2021-2022 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @dreamingabouta528 for sharing this year's essays!

2021-2022 Georgetown Secondary Essay Prompts:

Short answer (1000 characters each):
1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine (GUSOM) strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians, with cultural humility, who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. With our Jesuit values of Cura Personalis, People for Others, and Community in Diversity, we are steadfast in our commitment to racial justice and to addressing the health inequities exacerbated by the recent pandemic. Please describe how your values, life experiences, and your identity will contribute to these GUSOM priorities.
2. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?

Essay:
Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
+2 OOS secondary received

Short answer (1k characters each):
1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine (GUSOM) strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians, with cultural humility, who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. With our Jesuit values of Cura Personalis, People for Others, and Community in Diversity, we are steadfast in our commitment to racial justice and to addressing the health inequities exacerbated by the recent pandemic. Please describe how your values, life experiences, and your identity will contribute to these GUSOM priorities.
2. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?
Essay:
Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

Members don't see this ad :)
Received and submitted! Only weird thing is my letters are marked not received although I already assigned them in AMCAS...

Received and submitted! Only weird thing is my letters are marked not received although I already assigned them in AMCAS...
Same! But when I click on "Document Status" (under the Status section), they show up.

In the welcome message it says it will take 24 hours for it to be reflected as completed.
"Please note: when you submit your secondary application, your letters of recommendation requirement will not be marked complete immediately upon submission if you have met the requirement. It will take 24 hours to reflect."

In the welcome message it says it will take 24 hours for it to be reflected as completed.
"Please note: when you submit your secondary application, your letters of recommendation requirement will not be marked complete immediately upon submission if you have met the requirement. It will take 24 hours to reflect."

I submitted my application earlier today. I little while later I got an email that my application was sent to the admissions committee for review, and now under Status the letters are marked as received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how they feel about OOS students with no affiliation? Trying to decide if I should complete the secondary I received and pay the fee...

Hi everyone! I’m a Hoya from undergrad and will be one in the M2025 cohort. Good luck to all of you and hopefully you all get into the school that is your best fit!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how they feel about OOS students with no affiliation? Trying to decide if I should complete the secondary I received and pay the fee...
They have a pretty significant OOS acceptance rate according to MSAR so I don't think not being affiliated would make too much of a difference.

Since we upload a PDF for the long essay (the "Why Georgetown?" one), should we include a header? If so, what sort of info should be included?

OOS secondary received 6/25, submitted and complete yesterday

does anyone know when georgetown starts II? or even rejections? lol

@ anyone who has gotten secondaries - please PM me if you're comfortable sharing stats!

I'm a little confused about what the first question is asking us to write about. Are we supposed to write about how we will contribute to their Cura Personalis value? Or how we will contribute to addressing racial justice and health inequities? Seems reaaaallly ambitious to try to do both in 1000 characters. Whats everyone thinking

is a 1.5 spaced essay okay for the 3rd question?

In my essays, there's some overlapping in q1 and 3, do you guys think that's okay?

Does anyone know about Georgetown's MD-PhD program admissions? Specifically, if rejected for MD-PhD, can an applicant be considered for MD-only?

Curious about how everyone is formatting their essay question, anyone willing to share?

Curious about how everyone is formatting their essay question, anyone willing to share?
I was just thinking single spaced, Times New Roman, 11 font. Not very big font, but have a lot to say... 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 2 users
Double spaced 12 pt font. Probably not my best choice but I always format things like that 😅

Anyone else have their application “under review” in the portal?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone aware of how many secondaries are usually sent vs number of interview invites?

+1 wondering if this is everyone and automatic or if it is actually "under review" rn I didn't take note enough if it was a different status before
Yes and maybe. This is, by definition, what happens to your application, everywhere, between the time your submission is complete (primary, fee paid or waived, secondary, MCAT and LORs) and when you receive some notification of some action by the school. Some schools might call it something else ("complete"), but it's the same thing everywhere.

It's a default status that a lot of schools use to indicate you are done until you hear from them. It does not necessarily mean you are literally under review right now (although you certainly could be!), and you could remain in that status for many months, which, again, does not mean someone will be pondering your future during that time. It just means the ball is now in their court.

Yes and maybe. This is, by definition, what happens to your application, everywhere, between the time your submission is complete (primary, fee paid or waived, secondary, MCAT and LORs) and when you receive some notification of some action by the school.

It's a default status that a lot of schools use to indicate you are done until you hear from them. It does not necessarily mean you are literally under review right now (although you certainly could be!), and you could remain in that status for many months, which, again, does not mean someone will be pondering your future during that time. It just means the ball is now in their court.
lol I love this response thank you so much

I am confused about prompt 1. Is it giving us two options? 1 option to talk about racial justice and then a 2nd option to talk about health inequities that arised from COVID? Or do they mean for both of these to be spoken in the context of racism?

I don't know enough about social justice in the US for alot of these secondaries rip, I'm a transfer student and I've only spent the past two years in the states.

I am confused about prompt 1. Is it giving us two options? 1 option to talk about racial justice and then a 2nd option to talk about health inequities that arised from COVID? Or do they mean for both of these to be spoken in the context of racism?

I don't know enough about social justice in the US for alot of these secondaries rip, I'm a transfer student and I've only spent the past two years in the states.
I think it's mostly about your life experiences or what you've witnessed in your life in the context of healthcare disparities and your values and how that connects to their mission of Cura Personalis. I don't think you have to talk specifically about the US. maybe try to give some examples of what you witnessed in your home country of healthcare inequities.

congrats!!
II received this morning! Complete 6/26

EDIT: how much time do you have until you have your interview? I just wanna know how much time we have to prepare

Last edited: