2021-2022 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will they be posting which number they are on for the alt list on our portal?
I don't exactly remember because I last applied 2 years ago, but 95% sure they update the portal with the number they're on daily once they get that up and running in mid-late May

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Alternate list somewhere between ~10-20. Stats for those interested: LM 72, OOS w/ Oregon Heritage, first time applicant. Interviewed November, placed on hold December.

Attached is a waitlist trends spreadsheet I found on a previous year's SDN thread, so I can't claim it is 100% real/accurate. Seems to be large year-to-year variability, and can end up taking up to #30 - #70 or higher. Last year the list seemed to move unusually slow and wasn't at #20 until mid-July. Hopefully, that was due to the 140 class size cap and this year with the purported return to 150 things move faster. Best of luck to all my fellow wait-listers.
In 2020, I was a reapplicant and assigned #48 on the waitlist, the last admitted on the 1st day of class (Aug. 10th?). I started at PNW the week before. Fortunately I stalled on commitment to their financial aid. Good luck to all on this long journey.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I would love it if anyone M1/2/3/4 … can share details on this site too.
I am happy to provide my opinion or answer any questions about OHSU or Portland either in this group thread or via direct message for anyone that needs anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
9C0E4390-8CEB-4BCB-9451-B01F599CEF5D.jpeg

Me selecting “remain on alternate list” for the 6th time today without knowing if it updated in the portal or not

Reactions: 3 users
I emailed them this morning, and said they’re checking on it now, I’ll let y’all know what they say

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I just wanted to let you all know I’m #6 and was just accepted so they’re moving pretty fast

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
They've accepted through #14 so far!! Hope it continues to move fast 🤞

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
My portal updated today to stay on the AL, think they got it fixed!

I am happy to provide my opinion or answer any questions about OHSU or Portland either in this group thread or via direct message for anyone that needs anything.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions.

One imp question is about Rural health program. Is that a requirement? How long?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions.

One imp question is about Rural health program. Is that a requirement? How long?
No problem, happy to help.

As far as rural requirements go, OHSU has a requirement for graduation that all med students (as far as I am aware) must complete a rural rotation. This can either be for one of your core clinical rotations (fam med, IM, surgery, etc.) if you secure a rural site or an elective rotation. Rotations are generally 4-weeks in length, though some may be "continuity" electives and be longer (and you'll need to complete one continuity for graduation requirements as well) and some are occasionally shorter 2-week electives. Once your (likely) 4-week rural rotation is complete, you have checked the rural rotation box for graduation purposes.

If you are referring to a specific rural health program, I am somewhat aware of two. One is the Scholars for Healthy Oregon Initiative (SHOI). This is an optional program for Oregon residents/heritage students interested in working in a rural/underserved location following training. They provide you free education (not sure if that includes housing but the wording on the website makes me think they do not) and in return you owe however many years they supported you plus one additional year. The other is the Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Scholars program. From what little I understand of it, this one is a two-year optional program that doesn't come with any financial benefits but gives extra experience in rural and underserved locations for those interested in pursuing a career in locations that want more training in those areas. Both again, both of these are optional.

No problem, happy to help.

As far as rural requirements go, OHSU has a requirement for graduation that all med students (as far as I am aware) must complete a rural rotation. This can either be for one of your core clinical rotations (fam med, IM, surgery, etc.) if you secure a rural site or an elective rotation. Rotations are generally 4-weeks in length, though some may be "continuity" electives and be longer (and you'll need to complete one continuity for graduation requirements as well) and some are occasionally shorter 2-week electives. Once your (likely) 4-week rural rotation is complete, you have checked the rural rotation box for graduation purposes.

If you are referring to a specific rural health program, I am somewhat aware of two. One is the Scholars for Healthy Oregon Initiative (SHOI). This is an optional program for Oregon residents/heritage students interested in working in a rural/underserved location following training. They provide you free education (not sure if that includes housing but the wording on the website makes me think they do not) and in return you owe however many years they supported you plus one additional year. The other is the Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Scholars program. From what little I understand of it, this one is a two-year optional program that doesn't come with any financial benefits but gives extra experience in rural and underserved locations for those interested in pursuing a career in locations that want more training in those areas. Both again, both of these are optional.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Does anyone know how long you have to accept/commit if you are offered admission off the waitlist?

Does anyone know why so many people why accepted on Monday, and then nothing yesterday? I think someone mentioned that they usually update the portal once daily, which in past years did not start until mid-May. Do we think that this initial movement is not going to continue this week?

Edit--- Just saw that they updated the portal through #15. So I guess they are slowing down now following the PTE deadline.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why so many people why accepted on Monday, and then nothing yesterday? I think someone mentioned that they usually update the portal once daily, which in past years did not start until mid-May. Do we think that this initial movement is not going to continue this week?

Edit--- Just saw that they updated the portal through #15. So I guess they are slowing down now following the PTE deadline.
Yeah, past years show an initial big jump then kind of a trickle after that. Usually the portal isn't up until Mid-may like you said, which probably captures all those who withdraw from their offer due to the PTE deadline. In 2019 (if we're going by the spreadsheets) the first day the portal was up was at 28, then basically it was 0-2 people per day until they reached the max number for that year.

I'm not savvy with all the AMCAS commit stuff, so IDK if there's another deadline that could produce a big jump, but I feel like it's going to be slower from here. But who knows.

Could folks from alternate list #1-#15 give us insight into if they PTE at OHSU or left the alt list here for another school? The whole process seems like a black box. And also IS or OOS?

I went ahead and made an alternate list table for last year since no one ever did it, and including the previous two years as well since they seemed most relevant. EDIT removed my projections because it's too early to tell, but this year is already MILES faster than last year! EDIT 2: Check later in thread for later versions.

Hope it helps future applicants and gives some hope to anyone waiting right now.

Attachments

• Updated OHSU Alternate List Trend.xlsx
    7.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I went ahead and made an alternate list table for last year since no one ever did it, and including the previous two years as well since they seemed most relevant. I'm attaching it here and will edit with updates as the process goes on for this year's trends as well. Moral of the story so far is that this is the earliest the AL has been up in general and looking far ahead of last year's, but a little behind years before that.

Hope it helps future applicants and gives some hope to anyone waiting right now.
Thank for updating this.

You are correct on the dates. If it's listed as 2018, that is for the 2017-2018 application cycle with matriculation in 2018. As an FYI, I think the Excel you have is missing the 2019-2020 cycle since it appears it goes 2017-2018 (2018), 2018-2019 (2019), (missing), 2020-2021 (listed as 2020), 2021-2022.

In any case, looking at the numbers, I will say that some of this may be somewhat flexible because my specific alternate number is ever listed in the Excel and it doesn't move past my number until a week after I was accepted. Some of that is likely due to when someone updated the spreadsheet, but some also could be that there may be a period of time between when the person gets accepted, how long it takes them to decide whether or not to matriculate, and when OHSU processes their acceptance or rejection of the matriculation offer.

Just my opinion for what little it's worth but I would caution extrapolating this cycle to previous cycles after only one week since the data in the Excel doesn't start until around 2 weeks after the alternate list went out. We don't know how the alternate list will shake out over the next week and since it doesn't update in a linear fashion (15, 16, 17, etc.) it could theoretically jump from 15 - 40 by the end of next week and be ahead of the previous years.

Thank for updating this.

You are correct on the dates. If it's listed as 2018, that is for the 2017-2018 application cycle with matriculation in 2018. As an FYI, I think the Excel you have is missing the 2019-2020 cycle since it appears it goes 2017-2018 (2018), 2018-2019 (2019), (missing), 2020-2021 (listed as 2020), 2021-2022.

In any case, looking at the numbers, I will say that some of this may be somewhat flexible because my specific alternate number is ever listed in the Excel and it doesn't move past my number until a week after I was accepted. Some of that is likely due to when someone updated the spreadsheet, but some also could be that there may be a period of time between when the person gets accepted, how long it takes them to decide whether or not to matriculate, and when OHSU processes their acceptance or rejection of the matriculation offer.

Just my opinion for what little it's worth but I would caution extrapolating this cycle to previous cycles after only one week since the data in the Excel doesn't start until around 2 weeks after the alternate list went out. We don't know how the alternate list will shake out over the next week and since it doesn't update in a linear fashion (15, 16, 17, etc.) it could theoretically jump from 15 - 40 by the end of next week and be ahead of the previous years.
How much time do you get to decide once you are given an A for AL folks?

How much time do you get to decide once you are given an A for AL folks?
So I had seen your previous message regarding the PTE stuff and thought about responding but then felt I was not the best person to do so. But since you replied to my message directly I'll just say I matriculated in a previous cycle so I can't speak to this cycle specifically. Regarding the process being a "black box," I'd say you are correct but that's sort of just how it goes. In my application cycle, the email accepting me off the alternate list did not give me a timeline for my decision. And since I only had the 1 acceptance for med school, I never contacted anyone to ask if I could take some time to think about the decision.

Hopefully someone who has a more recent acceptance from the alternate list can chime in on specific deadlines as far as when the decision needs to be made. I would assume you get a day or two and they don't expect a same day decision but I have zero evidence either way.

• Love
Thank for updating this.

That's true, and thanks, I'll check on that missed year later on and update it with an edit at some point.

In regards to the extrapolating you're totally right, got to wait to see how the next week or 2 shakes out. I assumed the big jump happens right at the turn of May, and the portal accounted for that and the trickle in previous years when It started mid-May, but I base that on nothing:lol:. I'll wait to see how stuff shakes out and update it later. Thanks for the tips

I went ahead and made an alternate list table for last year since no one ever did it, and including the previous two years as well since they seemed most relevant. I'm attaching it here and will edit with updates as the process goes on for this year's trends as well. EDIT removed my projections because it's too early to tell, but this year is already MILES faster than last year!

Thank you doing this. I found this type of data immensely helpful when I was waitlisted in 2020. However, I have a correction for it: The last accepted on 2020 was #48 on 8/10/20. I should know. I was that last one.

• Love
Thank you doing this. I found this type of data immensely helpful when I was waitlisted in 2020. However, I have a correction for it: The last accepted on 2020 was #48 on 8/10/20. I should know. I was that last one.
But one of the best ones!

• Haha
But one of the best ones!
Thank you, Petey! To be honest & to share with my alternate list peeps, I have been doing great and enjoying the entire process, which is a huge relief. Just goes to show these entrance metrics are not ironclad indicators of future performance.

So I had seen your previous message regarding the PTE stuff and thought about responding but then felt I was not the best person to do so. But since you replied to my message directly I'll just say I matriculated in a previous cycle so I can't speak to this cycle specifically. Regarding the process being a "black box," I'd say you are correct but that's sort of just how it goes. In my application cycle, the email accepting me off the alternate list did not give me a timeline for my decision. And since I only had the 1 acceptance for med school, I never contacted anyone to ask if I could take some time to think about the decision.

Hopefully someone who has a more recent acceptance from the alternate list can chime in on specific deadlines as far as when the decision needs to be made. I would assume you get a day or two and they don't expect a same day decision but I have zero evidence either way.
Hi all! I had the same question about going AL to A. Here are some details I can share:
The portal reflected my acceptance within the hour of receiving my offer. It may have been immediate but I didn’t see my email until later.
There was no formal timeline to decide by, more of a stay tuned for next steps. I think the only timeline is the choose your medical school tool and the decency of telling the school you won’t be going as soon as you know.

• Love
v2 of alternate list trends here. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I now have 2017/2018 to this year's trends (including 19-20 which I missed). That was the first year I applied so I must have mentally blocked it out lol.

Hope we break into the 20s this week🙏!

Attachments

• Updated OHSU Alternate List Trend v2.xlsx
    7.8 KB · Views: 119
v2 of alternate list trends here. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I now have 2017/2018 to this year's trends (including 19-20 which I missed). That was the first year I applied so I must have mentally blocked it out lol.

Did they only go till 29 last year :( I am very close to that number and now I am anxiouss~

Thank you for this above & beyond effort to benefit others!

Did they only go till 29 last year :( I am very close to that number and now I am anxiouss~
Im 26 so I get it. Last year was whack though, they were only at 5 by June, so we're already way ahead of that. There's no real way to tell, but I'm really thinking/ hoping we return to previous years' numbers!

• Care
Did they only go till 29 last year :(
Im 26 so I get it. Last year was whack though, they were only at 5 by June, so we're already way ahead of that. There's no real way to tell, but I'm really thinking/ hoping we return to previous years' numbers!
Aw yes, I also really hope it is more like the previous years' numbers! Wishing you luck on getting off the waitlist!

Does anyone know what the CTE deadline is? In the offer letter it said July 16, but I just got an email from the Med25 student liaison reminding us to CTE by May 31. I’m guessing the offer letter date is the real deal, but I don’t want to miss the CTE.

Does anyone know what the CTE deadline is? In the offer letter it said July 16, but I just got an email from the Med25 student liaison reminding us to CTE by May 31. I’m guessing the offer letter date is the real deal, but I don’t want to miss the CTE.
I'm fairly certain that the July 16 date is correct as most places state that you have until 21 days prior to the school's orientation to decide and the OHSU webpage states "mid-July." With that said, I know the admissions team is fairly small at OHSU so they always appreciate earlier notice if feasible for the applicant.

Hi all! I had the same question about going AL to A. Here are some details I can share:
The portal reflected my acceptance within the hour of receiving my offer. It may have been immediate but I didn’t see my email until later.
There was no formal timeline to decide by, more of a stay tuned for next steps. I think the only timeline is the choose your medical school tool and the decency of telling the school you won’t be going as soon as you know.
This is confusing. If you are for example on OHSUs AL and you are also on PTE at another school. If you get an A from OHSU AL can you in that case hold 2 As?

As my understanding is that current time you can have only 1 acceptance. And how long do u get to decide?

Last edited:
9D21A81F-82B0-4900-BA08-C78C8A46B3F6.jpeg

Me every day the portal doesn’t change

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
This is confusing. If you are for example on OHSUs AL and you are also on PTE at another school. If you get an A from OHSU AL can you in that case hold 2 As?

As my understanding is that current time you can have only 1 acceptance. And how long do u get to decide?
I don’t know how long you can hold two acceptances or much about CTE. OHSU has been my only MD acceptance, so I didn’t have to worry about this.
After being accepted via the portal a couple weeks ago, I received an official offer letter last week stating the offer needed to be accepted or declined by the end of this week.

I don’t know how long you can hold two acceptances or much about CTE. OHSU has been my only MD acceptance, so I didn’t have to worry about this.
After being accepted via the portal a couple weeks ago, I received an official offer letter last week stating the offer needed to be accepted or declined by the end of this week.
Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Not me checking this thread every day to see when @BigPremedGuy officially becomes my future classmate <3 Yall got this!
this feels like one of the least active OHSU threads I’ve ever seen, so I’m excited to get these last 3 so we can start rooting for everyone else🙏 Because right now I feel like the thread is like this😭

but really thanks everyone for the support, it means a ton

1652821279578.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Damn, I emailed and the SHOI cycle is already over... sucks that people who (may) matriculate later in the cycle don't have a shot at the program.