2021-2022 Loyola (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Advice please. I have a 504 MCAT, 3.6 science GPA, and 3.69 cumulative GPA. Is it worth applying here with such a low MCAT? I'm in state and have a good amount clinical and volunteer hours along with a year of research. Still haven't submitted my primary though. I plan to retake my MCAT in September, so I can send them my new score in October, but not sure how that'll pan out being sent in so late in the cycle.
According to the MSAR, the lowest MCAT score accepted by Loyola was a 506.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
According to the MSAR, the lowest MCAT score accepted by Loyola was a 506.
506 is their 10th %ile, not their lowest. @TypicalpremedBore , your MCAT might not be competitive, but 10% of their class last year had scores <506. If the rest of your application lines up well with Loyola's mission, then you might have a shot.

Reactions: 4 users
506 is their 10th %ile, not their lowest. @TypicalpremedBore , your MCAT might not be competitive, but 10% of their class last year had scores <506. If the rest of your application lines up well with Loyola's mission, then you might have a shot.
I apologize, I read the graph wrong. Thank you for the clarification!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It says there's a 100 word minimum for each prompt, should we adhere to writing around 400 words to be safe?

"Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere."

If I had poor grades early on in my college career (mostly because of my own laziness and poor study habits) should I answer this prompt or leave it blank? I don't really think it would add any 'understanding' to why I didn't do well. Any thoughts?

Prompt 2 asks what we have learnt from our concrete social justice experiences and then prompt 3 tells us that serving the underserved counts. Can I refer to the same activity or can I make both of them about serving the underserved in different ways? I don't know if anything else that I have counts as a concrete social justice experience. I don't know enough about social justice in the US, I'm a transfer student who has only been here for two years :0

"Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere."

If I had poor grades early on in my college career (mostly because of my own laziness and poor study habits) should I answer this prompt or leave it blank? I don't really think it would add any 'understanding' to why I didn't do well. Any thoughts?
My opinion is that unless you have a good reason (which you don't) I would let the rest of your record speak for itself.

My opinion is that unless you have a good reason (which you don't) I would let the rest of your record speak for itself.
Well it's too late lol I submitted anyway - but they were going to know regardless because I have an IA and low a GPA which I also needed to explain on the secondary so I don't think any harm was done.

Thank you, @orangezz98 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Loyola (Stritch) Secondary Essay Prompts: (Maximum 500 words)

1. Explain how you know that you want to spend your life studying and practicing medicine. Describe how the Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (SSOM) can help you develop into the kind of person and physician you hope to become.
Minimum 100 Words

2. Social justice in the Jesuit tradition, justice due each person by virtue of their own inherent human dignity, is an essential dimension of education at SSOM. Describe what you have learned about yourself from your concrete social justice experiences. Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician.
Minimum 100 Words

3. Serving underserved and under-resourced communities is an expression of social justice. Describe an impactful experience in working with and for under-resourced communities. Explain what you have learned about yourself through this service OR what has hindered your efforts to serve others in these environments.
Minimum 100 Words

4. Describe your leadership style. Provide a specific example of how you have applied your leadership style.
Minimum 100 Words

5. Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem.
Minimum 100 Words

*******COMPLETE QUESTIONS 6-12 IF APPLICABLE*******
6. Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know.

7. Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.

8. If you have not been enrolled in coursework for over two years, please let us know what you have been doing since your coursework ended.

9. Have you applied to SSOM prior to this application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to SSOM and tell us how your application has improved since your previous submission.

10. Are you currently, or have you been, enrolled in any of the following programs? (listed on app portal)

11. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain below.

12. If you did not submit an advisor or committee letter, please tell us why.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Does anyone have any advice on how to conquer the first question? I feel like I already answered why I want to be a doctor in my personal statement.

Does anyone have any advice on how to conquer the first question? I feel like I already answered why I want to be a doctor in my personal statement.
I basically summarized my main points of my PS in 1.5 paragraphs, then transitioned into how that relates to how I can become the type of doctor I want to become at Loyola

Has anyone been able to find ways to incorporate your diversity essay? I pre-wrote one I'm proud of but I'm trying to find ways to use it here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get an interview yet? MSAR says they should have been sent out July 19th.

Reactions: 5 users
Did you look at the pdf that they sent in the email? Portal is in there

Hello. Is it bad to use parts of the disadvantaged essay inserted in the AMCAS primary application on secondary questions? I did so for a lot of schools without even realizing, even though I have not submitted them yet.

Hello. Is it bad to use parts of the disadvantaged essay inserted in the AMCAS primary application on secondary questions? I did so for a lot of schools without even realizing, even though I have not submitted them yet.
I don't think it's bad, per se, but maybe reword it or talk about it in a different light? I did something similar but tried to speak about my experiences in a different perspective, that wasn't repetitive of what I said in my primary

Do prompts #2 and #3 seem very similar to anyone else? Maybe it is looking at too many prompts over and over for me, but I am having a hard time discerning between them... they both ask you to describe/explain what you have learned about yourself through the experience/service. Are you writing about two different experiences? Or framing your answer to each differently, but using the same experience?

Do prompts #2 and #3 seem very similar to anyone else? Maybe it is looking at too many prompts over and over for me, but I am having a hard time discerning between them... they both ask you to describe/explain what you have learned about yourself through the experience/service. Are you writing about two different experiences? Or framing your answer to each differently, but using the same experience?
I used two different experiences. For the second prompt, I chose an experience that was more about advocacy, and the second one was about my work with an underserved population.

Am I the only one that thinks it's pretty messed up to require a $105 payment before showing the prompts? Like sure, I can see them on here but in practice that feels like a slap in the face.

Am I the only one that thinks it's pretty messed up to require a $105 payment before showing the prompts? Like sure, I can see them on here but in practice that feels like a slap in the face.
Personally I don't think it's that messed up. If the desire to apply to a school is dependent on knowing the secondary questions (and nothing about the school's curriculum, facilities, programs, etc.) then I'd argue the level of interest isn't very high. So in that respect, it shouldn't bother someone much and they can just move on to the next school if they don't want to pay first.

Did anyone else get this email?

We have discovered an issue in your application making you ineligible for admission into our medical program. If you have any questions or believe this to be in error, please call our office at (708) 216-3229 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. central standard time Monday through Friday. I just got verified today and I'm so confused.

We have discovered an issue in your application making you ineligible for admission into our medical program. If you have any questions or believe this to be in error, please call our office at (708) 216-3229 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. central standard time Monday through Friday. I just got verified today and I'm so confused.
Woah. this is weird. I would just reach out to them to inquire about what this "issue" is?

I just got the same email
Same email for me too

Just got it too. Freaked out for a few minutes, but seeing everyone else get it makes me feel better that it’s probably an error in their part 😂
omg wow I wonder why you guys got this?! did you get secondaries ?

Yeah I think its just a glitch lol. My stats are well in their range and it's still early to send R's at this point but im not sure tho, and I don't think they screen out applicants.

Add me to this SNAFU! I won't say this is MAYO Clinic level bad (if yall remember that), but still not a good look for an institution (most secure portals in the world!#2021istheyearofglitchesLOL)

Interestingly, there was an attachment to the email with letters about 5 different masters programs.

Add me to this SNAFU! I won't say this is MAYO Clinic level bad (if yall remember that), but still not a good look for an institution (most secure portals in the world!#2021istheyearofglitchesLOL)
Wait what happened with Mayo Clinic’s? We need to know.

Interestingly, there was an attachment to the email with letters about 5 different masters programs.
I clicked on this attachment, so I'm really hoping this wasn't intentional malware from outside influence that caused this glitch. I would encourage everyone to call admin tomorrow because if Loyola was compromised we all may be at risk of having had our highly confidential information (i.e. SSN, DOB, etc.) compromised. I really hope this is just a small glitch on the part of Loyola and nothing more sinister.

I clicked on this attachment, so I'm really hoping this wasn't intentional malware from outside influence that caused this glitch. I would encourage everyone to call admin tomorrow because if Loyola was compromised we all may be at risk of having had our highly confidential information (i.e. SSN, DOB, etc.) compromised. I really hope this is just a small glitch on the part of Loyola and nothing more sinister.

That wording is particularly provocative and does make me suspect some sort of external influence. Hm. I hope not!

Just to add a data point I have received my secondary but have not submitted it and I did not get this email, maybe someone meant to release secondaries to everyone who was verified over the past couple days and accidentally hit the wrong button?

That wording is particularly provocative and does make me suspect some sort of external influence. Hm. I hope not!
Hey, I got their secondary invite July 7th and there was an attachment with instructions for the cycle. It does not mention anything about masters programs. There is a link in the attachment for the application portal but that’s it. This sounds really strange, but hopefully it’s just a glitch

I received a scary email from Loyola this evening, saying:

"We have discovered an issue in your application making you ineligible for admission into our medical program."

I'm terrified there's an issue with my AMCAS that I don't know about. I combed through their requirements and couldn't find anything that would disqualify me. I plan to call as soon as I can tomorrow, but I'm at a breaking point stress-wise with secondaries if anyone could offer any peace or advice I'd be grateful.

Anyone else?
I wouldn't stress about it just yet. It looks like a lot of others got the same message, sounds more like a glitch than anything

I'm in that mix, thoroughly freaked me out. I was verified Tuesday of last week. STRESSFUL to see that email but glad it's not just me.

Just received an email saying that the previous email was an error in their system, and a separate email will be sent to access the secondary

Just received an email saying that the previous email was an error in their system, and a separate email will be sent to access the secondary
+1 on that. I’m sure hundreds of us were about to blast the admissions office with phone calls this morning. I spent the better part of 2 hours scouring the internet as to how i possibly was ineligible.

i was scared my LOR or something else I couldn’t see was disqualifying me 😂