2020-2021 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad.

Prompts:

All have a 2000 character max, COVID-19 has a N/A box if the question does not apply to you.

Please explain both of the following: 1) the specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of our curriculum, institution, city, and/our mission to achieve your career goals.

Please describe the reasons that you have chosen to specifically apply your skills to the career of a physician and what specific ways your personality, talents, attributes, etc. will contribute to the practice of clinical medicine.

The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring.

Please explain, if applicable, any ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic specifically and negatively impacted and/or caused significant hardship for your academic performance between the months of March and September, 2020.

We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 public health crisis. Please use the space below to describe any specific and significant disruptions you experienced which you would like the Admissions Committee to consider while reviewing your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please describe the reasons that you have chosen to specifically apply your skills to the career of a physician and what specific ways your personality, talents, attributes, etc. will contribute to the practice of clinical medicine.

How are people approaching this question? I feel like I answered this in my personal statement

How are people approaching this question? I feel like I answered this in my personal statement
I’m thinking it’s asking for a TLDR of the personal statement?

Reactions: 1 user

I like this phrasing better than past year's, which essentially just asked why you have chosen to apply your skills to medicine and not any other career. That was just TLDR PS. This one seems to be asking 1. what led you to medicine and 2. how will you advance the field with your skills? The first half of mine was a TLDR of my PS, but much narrower. The second half was almost one of those, "How do you see your career 10 years from now?" essays, but much broader so I could talk about how my motivation for medicine impacts my future goals in the field. In my PS, these "future goals" were only briefly mentioned, so this was a good place to expand on them.

Reactions: 2 users
Whoops, just realized I received their secondary 4 days ago.... in my junk mail

ngl i hate this secondary. asking us a rehashed version of our PS just to read more words seems like a lose lose for everybody. not feeling fantastic about using the springtime of youth for this

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if they pre-screen? IS and still waiting on a secondary.

Does anyone know if they pre-screen? IS and still waiting on a secondary.
According to the MSAR reports, Cincinnati sends secondaries to "Applicants who are AMCAS verified and who broadly meet holistic admissions criteria." Not sure what criteria they use, but they do screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, is there any way that we can add these prompts.

Gap year (if you are not currently attending college):
I will NOT be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program (e.g., you are on a gap year for educational purposes or employed after the completion of your studies) between August 2020 and July 2021.
Then, in 1000 characters, provide a thorough explanation of all activities planned between now and your matriculation into medical school (Fall 2021).

If you are underrepresented:
* You have previously identified yourself as a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine. Please describe any way in which you are actively involved with activities or groups associated with your ethnic or cultural identity and/or that promote diversity and inclusion. (500 characters)

"We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 public health crisis. Please use the space below to describe any specific and significant disruptions you experienced which you would like the Admissions Committee to consider while reviewing your application."

Is this asking us to describe any hardship, or only hardships related to COVID-19?

"We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 public health crisis. Please use the space below to describe any specific and significant disruptions you experienced which you would like the Admissions Committee to consider while reviewing your application."

Is this asking us to describe any hardship, or only hardships related to COVID-19?
Only COVID-19 related hardships, it sounds like

Is anyone applying here this year and also doing their SMP program?

For the second half of this question that asks about how we will contribute to the practice of clinical medicine, does this mean that we can't talk about academic medicine like research or teaching that advances/innovates the practice of clinical medicine? Or am I reading this wrong?

For the second half of this question that asks about how we will contribute to the practice of clinical medicine, does this mean that we can't talk about academic medicine like research or teaching that advances/innovates the practice of clinical medicine? Or am I reading this wrong?
I'm reading it the same way :(

Bruh they hit me with the:
1595540299407.png

Anyone get this? Is this a lowkey R smh

I meant to email UC (Chicago/Pritzker) anout something and referred to the school in the email as Pritzker but realized I sent it to UC (cinci), is it rip to my secondary

For MSTP applicants, are you writing a modification of your AMCAS essays for describing past research experiences and your motivation for joining an MD/PhD program? The questions are almost identical so I'm not sure how much they want us to modify our answers.

is anyone else not writing anything for the covid questions? i didn't take any classes pass/fail or have a dip in grades, and any activities that got cancelled or went online I already mentioned in the gap year question. just seems disingenuous to put something there since the only significant impact on me personally was the normal disruptions? but idk if i'm missing something

is anyone else not writing anything for the covid questions? i didn't take any classes pass/fail or have a dip in grades, and any activities that got cancelled or went online I already mentioned in the gap year question. just seems disingenuous to put something there since the only significant impact on me personally was the normal disruptions? but idk if i'm missing something
I think it's okay to just write one or two sentences along the lines of "I wasn't really affected besides X activity getting cancelled." This is just imo but leaving that essay completely blank might make it seem like you were completely disconnected from the pandemic. And really that isn't true for anyone. You can keep it very brief while relaying that there was only a minor disruption in your life.

Prompts:

All have a 2000 character max, COVID-19 has a N/A box if the question does not apply to you.

Please explain both of the following: 1) the specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of our curriculum, institution, city, and/our mission to achieve your career goals.

The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring.

Please explain, if applicable, any ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic specifically and negatively impacted and/or caused significant hardship for your academic performance between the months of March and September, 2020.

We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 public health crisis. Please use the space below to describe any specific and significant disruptions you experienced which you would like the Admissions Committee to consider while reviewing your application.

For this part "

We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 public health crisis. Please use the space below to describe any specific and significant disruptions you experienced which you would like the Admissions Committee to consider while reviewing your application."

Are these 2 separate questions or 1 question?

For this part "

We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 public health crisis. Please use the space below to describe any specific and significant disruptions you experienced which you would like the Admissions Committee to consider while reviewing your application."

Are these 2 separate questions or 1 question?
They're 2 separate questions - the first is asking specifically about COVID's impact on your academic performance, while the second question is asking about more general disruptions (i.e., work, activities, family, etc). I'm out of school so I left the first question blank, but I described how my job and volunteering and stuff was impacted in the second question

They're 2 separate questions - the first is asking specifically about COVID's impact on your academic performance, while the second question is asking about more general disruptions (i.e., work, activities, family, etc). I'm out of school so I left the first question blank, but I described how my job and volunteering and stuff was impacted in the second question
awesome! thanks a lot

Anyone hear anything back yet? Interview Invites?

Just got my interview invite; I applied ED

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Cinci started interviews in early August last cycle. Wondering what this delay is all about.

Then, in 1000 characters, provide a thorough explanation of all activities planned between now and your matriculation into medical school (Fall 2021).

How professional or concrete is this question? I am taking a gap year for research so I will definitely mention that with my volunteering.

But otherwise, should I say I intend to do more shadowing when it is available? I'm also cooking and playing tennis, does that matter?

How professional or concrete is this question? I am taking a gap year for research so I will definitely mention that with my volunteering.

But otherwise, should I say I intend to do more shadowing when it is available? I'm also cooking and playing tennis, does that matter?
I took "activities planned" as concrete things, volunteering, work, shadowing, etc. I personally didn't include my hobbies. I love biking but I felt that "I'll be riding my bike" would sound a bit silly lol, but that might just be me, so maybe someone else can give insight on how they wrote about their hobbies!

I took "activities planned" as concrete things, volunteering, work, shadowing, etc. I personally didn't include my hobbies. I love biking but I felt that "I'll be riding my bike" would sound a bit silly lol, but that might just be me, so maybe someone else can give insight on how they wrote about their hobbies!
I didn't answer this question directly. However, I did include on my activity sections some of my hobbies. I only put "impressive" ones basically everything that's not video gaming. They were self taught piano and studying Chinese. Seemed to definitely not hurt since I have 9 II atm. Moreover, I think it's good to show the admission person some more personal stuff so they can get to know you. So if you're passionate about a hobby list it. IMO at least!

• Wow
9?? Jeez man, leave some for us too :dead:
I didn't answer this question directly. However, I did include on my activity sections some of my hobbies. I only put "impressive" ones basically everything that's not video gaming. They were self taught piano and studying Chinese. Seemed to definitely not hurt since I have 9 II atm. Moreover, I think it's good to show the admission person some more personal stuff so they can get to know you. So if you're passionate about a hobby list it. IMO at least!
Jk, that's awesome and best of luck to you!

For those of you who have gotten IIs, did you get any kind of confirmation after completing the systems test? Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right haha

For those of you who have gotten IIs, did you get any kind of confirmation after completing the systems test? Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right haha

Nope haha, also it always logged me out when after the clear history/cookies/cache thing. I did it like 3 times before just to be safe; they also make you do it within the 24 hours before your interview.

Nope haha, also it always logged me out when after the clear history/cookies/cache thing. I did it like 3 times before just to be safe; they also make you do it within the 24 hours before your interview.
same thing happened to me lol, glad I'm not the only one! thanks for your help!

I'm accepted too...and so excited for next year!

Reactions: 5 users
Are there any MSTP candidates that received any interviews recently?