2020-2021 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just attended USUHS's virtual open house. I've included some of the information below:

- CPT Liotta confirmed that interviews will most likely be virtual (not set but more likely than not). Interview day will comprise of a packet of videos to watch that will encompass the campus tour and school background. There will be two 30 minute interviews and a Q&A session with current students.
- Interviews will still start in September
- Secondary questions are posted here:
  1. Medicine and Officership are time-honored professions that unite at “America’s Medical School” in rewarding and challenging ways. What are your thoughts and impressions about serving as a uniformed medical corps officer, and why do you want to pursue this career path? (1500 character limit)
  2. The Uniformed Services University features a unique curriculum that prepares students to care for those in harm’s way. Please describe what in your research about our school and its values attracts you to our institution’s mission and approach. (1500 character limit)
  3. USU strives to be a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Our Admissions Committee assembles classes of students with a wide range of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and talents. Please describe how a special quality or experience of yours will help you participate effectively in this environment. (1500 character limit)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, MS4 at USU. Let me know if you have any questions. Taking Step 2 CK tomorrow—heading out for rotations next week. Will try and get back to you!
Can confirm interviews will be virtual.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the clerkships all done at the same hospital or do we have rotate around?

Are the clerkships all done at the same hospital or do we have rotate around?
There are opportunities to “homestead” and stay at one location for 3 blocks. Clerkship year has 3 blocks- psych and IM together, FM and Peds, and Surgery and OB/gyb. Surg/OB is always homesteaded, so you will be at the same site for 15 weeks. For the other two, you can choose to homestead and stay in the same location, or you can do each 5 week rotation in a different place.

some people homestead the whole year, and others choose to put their stuff in storage and travel every 5 weeks. There are pros and cons to both!

some people with families try and stay in the local area, and others bring their family with them.

you still get bethesda bah while on rotations, and you are still given lodging and per diem where ever you rotate.

the whole thing is through a lottery system, but student affairs works with individuals who have extenuating circumstances.

I’m not sure how/if covid will affect everything. I know they are encouraging homesteading right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, MS4 at USU. Let me know if you have any questions. Taking Step 2 CK tomorrow—heading out for rotations next week. Will try and get back to you!
Can confirm interviews will be virtual.

Do you have any classmates that are PHS who'd be willing to talk to someone interested in the PHS? The other armed forces look great, but I'm in love with the Public Health Service. There isn't too much information about it on the website (that I could find).

Do you have any classmates that are PHS who'd be willing to talk to someone interested in the PHS? The other armed forces look great, but I'm in love with the Public Health Service. There isn't too much information about it on the website (that I could find).

There are some individuals listed on this page: Uniformed Services University

But feel free to PM me your email address and I can put you in touch with some of my 4th year classmates.

I'm reapplying to this school, so can't wait for the secondary. Got a pre interview hold last time, so hopefully I make it farther this cycle! I think something that I've improved from last time is my writing skills and my research into the school. Just have a better idea of what I'm getting into and what I want I guess.

There are opportunities to “homestead” and stay at one location for 3 blocks. Clerkship year has 3 blocks- psych and IM together, FM and Peds, and Surgery and OB/gyb. Surg/OB is always homesteaded, so you will be at the same site for 15 weeks. For the other two, you can choose to homestead and stay in the same location, or you can do each 5 week rotation in a different place.

some people homestead the whole year, and others choose to put their stuff in storage and travel every 5 weeks. There are pros and cons to both!

some people with families try and stay in the local area, and others bring their family with them.

you still get bethesda bah while on rotations, and you are still given lodging and per diem where ever you rotate.

the whole thing is through a lottery system, but student affairs works with individuals who have extenuating circumstances.

I’m not sure how/if covid will affect everything. I know they are encouraging homesteading right now.

We did our lottery the same way as previous years. I got two of my blocks as singles no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
what kind of interesting experience did you get to do over the summer?

Covid forced them all to be canceled unfortunately. The majority of the class is doing a leadership and military history exercise that was largely set up by the students. The school felt bad that we got shorted on the SOE, so they gave us a lot of say in what we are doing instead.

But I’m actually just doing research instead. Probably like 10 of us are using the 2 weeks as a research block.

Covid forced them all to be canceled unfortunately. The majority of the class is doing a leadership and military history exercise that was largely set up by the students. The school felt bad that we got shorted on the SOE, so they gave us a lot of say in what we are doing instead.

But I’m actually just doing research instead. Probably like 10 of us are using the 2 weeks as a research block.
How did you start your research? Did you just reach out to professors/local researchers at NIH or was there a list provided to students who were interested.

How did you start your research? Did you just reach out to professors/local researchers at NIH or was there a list provided to students who were interested.

I joined the pathology interest group as part of the leadership, and the faculty advisor brought us a case to write up as a case report. It gave me an idea for a bigger project, so I approached him to ask if he would be my PI and he said yes.

Some interest groups have lists of faculty members who will take on med students for research. You can also just email or ask faculty members.

Holy crap. I’m an MS2 now. Happy to answer questions.

Hi Mathew, thank you for taking time out to answer questions for us! I have a barrage of ones I wanted to ask since military medicine is just so unique.

- How branch selection works? Does it start from your secondary application or only once you get accepted?
- Are medical waivers given out sometimes? I've got hallux valgus, and I'd hate to be dropped from an acceptance because of this. This one actually concerns me the most :nailbiting:
- When it comes to citizenship, what happens to dual citizens? From my research, I'm getting some conflicting information. I've got Canadian citizenship and some are saying you can keep it since Canada is a closely allied country and others are saying officers have to drop all other citizenships.

Thank you!

Hi Mathew, thank you for taking time out to answer questions for us! I have a barrage of ones I wanted to ask since military medicine is just so unique.

- How branch selection works? Does it start from your secondary application or only once you get accepted?

It starts when you get invited for an interview. One of the forms you’ll receive is a branch selection form where you will list the branches in order of preference.

- Are medical waivers given out sometimes? I've got hallux valgus, and I'd hate to be dropped from an acceptance because of this. This one actually concerns me the most :nailbiting:

Yes, they give medical waivers. For hallux valgus, it will depend on your specific situation. Do you require cortisone shots? Have you had treatment and are asymptomatic? You’re more likely to get a waiver if you’re asymptomatic.

- When it comes to citizenship, what happens to dual citizens? From my research, I'm getting some conflicting information. I've got Canadian citizenship and some are saying you can keep it since Canada is a closely allied country and others are saying officers have to drop all other citizenships.

Thank you!

Generally, you cannot have a foreign passport and be a commissioned officer. You will have to surrender that and will likely be required to submit a statement that you are willing to relinquish your dual citizenship. Whether they require you to or not is a different story. I have heard of folks not being required to depending on the country, but I also know folks who have had to.

Thank you so much! All of that makes sense.

For the hallux valgus, no I don't get shots. I went to see a podiatrist about it and got some orthotics, otherwise I run 5km semi regularly without any problems.

Thank you so much! All of that makes sense.

For the hallux valgus, no I don't get shots. I went to see a podiatrist about it and got some orthotics, otherwise I run 5km semi regularly without any problems.

I would just go for it then. You might need something from a doctor saying you are good to go with no limitations.

Where can we find that list of military residencies positions that were available from the years prior? Specifically for Army and Air Force

Where can we find that list of military residencies positions that were available from the years prior? Specifically for Army and Air Force

You can google and look for the messages that have the spots, but they literally change year to year so you can’t really take much from them.

Hello again! At USUHS, do you know anyone that was from either the guards or the reserves? I noticed that for the Class of 2019, there were only 2 reservists, so I was wondering if the prior-service students are primarily from active duty.

Hello again! At USUHS, do you know anyone that was from either the guards or the reserves? I noticed that for the Class of 2019, there were only 2 reservists, so I was wondering if the prior-service students are primarily from active duty.

We have a couple prior reservists. The majority are prior active duty. A lot of what they call prior service are actually academy grads. Only about 20% of the class give or take actually has what we call fleet experience in the Navy.

Reactions: 1 users
Again, thank you- that's interesting. I didn't know the admissions group academy grads into prior service as well. I asked because it seemed like most or all prior servicemembers at the school have been downrange at some point or had other extensive military experience. And as a reservist, I feel closer to being a regular student applying rather than as a military applicant.

Oof! I already wrote for the previous version. Thank you!
Hey!! The words might have changed some, but the questions still boil down to the same thing

1- why are you choosing military medicine
2-why you want to go to usuhs
3-why should usuhs pick you

Reactions: 2 users
Hey!! The words might have changed some, but the questions still boil down to the same thing

1- why are you choosing military medicine
2-why you want to go to usuhs
3-why should usuhs pick you

Thank you! I thought the questions still changed subtly, so I still ended up revising a bit.

Hey guys!

Would anyone be willing to look over my secondary essays for this school? I know some of you might be too busy especially around this time in the cycle so I totally understand but I would really appreciate it!

Hey guys!

Would anyone be willing to look over my secondary essays for this school? I know some of you might be too busy especially around this time in the cycle so I totally understand but I would really appreciate it!
Hey! I'll be finishing up mine this week so if you want to trade Thursday/Friday I'd be glad to take a look at yours.

Does anyone know if the application will be reviewed without MCAT score for this cycle? I think that's what I heard during the virtual open house, but my school won't provide me the committee letter without an MCAT score... So I guess it doesn't really matter for me.

I have a friend whose parents both attended USUHS. They have known me personally for a long time and I have worked with one as a scribe for about 40 hours. I am considering asking her for a letter of recommendation (to send only to USUHS) since she is an alum and has some experience with me professionally. Is this a bad idea since the majority of our relationship has been outside of work? I'd appreciate any feedback!

I have a friend whose parents both attended USUHS. They have known me personally for a long time and I have worked with one as a scribe for about 40 hours. I am considering asking her for a letter of recommendation (to send only to USUHS) since she is an alum and has some experience with me professionally. Is this a bad idea since the majority of our relationship has been outside of work? I'd appreciate any feedback!

I think that would make for a fantastic letter. Not only have you worked with her professionally but she knows you well personally. The fact that she can speak to both is great (assuming you're a stellar person)!

That will be a nice letter to have. May be more valuable when it comes to your essays as it will give you some actual perspective on military medicine assuming you have taken the time to learn from these docs you know. I had letters from a few military docs who I happened to work alongside between undergrad and USUHS. The letters were great and I’m sure they helped me out. But the the real value in working alongside military docs was that I was able to pick their brains, hear stories and decide that it was a good fit for me. Good luck!

Anyone have an estimate regarding the secondary timeline for USUHS this year? I know AMCAS transmits data today (7/10). Maybe 2-4 weeks from now if we pass the initial screens?

Anyone have an estimate regarding the secondary timeline for USUHS this year? I know AMCAS transmits data today (7/10). Maybe 2-4 weeks from now if we pass the initial screens?
Looking at last year's thread it looks like they sent out secondaries same day as transmission, but who knows with Covid.

Just received secondary invitation

I have a question regarding ADHD medications and admissions to USUHS. I am prescribed ADHD meds. I understand this is an issue at USUHS. I can definitely manage without them if needed. If I stop these meds now, for the whole year leading up to matriculation, is that fine? Or would I still not be able to be considered?

Per the DoDI, no meds for 24 months is required, but you can still try for a waiver. No guarantee it would be granted though.

2021 Secondary (@TheDataKing )

1. Medicine and Officership are time-honored professions that unite at “America’s Medical School” in rewarding and challenging ways. What are your thoughts and impressions about serving as a uniformed medical corps officer, and why do you want to pursue this career path? (1500 Character Limit)
2. The Uniformed Services University features a unique curriculum that prepares students to care for those in harm’s way. Please describe what in your research about our school and its values attracts you to our institution’s mission and approach. (1500 Character Limit)
3. USU strives to be a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Our Admissions Committee assembles classes of students with a wide range of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and talents. Please describe how a special quality or experience of yours will help you participate effectively in this environment. (1500 Character Limit)
Were there any significant disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in reviewing your application?

How will the physical and fitness test work? The applicant portal claims that physical exams will be scheduled when applicants are invited for interviews. Should we expect to complete them before or after the interview? Or do we take the fitness test sometime later?

How will the physical and fitness test work? The applicant portal claims that physical exams will be scheduled when applicants are invited for interviews. Should we expect to complete them before or after the interview? Or do we take the fitness test sometime later?
If you're invited for interview you'll get information regarding scheduling a physical. It's just a cursory physical exam and you fill out forms regarding your health status/past medical history/medications. You won't have to run until OCS.

Any fellow weaklings (or strong people) have any tips for getting up to speed on upper body stuff? I haven't been able to do a real pushup since high school and am determined to get it this summer. I'm a runner and am fine for the sit-ups portion of the test, just have a really bad case of spaghetti noodle arms! Help me?

• Haha
Any fellow weaklings (or strong people) have any tips for getting up to speed on upper body stuff? I haven't been able to do a real pushup since high school and am determined to get it this summer. I'm a runner and am fine for the sit-ups portion of the test, just have a really bad case of spaghetti noodle arms! Help me?

Just do them every day. You can do what I’ve done in the past which is every hour do push-ups. So like start out with 5 or however many you can do. Every hour during the regular day (so like 8-4) do that many pushups. Do that Monday to Friday, then add another push-up the next week. Just keep doing that until you hit what you need.

Reactions: 2 users