-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Southern Illinois
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
My roomie got a II a while back, was able to schedule today for the first week of december in case anyone is wondering.
Same here! Just got my date confirmed for early November. I feel like this whole interview cycle with SIU has been really unstructured, I’m kind of feeling let down about it.
bigshockshawn
Full Member
II Monday morning from here! Really excited to have a chance to see what this school is like cause I have no idea what to expect at all from a school like this.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long did it take for SIU to schedule your interviews? (As in when did you email them with your schedule and how long did it take them to respond) And did they say certain dates were already full?
9/2: II
10/8: SIU reached out to schedule it/I sent in my four dates
10/12: Confirmation that they received my email
10/15: SIU said my dates had been taken and told me their next free week/I sent new dates
10/19: They confirmed my date (11/5 - earliest day they had available)
10/22: Confirmation of interview
11/5: Interview
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
9/2: II
10/8: SIU reached out to schedule it/I sent in my four dates
10/12: Confirmation that they received my email
10/15: SIU said my dates had been taken and told me their next free week/I sent new dates
10/19: They confirmed my date (11/5 - earliest day they had available)
10/22: Confirmation of interview
11/5: Interview
It didn’t take them too long to reply when I sent them my available dates — I sent A LOT! But it took a lot of time between the interview invite and when they ask me about my availability.
IAintNeverSeen2Pretty...
Full Member
Is there a particular day of the week/month where the school looks at primaries?
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
For those who have interviewed, how was the day like? I have mine tomorrow!
My date is coming up too! Please share any tips, I feel like the information I've gotten from SIU is so minimal and kind of scares me since it's one of my top choices.
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
For those who have interviewed, how was the day like? I have mine tomorrow!
ps. good luck 🙂
I do not know, but I received my secondary invite on a Friday. Maybe others could chime in.Is there a particular day of the week/month where the school looks at primaries?
sredna4
Full Member
My date is coming up too! Please share any tips, I feel like the information I've gotten from SIU is so minimal and kind of scares me since it's one of my top choices.
I felt like my interview day was pretty laid back. Everyone was very friendly and I liked the small school vibe. The interviews are standard format, one is with a faculty member and one is with an adcom member (mine was an MS4). I imagine they will review their curriculum more in-depth on interview day (I had a tour in person, so I'm not exactly sure how that will translate virtually). Still, their PBL curriculum is unique and one of their best features, so I would check that out on their website. Of course know your app well, motivations for going to SIU/practicing in central/Southern Illinois, and just relax! Best of luck y'all 🙂
If you're doing virtual, it's just the interviews. Both of mine were with faculty, but one was more detailed and the other was shorter and with more general questions (probably closed file).For those who have interviewed, how was the day like? I have mine tomorrow!
sredna4
Full Member
Yes, my two interviews went similarly. One just seemed like they wanted to see how I was as a person/how I communicate with others.If you're doing virtual, it's just the interviews. Both of mine were with faculty, but one was more detailed and the other was shorter and with more general questions (probably closed file).
ice cheems
Full Member
Received an II this morning, so thrilled! They’re now scheduling interviews for January 6th through February 26th.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
Yeah, it’s been a crazy application season, especially with SIU. I just feel like maybe they haven’t been as organized and professional about it as other schools? As far as dates go, do remember they have winter break, and they won’t be conducting interviews during those dates.Hey guys,
So they just sent me my interview date today...and its mid January...wut lol. Are all other dates full or something, that's crazy. I told them I free all of December except like two dates and free a few days in end of December
sredna4
Full Member
That is my understanding! However, it was slightly unclear to me whether it would be the beginning of December, so just sometime in December.Does anyone know when the first wave off AWPA to acceptances goes out? Is it first week of December?
ice cheems
Full Member
They don't seem to be holding many interviews in December, in fact they said in an email that they aren't holding any at all December 21st through January 5th due to Winter Break.Hey guys,
So they just sent me my interview date today...and its mid January...wut lol. Are all other dates full or something, that's crazy. I told them I free all of December except like two dates and free a few days in end of November
I got my A today - interviewed 11/5! Never was placed on AWPA status, probably because I interviewed close enough to the first acceptance batch.
I got my A today - interviewed 11/5! Never was placed on AWPA status, probably because I interviewed close enough to the first acceptance batch.
Congrats!!! When was you file presented? And did you get the news via mail or email?
Thank you 🙂 What do you mean by file presented? Like when the committee talked about my file? I wasn't given any information about that. If you mean something else, I gave my timeline from II to interview in an earlier post if you scroll up. The news was given via email but they said there will be something in the mail soon.Congrats!!! When was you file presented? And did you get the news via mail or email?
I also got an A yesterday! I interviewed in-person on 9/29!!
IAintNeverSeen2Pretty...
Full Member
II received this morning as well!II received just now! They just shifted to all virtual, so I am a little nervous about how my performance in a virtual interview will be compared to those who got to interview in person.
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
II received just now! They just shifted to all virtual, so I am a little nervous about how my performance in a virtual interview will be compared to those who got to interview in person.
II received this morning as well!
I think they've been having them virtual for a few weeks now, you'll do great regardless!
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
Has anyone heard anything from Dec. 15th?
bigshockshawn
Full Member
FYI for anyone just receiving II’s it took them about a month to get back to me to confirm the interview date, so if you’re thinking they forgot about you they most likely didn’t.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ice cheems
Full Member
+1, took a long time to schedule mine tooFYI for anyone just receiving II’s it took them about a month to get back to me to confirm the interview date, so if you’re thinking they forgot about you they most likely didn’t.
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
Got my AWPA from my late November interview!
ice cheems
Full Member
Anyone who has had their virtual interviews, what was the day like? Mine are scheduled 4 hours apart but I'm assuming they don't take longer than half an hour each, so is there just a several-hour gap in between interviews?If you're doing virtual, it's just the interviews. Both of mine were with faculty, but one was more detailed and the other was shorter and with more general questions (probably closed file).
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
Yes! I had my interview in early November and it was just two online interviews and nothing else. You can watch all the presentations they send to your email on your own timeAnyone who has had their virtual interviews, what was the day like? Mine are scheduled 4 hours apart but I'm assuming they don't take longer than half an hour each, so is there just a several-hour gap in between interviews?
ice cheems
Full Member
Sweeet I actually really like that! It'll be nice to have a break to relax, get some food, and prep for the next interview.Yes! I had my interview in early November and it was just two online interviews and nothing else. You can watch all the presentations they send to your email on your own time
I had one early morning that lasted an hour and the second one in the afternoon that was ~30 minutes. Pretty sure, I changed back into my pj's and then just ate breakfast and scrolled through Twitter.Anyone who has had their virtual interviews, what was the day like? Mine are scheduled 4 hours apart but I'm assuming they don't take longer than half an hour each, so is there just a several-hour gap in between interviews?
cdotson
New Member
Did anyone else get an email after their interview saying they would make their decisions on Dec 15? It said they would send a letter by US mail but I still haven't gotten mine and I think they are sending a letter no matter their decision (accepted or denied). Just wondering if anyone got the same thing and is also still waiting!
Lockett4521
New Member
Are all the interviews being scheduled virtually now? Or does the admissions office choose for the applicant either in person or online?
All interviews are virtual nowAre all the interviews being scheduled virtually now? Or does the admissions office choose for the applicant either in person or online?
NeedAnotherNap
Full Member
Right! So on my interview day I just had my two meetings with my interviewersHey guys,
Just wondering, there wasn't like a welcome thing before the interviews right? its just the welcome email?
I think there’s some links to videos with a welcome message and financial aid session if I’m not mistaken. But the interview day was just two interviews.Hey guys,
Just wondering, there wasn't like a welcome thing before the interviews right? its just the welcome email?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It has now been a month since I sent them my availability for interviews and they haven't gotten back to me yet. Do you guys think it is possible that they filled all their seats and are canceling my interview?
It took me three weeks to receive a confirmed date. Plus, Weren’t you originally on the Screeners Alternate list? Perhaps their priority is scheduling those with outright IIs & then scheduling those that were on the screeners alternate. Not sure if this is the case, just seems logical.
I got an official interview invite, but yes I was originally on the screeners alternate list. That could be the case, I was just getting nervous because of how late it is in the cycle. I was wondering if schools ever take back interview invites if all their seats fill. To be honest, I am the first in my family to pursue medicine so I am learning the process as I goIt took me three weeks to receive a confirmed date. Plus, Weren’t you originally on the Screeners Alternate list? Perhaps their priority is scheduling those with outright IIs & then scheduling those that were on the screeners alternate. Not sure if this is the case, just seems logical.
IAintNeverSeen2Pretty...
Full Member
They told me in December that they were scheduling for the week of 1/18. I gave them my dates (completely open), and didn't hear anything, so I sent them an email to let them know I have another interview at another school now, and I just wanted to update my availability. I then got an email saying that they were booked out until February. I honestly think they may have forgotten about me.I got an official interview invite, but yes I was originally on the screeners alternate list. That could be the case, I was just getting nervous because of how late it is in the cycle. I was wondering if schools ever take back interview invites if all their seats fill. To be honest, I am the first in my family to pursue medicine so I am learning the process as I go
Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. This is definitely a very difficult cycle for everyone involved. I'm sure they haven't forgotten about you though. I do know that they said rescheduling could cause delays so maybe that is all it is and you will get your date soonThey told me in December that they were scheduling for the week of 1/18. I gave them my dates (completely open), and didn't hear anything, so I sent them an email to let them know I have another interview at another school now, and I just wanted to update my availability. I then got an email saying that they were booked out until February. I honestly think they may have forgotten about me.