2021-2022 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM Clearwater)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would only consider an SMP if you have a gpa below a 3.0 and have too many science courses to make a dent on your sgpa. SMPs are kind of a final resort, I'd personally do a DIY post-bacc at a nearby college by taking upper level science courses. Combined with an MCAT retake you can increase your chances a lot. That's just my 2 cents tho, each person has a different story.
I agree with that, but I feel like most of the med schools rejected me cuz of my gpa even tho it was above 3.0. I had 3.3-3.4 gpa and 508 (129/123/126/130) MCAT. It's not good enough anymore. lol

Also, I applied late in aug/sept to DO schools. I haven't heard back from the Touro colleges yet either. I've just been reevaluating my options. I know Caribbean schools are not a safe option, but I had been considering Ross recently. I am still waiting till March and April to see how it goes. Compared to Ross, doing Nova's postbacc program didn't seem like a bad idea because I wouldn't be gambling money for no chance of residency after graduating a carribbean school vs. any MD/DO school in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with that, but I feel like most of the med schools rejected me cuz of my gpa even tho it was above 3.0. I had 3.3-3.4 gpa and 508 (129/123/126/130) MCAT. It's not good enough anymore. lol

Also, I applied late in aug/sept to DO schools. I haven't heard back from the Touro colleges yet either. I've just been reevaluating my options. I know Caribbean schools are not a safe option, but I had been considering Ross recently. I am still waiting till March and April to see how it goes. Compared to Ross, doing Nova's postbacc program didn't seem like a bad idea because I wouldn't be gambling money for no chance of residency after graduating a carribbean school vs. any MD/DO school in the US.
I have the same gpa as you and a slightly lower MCAT, I've received a ton of interviews and multiple acceptances. Your stats aren't the problem, and you have no reason to go to the Caribbean. A SMP would have minimal effect either, you probably need to apply earlier/more broadly and analyze your writing to see if you have any weak points. This process sucks and people who are perfectly good candidates, like you, can slip through the cracks just because they don't differentiate that much from other applicants. You'll probably end up somewhere by the end of the cycle, but I would just try to look for gaps in your application and shoot your shot and reapply once again once you feel you have patched those up. While I commend those who make it thru the process in the Caribbean, there is no purpose in going there if you can get into a US Med school perfectly well.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that interviewed Nov 4 hear back yet? Just checked my portal and saw that my college transcripts somehow weren’t received, really hoping that doesn’t affect it.

Anyone familiar with how long it takes to get off the waitlist or the chances of getting an A after being placed on the alternate list?

Anyone familiar with how long it takes to get off the waitlist or the chances of getting an A after being placed on the alternate list?
Hopefully there is some movement, I'm on the alternate as well.

Anyone that interviewed Nov 4 hear back yet? Just checked my portal and saw that my college transcripts somehow weren’t received, really hoping that doesn’t affect it.
I have not heard back yet as well. My portal also showed that my college transcripts were not received, not sure if that is an error

Does anyone have any information about the alternate list?

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone help me please. I’m wondering because the website is iffy. I am having to take Ochem 2 in the fall due to stinking covid once again. I’m applying next cycle. Could I theoretically be accepted or even interviewed here without taking this class? It’ll be on my transcript as registered but no grade. Plz help

Can someone help me please. I’m wondering because the website is iffy. I am having to take Ochem 2 in the fall due to stinking covid once again. I’m applying next cycle. Could I theoretically be accepted or even interviewed here without taking this class? It’ll be on my transcript as registered but no grade. Plz help
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think if you take the pre-req classes by matriculation date, you should be fine.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think if you take the pre-req classes by matriculation date, you should be fine.
I believe so as well, since the traditional path is usually finishing your degree a month or so before med school classes start.

Has anyone gotten accepted off of the alternate list yet?

Reactions: 2 users

I was accepted to NOVA with stats very similar to yours, but I’m doing a SMP. I’ve noticed that the SMP has helped me get interviews this year but above that, I think I had an app that really matched their overall mission I guess. I also remember giving them super school specific info for some interview questions as well which I think certainly helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to NOVA with stats very similar to yours, but I’m doing a SMP. I’ve noticed that the SMP has helped me get interviews this year but above that, I think I had an app that really matched their overall mission I guess. I also remember giving them super school specific info for some interview questions as well which I think certainly helped.
I think doing a SMP will also help improve my chances, and I applied to their SMP program that they notified in an "exclusive" email. lol

I am happy you got multiple interviews!! That's amazing. <3

Anyone applied to their "exclusive" post-bacc program?

I am interviewing in a few weeks, and I would love some advice/tips since this is my first interview! Also, when should I expect more information regarding the agenda and the zoom link for the interview? I have not received any other information besides the confirmation for my interview date.

Thank you, and good luck to the rest!

We have a lot of students who completed our CHPP program in our classes and they do really, really well in medical school. Personally, I went straight from college to medical school and it was a tough transition at first. My classmates that when through the CHPP got a really strong start on the year when everyone else was adjusting to the rigors and pace of medical school. In 2021 the PGY-1 match rate for U.S. MD Seniors was 92.8%, the match rate for U.S. DO Seniors was 89.1%, and the match rate for U.S. citizen IMG Seniors was 59.5% per the NRMP Report. Based on my experience thus far, the CHPP program is an excellent choice for medical school entry, preparation, and gives you the opportunity to attend programs that have a very high likelihood of matching you into residency.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I'll be giving up my seat at NOVA for another med school acceptance! Good luck to all of you!

Anyone know when waitlist movement might start?

I am interviewing in a few weeks, and I would love some advice/tips since this is my first interview! Also, when should I expect more information regarding the agenda and the zoom link for the interview? I have not received any other information besides the confirmation for my interview date.

They will most likely send you the details of the interview day a few days before. My NSU interview was pretty chill, nothing crazy. Be prepared to answer all of the standard questions. Also I believe most interviews are 2 faculty interviewing 1 student (1 physician and 1 administrator), so make sure to practice speaking somewhat equally to both interviewers. Other than that be yourself and don't overprepare! Good luck!

officially withdrew the acceptance from NSU, hopefully someone here gets some exciting news!

• Care
I think doing a SMP will also help improve my chances, and I applied to their SMP program that they notified in an "exclusive" email. lol

I am happy you got multiple interviews!! That's amazing. <3
I honestly think the Georgetown SMP might be a good fit for you if your ECs are also good! your mcat is within the range of accepted SMP students into their MD program! I'm there rn, so feel free to ask any questions! I haven't heard back from their MD program and I wont till like March I believe, but I feel like it helped me get into my state MD school! I applied to med school while starting the program, and that is what they actually encourage you to do.

Last year it started moving in mid-December. I wonder why it's taking longer this year.
Could be the number of acceptances are still high, schools tend to overaccept a bit over and I think there was an extra interview session this year

How many days before the interview did you guys receive the zoom link? mine is this week and I still havent received anything. I'm probably going to contact them soon

I've been complete since 09/20//2021. Anyone complete around this time still waiting to hear back for an II?

I've been complete since 09/20//2021. Anyone complete around this time still waiting to hear back for an II?
I’ve been complete since 10/5/21 and still haven’t heard back. I know a few people who applied before me and were rejected. I guess that may be good news for us who are still waiting.

There’s hope guys I just got an II an hour ago. Sent secondary and complete late august

I scrolled through most of this thread and couldn't find much - so can anyone tell me what the structure for the interview day is like since it's from 8am-2pm, especially the actual interview part!

I scrolled through most of this thread and couldn't find much - so can anyone tell me what the structure for the interview day is like since it's from 8am-2pm, especially the actual interview part!
+1, interviewing on the 27th!

There were about 30 applicants on my interview day. There’s an introduction to the program and interview day at 8 and during which we also introduce ourselves. At 9, we either had a one on one (or two) faculty interview or were in a session with med student ambassadors. You’ll find out your interview time slot a day or two before the interview date. The faculty interview was about 20 minutes long and very casual/conversational. The rest of the time from 9-11 was just a Q/A session with the ambassadors, during which applicants would enter and exit the session for their faculty interviews. At 11, we saw an osteopathic manipulative medicine demonstration from third year med students, who are OPP Fellows (they spend their third year in this role and end up with five years in med school, but in exchange for the extra year, the school pays for their last two years of tuition). 12-1:30 was a break for lunch. At 1:30, the dean spoke to the applicant group and we had a little time to ask her questions. It wrapped up around 2:30.

Reactions: 3 users
How many days before the interview did you guys receive the zoom link? mine is this week and I still havent received anything. I'm probably going to contact them soon
I didn’t receive my zoom links until the day before! I suspect you already had your interview, but hopefully this helps someone else in this thread. Hope the interview went well!

First, review your application so that you are ready to elaborate or answer questions related to your experiences and personal statement. Do your research on the school so that you can formulate your answers as to why you want to go to this specific school and so your responses align with the school’s mission, values, and goals. Also do this to create questions you want to ask during your interview that you aren’t able to find answers to on their website. I wrote down questions and referred to them during the interview. Since my notebook and phone were off screen, I just glanced down and even told them I wrote some down.
This isn’t necessary, but I decided to buy a $10-$15 ring light off Amazon to make sure I had good lighting. Figured it was a worthy investment since I didn’t have to spend hundreds traveling to Nova for the interview. I set up my computer and light the night before to make sure I would have good lighting and an appropriate background. Make sure your space isn’t messy, but you can still have stuff in the background (it actually helped my interview conversation and hopefully made me more memorable).
Have water and coffee (or other necessary caffeine) nearby if needed. During the info and Q/A sessions, you can turn off your camera and mic to go to the bathroom if needed.
Most importantly, don’t stress! It was a very comfortable interview and everyone was very friendly. Remember to be yourself and be genuine in your interview. Be sure to ask questions and stay engaged. Since your not there in person, your facial expression is more important so make sure you are smiling, laughing when appropriate, and keeping warm body language. Good luck!

Hey guys, does anyone know if NSU-KPCOM has mandatory attendance for classes? If so, how many of their classes are mandatory? I have been accepted and considering living situations! Thank you in advance.
No mandatory lectures but we do have classes where you need 80% attendance and then some small classes where you have to attend every session. They are probably once a month if that.

First, review your application so that you are ready to elaborate or answer questions related to your experiences and personal statement. Do your research on the school so that you can formulate your answers as to why you want to go to this specific school and so your responses align with the school’s mission, values, and goals. Also do this to create questions you want to ask during your interview that you aren’t able to find answers to on their website. I wrote down questions and referred to them during the interview. Since my notebook and phone were off screen, I just glanced down and even told them I wrote some down.
This isn’t necessary, but I decided to buy a $10-$15 ring light off Amazon to make sure I had good lighting. Figured it was a worthy investment since I didn’t have to spend hundreds traveling to Nova for the interview. I set up my computer and light the night before to make sure I would have good lighting and an appropriate background. Make sure your space isn’t messy, but you can still have stuff in the background (it actually helped my interview conversation and hopefully made me more memorable).
Have water and coffee (or other necessary caffeine) nearby if needed. During the info and Q/A sessions, you can turn off your camera and mic to go to the bathroom if needed.
Most importantly, don’t stress! It was a very comfortable interview and everyone was very friendly. Remember to be yourself and be genuine in your interview. Be sure to ask questions and stay engaged. Since your not there in person, your facial expression is more important so make sure you are smiling, laughing when appropriate, and keeping warm body language. Good luck!
I second this!! very good advice :) basically followed this myself come interview day, and it went really well which led to an acceptance!

To those that recently interviewed did they mention if there still are seats or if we are interviewing for waitlist spots?

Is there any advantage to the Fort Lauderdale or TBR campus? How would you go about choosing which campus to choose?

Completed since like july, havent heard a thing. Emailed them last week asking abt an update and said im still under review :/

Is there any advantage to the Fort Lauderdale or TBR campus? How would you go about choosing which campus to choose?
I live 20 min away from TBR campus so I’m picking it to save money. Classes are the same I think

I know some people have asked this but I don't think it was ever really answered, but the learning style is still mainly lecture-based, right? Like they haven't transitioned into PBL like some other schools?

Both campuses are the same in terms of classes, so you should pick whichever city you see yourself living in. I chose TBR for the weather and it being on the west coast.
I know some people have asked this but I don't think it was ever really answered, but the learning style is still mainly lecture-based, right? Like they haven't transitioned into PBL like some other schools?
Correct.

I am interviewing tomorrow but can not find the zoom link anywhere and I am starting to freak out any ideas?

I am interviewing tomorrow but can not find the zoom link anywhere and I am starting to freak out any ideas?
I received my link around noon the day before my interview! I would suggest that if you haven't received an email yet, definitely call them!

I would say keep your head up, I was accepted with a low 50x score!

• Care

I don’t think your GPA is too too low. I hate to say this…but I think your 123 CARS score is probably not helping you, and I’d have to see the rest of your app. I am sure you’re a strong candidate and maybe you’re just missing something. However don’t lose faith my friend. You are so worthy of this and it will come to you, I promise!!! Keep pushing and don’t give up. If you want me to look over your app at all (I was accepted here w/ a LizzyM 67) let me know. I wish you success.

• Care