2021-2022 South Carolina, Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for all your help! How would you rate the opportunities to get involved with research? Are there less opportunities with it being an older school or do most who want to participate in research get that opportunity?
I can't really speak to how it compares with other schools but most/all who want to participate in research are able to find some! We have a summer research program that the school sponsors to pair rising MII students (especially those in need of research experience/those that don't have much prior research experience) with projects during the summer after MI, and the people who were not able to participate directly in that program were able to find other projects at the school or somewhere else. There are lots of opportunities for both lab work and clinical research. If you are passionate about it and not afraid to reach out to people then you will have no problem getting research opportunities!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many interview days the school has already conducted as of today for regular decision? Also anyone knows how they make post interview decisions? Is it like MUSC where your application metrics and interview score are put into an equation that determines whether or not you get accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone this year. I am an M2 here at USC, and am procrastinating from studying currently. If anyone has any questions throughout the cycle please don't hesitate to reach out.

Does anyone know how many interview days the school has already conducted as of today for regular decision? Also anyone knows how they make post interview decisions? Is it like MUSC where your application metrics and interview score are put into an equation that determines whether or not you get accepted?
I interviewed on 10/6 and they told us that there were 4 interview dates for RD before us from my understanding. We were told that we wouldn't hear anything until 10/15 at the earliest.

I interviewed on 10/6 and they told us that there were 4 interview dates for RD before us from my understanding. We were told that we wouldn't hear anything until 10/15 at the earliest.
Thanks for the response! Do you know if they said they would communicate non-acceptance decisions before 10/15?

My portal has a tab called "Financial Aid Information" that I don't remember seeing before (but haven't heard anything yet). Does anyone else see/not see this?

My portal has a tab called "Financial Aid Information" that I don't remember seeing before (but haven't heard anything yet). Does anyone else see/not see this?
I’ve got that same tab and can’t remember whether or not that was on there before. Does anyone who has not interviewed here yet have that tab on their portal?

I’ve got that same tab and can’t remember whether or not that was on there before. Does anyone who has not interviewed here yet have that tab on their portal?
I've interviewed and I have it as well. I remember it being there before interviews though.

Reactions: 1 users
I got my first A!!!! Sending good vibes to all of you! They emailed and asked you to call them. The official letter will be sent out later.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the A!! They sent an email asking for me to give them a call. I am so excited and cannot wait to start in the Fall!

Was put on active consideration is how they worded it. Interviewed 10/13. Hopefully I'll get an acceptance later on, but best of luck to everyone else!

Is anyone an oos applicant? Any thoughts on the oos tuition?
I am an OOS student and for the first year OOS tuition is rough, my loans ended up being around 100k for the first year. But after the first year (if you follow all the guidelines like getting an SC license, address, and not having property like a car in your name in another state) then you transition to the IS tuition. In the end you pretty much pay double for the first year, so its like paying for 5 years instead of 4. But I love the school and am not too worried about an extra 50k of loans to pay off in the long run.

What are the options provided for ties to the school/state?
Are you a legal SC resident, are either of you parents current legal SC residents, were you born in SC and are you listing SC as your primary childhood residence, did you graduate from a high school in SC, did you attend and were awarded a degree from or do you currently attend a college in SC, do you have any other ties that you would like the admissions committee to consider (extended family in SC, holidays spent in SC with family, partner in SC, pretty much any reason that you would want to come to SC that is not in any of the other questions)

Does anyone know when the scholarship application normally opens?

Got the A here today. Interviewed 10/27

Interviewed on 10/27, currently under "active consideration" until the end of interview season. What does this mean exactly? Do I actually have a decent shot at getting in?

Interviewed on 10/27, currently under "active consideration" until the end of interview season. What does this mean exactly? Do I actually have a decent shot at getting in?
From what I understand, it’s that you still have a chance. Keep your head up my friend

Interviewed on 10/27, currently under "active consideration" until the end of interview season. What does this mean exactly? Do I actually have a decent shot at getting in
From what I understand, it’s that you still have a chance. Keep your head up my friend
Thank you for the encouragement!!

Is this the top choice for anyone? Can you explain why? I really love this school.

Sorry to hear. Would you mind sharing stats?

Interviewed yesterday and got the A today!! As others have said, they send you an email asking to call them back. I did not realize that and nearly had a heart attack this morning.

IS 3.9/510

Does anyone know if they have a list for interview spots? For, example if someone dropped from their interview spot, you could move up your interview date to that day

Does anyone know if they have a list for interview spots? For, example if someone dropped from their interview spot, you could move up your interview date to that day
I was wondering this, too. I got my II in September maybe for a date at the end of January

I couldn’t get a date until March 😅, so I’m debating on just emailing and asking
I got my II the first week of October and the earliest interview spot that was available to me was in February. I called the admissions and asked to be put on the waitlist for an earlier interview if someone was to cancel. It’s very unlikely that someone cancels but it doesn’t hurt to call or shoot them an email about it.

I'm planning on applying this summer to USC. I know they ask for state ties - does anyone know what constitutes a "strong" tie?
Mine are that my grandparents live in Columbia and my mom went to USC undergrad and USC med school.
Or is the only thing that qualifies is me living there?

Last edited:
For those who have interviewed already... would you mind sharing your experience? Just trying to get a picture of what I should expect on interview day!

For those who have interviewed already... would you mind sharing your experience? Just trying to get a picture of what I should expect on interview day!
It’s way shorter than any other school. I was kinda shocked/disappointed to realize they didn’t have a planned out interview day. You literally log in, the dean has like a student panel, and then you interview with 2 separate people and you’re done. They didn’t have any presentations or give you any information about the school relative to other schools interview days

Reactions: 2 users
I'm planning on applying this summer to USC. I know they ask for state ties - does anyone know what constitutes a "strong" tie?
Mine are that my grandparents live in Columbia and my mom went to USC undergrad and USC med school.
Or is the only thing that qualifies is me living there?
Strong ties are pretty flexible, can include going to school in SC, having family in SC, working in SC, etc. I would guess that your situation would qualify as strong ties but if you are worried, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to admissions to confirm before spending money on application fees!

Strong ties are pretty flexible, can include going to school in SC, having family in SC, working in SC, etc. I would guess that your situation would qualify as strong ties but if you are worried, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to admissions to confirm before spending money on application fees!
Thanks for this advice!
For anyone else reading this, the response I got from the SOM was that having extended family in the area or who were alumni is not a strong tie. However, an immediate family member who is an alumni is a strong tie.

Does anyone have information on the "active consideration" thing? I assume this is another way to make Waitlist sound less depressing.....

Last edited:
Does anyone have information on the "active consideration" thing? I assume this is another way to make Waitlist sound less depressing.....
You've been given a score by the committee. At each meeting they'll accept x number of applicants above a certain score which changes based on the scores of the interviewees since the last meeting and previous accepted students who have declined their offer. After their last interview of the cycle they have another meeting sometime around March or early April and will send out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections.

If you get on the waitlist, you will either be told in the email what tier (upper, mid, or lower) you are in or you call and they will tell you. If you're in the upper tier, you will most likely be accepted later in the cycle. Mid and lower tier are less likely however I have heard of lower tier movement in the past.

Interviewed yesterday, got the email to call them this morning!!! :0 A!