2020-2021 University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do we update our application to UF? Sorry if this has been addressed earlier :,D

Hi everyone! Do current students have any recommendations for good housing near the medical school? I would like to stay under $1,000 a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Do current students have any recommendations for good housing near the medical school? I would like to stay under $1,000 a month
I went to UF undergrad and there are a lot of options for housing under 1k. Youre looking at living in Gainesville where the cost of living is really low. If you can, I would suggest looking at renting a house because undergraduate students rule the main apartment complexes and unless you want to live with 18-21 year olds, I would look at a house. And whatever you do.... don't live in The Standard.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Also, as a graduate/professional student you have the option of Graduate and Family Housing, which is apartment-style with very very cheap rent. One of the complexes (where I lived during grad school, and still live) is called Diamond Village, and is directly behind the med school and UF Health. Would 10/10 recommend.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I am sending in a LOI tomorrow morning, but I haven't gotten an interview yet. Is there anything more I can do at this point? Or anything I should do to improve my chances next cycle? My GPA is essentially set in stone at this point, as a non-trad with nearly 300 credit hours (total) and my MCAT was 100%, but is there anything I can do to show how very much I love UF COM? I feel like everything about UF is perfect for me, and unfortunately, I don't believe UF feels that way about me (yet).

• Care
Also, as a graduate/professional student you have the option of Graduate and Family Housing, which is apartment-style with very very cheap rent. One of the complexes (where I lived during grad school, and still live) is called Diamond Village, and is directly behind the med school and UF Health. Would 10/10 recommend.
Do they allow dogs? I doubt it but would love to be wrong lol

• Care
  • Haha
Also, I am sending in a LOI tomorrow morning, but I haven't gotten an interview yet. Is there anything more I can do at this point? Or anything I should do to improve my chances next cycle? My GPA is essentially set in stone at this point, as a non-trad with nearly 300 credit hours (total) and my MCAT was 100%, but is there anything I can do to show how very much I love UF COM? I feel like everything about UF is perfect for me, and unfortunately, I don't believe UF feels that way about me (yet).
Are you emailing this to admissions or posting it in the updates box?

Can someone help me remember what they mentioned on interview day about waitlist movement? I recall they flashed some stats showing around 2/3 of interviewers get acceptances which I thought was to suggest there was a more than non-zero chance of movement.

Accepted!!!
I received an e-mail yesterday around 7:00 p.m.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Are you emailing this to admissions or posting it in the updates box?
Is one method preferred over the other? I updated in January in the updates box but I feel like It wasn't seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they allow dogs? I doubt it but would love to be wrong lol
No, but I've seen other people that live here have them. I guess if you don't get caught? I wouldn't risk it, but it seems a lot of others do, and seem to get away with it!

• Haha
Are they still sending out interview invites?

Are they still sending out interview invites?
I believe the website says that interviews are held until late February on Fridays, so I think today would have been the last interview day?

Is it worth sending a 2nd update? It seems like they might be done. :/

Pre-II R

• Care
Pre-II R as well. This hurts. Good luck to everyone remaining <3

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Pre-II R as well!

• Care
Pre II R here just now

• Care
Does anyone know where we can find our Gatorlink email addresses? (asking for the scholarship app), thanks!

Does anyone know any good housing options for med students?
On the FB page there's a google doc to help find roommates, and at First Look a lot of the med students live at Wildflower but it's not cheap

Does anyone know when students are notified if they received a scholarship or when fin aid packages go out?

Does anybody remember when is second look for this school?

The accepted applicants page says April 9-10 but at the first visit weekend in December I was told that those events replaced the official Second Look and that the Spring Second Look would be virtual. Totally possible that changed, though.

• Care
Hey y'all, congratulations to those who have been accepted to UF. I graduated from UF Med in 2014 (I applied when MCAT scores were 2 digits!) and look back on my time at the school quite fondly. The administration really does care about the students, and the teaching and mentorship you get is second to none. The alumni network recently learned that Dr. Duff, the associate dean for student affairs, is retiring this year which is unfortunate and which made me reflect on my experiences at the school. He moved mountains for me due to a personal issue, and I am forever grateful to him for that and think that it speaks to the character and compassion that pervades the school. I just wanted to pop in to say that you will work hard but also have an amazing time if you choose UF, and they will prepare you well for whatever field you choose to go into. Good luck!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Appears to be a very strong Match year for UF

This is interesting because there were comments on Reddit under a thread discussing this year's match chaos claiming that UF had nearly a third of their class go unmatched, even after SOAP. Comments seemed to confirm they were talking about UF but this match list contradicts it.

Link:

Interesting. I guess they must be misinformed. I spoke to a faculty at UF and they told me that they had a historic match day this year