2022-2023 Florida International (FIU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @quaranteened_gator for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Florida International (FIU) Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Are you a re-applicant to medical school? If yes, please explain how your application has improved since the last time you applied and/or what you have learned from the experience. (1000 characters)

2. Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school. (600 characters)

3. If you have taken a gap year(s), please explain what you have been, or will be doing since graduating from your undergraduate institution. (600 characters)

C. Prerequisites and Academic Record

1. Use this area to explain any exception to the prerequisites at your institution. (1000 characters)

2. Is there any additional information about your academic record that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? Please include any academic difficulties or course withdrawals. (1000 characters)

D. Supplemental Essays

You must answer all 4 essays. (1200 character limit for each essay)
1. Miami is a vibrant and multicultural, multilingual city. You will be exposed to cultures and languages different than your own while living and studying in this city. Please explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked, or were exposed to diverse backgrounds. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.

2. Why did you choose to apply to FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine?

3. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school. Describe any support system you had at your disposal and how you utilized these resources.

4. If you are accepted into medical school, how do you envision your lifestyle will change, and what challenges may await? Similarly, what do you think will be the most rewarding and difficult part of practicing medicine in the future?

Additional questions:
5. Please share any disruptions and/or challenges you have experienced this application year as a direct result of COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in conjunction with your application. The following are some examples of topics for consideration, but are not limited to: academic preparations; extracurricular activities and/or experiences; personal and/or professional opportunities; or lessons and insights gained as a result of COVID-19. (1000 characters)

6. If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to FIU, FIU HWCOM, or South Florida. (600 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the prompts?

@wysdoc

Are you a re-applicant to medical school? If yes, please explain how your application has improved since the last time you applied and/or what you have learned from the experience. Character limit 1000 (including spaces).

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school. Character limit 600 (including spaces).

If you have taken a gap year(s), please explain what you have been, or will be doing since graduating from your undergraduate institution. Character limit 600 (including spaces).

C. Prerequisites and Academic Record​

Character limit 1000 (including spaces).
Use this area to explain any exception to the prerequisites at your institution.

Is there any additional information about your academic record that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? Please include any academic difficulties or course withdrawals.

D. Supplemental Essays​

You must answer all 4 essays. Character limit for each essay is 1200 (including spaces).
Miami is a vibrant and multicultural, multilingual city. You will be exposed to cultures and languages different than your own while living and studying in this city. Please explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked, or were exposed to diverse backgrounds. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.

Why did you choose to apply to FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine?

Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school. Describe any support system you had at your disposal and how you utilized these resources.

If you are accepted into medical school, how do you envision your lifestyle will change, and what challenges may await? Similarly, what do you think will be the most rewarding and difficult part of practicing medicine in the future?

*Edit* I forgot a couple questions at the bottom:

Please share any disruptions and/or challenges you have experienced this application year as a direct result of COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in conjunction with your application. The following are some examples of topics for consideration, but are not limited to: academic preparations; extracurricular activities and/or experiences; personal and/or professional opportunities; or lessons and insights gained as a result of COVID-19.

If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to FIU, FIU HWCOM, or South Florida. Character Limit 600 characters (including spaces).

Reactions: 1 user
If we have no ties or connection to Florida... how to answer the very last question? I really like FIU but I'm afraid they'll just throw my application out for this question. Help? :')

Hey everyone, I'm an M2 at HWCOM and am more than happy to answer questions about FIU- PM me! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
If we have no ties or connection to Florida... how to answer the very last question? I really like FIU but I'm afraid they'll just throw my application out for this question. Help? :')
MS4 at FIU here - it seems that everyone has ties in some way to Florida...have you ever visited? Do you have any family here? Do you know any current students? Do you speak Spanish or are you interested in the culture of Miami? Fan of the sports teams? I would answer the question in some way and just be a little creative about it. Obviously don't make the question into a joke but I think you have some wiggle room when it comes to "connections".

I talked about the medical school mission and culture for that question for my connection to the school itself for what that's worth. Received the secondary on Friday (6/24) and submitted yesterday (6/26).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school. Character limit 600 (including spaces).

If you have taken a gap year(s), please explain what you have been, or will be doing since graduating from your undergraduate institution. Character limit 600 (including spaces).

Arent these questions asking the same thing if one is taking a gap year

Hey everyone, I'm an M2 at HWCOM and am more than happy to answer questions about FIU- PM me! Good luck everyone!
hi i'd love to hear about your experience am on the fence about applying because of that forum on reddit saying it's very difficult to pass and the administration is bad. can you elaborate?

hi i'd love to hear about your experience am on the fence about applying because of that forum on reddit saying it's very difficult to pass and the administration is bad. can you elaborate?
of course! Everyone has different experiences going through medical school, and what was expressed in that post has not been my experience at FIU. I don't want to discredit any opinions or concerns, I just haven't experienced or been impacted by things discussed in the post. Medical school is tough but it is definitely doable here and the environment/culture in my class is great

Members don't see this ad :)

Arent these questions asking the same thing if one is taking a gap year
yeah what do ppl with 1 gap year say

OOS, secondary received 7/6. Submitted 6/6 and processed 7/5.

@wysdoc

Are you a re-applicant to medical school? If yes, please explain how your application has improved since the last time you applied and/or what you have learned from the experience. Character limit 1000 (including spaces).

C. Prerequisites and Academic Record​

Use this area to explain any exception to the prerequisites at your institution.

Is there any additional information about your academic record that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? Please include any academic difficulties or course withdrawals.

D. Supplemental Essays​

You must answer all 4 essays. Character limit for each essay is 1200 (including spaces).
Miami is a vibrant and multicultural, multilingual city. You will be exposed to cultures and languages different than your own while living and studying in this city. Please explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked, or were exposed to diverse backgrounds. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.

Why did you choose to apply to FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine?

Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school. Describe any support system you had at your disposal and how you utilized these resources.

If you are accepted into medical school, how do you envision your lifestyle will change, and what challenges may await? Similarly, what do you think will be the most rewarding and difficult part of practicing medicine in the future?

*Edit* I forgot a couple questions at the bottom:

Please share any disruptions and/or challenges you have experienced this application year as a direct result of COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in conjunction with your application. The following are some examples of topics for consideration, but are not limited to: academic preparations; extracurricular activities and/or experiences; personal and/or professional opportunities; or lessons and insights gained as a result of COVID-19.

If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to FIU, FIU HWCOM, or South Florida. Character Limit 600 characters (including spaces).
Thank you!!!

Anyone who applied to FIU MD, did they request course syllabus for all your pre-req courses? A friend who applied to the PA program there was asked for all their syllabi. I didn't keep hardly any of mine.

I cannot find FIU on CASper, has anyone had the same issue?
If not, how did you register for CASper for this particular program?

I cannot find FIU on CASper, has anyone had the same issue?
If not, how did you register for CASper for this particular program?
I don't believe they require it?

check it out on their website.
I thought they did not require it as well, but it seems like they do.
this is for their PA program, no indication of them requiring it for their MD program

Aren't these two the same question for someone taking one gap year? How do we differentiate

Aren't these two the same question for someone taking one gap year? How do we differentiate

The first one is about the future. The second one is about the past.

Hey guys, I had to call admissions at FIU for something today and she mentioned a non-science faculty letter requirement. This sounded wrong so I went to their website and it says, and I quote: “HWCOM requires a minimum of 3 letters, two from science faculty (biology, chem, physics, and march), and one from any other faculty member who has taught the applicant”

The girl on the phone said she verified with the student affairs office and they said a non-science faculty is REQUIRED, and you cannot use 3 science faculty letters.

Am I the only one surprised about this??? The website does not make that evident at all and now I’m scrambling

Hey guys, I had to call admissions at FIU for something today and she mentioned a non-science faculty letter requirement. This sounded wrong so I went to their website and it says, and I quote: “HWCOM requires a minimum of 3 letters, two from science faculty (biology, chem, physics, and march), and one from any other faculty member who has taught the applicant”

The girl on the phone said she verified with the student affairs office and they said a non-science faculty is REQUIRED, and you cannot use 3 science faculty letters.

Am I the only one surprised about this??? The website does not make that evident at all and now I’m scrambling
welllllll, this is news to me

Reactions: 1 users
So what are you guys going to do? they will not look at our application without a non-science letter?
I emailed their office and also asked if there was any flexibility for non-trads and they pretty much said no, so looks like I won't be applying. Definitely wouldn't hurt to reach out to them yourself too though just to double-check!

I emailed their office and also asked if there was any flexibility for non-trads and they pretty much said no, so looks like I won't be applying. Definitely wouldn't hurt to reach out to them yourself too though just to double-check!
I'm going on my second gap year so I'm kinda non trad. Are you in-state?

FWIW, I have 0 ties to Florida and am a current student here now! My MCAT was around average for the school and GPA was slightly above

Hi all, I am a nontrad (my last non-science class was around 2016 lol) and I emailed the admissions committee about the non-science letter rec. They emailed me back that 2 academic letters from science professors would suffice and they would allow for up to 3 additional letters from supervisors, etc. I hope that helps any other non-trads out there. (This may just be my weird case tho so I would double check with them) Just thought id share.

Last edited:
Hi all, I am a nontrad (my last non-science class was around 2016 lol) and I emailed the admissions committee about the non-science letter rec. They emailed me back that 2 academic letters from science professors would suffice and they would allow for up to 3 additional letters from supervisors, etc. I hope that helps any other non-trads out there. (This may just be my weird case tho so I would double check with them) Just thought id share.
made an account just to thank you for this. Im a non-trad and was starting to freak out by the other comments lol

they should definitely specify that better lol.... .-.

thank you for sharing!!

OOS II received 8/25!! Super excited as it's my first interview. Anyone else see dates in Sept? The only date left for me was 8/31

• Love
I was complete 6/27, LM 68.5, ORM with heavy research and underserved populations nonprofit work