2021-2022 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of those calendars are for other graduate programs such as phds. Med students always have orientation in early august and it’s says it on the website below.

It’s also the last day people can move off the waitlist.

I know when orientation is. But I still have not found the start date clearly stated anywhere.
If we are just assuming that classes start right after orientation that’s fine… but I really need an actual confirmed answer to let my job know when I’ll be leaving 😂

Members don't see this ad.

I know when orientation is. But I still have not found the start date clearly stated anywhere.
If we are just assuming that classes start right after orientation that’s fine… but I really need an actual confirmed answer to let my job know when I’ll be leaving 😂
I emailed to ask and they said that the there's the transition to medical school course/orientation week is from 8/8-8/12, then the first regular curriculum block starts the following Monday, 8/15.

Been a weirdly quiet week here for the last week of decisions...
8EC9EB42-0E69-49EF-B43D-26B1342FA32D.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
I have already told some of my co-workers that I am going to be impressively unproductive Friday leading up to and after the decision comes out. Hopefully I am going to be so busy telling my friends and family that I am going to be a doctor that I can't focus on work 🤞

Reactions: 1 user
im sorry that you guys got rejected :( did they email you or just portal?

I have a question for those of you who are reapplicants and received an acceptance this cycle.

As I prepare for the possibility of re-applying I was wondering how helpful the interview/application feedback from the admissions committee is. Do you think the critiques they gave you were reasonable and realistic for you to improve? Were they mostly aimed at the soft components of your app (personal statement or essays) or hard components such as experiences. Also, did you have trouble addressing their comments on your application in a timely manner to be able to reapply the following cycle?

I have a question for those of you who are reapplicants and received an acceptance this cycle.

As I prepare for the possibility of re-applying I was wondering how helpful the interview/application feedback from the admissions committee is. Do you think the critiques they gave you were reasonable and realistic for you to improve? Were they mostly aimed at the soft components of your app (personal statement or essays) or hard components such as experiences. Also, did you have trouble addressing their comments on your application in a timely manner to be able to reapply the following cycle?

I am a successful reapplication this cycle, and the feedback I got was good. I didn’t take a year off between application cycles, Andy interviewer told me that they normally recommend people do so. My issues were mostly my wrong AAMC state of residence and my lack of hours for my clinical experiences, as well as late application, so an entire year to work on my app wasn’t really necessary.

Also a successful reapplicant here!
I went back and reviewed my entire application and realized my writing was not great… the feedback I received was mostly “work on your secondary essays and better connecting them to real world experiences/clinical experiences”
So I saw that coming!
That was the biggest change to my application when I reapplied, I had other people edit and give me feedback before I submitted and the topics I chose were just much more relevant (included examples from my time in clinical volunteer positions)
So while that feedback didn’t tell me anything I didn’t know, it was nice to get concrete feedback and not be left guessing. Oh and fixing the problem actually worked!

Members don't see this ad :)
A current student in the thread (the reverend OHSUthrowaway) said a while ago that OHSU emailed students saying final decisions will come by April 29 this year

Reactions: 1 users
Will we hear tomorrow because the 30th is a weekend?
I hope so
A current student in the thread (the reverend OHSUthrowaway) said a while ago that OHSU emailed students saying final decisions will come by April 29 this year

Haha not sure I'm worthy of the title but I'll take it.

The communications we have received from OHSU as students is that every prospective student will know whether they have been accepted, rejected, or put on the alternate list on 4/29. Some of you have applied previously and are familiar but for those that haven't, OHSU does a ranked list and you will be told where you are on it. My guess is probably by early afternoon at the latest?

I'll keep my fingers crossed you all receive positive news over the next 24 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So any idea if it is more likely to stay at 20-25 rather than the ~50 that was normal before last year?
Not sure anyone responded to your message but one thing I'd say is that last year (and potentially the year before?) the school shrunk the number of spots down to 140 for a couple reasons but regardless, less spots and more applicants so they likely didn't need to pull from the alternate list as much. This year the number I've seen is that they will take 150 for the class of 2026, so potentially means they could go a bit further down the list like previous years. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that the number of people actually admitted off the alternate list and the alternate number they end up at are not equivalent. I only bring that up since theoretically if they ended up getting to say #50 on the alternate list and if only 10 accepted as an example, they could still have actually matriculated less students than if they say reached alternate #11 and all 11 decided to matriculate. Just depends on the year and how things shake out.

Not sure anyone responded to your message but one thing I'd say is that last year (and potentially the year before?) the school shrunk the number of spots down to 140 for a couple reasons but regardless, less spots and more applicants so they likely didn't need to pull from the alternate list as much. This year the number I've seen is that they will take 150 for the class of 2026, so potentially means they could go a bit further down the list like previous years. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that the number of people actually admitted off the alternate list and the alternate number they end up at are not equivalent. I only bring that up since theoretically if they ended up getting to say #50 on the alternate list and if only 10 accepted as an example, they could still have actually matriculated less students than if they say reached alternate #11 and all 11 decided to matriculate. Just depends on the year and how things shake out.
Great points! As much as I wish this was a simpler process, there are lots of variables to take into account. I'm lucky to have a couple DO schools that like me, so I'll just have to hang in there while OHSU plays coy :rofl: Great to hear that we might be able to expect closer to 150 though!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Great points! As much as I wish this was a simpler process, there are lots of variables to take into account. I'm lucky to have a couple DO schools that like me, so I'll just have to hang in there while OHSU plays coy :rofl: Great to hear that we might be able to expect closer to 150 though!
Same here! Like the attitude😀. Just glad my DO deposit isn’t due until this weekend on the chance I do get an A I don’t have to drop another grand! Of course it’s a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme and I’d gladly pay it if I get a unsure spot on the alternate list, but man, I’m a BigPoorGuy right now lol

R this morning 😭😭. Sad to not be staying in Oregon but I’ll be back… good luck everyone else!

• Care
Same here! Like the attitude😀. Just glad my DO deposit isn’t due until this weekend on the chance I do get an A I don’t have to drop another grand! Of course it’s a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme and I’d gladly pay it if I get a unsure spot on the alternate list, but man, I’m a BigPoorGuy right now lol
Yes to this! Mine is due Sunday! Fingers crossed we get good new and can save a grand (or at least wait until later to give it to OHSU)

• Love

Yes to this! Mine is due Sunday! Fingers crossed we get good new and can save a grand (or at least wait until later to give it to OHSU)
The good news is that OHSU does not require a deposit. Money saved!

My portal just updated with a message saying that they are working to post their alternate list! Fingers crossed for everyone!

I checked my portal right at noon, alternate number mid 20s. I really don’t know how to feel lol. No email

Have they ever selected less than 30? Especially with 150 spots this year?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I checked my portal right at noon, alternate number mid 20s. I really don’t know how to feel lol. No email

Have to run ever selected less than 30? Especially with 150 spots this year?
I think you have a really great chance! Just got my 80-90 alternate, so resigning myself to my other choices. So happy for you (though I know it's hard not having an official offer yet)

• Care
Also an alternate! but Im MD/MPH so not ranked but just emailed Kari so we will see

Have they ever selected less than 30? Especially with 150 spots this year?
I can't say for any year but mine but I was quite a bit higher on the alternate list and got in so I think you have a shot.

I can't say for any year but mine but I was quite a bit higher on the alternate list and got in so I think you have a shot.
Do you remember what year you applied and what your alternate number was? I’m trying to gauge whether I reapply this year or not…

I think you have a really great chance! Just got my 80-90 alternate, so resigning myself to my other choices. So happy for you (though I know it's hard not having an official offer yet)
Thanks so much, all that matters is you're going to be a DOC regardless. Best to you friend.

I'm honestly more anxious now than I was before I had a decision. My DO school starts a month earlier than OHSU, I don't know what to do

• Care
85th alternate. Unless I get in off of The waitlist for SLU (no rankings so literally no idea how likely), that’s my last shot this year. Sad that three interviews didn’t end up with an A. Need to work on my interview skills I guess 😥

• Care
I just want to make sure I’m understanding this correctly…. The number we see on the portal is our ACTUAL alternate number correct? I’m confused because the explanation given on the website says something like “we rank our first 120-200 applicants and assign them a number on our alternate list”…. That doesn’t make sense to me. That means that there’s only 80 of us on the alternate list??? But others have commented that their alternate number is higher than 80…. I just want to make sure that if my number says 44 that means I’m actually number 44 on the list… not like 44+120 or something weird like that

Oh I think I understand now…. They put a TOTAL of 120-200 people on the alternate list. And so our number is the actual number we are assigned… there’s too many numbers being thrown around right in the 120-150 range and I’m starting to get confused calculating how likely my odds are lol. Can someone confirm that I’m correct in thinking this? Someone’s number legit says #1 or something really low like that?

Oh I think I understand now…. They put a TOTAL of 120-200 people on the alternate list. And so our number is the actual number we are assigned… there’s too many numbers being thrown around right in the 120-150 range and I’m starting to get confused calculating how likely my odds are lol. Can someone confirm that I’m correct in thinking this? Someone’s number legit says #1 or something really low like that?
Unless things have changed, the alternate number you see listed in the portal (and potentially the email you may or may not received, not sure if they still do that) is your actual alternate number. There is indeed someone who is listed as alternate #1. So if you are #44, then that's exactly what your spot is. With that said...

At least in the past what would happen is everyone gets their alternate number and then they follow up with an email asking if you'd like to remain in the alternate pool. There are people who don't because they've accepted spots elsewhere so they drop off, but your number always stays at whatever is assigned. So then as time goes on, when the portal updates, one minute they may be at alternate #5 and the next day at alternate #17. That doesn't mean that 12 people then matriculated. Only one of those people may have matriculated, who knows. Especially in the first few weeks there can be significant churn as they work through who actually will be attending and who turns down the offer.

Thanks so much, all that matters is you're going to be a DOC regardless. Best to you friend.

I'm honestly more anxious now than I was before I had a decision. My DO school starts a month earlier than OHSU, I don't know what to do
Again, hard to say specifically since it varies year to year but from what I've seen in the past there is usually pretty decent movement in the first week or two. So I think you'll have a better sense of where things are headed by mid-May as they work out who wants to stay on the alternate list and who wants to take their name off. However, when it comes to the alternate list I've seen it move fast, I've seen it move slow, and do all sorts of weird things but I do think if you're in the 20's you have a pretty decent shot. I would also say it wouldn't hurt to throw down the $1k or whatever it is these days to secure a spot elsewhere just in case OHSU doesn't break your way...

We've been rooting for you from the start BigPremedGuy! Hope to see you in August!

• Love
Alternate list somewhere between ~10-20. Stats for those interested: LM 72, OOS w/ Oregon Heritage, first time applicant. Interviewed November, placed on hold December.

Attached is a waitlist trends spreadsheet I found on a previous year's SDN thread, so I can't claim it is 100% real/accurate. Seems to be large year-to-year variability, and can end up taking up to #30 - #70 or higher. Last year the list seemed to move unusually slow and wasn't at #20 until mid-July. Hopefully, that was due to the 140 class size cap and this year with the purported return to 150 things move faster. Best of luck to all my fellow wait-listers.

Attachments

• OHSU Waitlist Trends 2006-2017.xlsx
    13.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Alternate list somewhere between ~10-20. Stats for those interested: LM 72, OOS w/ Oregon Heritage, first time applicant. Interviewed November, placed on hold December.

Attached is a waitlist trends spreadsheet I found on a previous year's SDN thread, so I can't claim it is 100% real/accurate. Seems to be large year-to-year variability, and can end up taking up to #30 - #70 or higher. Last year the list seemed to move unusually slow and wasn't at #20 until mid-July. Hopefully, that was due to the 140 class size cap and this year with the purported return to 150 things move faster. Best of luck to all my fellow wait-listers.
Thanks for linking this - I tried to find my copy and was unable.

With that said, I can't totally recall but I want to say I remember reading a lot of discussion about why there was so much variation from the 2006-2011 year and I can't remember the answer everyone came up with but I believe there were some changes instituted by the AAMC and that explains the narrowing of the spread? Regardless, as much as I want to be eternally optimistic, and this is 100% just my opinion, if things go back to how they were and ignoring last year, I'd say that alternate <20 great chance of getting in, alternate 20-40 good chance, 40-50 ok chance, 50-60 possible but not probable, 60+ pretty unlikely. But I met someone in my class right around that 60+ range so things do happen. Again, just my opinion. I don't want to be a downer, and everything I said could be totally wrong depending on how the cycle shakes out, but at the same time I think it's somewhat important to recognize the odds just so those who may not be looking at an acceptance this year can start working on getting things ready for reapplying. And I know I've said it before a few times but I applied multiple times and barely made it in on my final attempt and it's not a statement of who you are. You'll all make fantastic docs I'm sure. Getting into med school is the hard part and is a crapshoot.

Thanks for linking this - I tried to find my copy and was unable.

With that said, I can't totally recall but I want to say I remember reading a lot of discussion about why there was so much variation from the 2006-2011 year and I can't remember the answer everyone came up with but I believe there were some changes instituted by the AAMC and that explains the narrowing of the spread? Regardless, as much as I want to be eternally optimistic, and this is 100% just my opinion, if things go back to how they were and ignoring last year, I'd say that alternate <20 great chance of getting in, alternate 20-40 good chance, 40-50 ok chance, 50-60 possible but not probable, 60+ pretty unlikely. But I met someone in my class right around that 60+ range so things do happen. Again, just my opinion. I don't want to be a downer, and everything I said could be totally wrong depending on how the cycle shakes out, but at the same time I think it's somewhat important to recognize the odds just so those who may not be looking at an acceptance this year can start working on getting things ready for reapplying. And I know I've said it before a few times but I applied multiple times and barely made it in on my final attempt and it's not a statement of who you are. You'll all make fantastic docs I'm sure. Getting into med school is the hard part and is a crapshoot.

Yeah thanks for that link, and after looking at past data OHSUthrowaway's assessment seems accurate.

As far as I can tell, last year was the lowest ever. I emailed Kari and she said the exact number for '20-21 was 29 off the alternate list. Before that, it looks like high 40s to low 50s was the usual number pulled. So I guess the question is was last year an outlier or a trend? The optimist in me wants to say that the decreased class size played a role in that, but really, who knows. In Kari's email she said they in the past have pulled 60 to 100, but it seems like that hasn't happened in a while.

My question is when we will start seeing the portal updated? In the spreadsheet it said by early May there were already a ton of people taken off, but the portal says "We will select applicants off of our alternate list in order as spots become available between May 1 and the first day of orientation" converse to the email I got which says "the status of the alternate list will be online by late-May". And lastly, last year's movement was agonizingly slow, it didn't hit the 10s until first week of JULY.

EDIT: here's trends including 2018 and 2019 too, from last year's thread:

Attachments

• OHSU Waitlist Trends 2019.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Yeah thanks for that link, and after looking at past data OHSUthrowaway's assessment seems accurate.

As far as I can tell, last year was the lowest ever. I emailed Kari and she said the exact number for '20-21 was 29 off the alternate list. Before that, it looks like high 40s to low 50s was the usual number pulled. So I guess the question is was last year an outlier or a trend? The optimist in me wants to say that the decreased class size played a role in that, but really, who knows. In Kari's email she said they in the past have pulled 60 to 100, but it seems like that hasn't happened in a while.

My question is when we will start seeing the portal updated? In the spreadsheet it said by early May there were already a ton of people taken off, but the portal says "We will select applicants off of our alternate list in order as spots become available between May 1 and the first day of orientation" converse to the email I got which says "the status of the alternate list will be online by late-May". And lastly, last year's movement was agonizingly slow, it didn't hit the 10s until first week of JULY.
To answer your first question regarding outlier vs trend, I think that's a great question. My brain says we have to wait for more info, my gut says that it was an outlier and I'm hoping for everyone anxiously waiting for news that it is.

To answer your portal question, I went back and looked at my email about the alternate list from my year and they said the same thing about the portal timing and when we'd get daily updates. I feel like in reality the portal ended up active in early May (under promise and over deliver customer service), but I still came to SDN to get updates as well much of the time since my classmates were a bit faster to post updates than the once-per-day portal update.

Thanks for your answer. I guess I have to bite the bullet and ask them where I stand on the list. May I ask if you are OOS or IS?
Im OOS, first time applicant, LM 67

I'd love to chat with someone who is an M1/2/3/4 or recent grad about some details of the program. Please send me a message if you are willing. Thanks! :)

Will they be posting which number they are on for the alt list on our portal?

I'd love to chat with someone who is an M1/2/3/4 or recent grad about some details of the program. Please send me a message if you are willing. Thanks! :)
I would love it if anyone M1/2/3/4 … can share details on this site too.