2020-2021 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, newly accepted student at the Philadelphia campus. I was wondering if anyone knows of good neighborhoods (that are relatively affordable) around campus or any sort of group messages to find roommates and such? Thanks!
Congrats! There are places all over within a 5 mile radius from the school. Bala Cynwd/Wynnfield, Manyunk, East Falls, Germantown are close neighborhoods. As far as the price tag it depends on what you consider affordable. Having a roommate or multiple roomies will definitely shave off the cost so you should be good.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Also got the WL email. Does anyone know if PCOM accepts a Letter of Intent? (since they seem to only take MCAT and Grade updates only)
They accept updates like work and activities but I don't think they accept a letter of intent. I sent them a letter of interest along with my work updates

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, newly accepted student at the Philadelphia campus. I was wondering if anyone knows of good neighborhoods (that are relatively affordable) around campus or any sort of group messages to find roommates and such? Thanks!
Congrats! were you wailisted first? If so, how long were you on the waitlist for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know approximately how much renter’s insurance costs? Looking to live in presidential city, and they require it.

Hey does anyone know the website where I can see all the core clinical rotation sites/hospital partnerships? Can't find it anywhere...

Hey does anyone know the website where I can see all the core clinical rotation sites/hospital partnerships? Can't find it anywhere...
Go to MyPCOM, click the student resources tab, click Philadelphia student handbooks, and there is a whole pdf about clinical rotations for 3rd and 4th year!

Do we think there will be any waitlist movement soon? I have not seen any acceptances in awhile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did they even accept anyone after an April interview, or did they just waitlist everyone first? Seems like they started taking people off the waitlist before anyone with a later interview heard back or even interviewed. It might also be the small sample size on SDN tho

Does anyone know approximately how much renter’s insurance costs? Looking to live in presidential city, and they require it.
I think it's anywhere from $11-15 a month. Nothing expensive. If you have a car a lot of auto insurances will bundle renter's insurance into your plan. Check with your auto insurance. Otherwise Google: Lemonade Renter's Insurance.

Do we think the class could be full?
Based on the numbers on the accepted student facebook page, I feel like the class is full right now. I also think that because this was such a competitive year with applications being up we might not see as much movement because more people are probably holding onto their spots BUT that's just me trying to rationalize! I'm still hoping we see at least some movement soon!

Based on the numbers on the accepted student facebook page, I feel like the class is full right now. I also think that because this was such a competitive year with applications being up we might not see as much movement because more people are probably holding onto their spots BUT that's just me trying to rationalize! I'm still hoping we see at least some movement soon!
Yeah I was sort of thinking that as well but hoping it was not true. That is highly possible though. Fingers crossed that we hear something soon, not giving up hope just yet.

People that are accepted and planning on going to PCOM, what specialty are you guys interested in?

By this time the class is typically full and movement often depends on movement at other schools or just change of plans from an accepted applicant. So it will be one out and then one in until the week of orientation. Anyone who is considering not attending should make their decision and inform the school so those on the WL can get notification. In the meantime if you are on the WL you should be working on your Plan B for the upcoming year.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if you have to pay for utilities (electric or AC) for the presidential or Lincoln green apartments?

Does anyone know if you have to pay for utilities (electric or AC) for the presidential or Lincoln green apartments?
Utilities are usually not included in the rent unless it's explicitly stated that they are

You have to pay utilities in addition to rent at both!

Hey guys what color scrubs do PCOM students usually wear/are required to wear? Just received a gift card from a popular scrubs brand and want to make a good decision...

I was accepted off the WL earlier this week! I sent a letter of interest with an update 2 weeks ago so maybe that helped.
interviewed 3/24
Waitlisted 4/29

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I was accepted off the WL earlier this week! I sent a letter of interest with an update 2 weeks ago so maybe that helped.
interviewed 3/24
Waitlisted 4/29
Congratulations! Did you notice a portal change first? What day did you receive the email? Thank you!

Do I have to sign up lease starting month of July to get adjusted? How early are you all planning on moving in? Thanks.

Do I have to sign up lease starting month of July to get adjusted? How early are you all planning on moving in? Thanks.
The Friday before orientation week. August 6th

Hey all. About to give up my seat here. Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 7 users
I was accepted off the waitlist today! My portal did change yesterday. I sent a letter of interest, a publication and my spring grades last week. Keep hope everyone! Amazing things can happen. Looking forward to being a member of the class of 2025.
I: 3/26
W: 4/29
A: 6/24

Reactions: 9 users
I was accepted off the waitlist today! My portal did change yesterday. I sent a letter of interest, a publication and my spring grades last week. Keep hope everyone! Amazing things can happen. Looking forward to being a member of the class of 2025.
I: 3/26
W: 4/29
A: 6/24
Congratulations! Do you mind me asking your statistics? And are you in-state?

Accepted off the waitlist today! Interview: 3/30, Waitlisted: 5/3, Accepted: 6/24. IS, ORM.

Reactions: 5 users
Also Accepted off the waitlist! Interview: 3/16, Waitlisted: 4/29, Accepted: 6/24. IS, ORM. And I did not send any update letters since WL.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if there any books that we need to get? Or should we just wait until classes start?

Does anyone know if there any books that we need to get? Or should we just wait until classes start?
I want to know as well. Also, what supplementals are best for cmbm, and what does our schedule look like during the week. So many questions lol

I want to know as well. Also, what supplementals are best for cmbm, and what does our schedule look like during the week. So many questions lol

Don’t buy any textbooks yet. You’ll get more information on resources and your schedule during orientation. But to give you a general idea, during the first term you’ll have mostly lectures from CMBM with a few OMM lectures. M1s usually have OMM lab on mondays or tuesdays depending on your group. OMM lab is about an hour and a half. You’ll also have PCS lab on the Mon/Tues you don’t have OMM lab. There may also be active learning sessions some weeks

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything lately? Do we think this cycle is over?