2021-2022 Loyola (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 on that. I’m sure hundreds of us were about to blast the admissions office with phone calls this morning. I spent the better part of 2 hours scouring the internet as to how i possibly was ineligible.

i was scared my LOR or something else I couldn’t see was disqualifying me 😂
That’s terrifying! I feel so bad you guys had to go through that- this process already makes us crazy enough! I’m glad it was fixed I was worried for you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm happy this wasn't malware or anything more serious. The least they could do is just give everyone who got one of these emails an unconditional acceptance :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
Petition for the above comment to happen! :p

But more seriously, is anyone finding themselves being repetitive with their experiences? For example:
  • Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have you learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.
I described my most meaningful experience for working with underserved populations (which I spent 3 years on and tied it to my current job) in my personal statement and again in my most meaningful activities. Do I need write about something else smaller I've done, or try to reiterate this experience?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

But more seriously, is anyone finding themselves being repetitive with their experiences? For example:
  • Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have you learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.
I described my most meaningful experience for working with underserved populations (which I spent 3 years on and tied it to my current job) in my personal statement and again in my most meaningful activities. Do I need write about something else smaller I've done, or try to reiterate this experience?
Dig deeper, reflect more!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm happy this wasn't malware or anything more serious. The least they could do is just give everyone who got one of these emails an unconditional acceptance :rofl:
Heck, even waiving the secondary fee would be nice haha

Food for thought/inspiration: you may have described the type of activity or how it changed you in the most meaningful experience and personal statements, but if you've spent three years on it, maybe dive deep into your favorite year, or year where you felt the most change? I think if you give the same example, but different story/point-of-view/takeaway, it might still be viable.

Or, you can be vulnerable and talk about what hindered your efforts?

Food for thought/inspiration: you may have described the type of activity or how it changed you in the most meaningful experience and personal statements, but if you've spent three years on it, maybe dive deep into your favorite year, or year where you felt the most change? I think if you give the same example, but different story/point-of-view/takeaway, it might still be viable.

Or, you can be vulnerable and talk about what hindered your efforts?
This is great advice - thank you - I can definitely talk about the journey year by year and the growth as my viewpoints changed!

Anybody else get the application under review email? Does it have any significance? Lol

Went to pay the secondary fee, it said that it couldn't complete the transaction and to try again, but not only did it complete the 105 transaction it took it TWICE. Dope, says I can't submit it until I pay it yet it took 210 bucks now Im stuck until Monday

Went to pay the secondary fee, it said that it couldn't complete the transaction and to try again, but not only did it complete the 105 transaction it took it TWICE. Dope, says I can't submit it until I pay it yet it took 210 bucks now Im stuck until Monday
What a way to end the week!!! Now go crack open some Hennessy :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
How long did it take yall to get your secondary? my app was verified 2 days ago and havent gotten it yet

Just submitted my secondary! Commenting to get alerts on the thread. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice please. I have a 504 MCAT, 3.6 science GPA, and 3.69 cumulative GPA. Is it worth applying here with such a low MCAT? I'm in state and have a good amount clinical and volunteer hours along with a year of research. Still haven't submitted my primary though. I plan to retake my MCAT in September, so I can send them my new score in October, but not sure how that'll pan out being sent in so late in the cycle.
I think what's going to hurt you the most is that you haven't submitted your primary yet, not that you have a 504 MCAT. My advice is to submit it ASAP.

Reactions: 3 users
when you guys copied and pasted from word doc, did it show as double spaced? It's not showing it on my end

when you guys copied and pasted from word doc, did it show as double spaced? It's not showing it on my end
Don't worry about that- it won't show up on our end no matter how hard you try to format it.

For the question about not taking classes for over two years, does this include sporadic CC classes before the pandemic or does it mean enrolled in undergraduate classes?

For the question about not taking classes for over two years, does this include sporadic CC classes before the pandemic or does it mean enrolled in undergraduate classes?
I'm going to answer as if it means undergraduate even though I did postbacc studies this past year because I didn't see another question to describe what you did in years since undergrad

II today! Complete 7/9. Surprised how limited their interview dates are...

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys, just wanted to drop by and say I'm an M1 at Loyola. The first few weeks have been amazing! The faculty are amazing and it feels like a really tight-knit community. Feel free to DM me if you have questions.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
LMAOOO my b I worded that poorly. there's only like 3 dates rn, August 24th (virtual) and august 7th + 9th (in person)
Okay does that mean they open future dates for future IIs?

• Hmm
Okay does that mean they open future dates for future IIs?
Yes Loyola interviews every Tuesday and Thursday (besides breaks) until February. Applicants are usually given 3 options.

All I want to say is don't lose hope and with hard work it's possible to improve your app! I'm a non-trad and have been working towards making a career change since 2017.

I received a II from them as a reapplicant and I'm completely on cloud 9. This feels surreal and honestly was unexpected.

You got this guys and I wish you all the best of luck this cycle!! I was complete 8/2.

Also, as an FYI they are doing both in-person (must show proof of vaccination) and virtual interviews.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
All I want to say is don't lose hope and with hard work it's possible to improve your app! I'm a non-trad and have been working towards making a career change since 2017.

I received a II from them as a reapplicant and I'm completely on cloud 9. This feels surreal and honestly was unexpected.

You got this guys and I wish you all the best of luck this cycle!! I was complete 8/2.

Also, as an FYI they are doing both in-person (must show proof of vaccination) and virtual interviews.
Congrats so excited for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Loyola interviews through Feb. There's still time. Highly recommend (when appropriate) sending update letters! (Worked for me :)) Shows continued interest!

Reactions: 4 users
Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician. -

For this question, do you guys think it would be okay to talk about not having health insurance when I first moved here because my family could not afford it?

Loyola interviews through Feb. There's still time. Highly recommend (when appropriate) sending update letters! (Worked for me :)) Shows continued interest!
What kind of experiences did you include? Was it just more classes, or continuation of experiences, or new things? Trying to figure out whether update letters make sense in my case. Also did you send before an interview or did you wait to see if you got one?

Black (Afro-Caribbean), Mexican
state of residence: IN, strong ties to AZ as well
sGPA: 3.2
cGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 507
two Honors Bachelors degrees (Health and Human Biology, Latin American and Caribbean Studies)
Ivy undergrad
NCAA Division I Athlete (1x Ivy League Champion, 2x Senior Captain)
Non-traditional
current graduate student @ U of Pennsylvania, Bioethics Masters Degree
1000+ research hours
400 clinical hours
400 volunteer hours (mainly sports and academic related)

Posting so I get notifications.
Just use the Watch tool in the top right of the thread. lol

Or avoid y’all asking STATS, etc., if I get an II invite by having it already there tech wiz.
Wow you must think you're a shoe in, already assuming you're gonna get IIs, and apparently from MULTIPLE schools since this is the second time I've seen you post your stats

(EDIT: the FOURTH, thread I've seen you post your stats in)

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 4 users
Look I'm not finna Hijack this thread to argue with you. If you can't see the difference between you prematurely putting your stats in a thread when no one asked "to get notifications" when there's a Watch option VS me posting a bit about myself in a relevant thread. You have issues LOL.

Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician. -

For this question, do you guys think it would be okay to talk about not having health insurance when I first moved here because my family could not afford it?
Yes as long as it contributes to your story and helps you answer this question. I added a lot of personal information in my app.

What kind of experiences did you include? Was it just more classes, or continuation of experiences, or new things? Trying to figure out whether update letters make sense in my case. Also did you send before an interview or did you wait to see if you got one?
now is definitely premature for an update letter. wait till nov/dec.

Classes idk if they'll make sense until you get your grades.

i included new things and continuation of exp.

I sent two updates before my interview. (I interviewed in feb)

Hey for the email that say that your application is "complete and currently under review" I was just wondering if the email is more to let us know that our app is complete or is it really under review? Just curious because most other schools have only let me know that my app is complete and said it'll take a while to review.