2020-2021 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't heard anything from SIU since my MCAT score came out on August 18th. Should I have received something by now? I'm from central Illinois so maybe I'm on the cusp of whether they'd consider me or not.
No, they pref central IL too so I would probably follow up. Basically Springfield and south was what I always heard but I've heard other people say I-80 and south

Members don't see this ad.

No, they pref central IL too so I would probably follow up. Basically Springfield and south was what I always heard but I've heard other people say I-80 and south
Whoops forgot to keep checking these threads, but update they finally sent me something two days ago saying "We have received the scores from your latest MCAT testing date" lol, not sure what took so long

Reactions: 1 user
Any updates on where they are in terms of sending secondaries and interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm I'm sorry to hear that. I've heard that's sort of like a rejection?. are you from central/southern or any red flags in your app?

Decent ties to downstate (significant other and work / life experiences) but my permanent address is very much in one of the big chicago suburbs. I'm treating it as an R at this point as they rarely pull from that list and application #s are already up this year so its even less likely.

Finally under review this morning after they received my 8/29 MCAT.

Last edited:
Decent ties to downstate (significant other and work / life experiences) but my permanent address is very much in one of the big chicago suburbs. I'm treating it as an R at this point as they rarely pull from that list and application #s are already up this year so its even less likely.
Sorry about that....curious where you look up application numbers for this year? Thank you!

Sorry about that....curious where you look up application numbers for this year? Thank you!

I was speaking in general terms that apps are up across the board. AMA reported aprox. 16% up from last year at the end of august <source>

Does anyone have a scheduled II? I received the email back during mid aug, but have yet to hear anything else.

I received a II at the beginning of September and interviewed in mid-late September. I choose the in-person interview (which was unexpected and awesome). In regards to not hearing back right away after the II, I had a similar experience and think everything is a just little delayed this cycle. I did send a follow up email since I was worried about not hearing and received a friendly response!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have a scheduled II? I received the email back during mid aug, but have yet to hear anything else.
+1 How do we set up the interview? I am starting to get nervous.

+1 How do we set up the interview? I am starting to get nervous.
The email I received advised I respond with four dates of availability for the interview. About 1-2 weeks later one of those dates was confirmed with an attached itinerary.

Members don't see this ad :)
The email I received advised I respond with four dates of availability for the interview. About 1-2 weeks later one of those dates was confirmed with an attached itinerary.
I only received the initial email that they would be in touch soon. That was early Sep. When did you get the first II email?

Reactions: 1 users
I only received the initial email that they would be in touch soon. That was early Sep. When did you get the first II email?
August 3rd: Application complete. Confirmation email.
Sept 2nd: "We will be in touch soon to schedule you for an interview" email.
One hour later on Sept 2nd: Official Interview Invite (schedule interview).
Sept 11th: Interview date confirmed by email.
Mid-Sept: In-person interview.

August 3rd: Application complete. Confirmation email.
Sept 2nd: "We will be in touch soon to schedule you for an interview" email.
One hour later on Sept 2nd: Official Interview Invite (schedule interview).
Sept 11th: Interview date confirmed by email.
Mid-Sept: In-person interview.

I received the 9/2 email with no follow-up; seems like a couple of others are in the same boat?

I received the 9/2 email with no follow-up; seems like a couple of others are in the same boat?
Sounds like it, but I would not sweat it too much! They are only interviewing two people a day in-person, so they are probably slowly making it through their list compared to other years.

Sounds like it, but I would not sweat it too much! They are only interviewing two people a day in-person, so they are probably slowly making it through their list compared to other years.
Ah, only two people a day makes a lot more sense. I honestly wasn't too worried, and irony of ironies, I got my email today to schedule :)

Has anyone not heard back after receiving an II? I emailed them with my four dates over two weeks ago and haven’t heard anything back. Kind of concerned they forgot about me.

Screeners alternate after being marked complete 9/30. From Chicago so not shocked. Good luck, y'all!

Finally got SIU's secondary today and could not be more thrilled, that low tuition though :happy: Timeline for anyone else with a later app who's still in the waiting game:
August 18th: July 31st MCAT score released
September 10th: MCAT score received by SIU, primary app now undergoing review
October 12th: invitation to complete supplemental app

Does anyone know if they will call when extending an acceptance or if its just email?

After applying to SIU a few times, here is my advice so you don’t wast your money and effort in the future:
If you are an immigrant - Don’t apply
If you are a URM - Don’t apply
If you are NOT living in the south of IL - Don’t apply

FUN FACTS:
SIU is a state funded school, but it give preference to certain parts of the state over others, if you are from Chicago and pay state taxes and apply to SIU and not accepted because you live in Chicago! Don’t get mad!

SIU is the only medical school I know that have admission office controlled by lawyers! Not medical committee! IRONIC!

The last fun fact, When it comes to residency at SIU, they take many INTERNATIONAL medical school graduates in their residency program ( Caribbean, Qatar ) !!

• Dislike
Does anyone know if they will call when extending an acceptance or if its just email?
The first stage of acceptance is their "accept when place available" list, which is not a full-on acceptance. I was told I would receive a letter in the mail. They then rank applicants on this list and full accept in batches beginning at the end of November/beginning of December. Not sure if that is via phone call, mail, or email.

After applying to SIU a few times, here is my advice so you don’t wast your money and effort in the future:

FUN FACTS:
SIU is a state funded school, but it give preference to certain parts of the state over others, if you are from Chicago and pay state taxes and apply to SIU and not accepted because you live in Chicago! Don’t get mad!

SIU is the only medical school I know that have admission office controlled by lawyers! Not medical committee! IRONIC!

The last fun fact, When it comes to residency at SIU, they take many INTERNATIONAL medical school graduates in their residency program ( Caribbean, Qatar ) !!
I know people who attend who are URM and I know physicians on the adcom. And yeah— it was chartered to help create doctors for parts of IL with fewer doctors, so not Chicago. Sure, I think it would be great if there was another state school in Chicago, but I’m not sure how training them in Springfield would be a plus. Also, not sure what’s with the IMG hate, but I know some people in residency there and lots of the programs are great and really emphasize work life balance. Also, since they pre-screen secondaries the advice “don’t waste your money” doesn’t make a ton of sense.
Not saying it’s a perfect school, but I know students and residents here who are happy and people who have matched into what they want.

Reactions: 4 users
My school does not have a Premedical Advisor or Health Professions Committee. For the question "Contact pre-professional advisor *" I just select "No, I do not authorize," correct?

Received an II today (10/15). Secondary submitted 8/10. Interest email received 9/2. ORM, Chicago suburbs, MCAT: 515

Did they say that AWPA letters would start going out this week?

FUN FACTS:

Hi! MS3 at SIU here!

"If you are an immigrant..." -> I don't see how this would matter if you're a resident of IL. Anyway, not true, we have an immigrant in our class.
"If you are a URM..." -> Blatantly not true, plenty of URM here.
"If you are NOT living in the south of IL..." -> Kind of true, but also plenty from central Illinois. Plus, we also have some students from the Chicago suburbs, and a few from out-of-state.

I don't really know what you're trying to imply by your next statements, nor do I know if your claim about lawyers running the admissions office is valid... I'm pretty sure it's medical faculty :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I know people who attend who are URM and I know physicians on the adcom. And yeah— it was chartered to help create doctors for parts of IL with fewer doctors, so not Chicago. Sure, I think it would be great if there was another state school in Chicago, but I’m not sure how training them in Springfield would be a plus. Also, not sure what’s with the IMG hate, but I know some people in residency there and lots of the programs are great and really emphasize work life balance. Also, since they pre-screen secondaries the advice “don’t waste your money” doesn’t make a ton of sense.
Not saying it’s a perfect school, but I know students and residents here who are happy and people who have matched into what they want.

First, thanks for the reply.
Second, my point that it is a state funded school, so everyone in the state should have an equal fair opportunity to get in.
I know people with high stats 515+ from Chicago area who would love to study their ( financially very cheap tuition compared to other in or out state schools ) not accepted and other students who live in the southern part of the state with way less stats get accepted. It’s not a private school, it’s public and state funded! So that’s simply not fair. Don’t consider this as a HATE for southern IL residents. I have too much respect for them.

I have all respect to IMG and your claim is completely false. But if SIU focus too much on the southern part of the state in admitting to their school, where the students that graduated go! Why they are not residents at SIU! Why SIU take IMG to fill these spots.

Adding the school to the primary is a loss of money, at least to me, I could use that money to apply somewhere else.

But if SIU focus too much on the southern part of the state in admitting to their school, where the students that graduated go! Why they are not residents at SIU! Why SIU take IMG to fill these spots.

I'm sure SIU would love their graduates to choose them for residency, but what do you want them to do? It's not like they can force them to rank SIU high on their match list. And if their residency spots aren't filled by their graduates, do you really think somebody not from the area is going to be itching to go to central Illinois for the next 3+ years of their life? So the result is a healthy dose of IMGs, just like any other non-coastal, non-big city program.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! MS3 at SIU here!

"If you are not an immigrant..." -> I don't see how this would matter if you're a resident of IL. Anyway, not true, we have an immigrant in our class.
"If you are a URM..." -> Blatantly not true, plenty of URM here.
"If you are NOT living in the south of IL..." -> Kind of true, but also plenty from central Illinois. Plus, we also have some students from the Chicago suburbs, and a few from out-of-state.

I don't really know what you're trying to imply by your next statements, nor do I know if your claim about lawyers running the admissions office is valid... I'm pretty sure it's medical faculty :oops:

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to respectfully answer some of your points.

“we have an immigrant in our class.” I’m sure you do. One immigrant or URM is considered diversity these days!

And yes I’m pretty sure there is some medical committee in the process but trust me the final decision on admission go back to lawyers.

Let me be clear here, I’m not attacking SIU students or Southern IL residents. I’m just expressing the amount of institutional discrimination from SIU based on location even though it’s a state funded school and everyone living in IL should have an equal fair chance to get in.

Wish you the best future doctor.

Dude I grew up in central/southern IL and had a ton of docs personally who are SIU MD and SIU residency. I don’t get if you’re committed to complaining why you’re spending so much time on this thread. I also personally know a bunch of people who did SIU MD and are currently residents there. An insanely small amount of your tax revenue is going to support the school, so if you’re going to complain about money in Springfield you’d probably be most productive going and complaining to the General Assembly about the myriad of other ways they spend money. Also— a ton of people who do SIU MD and a different residency come back. Go creeping on the doctors in the Springfield and Carbondale areas and you will see that

Thank you for your passionate response, dude.

I am on the same boat... got the interview invite, but haven't even had the chance to send in any dates

I am on the same boat... got the interview invite, but haven't even had the chance to send in any dates
It seems like they are sending the follow up emails a couple at a time because they schedule their interviews by hand instead of letting you choose a date in an online calendar like other schools. I got my follow up 5 weeks after the initial invite.

So I got the initial email on 9/18 and they said 4-6 weeks to hear back and I haven't yet. I have seen some people on this thread submit their primary later than I did and have already heard back. Should I take this as bad news? It's week 6 so I believe I should be hearing this week but I assumed it would be a bit earlier. Also, does pretty much everyone who receives a secondary also get an interview invite?

So I got the initial email on 9/18 and they said 4-6 weeks to hear back and I haven't yet. I have seen some people on this thread submit their primary later than I did and have already heard back. Should I take this as bad news? It's week 6 so I believe I should be hearing this week but I assumed it would be a bit earlier. Also, does pretty much everyone who receives a secondary also get an interview invite?

They'll most likely respond on the last day of the 6 weeks, or by the end of that week. No, they don't, but given how they screen their secondary, it would seem that they do interview plenty of people who get a secondary. You've waited this long, whats a few more days lol

do you mean you got the initial interview email on 9/18? It took two months after my initial interview invite email for them to actually ask me my availability for dates.

do you mean you got the initial interview email on 9/18? It took two months after my initial interview invite email for them to actually ask me my availability for dates.
i mean the initial email acknowledging they received my primary

Received the secondary invite today. How long does it take after sending in the secondary for them to reject or extend an II? Also, are the II's only in-person or online as well?

Received the secondary invite today. How long does it take after sending in the secondary for them to reject or extend an II? Also, are the II's only in-person or online as well?

I feel like it was a little over a month until I got my interview invite. Only virtual as of now.

can anyone tell me what AWPA means? I am an ignorant scrub sry :cryi:

can anyone tell me what AWPA means? I am an ignorant scrub sry :cryi:
It's okay! It is an abbreviation unique to SIU among the other 100 abbreviations used when applying to medical schools lol.

AWPA = Accept when place available. Everyone who may later be accepted gets that to start. They send batches of acceptances in December, January, and February until they fill their class. If people decline, they start going further down their AWPA list. I guess a handful of people never make it off that list each year.

• Wow
It's okay! It is an abbreviation unique to SIU among the other 100 abbreviations used when applying to medical schools lol.

AWPA = Accept when place available. Everyone who may later be accepted gets that to start. They send batches of acceptances in December, January, and February until they fill their class. If people decline, they start going further down their AWPA list. I guess a handful of people never make it off that list each year.
Ahh super interesting, thank you! Another dumb question here. For sending the $75 fee... do I just straight up put the check in an envelope and send to their mailing address? Should I write my AMCAS ID number somewhere (do we need a cover letter for this?) or will my mailing address be enough for them to know whose application it is? Edit: I'm just going to put my AMCAS ID on the memo line of the check, hopefully that'll do it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users