2020-2021 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Accepted this afternoon. Paid my deposite this evening. Very excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed on 04/15 and haven't heard back yet. I thought the interview went really well. Should I be worried?

Congrats!!!! Great News!!! did you follow up with the letter of intent?
I sent the letter of intent the day before the committee met. It was added to the file on time. I feel like it helped. They made it sound like all offers were made the days prior to the committee meeting for my interview groups. So they called me last Thursday saying I was on the top 5 WL and to expect a ln acceptance email within a few days. They asked which campus I preferred.

did anyone interview on 12 January receive acceptance from the waitlist?

Thanks for your insights! They said on the FA handout that the estimated COA for OOS is 110k per year, which is crazy. Do you know what’s the actual COA for most students
It really depends on where you choose to live, apartments run anywhere from 10K (with roommates) to 20K or more a year. Extra school fees on top of tuition are about 6K a year. So baseline really depends on that apartment payment and your lifestyle. I would say 90K-100K is average.

Did anyone receive their NSU student ID before getting accepted? I just received my student ID this morning, but haven’t received an acceptance yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by the whole class discovered this within the first month of starting school?

Can you give examples of the deans being petty?
I think the biggest reason for us was in the anatomy course, one of the two professors in particular knows absolutely nothing about anatomy. She provides 100 to 200 slide lectures and does not teach any of it, just says you need to know this and know that and that and that and that and so on. I know that the majority of students complained about her not teaching anything last year or teaching things incorrectly when she started. Administration basically told students they are re-training her and need to be patient, but she has not improved at all and has actually become one of the course directors for anatomy. On top of our lack of cadaver lab, this makes learning anatomy so much harder. Other very competent faculty, super capable of teaching anatomy, have left because Nova refuses to make them full-time faculty, but this lady remains as one of the course directors, it has literally been a slap in the face for students and the first of many "I'm paying 60K a year of this?" moments.

In terms of pettiness, in one of our first Dean's hour we had a student address their concerns about the curriculum. They spoke about why they chose Nova amongst their other options for schools and how their expectations were not necessarily being met. They did this in a very respectful way and to no fault of theirs as our class had not been told we did not have cadaver lab until the first day of classes. Later on in the week when we saw the Dean again and tried to more officially meet her, the Dean addressed this student with a nasty attitude basically saying I know exactly who you are, you are the student that had lots of options and just walked away, all in front of other students. This is nothing out of the norm, Deans do not seem to like being told that things are not working as planned and can be improved, which is unfortunate as we have many students that have provided admin with great ideas on how to improve our curriculum.

Overall, if you choose Nova you will just have to remember to roll with the punches and I am sure the rest of your class will be supportive because there are amazing students that go here. If all else fails, your classmates and even some professors will let you vent! For all I know, admin may have a change of heart and just turn things around. At the end of the day, choose whatever is best for you, listen to what others have to say, but ultimately decide what you are willing to risk and gain.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi :) Thinking of applying in the upcoming cycle, but I only took Organic Chem II without lab. I know a lot of schools let you substitute Biochemistry for Organic II, which I did take Biochem with Lab, but I noticed this school in particular seems like they require both. Curious if anyone has been accepted with just Organic II lecture and Biochem with lab? I just don't want to waste the money if I'll be screened out without lab.

I think the biggest reason for us was in the anatomy course, one of the two professors in particular knows absolutely nothing about anatomy. She provides 100 to 200 slide lectures and does not teach any of it, just says you need to know this and know that and that and that and that and so on. I know that the majority of students complained about her not teaching anything last year or teaching things incorrectly when she started. Administration basically told students they are re-training her and need to be patient, but she has not improved at all and has actually become one of the course directors for anatomy. On top of our lack of cadaver lab, this makes learning anatomy so much harder. Other very competent faculty, super capable of teaching anatomy, have left because Nova refuses to make them full-time faculty, but this lady remains as one of the course directors, it has literally been a slap in the face for students and the first of many "I'm paying 60K a year of this?" moments.

In terms of pettiness, in one of our first Dean's hour we had a student address their concerns about the curriculum. They spoke about why they chose Nova amongst their other options for schools and how their expectations were not necessarily being met. They did this in a very respectful way and to no fault of theirs as our class had not been told we did not have cadaver lab until the first day of classes. Later on in the week when we saw the Dean again and tried to more officially meet her, the Dean addressed this student with a nasty attitude basically saying I know exactly who you are, you are the student that had lots of options and just walked away, all in front of other students. This is nothing out of the norm, Deans do not seem to like being told that things are not working as planned and can be improved, which is unfortunate as we have many students that have provided admin with great ideas on how to improve our curriculum.

Overall, if you choose Nova you will just have to remember to roll with the punches and I am sure the rest of your class will be supportive because there are amazing students that go here. If all else fails, your classmates and even some professors will let you vent! For all I know, admin may have a change of heart and just turn things around. At the end of the day, choose whatever is best for you, listen to what others have to say, but ultimately decide what you are willing to risk and gain.
That is super concerning tbh... seems to give merit to the whole "blacklist" thing nova DO has going on where students that complain get some sort of bad letter of rec when it's time to apply for residency (mentioned earlier somewhere in this thread). @Goro I know you don't typically recommend this program to applicants due to their concerning match rates, but is this sort of thing common among med schools?

That is super concerning tbh... seems to give merit to the whole "blacklist" thing nova DO has going on where students that complain get some sort of bad letter of rec when it's time to apply for residency (mentioned earlier somewhere in this thread). @Goro I know you don't typically recommend this program to applicants due to their concerning match rates, but is this sort of thing common among med schools?
There are a handful of DO schools that I have heard that pull out the "professionalism" sledgehammer when the students complain about flies. It's reached a point where some SDNers are afraid to make ANY complaint, no matter how valid.

I don't know which ones they are, and while it's expected for medical students to complain (it's their job, actually), when I hear the same complaints about a school, year in and year out, then I suspect that something is wrong with the school, not the students.

This year the match process was a bit more disappointing to some people, and now everyone is panicking. he sky isn't falling.

Withdrawing my WL today as I got into MSU-COM last week. Best of luck to all of you!

Hi all. Was fortunate enough to be accepted to both VCOM-CC and NSU-Davie.

Average indebtedness of VCOM is 220k, while Nova is ~300k. Reading through this thread about nova also makes me nervous to accept their offer.

Caveat is that NSU is only 45 min from very supportive parents, while VCOM-CC is 3 states away.

Any input on the better choice here?

Finding this post has solidified my decision to attend MSUCOM over NSUKPCOM. Thank you so much for posting this.

• Hmm
Hi :) Thinking of applying in the upcoming cycle, but I only took Organic Chem II without lab. I know a lot of schools let you substitute Biochemistry for Organic II, which I did take Biochem with Lab, but I noticed this school in particular seems like they require both. Curious if anyone has been accepted with just Organic II lecture and Biochem with lab? I just don't want to waste the money if I'll be screened out without lab.
Hey you do need it. In fact, I was accepted and they sent me a letter reminding me to send my final transcript because when I applied I hadn’t taken ochem II with lab. I did take biochem and they still sodd Ed Cifo call y listed ochem II and lab in my checklist of things I needed to do/submit.

Finding this post has solidified my decision to attend MSUCOM over NSUKPCOM. Thank you so much for posting this.
The replies by current students on this thread has also solidified my decision to attend VCOM (if I don't get off this MD waitlist).
MSUCOM is an amazing school. Personally know many great physicians who came out of there. Best of luck to you :)

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, just asking to see if I can get an idea on the waitlist movement. I got a call on Monday letting me know that I’m near the top for a seat in the class.
I'm going to withdraw my acceptance today, I hope it goes to you. 😊

Thanks, just asking to see if I can get an idea on the waitlist movement. I got a call on Monday letting me know that I’m near the top for a seat in the class.
its great that admissions call and provide updates. When were you placed on WL?

Withdrawing my WL today as I got into MSU-COM last week. Best of luck to all of you!
how did you withdraw your WL? I got accepted somewhere else as well and wish to withdraw but im not sure how. thanks!

how did you withdraw your WL? I got accepted somewhere else as well and wish to withdraw but im not sure how. thanks!
Congrats on A!!!! I would send it to admissions team: Jouseph Sliba @ <[email protected]>, Jermila Claxton @ <[email protected]>, Stephanie Ruddock @ <[email protected]>
I actually got a call and a voicemail from Joseph asking me if I was still interested in being on their WL (I withdrew from one of their post bacc programs so they knew I was accepted elsewhere), so I just emailed him requesting to withdraw my app.

Can anyone speak about the difference in quality between Clearwater and Davie? I've read that Nova tries hard to keep the quality of classes similar; but are the clubs and research opportunities more numerous at the more established Davie?

I withdrew my A. I hope it goes to one of you amazing people!

• Care
for newly admitted or current students: When calculating the loan amount needed, do you consider the items of “Books and Supplies and transportation”? This may seem like a dumb question but I mainly have loans for tuition and I would think that’s all I would need to pay to NSU?

does anyone have insight as to why Nova sent such early Rs to qualified applicants. I have friends with similar stats and EC that did not get the early R. Just wondering as this was my top choice. Any response helps :)

Just got an email and got accepted from the waitlist!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
does anyone have insight as to why Nova sent such early Rs to qualified applicants. I have friends with similar stats and EC that did not get the early R. Just wondering as this was my top choice. Any response helps :)
Who knows why they make specific decisions on applicants, but I would always rather have more information and sooner if I wasn’t be considered.

for newly admitted or current students: When calculating the loan amount needed, do you consider the items of “Books and Supplies and transportation”? This may seem like a dumb question but I mainly have loans for tuition and I would think that’s all I would need to pay to NSU?
You don’t need to pay them any thing for books, supplies, or transportation. But that is how they have to breakdown the COA to reach the total loan amount available to students. I took out basically the amount available minus ~5000 each year.

To all current students on here: how much did you take out for loans with the plus loan? Like after the unsubsidized ~$58k just for tuition? Thanks!

For those who are accepted, have they notified the orientation or start date yet?

For those who are accepted, have they notified the orientation or start date yet?
I am still on the waiting list, patiently praying for an A, but I had found online that orientation is July 26th and I wanna say is interwoven with classes.

I am still on the waiting list, patiently praying for an A, but I had found online that orientation is July 26th and I wanna say is interwoven with classes.
I can confirm that July 26th is the start date. They just said 'see on you on July 26' and didn't specify what exactly is happening that day though.

I also just withdrew my acceptance to the Tampa campus, which was a very hard decision to make. But I did not want to hold on to the spot longer than I needed to. I wish you all the best of luck!

• Care
Hi all, I recently withdrew my acceptance (TPA campus). Best of luck to you all!

• Care
Has anyone interviewed and not heard back yet? Do they email you even if it's a rejection?