2020-2021 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for that info. I have seen this on google, but I was asking if anyone knew the official test criteria because every link has different information.

Some have push-ups and sit-ups out of 1 minute, some have it out of 2 mins. Do you know which we will be doing?
If you have a link that’d be great.
1-min sit-ups
1-min push-ups
1.5 mile timed run

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Gentlemen/women I believe that the email by Captain, Dr. Liotta today revealed that DCC is not a requirement to matriculation for entering Fall 2021. Considering the circumstances of COVID 19 delaying officer training for many, he states this in the email:

“With the exception of those who are prior officers, ROTC graduates, or Service Academy graduates, everyone is expected to attend these training courses prior to the start of orientation on August 2nd; however, don't be alarmed if we can't get you into training this summer. For those who miss the summer training, we will ensure you are fully oriented to USU and life in the military when you arrive in July and begin orientation on Monday August 2nd. For our Army Students in the 2nd DCC Class who will be reporting to USU after the completion of training on 16 August our Office of Student Affairs and Company Commanders are already working on ways to streamline your orientation so that you all will be ready to start the 1st Official Day of classes on Monday August 23rd”.

Based on the email I will assume that some accepted students won’t be able to attend summer officer training. They’ll do it another Summer, kinda like BOLC for HPSP students. They’ll report to USU for orientation.

Last edited:
Gentlemen/women I believe that the email by Captain, Dr. Liotta today revealed that DCC is not a requirement to matriculation for entering Fall 2021. Considering the circumstances of COVID 19 delaying officer training for many, he states this in the email:

“With the exception of those who are prior officers, ROTC graduates, or Service Academy graduates, everyone is expected to attend these training courses prior to the start of orientation on August 2nd; however, don't be alarmed if we can't get you into training this summer. For those who miss the summer training, we will ensure you are fully oriented to USU and life in the military when you arrive in July and begin orientation on Monday August 2nd. For our Army Students in the 2nd DCC Class who will be reporting to USU after the completion of training on 16 August our Office of Student Affairs and Company Commanders are already working on ways to streamline your orientation so that you all will be ready to start the 1st Official Day of classes on Monday August 23rd”.

Based on the email I will assume that some accepted students won’t be able to attend summer officer training. They’ll do it another Summer, kinda like BOLC for HPSP students. They’ll report to USU for orientation.

Yes. Like I said, this happens every single year. Don’t stress.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's up folks! Hope everyone is hanging in there, has anyone heard of any movement on the waitlist?

Reactions: 3 users
Making sure I did not miss anything: did everyone else pay $35 for fingerprinting?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all-- I will be applying to USUHS this 2021-2022 cycle. I registered to attend their open house in June, but have yet to hear any type of response from the 3 email contacts, and all phone numbers lead to same out-of-office/WFH deferment. A bit perplexing and frustrating that I cannot seem to get ahold of anyone. Any advice on a more responsive contact I can reach out to? Thanks!

Ugh, this is nerve-racking and disappointing, waitlisted Jan 21, ranked Army 1st. Still waiting on final decision at this time.
I got the call this morning!!! Prior-service Army (currently in Reserves) and I put Army as my first choice so I am guessing it is Army, Dr. Liotta didn't specify. I was told I will get the email in a day or so.

It is definitely been a nerve-wrecking month and even the past few weeks thinking I had lost my second chance since I am a re-applicant this cycle. In case this helps anyone else waiting on the waitlist, I sent three different update letters since my interview; one status update 1 month after interview, one status/activity update after 2.5 months after waitlist decision, and the last one was a new Letter of Recommendation this past Friday. I think the letter might have helped a lot (since the decision came the next business day after) but it's hard to know for sure (I just finished my Company XO/Battalion staff duties and my CO told me he wrote me a strong letter).

I definitely thought I was being a little too persistent, but I guess the frequency of the update letters did not hurt my overall chances.

Reactions: 10 users
For those of you who got the call, was the area code always Bethesda? Has anyone received a DC number?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all-- I will be applying to USUHS this 2021-2022 cycle. I registered to attend their open house in June, but have yet to hear any type of response from the 3 email contacts, and all phone numbers lead to same out-of-office/WFH deferment. A bit perplexing and frustrating that I cannot seem to get ahold of anyone. Any advice on a more responsive contact I can reach out to? Thanks!
If its virtual, you should receive an email a couple days before. But they are no longer holding in-person open houses to my knowledge. Back in January, I signed up for an in-person one scheduled for March, and they never informed me that it was cancelled until I emailed them. To be fair, I signed up through the google sheet that could have been outdated.

Has anyone heard of more Navy movement?
Hello, I spoke with someone at USUHS and they said the waitlist isn't moving very much this year. It seems that other schools are experiencing this as well. One of my accepted schools sent an email saying that, for the first time they over-accepted students and are asking people to defer. lol

Hello, I spoke with someone at USUHS and they said the waitlist isn't moving very much this year. It seems that other schools are experiencing this as well. One of my accepted schools sent an email saying that, for the first time they over-accepted students and are asking people to defer. lol
Yeah, I've been reading through threads from previous years and have noticed that waitlist movement for this year is considerably slower. This pandemic caused a 20-40% increase in the number of medical school applicants (coined "The Fauci Effect"). I'm still holding onto hope but I'm working on the 2022 cycle application. I applied late last cycle but I'm glad that I got to meet and talk to so many amazing people affiliated with USU!

Does anyone have any tips on reapplication? Should my essays be completely different or do I just need to polish them up and change a few things?

Yeah, I've been reading through threads from previous years and have noticed that waitlist movement for this year is considerably slower. This pandemic caused a 20-40% increase in the number of medical school applicants (coined "The Fauci Effect"). I'm still holding onto hope but I'm working on the 2022 cycle application. I applied late last cycle but I'm glad that I got to meet and talk to so many amazing people affiliated with USU!

Does anyone have any tips on reapplication? Should my essays be completely different or do I just need to polish them up and change a few things?

Hey! I was a successful reapplicant at USUHS and I completely rewrote all of my essays

Reactions: 2 users

Side note, if you're really interested in USUHS as your top choice, you can try to reach out to CAPT Liotta to see if he'd be willing to provide some feedback on your application and what you can do to improve for the next app cycle. He's definitely super supportive. Around the 1st-2nd week of June is a good time to reach out.

Side note, if you're really interested in USUHS as your top choice, you can try to reach out to CAPT Liotta to see if he'd be willing to provide some feedback on your application and what you can do to improve for the next app cycle. He's definitely super supportive. Around the 1st-2nd week of June is a good time to reach out.
Ok perfect! I only applied to USU (albeit late) so any feedback would be amazing. Thanks for the advice!

Ok perfect! I only applied to USU (albeit late) so any feedback would be amazing. Thanks for the advice!

yeah...if possible apply early, I think USU really does do the rolling thing so earlier the better. Then see if you can speak with CAPT Liotta on where you can focus in on, and what weaknesses in your application you can improve upon.

Reactions: 1 users
One more question: Should I directly email Captain Liotta himself or just the Admissions Committee? Or should I try calling?

Edit: I emailed Captain Liotta and he scheduled a meeting with me!

Last edited:
I just got the call an hour ago for Navy!!! I’m speechless and so excited to see some of y’all this fall! Good luck to everyone else waiting! It’s not over yet!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
For those who are current USUHS medical students or alumni would you recommend taking out a Career starter loan? I heard it takes several months for you to actually start receiving payment?

For those who are current USUHS medical students or alumni would you recommend taking out a Career starter loan? I heard it takes several months for you to actually start receiving payment?

It can be painful starting to get paid. In our class, only a handful of people didn’t have pay issues. The career starter loan is nice. It’s $25k with an extremely low interest rate that you don’t start paying back for a year. But you have a year from your commission date to take it out, so you could always see if you start getting paid on time and then take it out if you need it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Did everyone who is still on the primary waitlist get an email today indicating "low chances" of being admitted this cycle? Is this the end of the road?

Hi! Did everyone who is still on the primary waitlist get an email today indicating "low chances" of being admitted this cycle? Is this the end of the road?
It isn't technically the end of the road as the cycle will continue until late July-early August but the chances of getting in at this point in time are slim to none. I talked to Capt. Liotta and he mentioned that the Army might have 1-2 more spots to offer (as of two weeks ago) but the Navy was super competitive this year and he doesn't see any more spots opening up. No mention of the Air Force but they're probably also on the same boat (haha) as the Navy.

If you haven't already but plan to reapply, submit your 2021-2022 primaries ASAP. Your 2020-2021 application will still be active until August (they'll send you a letter) and you do not need to withdraw anything.

Last edited:
It isn't technically the end of the road as the cycle will continue until late July-early August but the chances of getting in at this point in time are slim to none. I talked to Capt. Liotta and he mentioned that the Army might have 1-2 more spots to offer (as of two weeks ago) but the Navy was super competitive this year and he doesn't see any more spots opening up. No mention of the Air Force but they're probably also on the same boat (haha) as the Navy.

If you haven't already but plan to reapply, submit your 2021-2022 primaries ASAP. Your 2020-2021 application will still be active until August (they'll send you a letter) and you do not need to withdraw anything.
Thank you for your response! This admissions cycle has been brutal.

Hey all, MS4 at USU. Let me know if you have any questions. Taking Step 2 CK tomorrow—heading out for rotations next week. Will try and get back to you!
Can confirm interviews will be virtual.
Hello
Should I send a letter of intent.I really want to attend this school