2020-2021 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today for Ft lauderdale

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! when were you waitlisted? also was Joseph the one that called you asking if you were still interested
I interviewed beginning of October and was waitlisted a few weeks later. Frankly, thought my interview was the worst out of other programs I interviewed. And yes, Joseph called me last tuesday. I received acceptance email yesterday afternoon

I interviewed beginning of October and was waitlisted a few weeks later. Frankly, thought my interview was the worst out of other programs I interviewed. And yes, Joseph called me last tuesday. I received acceptance email yesterday afternoon
Did you send any updates letter or something

Any Tampa campus future student interested in sharing apartment near campus?
OOS here

Does anyone know if any spots are available for the clearwater campus? Or is it possible to transfer campus if a spot opens? I also got that email about being in the Next up list and with the trend being as it is, I am optimistic. But I would really want to stay in Tampa, where I am currently at right now.

Does anyone know if any spots are available for the clearwater campus? Or is it possible to transfer campus if a spot opens? I also got that email about being in the Next up list and with the trend being as it is, I am optimistic. But I would really want to stay in Tampa, where I am currently at right now.
I got accepted to Clearwater and I’m in Tampa too! Hope you get into your campus of choice!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to davie and was approved for a transfer to clearwater a couple weeks ago. However, priority in transferring depends how early you paid your 2nd deposit

Where in the acceptance email does it say location, still trying to figure it out

I have to return acceptance to Ft Lauderdale, so I guess it’s Fort Lauderdale campus. I’m in Tampa so I have to move if there’s no spot in Clearwater.
When you return your intent to enroll docs they usually give you a form to select your campus or you can be placed on the campus transfer waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how full the class is and if people are still getting off the waitlist? I was WL early April and trying to gauge my chances of getting off the wl

Does anyone know how full the class is and if people are still getting off the waitlist? I was WL early April and trying to gauge my chances of getting off the wl
clearwater FB page has 150 members about 5 of them I know are current students. I was waitlisted late april and received an A 3 weeks later. There will be movement up until July!

I got an email asking if I wanted to be moved into the top-10 people to be off the waitlist or to be taken off the waitlist

Same here...I think nova is the more established school but I don’t know if the quality of rotations will be the same after they added the Tampa campus.
They also added the MD program a couple years ago. I wonder how they could find rotations for the additional students?
The simple answer is they have not found rotations for all M2 students at KPCOM. Instead, we have lost more than we have gained. I understand that some people have no other choice and they want to be as optimistic as possible, but the truth of the matter is that KPCOM is a mess at this moment and I really hope it gets better for future classes, but at this point things are looking bleak.

KPCOM has lost numerous established rotation spots in major hospitals, such as Memorial hospitals and Bethesda Hospital. In addition, we recently lost the VA hospital and those students now do not have a core hospital to rotate in, they will be floating around clinics around all of the tri-county area. While the school refuses to tell us the reason for this, we have heard from a physician in the VA hospital that Nova never completed an official contract for rotations, yet they told these students this would be their rotation spot. Many students have been stuck paying the penalty charge to cancel the leases they had signed when they were originally placed. In addition, a week ago, a hospital in Michigan dropped some students due to Covid concerns and these students are being forced by Nova to relocate to rural towns in Penn. and Illinois, and Nova refuses to cover the costs of breaking those leases as well. Mind you, M2s start rotations in 3 weeks.

In addition, approximately a quarter of students do not even have schedules and the Dean has admitted there are not enough physicians for them all, but they are "working on it." There have been students that have chosen to defer the year in hopes of getting a better rotation spot next year, not that these are guaranteed.

Nova used to guarantee students that over 80% of students would end up in their top 5 rotation sites. Yet this year, over half of the class ended up in a rotation they ranked in their bottom 10. Nova was not ready for a new campus of 150 students when they opened the campus and it appears that they are not ready 2 years after either. And we, the students, are paying the price. Many of us came to Nova because we thought that we would be in big hospitals in the South Florida, a major plus over a lot of other osteopathic colleges in smaller towns, but this is no longer the case. Will KPCOM add more rotation sites, perhaps? But we students have not seen any additions and talks with hospitals have been going on for over a year and hospitals are refusing to sign.

I am not writing these things because I have a personal vendetta against the school, I am writing it because I wish I would have been aware of the internal, administrative problems within KPCOM that have no doubt impacted my medical education, which is very expensive to begin with. After speaking with upperclassmen, these issues are not new, they have just worsened with the addition of the new campus. Personally, I do not think it is worth it anymore. Nova DO is no longer the program it used to be and its reputation is hanging on by a thread. While the public may not be aware of all of the issues, if the problems do not get fixed, the public will soon realize how internally damaged the school is and the reputation will go down the drain and further hurt current and past students. For us, we just want to make it to graduation and hope our accreditation is not impacted by all of this.

Last edited:
  • Wow
The simple answer is they have not found rotations for all M2 students at KPCOM. Instead, we have lost more than we have gained. I understand that some people have no other choice and they want to be as optimistic as possible, but the truth of the matter is that KPCOM is a mess at this moment and I really hope it gets better for future classes, but at this point things are looking bleak.

KPCOM has lost numerous established rotation spots in major hospitals, such as Memorial hospitals and Bethesda Hospital. In addition, we recently lost the VA hospital and those students now do not have a core hospital to rotate in, they will be floating around clinics around all of the tri-county area. While the school refuses to tell us the reason for this, we have heard from a physician in the VA hospital that Nova never completed an official contract for rotations, yet they told these students this would be their rotation spot. Many students have been stuck paying the penalty charge to cancel the leases they had signed when they were originally placed. In addition, a week ago, a hospital in Michigan dropped some students due to Covid concerns and these students are being forced by Nova to relocate to rural towns in Penn. and Illinois, and Nova refuses to cover the costs of breaking those leases as well. Mind you, M2s start rotations in 3 weeks.

In addition, approximately a quarter of students do not even have schedules and the Dean has admitted there are not enough physicians for them all, but they are "working on it." There have been students that have chosen to defer the year in hopes of getting a better residency spot next year, not that these are guaranteed.

Nova used to guarantee students that over 80% of students would end up in their top 5 rotation sites. Yet this year, over half of the class ended up in a rotation they ranked in their bottom 10. Nova was not ready for a new campus of 150 students when they opened the campus and it appears that they are not ready 2 years after either. And we, the students, are paying the price. Many of us came to Nova because we thought that we would be in big hospitals in the South Florida, a major plus over a lot of other osteopathic colleges in smaller towns, but this is no longer the case. Will KPCOM add more rotation sites, perhaps? But we students have not seen any additions and talks with hospitals have been going on for over a year and hospitals are refusing to sign.

I am not writing these things because I have a personal vendetta against the school, I am writing it because I wish I would have been aware of the internal, administrative problems within KPCOM that have no doubt impacted my medical education, which is very expensive to begin with. After speaking with upperclassmen, these issues are not new, they have just worsened with the addition of the new campus. Personally, I do not think it is worth it anymore. Nova DO is no longer the program it used to be and its reputation is hanging on by a thread. While the public may not be aware of all of the issues, if the problems do not get fixed, the public will soon realize how internally damaged the school is and the reputation will go down the drain and further hurt current and past students. For us, we just want to make it to graduation and hope our accreditation is not impacted by all of this.
Wow this is truly awful. I just graduated from NSU. I had excellent clinical training, which is why I chose NSU like you said. We, the students, have always just put up with the bad admin and BS for the great training sites, with most people getting what they want.

however, I saw they were losing sites because of M3s I was mentoring, telling me about their experience. And now the rising M3s from your post are having an even worse situation. Despicable. They definitely should not have added a 2nd site without good, strong training sites for everyone.

Wow this is truly awful. I just graduated from NSU. I had excellent clinical training, which is why I chose NSU like you said. We, the students, have always just put up with the bad admin and BS for the great training sites, with most people getting what they want.

however, I saw they were losing sites because of M3s I was mentoring, telling me about their experience. And now the rising M3s from your post are having an even worse situation. Despicable. They definitely should not have added a 2nd site without good, strong training sites for everyone.
I agree, they should have had rotation contracts ready before they even opened the 2nd campus. There is a new hospital system, Bayfront, that is taking a lot of students and we are really hoping it turns out to be amazing like Ocala, fingers crossed!!

• Care
I agree, they should have had rotation contracts ready before they even opened the 2nd campus. There is a new hospital system, Bayfront, that is taking a lot of students and we are really hoping it turns out to be amazing like Ocala, fingers crossed!!
Im confused, are you saying that students at both campus are having a tougher time getting good training sites because they added another campus? Or is it just the students at the Tampa campus that are now having difficulties? Why would hospitals pull out because they added another campus. Just need some clarification!

• Okay...
From what I have heard is that COVID explains a lot of the drama about the lack of rotations for some students this year. Students from that class have reached out to the groupchats to explain that they feel the situation would be better in two years time when we will start rotations. I don't doubt their reassurance for there are many great hospital systems in tampa bay, miami, and ft. lauderdale.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Radio silence since August. Sent additional updates including a letter of interest, updated LOR and medial work experience. Sent my best Mcat score in January. Emailed admission counselors multiple times and I’ve been told I’m still on a list the committee decides to interview from. I’m beginning to lose hope. Should I be this late in the cycle?

Radio silence since August. Sent additional updates including a letter of interest, updated LOR and medial work experience. Sent my best Mcat score in January. Emailed admission counselors multiple times and I’ve been told I’m still on a list the committee decides to interview from. I’m beginning to lose hope. Should I be this late in the cycle?
I read somewhere in this forum that the last interview date was the 4/15 weekend, but it seems admissions is telling different people different things so maybe they are giving more invites

Im confused, are you saying that students at both campus are having a tougher time getting good training sites because they added another campus? Or is it just the students at the Tampa campus that are now having difficulties? Why would hospitals pull out because they added another campus. Just need some clarification!
The Tampa campus is a not an independent school, all +400 of us are in the same class, just at different campuses, everything is shared. This means that we have the same schedules, the same lectures (when there is a lecture in Davie, it gets streamed to Tampa and vice versa), have labs at the same, take the same exams, etc. This is the reason the Davie students no longer have cadaver lab, because the Tampa campus does not have one. The same thing happens for rotations; all 400 students go into the same random lottery. So technically, even if you chose the Davie campus to stay close to home, you may be rotating in West Florida or OOS and vice versa for Tampa students, they may rotate somewhere outside of Tampa depending on their spot in the lottery. Thus, both campus are having trouble getting enough rotations spots for all students.

We students do not know the reasons for why some hospitals, like Memorial, pulled out. I do not think it has to do with the addition of a new campus per se, as this does not change previous contracts. However, it may have to do with how KPCOM admin is approaching the increase in students. One hospital has placed Nova on probation for violating their contract by adding more students to that site without approval. It also seems like KPCOM admin is dropping the ball. We were supposed to have added a Cleveland Clinic hospital in Florida this year and admin kept telling us they were in talks, however, nothing ended up happening and admin stopped saying anything about it. Turns out a student ambassador for the site said Cleveland Clinic decided the school was not prepared to enter into a contract. Unfortunately, so many sites have either decided not to sign a contract or have dropped students last minute. What is the common denominator?

This is a huge issue affecting Nova students right now and while I'm hopeful it will get fixed, at some point, I do want to let prospective students know that about half of the sites are now in very rural locations with tiny hospitals. If your plan was to go to Nova for their rotations in large hospitals/cities, know that your chances are much lower now compared to past years, so take that into consideration when comparing schools. Yes there are many hospital systems in South Florida and Tampa. However, also remember there are 4 other medical schools in South Florida (Nova's MD, FIU, FAU, UM), one other in Tampa (USF), all of which are competing for rotation spots in the area.

For incoming students, I would say to have your class board push admin, especially Clinical Education, to give you firm answers on how and what they are doing to increase the # of rotation spots, tell them you know that M2s now went through a horrible experience, and then, ASK THEM AGAIN in a couple of months about their progress. Do not wait until second year to start asking these questions! You will have to deal with a lot of BS from Nova admin, I really, really hope rotations is not one of them for yall!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey quick question! I got a call last Tuesday the 2nd asking if I was still interested in the waitlist and I was told that I was in the top ten to get in. I was just wondering if anyone has gotten in since then or heard any movement? I'm not sure how movement will be this June :(

Withdrew my A here today, hope it goes to one of you guys!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my A here today, hope it goes to one of you guys!
before withdrawing your A, were you holding onto two acceptances after the may 15th date? I'm just trying to see if this can affect the WL movement

Hey quick question! I got a call last Tuesday the 2nd asking if I was still interested in the waitlist and I was told that I was in the top ten to get in. I was just wondering if anyone has gotten in since then or heard any movement? I'm not sure how movement will be this June :(
Currently have A here. I think there will still be movement in June across the board. I got an email from another school with a similar message just this morning. And my dream school mentioned they don't go to waitlist until June.

Currently have A here. I think there will still be movement in June across the board. I got an email from another school with a similar message just this morning. And my dream school mentioned they don't go to waitlist until June.
Thank you! I'm just feeling nervous because it's been a while and I've read that people get called and then get an acceptance pretty soon afterwards. Also, I read a thread from years previously where a person was called around the same time as me and he/she never got the A

before withdrawing your A, were you holding onto two acceptances after the may 15th date? I'm just trying to see if this can affect the WL movement
Withdrew the A within ~2days of receiving the other A and confirming everything (this was all after the May 15th deadline)

Has anyone heard of transferring in from another accredited D.O. school for second year or have a good email address to inquire (haven't gotten a response for the hpadmissions email)?

Has anyone heard of transferring in from another accredited D.O. school for second year or have a good email address to inquire (haven't gotten a response for the hpadmissions email)?
I know for sure we had someone transfer in to our class at the start of 2nd year from another DO school. I don’t know the process at all.

• Love
I am going to withdraw my A soon! bittersweet because this was my first A and also my top DO choice. I cant wait for it to go to one of you!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
When I was reading the threads from last year, they still had interview invites going out in June
I thought they finished interviewing mid April this year. Someone on this thread said that since that’s what admissions told them during their interview day

Got an A from the Clearwater campus! Really excited! Was hoping to try and get into the Davie campus, so if anyone knows what form or who I should contact to do that, I'd appreciate your help!

Got an A from the Clearwater campus! Really excited! Was hoping to try and get into the Davie campus, so if anyone knows what form or who I should contact to do that, I'd appreciate your help!
Hey! If you email Stephanie or Jermila or Joseph and let them know you want to put in transfer for campuses they will give you more info on it and the form to submit too. I know there was a deadline for the transfer form but not sure if that applies to newer admits.

Hey! If you email Stephanie or Jermila or Joseph and let them know you want to put in transfer for campuses they will give you more info on it and the form to submit too. I know there was a deadline for the transfer form but not sure if that applies to newer admits.
Yeah I got the form from Jermilla today and submitted that today. She said they end switching on June 30th, so here's hoping something happens in the next week and a half. If not, nbd! Just excited to be accepted :)

Anyone with Alternate status still waiting for a decision? Based on the last year thread, there were a few acceptances in the end of June.

Just received an acceptance off the alternate list today. I was recently admitted into another medical school so I have declined the NSU’s offer. I hope my spot goes to one of you guys :) good luck!!