2021-2022 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's easy! :)

You just go into whatever forum you want to post it in (like this one) and start typing away in the Thread Title box between the sub forums and the sticky threads.
This would be a good place for it: Postbaccalaureate Programs

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Adding to the good news train on here I FINALLY GOT MY FIRST A!!! Been waiting so long for this :,) manifesting WL movement for everyone on here !!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, do you think I should start applying for jobs now with 4 waitlists, one of them high priority? My prehealth office is willing to support a reapplication with full committee letter, but only from next year. That's something I'm ok with since I can fill up holes in my app, such as nonclinical volunteering. It also gives me the 2 year commitment period a lot of these positions are asking for.

I'm planning to apply for more adjunct sections at different colleges, as well as a part time clinical or research job. I just don't want to be in the position of applying now and awkwardly suggesting to cancel upon receiving a possible acceptance in the hot periods of May and June.

Hey guys, do you think I should start applying for jobs now with 4 waitlists, one of them high priority? My prehealth office is willing to support a reapplication with full committee letter, but only from next year. That's something I'm ok with since I can fill up holes in my app, such as nonclinical volunteering. It also gives me the 2 year commitment period a lot of these positions are asking for.

I'm planning to apply for more adjunct sections at different colleges, as well as a part time clinical or research job. I just don't want to be in the position of applying now and awkwardly suggesting to cancel upon receiving a possible acceptance in the hot periods of May and June.
You got 4WLs (so >4 interviews). Why not just apply again with the same committee letter or ask them to update the date. Rules like these are annoying because you’re clearly competitive. So why are they making you wait?

Either way, probably a good idea to start looking for jobs. The quicker you start the more experience you can get (and more money to bank for med school)

You got 4WLs (so >4 interviews). Why not just apply again with the same committee letter or ask them to update the date. Rules like these are annoying because you’re clearly competitive. So why are they making you wait?

Either way, probably a good idea to start looking for jobs. The quicker you start the more experience you can get (and more money to bank for med school)
I wouldn't mind doing that, but I don't think my app has sufficiently improved enough to make it worthwhile. The only things that have really changed are that I have now taught different courses besides the one I specified on my app, and will gain probably around 70 or so extra hours of nonclinical by the time May will come around (I had literally 0 on my current app.)

But even if I didn't think that way, I'm pretty sure they have to resend the letter and there's no way they'll do that if I try what you say. They're also the only ones who have all my letters, so they pretty much have me hostage.

When you say "looking for" jobs, do you mean just research and save them, or take the plunge and start applying?

God I feel ****ty; currently on 5 WL (had 9 IIs). I know that it is suggested to have a back-up plan or start thinking about reapplication but god this is depressing.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
God I feel ****ty; currently on 5 WL (had 9 IIs). I know that it is suggested to have a back-up plan or start thinking about reapplication but god this is depressing.
Were the other 4 decisions R’s or are you waiting on some? Statistically speaking, you are extremely likely to get in somewhere. I know it’s hard to not have an A though. Rooting for you.

Were the other 4 decisions R’s or are you waiting on some? Statistically speaking, you are extremely likely to get in somewhere. I know it’s hard to not have an A though. Rooting for you.
Thanks, technically it's 3 Post-II Rs due to Drexel being quiet and all. Currently I am devastated by the silence which is funny since it being March. I should be stormed with pre-II Rs by now.

Last edited:
26 secondaries --> 6 II --> 4WL + 1 pending decision + 1 upcoming interview

High-er stats, solid clinical experience, great LORs, and good feedback from my interviewers.

BUT very nontraditional with a red flag (health-related). Not sure what I can fix for this or future cycles. Feeling pretty freaking low.

Last edited:
  • Care
6 II --> 4WL + 1 pending decision + 1 upcoming interview

High-er stats, solid clinical experience, great LORs, and good feedback from my interviewers.

BUT very nontraditional with a red flag (health-related). Not sure what I can fix for this or future cycles. Feeling pretty freaking low.
Add volume if possible. I would apply again this cycle considering if you got 6, there is clearly something about your app that stood out.

Got hit with the third WL last week. Waiting to hear back from one more school. This honestly sucks man. I don’t have the energy to reapply. Smh.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all hope everyone is hanging in there with these painful WL's and playing the waiting game.
So far i'm HPWL for one of my instate schools, just got a post II R from my dream school (SADNESS), and still waiting to hear back from 2 more schools I interviewed at. I was wondering if I could ask you all when most people send their Letter of Intents to the school they really want to go that they've been waitlisted at? I think I'll know where I stand for the remaining 2 schools by early April but am wondering if it would be too late to send my instate school the LOI by then...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dunno if this would be the best place for it, but what does everyone usually think about chances after being placed on the WL? For context I am currently on 5 of them (rankings/IS/OOS all over the place), just wondering if it's generally considered I might get off one or two or more or less. I know it all depends on the school, where I am on the list, how much movement there is, etc etc (and I also know that you can't predict any of that). I also know there's not much to do except wait at this point (except maybe a lil intent letter, right gyngyn and goro??), and this is merely potential speculation.

Not trying to predict, explain, or change anything, just wanted to know everyone's thoughts and opinions on it for everyone else that are on multiple WLs.

Reactions: 2 users
Dunno if this would be the best place for it, but what does everyone usually think about chances after being placed on the WL? For context I am currently on 5 of them (rankings/IS/OOS all over the place), just wondering if it's generally considered I might get off one or two or more or less. I know it all depends on the school, where I am on the list, how much movement there is, etc etc (and I also know that you can't predict any of that). I also know there's not much to do except wait at this point (except maybe a lil intent letter, right gyngyn and goro??), and this is merely potential speculation.

Not trying to predict, explain, or change anything, just wanted to know everyone's thoughts and opinions on it for everyone else that are on multiple WLs.
If you are on 5 waitlists, there is a high likelihood that you will be accepted off one. It would be in your best interest to prepare for reapplication until that happens.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on everything.

The only rule of thumb is that it is somewhat random, unless you are on a ranked list where they disclosed your rank or relative place on the list. Obviously, a priority list is at least a little better than a regular one (where the school breaks them out).

Other than that, 5 is better than 4 and not as good as 6, both because it is just more chances AND because more IIs is an indication that you are a stronger candidate, and that can only help when being considered for a call.

In my observation from past cycles, the vast majority of people with 5+ WLs received at least one call. Good luck!

Received three interviews -- 1 September, 1 late December and 1 February.

Historically they all take months to release their decision. Got WLed by my September school (sent an LOI). Grateful that it's not a R because they have been sending out those too.

Kinda worried that I received those 2 other interviews a little late, and I might have interviewed for their waitlist...

Just writing to cope with this

• Care
Hey guys, is it generally advised to state in your updates to these schools that you are currently not accepted at any medical school at the moment? My pre-health advisor mentioned that this was good to say, but I'm not sure if it comes off desperate?
This will not help.

I can see it not helping in many cases, but will it actively hurt you if you throw it in at the end? My advisor said that it can be helpful for schools to know this so that they know your seriousness and likelihood of matriculating.
At the point when most schools will be motivated for a quick answer (at the end of the cycle) they will be able to see that you are holding no acceptances, thus it is gratuitous.
Depending on the wording of the "LOI," I have actually seen such a letter hurt an application.

Received three interviews -- 1 September, 1 late December and 1 February.

Historically they all take months to release their decision. Got WLed by my September school (sent an LOI). Grateful that it's not a R because they have been sending out those too.

Kinda worried that I received those 2 other interviews a little late, and I might have interviewed for their waitlist...

Just writing to cope with this
MD or DO? I ask because MD interviewing for the WL isn't really a thing, while it does seem to be one for DO. DO has a different business model that partially relies on accepting a bunch of people early and grabbing large non-refundable deposits, all the while knowing that they are going to lose a lot of those people later in the cycle to MD programs. This causes them to very liberally dish out As early, filling the class with the intention of going to the WL later to replace these folks. That requires interviewing for the WL later in the cycle.

MD schools just don't do this. Sure there are fewer As available in February than in September, but MD schools tend to hold back some As to make them available to people they like who they don't get to interview until the end.

Just hang in there. Getting WLed while others received a R is a sign that you are competitive. You still have 2 live shots now, plus the WL. If I were you, I'd be cautiously optimistic until at least the end of May, given how many shots you are going to have (1-3) and the timing of WL movement every year. Good luck!!

Last edited:
MD or DO? I ask because MD interviewing for the WL isn't really a thing, while it does seem to be one for DO. DO has a different business model that partially relies on accepting a bunch of people early and grabbing large non-refundable deposits, all the while knowing that they are going to lose a lot of those people later in the cycle to MD programs. This causes them to very liberally dish out As early, filling the class with the intention of going to the WL later to replace these folks. That requires interviewing for the WL later in the cycle.

MD schools just don't do this. Sure there are fewer As available in February than in September, but MD schools tend to hold back some As to make them available to people they like who they don't get to interview until the end.

Just hang in there. Getting WLed while others received a R is a sign that you are competitive. You still have 2 live shots now, plus the WL. If I were you, I'd be cautiously optimistic until at least the end of May, given how shots you are going to have (1-3) and the timing of WL movement every year. Good luck!!
I appreciate this KnightDoc. These are for MD schools. So I will just be patient and see how my future unfolds. I am extremely grateful for everything I have gotten so far.

Had 4 IIs and so far 2 waitlists, 1 R, and 1 pending decision (def not A though since all my schools were TMDSAS and I matched nowhere, so it could be a WL or R) :( Man, this sucks so much

• Care
Also feeling the sting, only got 2 II as a reapplicant, with 1 WL and another pending decision :( It's tough but hang in there everyone!

Do you think it would be worthwhile sending an update to the WL school? The WL email let us know that if we had any updates, we could add it to the portal. I think it's pretty significant (middle authorship on a paper accepted to one of the Lancet/NEJM/Nature/BMJ tier journal!!!). Either way, it did help ease the sting of the WL since I received both on the same day ahaha

Last edited:
  • Care
Also feeling the sting, only got 2 II as a reapplicant, with 1 WL and another pending decision :( It's tough but hang in there everyone!

Do you think it would be worthwhile sending an update to the WL school? The WL email let us know that if we had any updates, we could add it to the portal. I think it's pretty significant (authorship on a paper accepted to one of the Lancet/NEJM/Nature/BMJ tier journal!!!). Either way, it did help ease the sting of the WL since I received both on the same day ahaha
A published paper is one of the most worthwhile updates a person can send.

Reactions: 4 users
Had 4 IIs and so far 2 waitlists, 1 R, and 1 pending decision (def not A though since all my schools were TMDSAS and I matched nowhere, so it could be a WL or R) :( Man, this sucks so much
Right there with you, 2 waitlists and 1 pending decision (no match in TMDSAS). I've been reaching out to med students who were on WL and got accepted in May and even June right after they reapplied, so anything's possible! All we can do is move forward at this point

• Care
Hello all, first time applicant here,,, was pretty proud of my app and had no red flags for LORs and interviews or anything... 6 IIs this cycle and so far 1R and 4 WL :((((( Really unsure what I could improve on my app for next year besides some rewriting and interview prep. Worst part of it all is that 3 of the schools I interviewed at were absolute dream schools and it feels SO bad to have something you want to be dangled in your face but like just out of reach ya know? and i feel like me being on the WL puts me at a disadvantage at these schools if i need to reapply....

Currently considering what to pull together for LOI and updates.... Is there any merit in sending intent to a school with more WL movement if I truly have no preference between my top choices? And are interest letters pointless if schools can just pull all intent from WL?

I don't even know what to do anymore and i feel like garbage and I'm so sad so many qualified people are being pushed aside bc of this stupid system. Anyone feel free to PM me if u want extra eyes to read over letters or anything

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hello all, first time applicant here,,, was pretty proud of my app and had no red flags for LORs and interviews or anything... 6 IIs this cycle and so far 1R and 4 WL :((((( Really unsure what I could improve on my app for next year besides some rewriting and interview prep. Worst part of it all is that 3 of the schools I interviewed at were absolute dream schools and it feels SO bad to have something you want to be dangled in your face but like just out of reach ya know? and i feel like me being on the WL puts me at a disadvantage at these schools if i need to reapply....

Currently considering what to pull together for LOI and updates.... Is there any merit in sending intent to a school with more WL movement if I truly have no preference between my top choices? And are interest letters pointless if schools can just pull all intent from WL?

I don't even know what to do anymore and i feel like garbage and I'm so sad so many qualified people are being pushed aside bc of this stupid system. Anyone feel free to PM me if u want extra eyes to read over letters or anything
I'm sorry you feel this way. You got 6 interview invites, which means that the committees saw your potential. I am sure that, along with everyone else in this thread, you can become a great physician.

If you have no preference, I would try and send the letter of intent to the school with the most WL movement or the one that seems to emphasize demonstrated interest. Many have said that interest letters will not move the needle much, but I always say that it's better to send something than to remain silent. There's no clear answer there.

Good luck!

FYI

Attachments

• MSAR Waitlist Procedures_1_8.20.pdf
    132.6 KB · Views: 310
Joining the party here. 7 IIs, 1 post-interview R, 2 WLs, and 4 more decisions pending.

At this point, I fully anticipate 6 WLs. I have lost hope. Never thought I would be here.

More of a vent post, but if anyone has any advice, im all ears.

Regardless, I wish us all the best.

Joining the party here. 7 IIs, 1 post-interview R, 2 WLs, and 4 more decisions pending.

At this point, I fully anticipate 6 WLs. I have lost hope. Never thought I would be here.

More of a vent post, but if anyone has any advice, im all ears.

Regardless, I wish us all the best.
Hey man, I’ve been there. 517 MCAT 4.0 in a grad program- 4 IIs last cycle and didn’t get in anywhere. What I will say is that it’s possible you need to brush up your interviewing skills (which sucks to hear, but try ur best). I’d do a bunch of mock ones in the event you have to reapply.

I will also say that 7 WLs means you’ll prob come off one. Movement starts at the end of April, so be patient.

3 IIs which all turned into WLs. I feel like I have to juggle finishing up senior year strong while getting a job, trying to be a more competitive applicant, and potentially preparing to reapply (even though my application hasn't changed dramatically). This all feels like a never ending cycle that I really hope to escape.

• Care
3 IIs which all turned into WLs. I feel like I have to juggle finishing up senior year strong while getting a job, trying to be a more competitive applicant, and potentially preparing to reapply (even though my application hasn't changed dramatically). This all feels like a never ending cycle that I really hope to escape.
You are young and clearly very competent to go to med school. There is a lot of time to get into school, and no one I know who takes a gap year really regrets it. Lean into wherever the things you can’t control take you, and do what you have to so you can get where you want to be. Good luck!

• Love
Does anyone know what waitlist movement looks like at T20 schools?

Do we think schools learned from the COVID cycle and waitlist movement will be back to pre-pandemic levels, or will it never be the same again?

Do we think schools learned from the COVID cycle and waitlist movement will be back to pre-pandemic levels, or will it never be the same again?
Schools over-interviewed last year due to concerns about yield that never materialized. The higher applicant numbers also contributed to the low waitlist movement. This year's waitlist movement should be better at most schools. Just my thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Schools over-interviewed last year due to concerns about yield that never materialized. The higher applicant numbers also contributed to the low waitlist movement. This year's waitlist movement should be better at most schools. Just my thoughts.
THIS^^^. Some, not all, schools increased IIs last year both in response to the huge increase in applications as well as to concern that yield would drop as top candidates hoarded IIs and As, since virtual IIs eliminated the cost of going on interviews. The concerns were overblown, and WL movement was the same as previous years. This only impacted people at schools that built a larger than normal WL (i.e., the movement was the same, but the odds of receiving a call were lower).

There honestly was nothing for schools to learn from the COVID cycle, since applicant behavior didn't really change in spite of IIs being virtual. Applications dropped pretty significantly this year. Not quite back to the level of 2 years ago, but most schools gave up at least half of last year's gains. Schools that increased IIs last year seem to have dropped them back this cycle, since yields didn't really budge last year. And that leaves us where we seem to be every year, which means there will be WL movement, and everyone will say it seems less than in the past.

THIS^^^. Some, not all, schools increased IIs last year both in response to the huge increase in applications as well as to concern that yield would drop as top candidates hoarded IIs and As, since virtual IIs eliminated the cost of going on interviews. The concerns were overblown, and WL movement was the same as previous years. This only impacted people at schools that built a larger than normal WL (i.e., the movement was the same, but the odds of receiving a call were lower).

There honestly was nothing for schools to learn from the COVID cycle, since applicant behavior didn't really change in spite of IIs being virtual. Applications dropped pretty significantly this year. Not quite back to the level of 2 years ago, but most schools gave up at least half of last year's gains. Schools that increased IIs last year seem to have dropped them back this cycle, since yields didn't really budge last year. And that leaves us where we seem to be every year, which means there will be WL movement, and everyone will say it seems less than in the past.
I feel like I see you on this thread a lot- can u back this up with some numbers doc?

The way I look at the COVID cycle

Massive increase in # of apps -> interviews harder to get

Increased ease of interviewing -> more people attending II's

Less people getting II's + More people attending II's -> fewer individual people holding muliple acceptances

fewer individuals w/ multiple acceptances by definition means less WL movement.

Maybe I'm just justifying why I didnt come off any of the 4 WL's I was on last cycle haha, but just my 2 cents! Thanks for your words regardless of if I don't necessarily see the logic. I'm prob just missing it.

I feel like I see you on this thread a lot- can u back this up with some numbers doc?

The way I look at the COVID cycle

Massive increase in # of apps -> interviews harder to get

Increased ease of interviewing -> more people attending II's

Less people getting II's + More people attending II's -> fewer individual people holding muliple acceptances

fewer individuals w/ multiple acceptances by definition means less WL movement.

Maybe I'm just justifying why I didnt come off any of the 4 WL's I was on last cycle haha, but just my 2 cents! Thanks for your words regardless of if I don't necessarily see the logic. I'm prob just missing it.
Sure. Exactly what numbers would you like? I obviously don't have precise numbers for every school, but some schools like Pitt and Vanderbilt publicly announced last year that they were increasing the number of IIs due to the huge increase in applicants. Applications dropped back this year, and so did the number of IIs. You can go on school specific threads earlier this cycle and see the discussions yourself.

As for the rest of your analysis, I will respond step by step and point out what you are missing.

1. Increase in apps making IIs harder to get. True, even with more IIs going out last year at some schools.

2. Increased ease of interviewing -> more people attending II's. Possible. Anecdotally people reported taking IIs they would have turned down in the past, but this did not manifest in schools having massive drops in yield because the same people were not grabbing IIs all over the country and not letting go. :)

3. Less people getting II's + More people attending II's -> fewer individual people holding multiple acceptances. NO! This is the fatal flaw in your analysis. The massive increase in apps making it harder to actually get an II did NOT mean less people received IIs. In fact, more people did, as some schools ramped up. But no school actually decreased the number of IIs.

Look at it like this -- the number of seats remained constant at around 22K. If fewer people were holding multiple As, that could only mean MORE people had a single A, since the number of As does not change. If WL movement did actually go down, that would only be because it was easier to get an initial A than in the past.

It didn't really happen. Every year, people look for a surge in WL movement. It never seems to come, like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. The movement is pretty constant from year to year. Individual schools have wild swings, but, collectively, the movement doesn't vary a lot from year to year. Just go back and look at the SDN WL threads from the past 2 or 3 years.

As to you specifically, you have nothing to justify. Last year was by far the most brutal in recent memory. 4 WLs made you statistically likely to receive 1 A, but, that was far from a guarantee and is highly dependent on just which schools you are waiting for. How are you doing this time around?

Last edited:
Sure. Exactly what numbers would you like? I obviously don't have precise numbers for every school, but some schools like Pitt and Vanderbilt publicly announced last year that they were increasing the number of IIs due to the huge increase in applicants. Applications dropped back this year, and so did the number of IIs. You can go on school specific threads earlier this cycle and see the discussions yourself.

As for the rest of your analysis, I will respond step by step and point out what you are missing.

1. Increase in apps making IIs harder to get. True, even with more IIs going out last year at some schools.

2. Increased ease of interviewing -> more people attending II's, Possible. Anecdotally people reported taking IIs tey would have turned down in the past, but this did not manifest in schools having massive drops in yield because they same people were grabbing IIs all over the country and not letting go. :)

3. Less people getting II's + More people attending II's -> fewer individual people holding multiple acceptances. NO! This is the fatal flaw in your analysis. The massive increase in apps making it harder to actually get an II did NOT mean less people received IIs. In fact, more people did, as some schools ramped up. But no school actually decreased the number of IIs.

Look at it like this -- the number of seats remained constant at around 22K. If fewer people were holding multiple As, that could only mean MORE people had a single A, since the number of As does not change. If WL movement did actually go down, that would only be because it was easier to get an initial A than in the past.

It didn't really happen. Every year, people look for a surge in WL movement. It never seems to come, like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. The movement is pretty constant from year to year. Individual schools have wild swings, but, collectively, the movement doesn't vary a lot from year to year. Just go back and look at the SDN WL threads from the past 2 or 3 years.

As you specifically, you have nothing to justify. Last year was by far the most brutal in recent memory. 4 WLs made you statistically likely to receive 1 A, but, that was far from a guarantee and is highly dependent on just which schools you are waiting for. How are you doing this time around?
interesting analysis! 5 II's this time LOL, 3MD, 2 DO. MD: 1 WL, 1 Post-II R, 1 pending. DO: 2 WL (suspecting yield management, but who knows!)

Resource stewardship occurs before an interview is offered!
It might go by a different name, but I HAVE anecdotally heard of people with high stats being placed on the WL, only to be later accepted off the WL. One possible explanation, at least at lower tier schools, would be that the adcom did not feel their interest was sincere post-II, and that this later changed, presumably after demonstrating the sincerity of the interest through the expected update/LOI dance.

Assuming it happens, it's no longer resources stewardship, and actually more like good old fashioned yield protection!

It might go by a different name, but I HAVE anecdotally heard of people with high stats being placed on the WL, only to be later accepted off the WL.
High stats interviewees get put on the waitlist (and taken off) for all the usual reasons. Interviewing and then waitlisting strong candidates makes no fiscal sense and is the opposite of a sound recruitment move!

Hey man, I’ve been there. 517 MCAT 4.0 in a grad program- 4 IIs last cycle and didn’t get in anywhere. What I will say is that it’s possible you need to brush up your interviewing skills (which sucks to hear, but try ur best). I’d do a bunch of mock ones in the event you have to reapply.

I will also say that 7 WLs means you’ll prob come off one. Movement starts at the end of April, so be patient.
Thanks for the response. Wish the best for us.

High stats interviewees get put on the waitlist (and taken off) for all the usual reasons. Interviewing and then waitlisting strong candidates makes no fiscal sense and is the opposite of a sound recruitment move!
got it, thank you for providing the context!

Hey y’all I need some insight. I interviewed at Baylor on November 5th (516, 3.85, OOS, ORM) and haven’t heard a peep out of them. I submitted a LOI about a month or two ago and still haven’t heard anything. From what I can tell in the Baylor SDN forum, no other OOS people have heard anything either. Am I on a waitlist? Is there even a chance in hell I’ll get in?

Second application cycle. 4 WL's (3 MD, 1 DO) last cycle. 5 WL's this cycle (3 MD, 2 DO).

I was just pulled off a DO waitlist.

I'm going to be a doctor.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 33 users
Dang, that's great. As for me, I just got kicked off a WL and was rejected by ACOM.

I still got 4 WLs to wait for, but at this point, it's depressing to think about.

• Care
Need some advice here. In a tough situation.

Applied this cycle, only to receive 2 II and 2 Waitlists. I genuinely think that my waitlists statuses are due to my low MCAT (503). I was even surprised to get any interviews at all. One of my waitlists is my in-state school (512 average) and the other is to a low-tier, very small school where my MCAT is average (waitlist is 60 students max). Both MD.

The possibility of a gap year is not what upsets me. Getting put on waitlists is not even what upsets me that much either. It is the fact that I likely have to study again for the dreaded MCAT.

I have been putting off this thought because I thought my interviews would lead to acceptances but unfortunately that is not the case up until now. I just hate how quick the cycle turn around is. Like I am going to be waiting to hear about coming off of alternate lists by the time the application for the next cycle opens.

All of this to say... what should I do?

Re-take in May so I can submit on time? Re-take in June/July and my score be late?

Any advice is appreciated.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Need some advice here. In a tough situation.

Applied this cycle, only to receive 2 II and 2 Waitlists. I genuinely think that my waitlists statuses are due to my low MCAT (503). I was even surprised to get any interviews at all. One of my waitlists is my in-state school (512 average) and the other is to a low-tier, very small school where my MCAT is average (waitlist is 60 students max). Both MD.

The possibility of a gap year is not what upsets me. Getting put on waitlists is not even what upsets me that much either. It is the fact that I likely have to study again for the dreaded MCAT.

I have been putting off this thought because I thought my interviews would lead to acceptances but unfortunately that is not the case up until now. I just hate how quick the cycle turn around is. Like I am going to be waiting to hear about coming off of alternate lists by the time the application for the next cycle opens.

All of this to say... what should I do?

Re-take in May so I can submit on time? Re-take in June/July and my score be late?

Any advice is appreciated.
I think the answer is clear- hope for the best, prep to retake. Yeah, studying stinks but stats dont like, a 503 just isnt high enough for most schools. There are obv exceptions, and you can prob get into a DO school with a 503, but i'd retake to put yourself in the best spot.

Hi! Adding my stats here. 6 applications, 3 interviews, 3 waitlists. I sent a letter of intent to one of the schools.

Also... 4.0 GPA and 509 MCAT