be a doctor and your work in the field will define you. Historically Nova has had good matches and has a good reputation. They offer scholarships for concurrent masters programs to expand your education and have two campuses in great locations in Florida.

At the end of the day go where you'll be happy. Even if a different school might have better stats would you thrive in Kentucky or Idaho or Alabama? Emotional wellbeing is critical for the stress of this path.

Congratulations!!!!!

Even though you don't have an Anesthesia rotation, can you apply for one fourth year? Also, how supportive are the admin/staff with applying to specialities outside of family med?
4th year you schedule yourself, and you have 24 weeks of electives you can spend in any specialty, with the caveat that only 12 can be in a single specialty. So, yes. I plan on doing visiting rotations at 3 universities with anesthesia programs. I would say most people use those electives to do audition rotations at programs they want to match to for residency.
I have not had a great experience pursuing a non-primary care field. A massive portion of our clinical time is spent in family practice. You have to be your own advocate and pursue your interests. I am fortunate to be involved with a professor in research who has a friend who is an anesthesiologist at a prestigious program, but other than that, I have just made the effort during my hospital rotations to make connections.

I’m debating between nova and william carey? And thoughts?
Same here...I think nova is the more established school but I don’t know if the quality of rotations will be the same after they added the Tampa campus.
They also added the MD program a couple years ago. I wonder how they could find rotations for the additional students?

Same here...I think nova is the more established school but I don’t know if the quality of rotations will be the same after they added the Tampa campus.
They also added the MD program a couple years ago. I wonder how they could find rotations for the additional students?
yeah I'm a graduated (yay!) 4th year. I had excellent clinical training and would have advised you guys easily to pick NSU over William Carey. Now like you said I have no contact with current 2nd years in order to know where they made more clinical spots and how that all went with the Tampa campus being added in the mix, as well as the MD last year. I wasn't disrupted by either of these are their oldest classes are behind me.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an e-mail informing me of Student ID number, but it also clearly states it does not imply admittance. Has anybody received similar email before?

Does anyone know if nova has a big/little system or something where you get paired with a mentor/someone in a class above you?

Does anyone know if there is support academically such as tutoring and mental health counseling/support etc?

Does anyone know if nova has a big/little system or something where you get paired with a mentor/someone in a class above you?
I’m not sure about a big/little system but they do sort their students into houses, kinda like the Ivy Leagues and Harry Potter

Yes. We had a couple ways of being paired with someone in the class above you.
Does anyone know if there is support academically such as tutoring and mental health counseling/support etc?
There are group course reviews lead by people in class above who scored greater than 90 and apply to do them, not sure about individual tutoring because I never wanted that but I think?, and yes there were easily accessible mental health counseling. I was able to use it for free couples counseling because preclinical was really straining my marriage.

Reactions: 3 users
Having a hard time deciding between ACOM and NSU Davie campus... Anyone care to share their 2 cents?

Having a hard time deciding between ACOM and NSU Davie campus... Anyone care to share their 2 cents?
I always have a hard time with these questions unless it’s a super obvious difference. Everyone can only attend one medical school so it’s hard to compare. It’s usually easier if you have specific questions. But maybe other people will be able to respond as is.

Location wise NSU is better but from what I’ve been hearing ACOM has a much better rep. I know nsu has dropped the ball on rotation site as they lost contracts and students had to scramble and went out of state. For instance nsu had like 30 rotation spots in michigan which went down to 5 i think. Overall, i have talked to students in both schools and nsu students have deterred me while acom students genuinely seem happy with the admin and education in general. If u wanna discuss this more feel free to dm me.

Hi all, I just withdrew my A! I hope that it can go to one of you!!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
When you get sorted into your houses they give you a big/mentor within that house that is in the class above you

I got accepted guys! I don’t know which campus yet. I still have to read the whole email and pdf attached. I know I still have to read but, how’ll I know which campus? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 6 users
I got accepted guys! I don’t know which campus yet. I still have to read the whole email and pdf attached. I know I still have to read but, how’ll I know which campus? Thanks in advance!
Congrats!

It usually says it in one of the PDF's attached!