2020-2021 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this for people who interviewed in August?
Did you interview in August? The earliest interviews I saw on here were sent out at the end of August for September, so I was thinking probably those people may hear back on Thursday

Members don't see this ad.

Did you interview in August? The earliest interviews I saw on here were sent out at the end of August for September, so I was thinking probably those people may hear back on Thursday
Oh no lol, interviewed today and the anticipation is already killin me. Just wasn’t given a timeline other than 6-8 weeks from SDN

Oh no lol, interviewed today and the anticipation is already killin me. Just wasn’t given a timeline other than 6-8 weeks from SDN
Their email will say 6-8 weeks when you get it, but it's probably only been ~5 weeks since the first interviews.

Good luck y'all I hope decisions are swift and fortuitous

Members don't see this ad :)
I always chuckle when someone says something like “within 6-8 weeks.”
Why not just say within 8 weeks?

I always chuckle when someone says something like “within 6-8 weeks.”
Why not just say within 8 weeks?
Just to convey "don't expect before 6 weeks"

interviewed late september, so prob not gonna get any decision tomorrow... but maybe???

Reactions: 1 user
Received an II just now via email! Complete mid August! OOS

Edit: I applied for CORE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you.

Has any IS received IIs?

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now!!! Complete 8/20. Originally applied to the CORE program, but was called to interview for the SELECT program :)

Reactions: 3 users
OOS Interview for CORE MD program ORM Stats above averages

Reactions: 1 users
II just now!!! Complete 8/20. Originally applied to the CORE program, but was called to interview for the SELECT program :)
Same thing happened to me. Scheduled an interview for this Monday, what a turn around :O

II, OOS.
For some reason my application portal is only letting my schedule my interview on 10/20. I am unfortunate not available on that particular day (not to mention, its in like 5 days). Any others experiencing the same problem, or should I email the admissions team?

II, OOS.
For some reason my application portal is only letting my schedule my interview on 10/20. I am unfortunate not available on that particular day (not to mention, its in like 5 days). Any others experiencing the same problem, or should I email the admissions team?
When were you complete?

Curious to see if anyone hears back tomorrow and if they do when their interview date was. In past year threads they have sent out decisions fairly quickly but that post interview email said 6-8 weeks so I I'm not holding my breath haha

I feel like honestly they just gave that timeline so that we can’t be upset if it ends up taking longer. I also have high doubts that they wouldn’t continue their tradition of calling for acceptances but I could be proven wrong lol

What portal are you guys seeing for seeing interview scheduling? The secondary website just shows my primary application. I was invited for select over phone and got a confirmation email without specific times, so maybe it's different than a normal II?

SELECT MS4 here. Happy to answer any questions anyone has about the program. Feel free to DM me too.
Hi there, thanks so much for answering questions! Would you mind sharing a bit about the overall campus culture both within the first 2 years and once you move up to PA? Also, what is your favorite part about the select program? Thanks!

Hi there, thanks so much for answering questions! Would you mind sharing a bit about the overall campus culture both within the first 2 years and once you move up to PA? Also, what is your favorite part about the select program? Thanks!

In Tampa you're treated just like any other med student, only difference is you go to a select specific class once a week which has occasional assignments and exams. Select students and core students intermingle fairly well, most of my friends in preclinicals were core students actually. Your experience will be what you make of it in preclinicals, you can study on your own and rarely interact with your peers, or you can form study groups and study together every day. It's probably a little harder to get to know people right this moment because of online only classes, but I imagine things will start to trend back to normal eventually.

In Allentown, people tend to stick more with the friends they already have, at least outside of the hospital. You will interact with people who you didn't really before based on how your rotation groups are split up, but for the most part by that point people aren't really in the making friends mode that they are in preclinicals. Most of the residents and attendings are friendly and willing to teach, and overall I would describe it as more of a community program atmosphere instead of an academic program atmosphere.

My favorite thing about select is they're always trying to broaden our perspectives on our patients. For example in 2nd year they brought in a group of wheelchair rugby players to help us understand how people cope with disabilities. And it was helpful to ask them about their journey from their initial injury to eventually being able to become an athlete. Obviously that's not the only thing select is about, but I found that I appreciated this aspect the most, especially when I started clinicals.

Sorry if I didn't answer what you were getting at in the initial question, I was a little unsure about what you meant by "overall campus culture." Feel free to clarify if I didn't answer what you were looking for.

II for CORE. IS. Complete 7/14.

LM: 77; WARS: 99; 1st: 33; 2nd: 32; II: 5; A: 0; R: 1; WL: 0;

No news on decisions yet? Looks like it might just be mail this year

• Sad
II yesterday, SELECT, OOS.
Applied to both CORE and SELECT. Also had another email that said "Regular MD Program," and wasn't sure if this was referring to CORE or just an MD program vs MD/PhD or BS/MD...
Can you only receive an II/A to one of CORE/SELECT and not both?

Last edited:
No news on decisions yet? Looks like it might just be mail this year
looks like my parents will be finding out before me lmfao I didn’t feel like changing my address on AMCAS

The 2018 thread shows calls going out kind of later in the day, around 5 PM onward. I looked at Oct 15th, 2019 but I guess the admissions dean was traveling that day. So... my anxiety remains peaked.

The 2018 thread shows calls going out kind of later in the day, around 5 PM onward. I looked at Oct 15th, 2019 but I guess the admissions dean was traveling that day. So... my anxiety remains peaked.
well, tell me why my phone stopped working today and I will have to rely on my ipad to pick up any phone calls. Just my luck right?

dear 813 spam callers

i will ****ing hidden lotus u

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
For those who interviewed for CORE, just to confirm I understand it correctly, on your interview day it’s just your two interviews right? And the informational sessions will be scheduled for a later day?

For those who interviewed for CORE, just to confirm I understand it correctly, on your interview day it’s just your two interviews right? And the informational sessions will be scheduled for a later day?
correct :)

• Love
Did anyone have a rocky interview and get in? I felt like all my answers were just... not it :(

Did anyone have a rocky interview and get in? I felt like all my answers were just... not it :(
SELECT or CORE? I had select but I feel like mine was not that good:/, but I don't think any decisions were sent out yet? I could be wrong

I will say that my interviews were.. not great. One interviewer was fatigued and the other seemed to purposefully be trying to push my buttons. I don't think decisions have gone out yet, though.

Dang I’m sorry to hear about the interview experiences :( Would anyone who has interviewed for CORE recently mind just letting me know generally if it was a positive or negative experience?

Dang I’m sorry to hear about the interview experiences :( Would anyone who has interviewed for CORE recently mind just letting me know generally if it was a positive or negative experience?
I really liked my 2 interviewers tbh. I could not find much about them online before going in so I had no idea what to expect, but I felt like both interviews ended up extremely conversational and low stress.

I really liked my 2 interviewers tbh. I could not find much about them online before going in so I had no idea what to expect, but I felt like both interviews ended up extremely conversational and low stress.

Gotcha, thanks so much! This is my only interview so far so I’m really nervous :(

felt like my interviewers were kind of stiff. tried to have a conversation but they were sticking to written questions. plz just let me talk about my training regimen

felt like my interviewers were kind of stiff. tried to have a conversation but they were sticking to written questions. plz just let me talk about my training regimen
I actually felt like that too lol

I will say that my interviews were.. not great. One interviewer was fatigued and the other seemed to purposefully be trying to push my buttons. I don't think decisions have gone out yet, though.
Mine was for CORE as well. I don't think I've ever been cut off/interrupted so many times in a conversation before. I'd say maybe 5-8 words and they'd interrupt and try to redirect my response to something else. This would happen 2-3 times per question... No idea why, but I just tried to stay upbeat, smiling, and responsive to what they were asking. I told my boss about it and described all the details and they said "you killed it, then!" but as one of my only perspectives on the school, it was off-putting.

Mine was for CORE as well. I don't think I've ever been cut off/interrupted so many times in a conversation before. I'd say maybe 5-8 words and they'd interrupt and try to redirect my response to something else. This would happen 2-3 times per question... No idea why, but I just tried to stay upbeat, smiling, and responsive to what they were asking. I told my boss about it and described all the details and they said "you killed it, then!" but as one of my only perspectives on the school, it was off-putting.
lol same I think we had the same interviewer

lol same I think we had the same interviewer
It's comforting (yet unfortunate at the same time) that someone else had a similar experience... thanks for sharing lol

just to emphasize all of the previous comments I also had one interviewer who was very stiff/would cut me off sometimes. I tried to keep it conversational but that one was a little rough. However my other interviewer I absolutely loved he was so kind and although he of course asked some standard questions we talked a lot about sports and other random things

For those that did CORE interviews, what general kinds of questions were asked (traditional interview questions vs personalized or)? Did they last the full hour? Kinda worried now reading these negative experiences haha (this is gonna be my first interview).. I was hoping for the trend of chill conversational interviews to continue here, but I guess this is not the case most likely?